[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graphics are not important. Gameplay is not important. Story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: download (1).jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7 KB, 300x168
Graphics are not important.
Gameplay is not important.
Story is what can keep a game alive forever.
>>
No its definitely gameplay. The way your own narrative unfolds in strategy games can be just as compelling
>>
Yeah, that's why text adventures and point-n-click games are so successful to this day. No one cares about graphics nowadays.

Faggot.
>>
>>322997701
Gameplay gets boring to replay. Just ask the supposed 'best game ever made' Deus Ex 1.
You can treasure a narrative much more.
>>
>>322997701

Well consider the beloved Ace Attorney series. The gameplay isn't anything to write home about. The story is what keeps it relevant and remembered years after release.
>>
No, music is.
>>
File: 1416016567034.gif (486 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
1416016567034.gif
486 KB, 500x341
Gameplay > story
Graphics are a bonus
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>322997275

URGH!

YOU BITCH!
>>
>>322998134

Gameplay is your direct interaction with the medium. Having glaringly bad gameplay will get in the way, gameplay that doesn't get in the way of the story is good gameplay.
>>
>>322997275
Gameplay, A bit of a story, and it's not looking like Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>322999292

>gameplay is best when you don't notice it

boy, talk about a freudian slip
>>
>>322998469
>Same VO as Kaz Miller

Now I know why he sounded so familiar in ground zeroes
>>
>>323001470

I'd say so. Good gameplay is functional and intuitive. Great gameplay you notice positively. A lot of RTS share very similar gameplay that changes depending on the system, but you can hop between them because core good RTS gameplay is common. Exceptionally bad or good gameplay will stand out
>>
>>322997275
Not really. Once you know the story, that's it.
>>
>>322997275
>belts
>for your arms
>>
Simpletons generalize.
It all depends on the game and genre, applying the same standards across the board is a red flag that you are simple and deserving of contempt.

There are games I still enjoy that have almost no story at all and are pure gameplay, and there are games I enjoy that have weak gameplay but tell an interesting story.
>>
File: 1255565156478.jpg (46 KB, 455x610) Image search: [Google]
1255565156478.jpg
46 KB, 455x610
>>322997275
>claims story is important
>posts game with shitty unmemorable story
>>
Why can't we get more sickdark edgy games like WW?
>>
Actually, it's the music.

Good game music brings you back immediately.
>>
>>322998134
But there's really no purpose to replay those games after you've digested the story. You're literally just going through the motions. The most interesting thing you can expect to happen is that you forget where a clue is, or something similar.
On the other hand, in games like Prince of Persia even if you're going through the same routines the gameplay's focus on execution keeps things satisfying for longer, even if the player has a perfect recollection of every challenge he'll go through.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.