[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick question /v/ I'm going to make a 2D platformer that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 600x600
Quick question /v/

I'm going to make a 2D platformer that will look like the ones from the SNES days. Except I'm not really creative with main characters so I'm thinking of using some artist's fursona as the MC. (Just the looks)

Can I get in trouble if I sell the game like that?
>>
Nice

Meme
>>
I want to be Tsuyu's boyfriend!
>>
Be original ffs
You're not trying hard enough.
>>
>>322985941

I'm not looking for opinions. Just answer my question. Can I get in trouble or not?
>>
>>322986049

Cuckolding
>>
Is this another froggirl thread?
>>
>>322984949
Didn't Freedom Planet do that? There's your answer.
>>
>>322984949
I'm not a weeb and i don't know what shes from but i want to use my tongue to
>>
If you're using it without the artist's premission, you're going to get fucked.
Ask for their permission first, or just be original.
>>
>>322986049
Yes you fucking idiot. Even if there is no legal recompense and people find out you will still be seen as a hack, which is something you dont want lingering over you as a creator. Ask for permission at least and if that is out of reach, just do a rip off version of the character, dont straight up copy them.
>>
>>322986379
Why would I be fucked? What can the artist do to me?
>>
>>322984949
Yes
If its free you might be able to get away with it though as long as you credit the original artist and/or release it somewhere out there instead of in big places on Steam.
Alternatively, you could just ask the artist for permission to use his/her characters and see what happens. You might even be allowed to sell the game.
>>
>>322986554
What is a lawsuit?
>>
>>322986270
Freedom Planet got permission though. Hell, they bought the original creator's characters.
>>
>>322984949
>I'm going to make a 2D platformer that will look like the ones from the SNES days.
You know this doesn't mean it should look like rise of rain or other indie 5 pixels per character shit right?
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 218x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 218x316
It was a mistake asking this board. No one here knows shit.

Thanks for nothing. I'll go ask a professional.
>>
>>322986929
But Risk of Rain is good.
>>
>>322986982
But we do. We just explained it to you. Have you never seen situations of this happening in the past? Character ownership is complicated and creators can fuck you over if you steal their work.
>>
>>322986049
you probably won't get in trouble unless they've copyrighted it or something. But really, try to come up with your own character, or at least ask around for character ideas.
>>
>>322986505
>just do a rip off version of the character, dont straight up copy them.
This. Dont just copy the character OP, change it at least a little.
>>
>>322987168
>copyrighting furry characters

IT
JUST
WORKS
>>
>>322984949
I sure hope so.
>>
>>322987168
I'm pretty sure it being copyrighted is irrelevant. You used their IP, and if they're not ok with that, it's a no brainer that you're fucked.
>>
git creative fuker
>>
>posting BnHA and not posting best girl
>>
here you go fuckface

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=anthro
>>
>>322986049
Yeah for making a furry game

I'd crucify you myself tbqh
>>
>>322984949
At least post the character you intended to use.
>>
>>322984949
>yet another 2d platformer with pixel art
>with furries this time

eeeeegh, do something other than 2d platformer or else you'll be just like all the other failure to launch 'indie' devs
>>
>>322986339
no one cares

autist
>>
>>322987012
I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that style of art isn't "SNES" like some indie devs seem to think it is.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.