[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lack of original IPs with original gameplay in this gen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: watch_bore.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
watch_bore.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Back when the 7th generation came out, a new IP like Assassin's Creed came out, and no matter how it ended up being milked, the whole crowds and "you can climb everything" gameplay element was something fresh, and that couldn't be done with the previous generation of hardware. While not console bound, Crysis was also a new IP with all that destruction, and many things that simply couldn't be done previously in video games.

Why this generation has such a distinct lack of originality when it comes to gameplay mechanics? Pic related is the epitome of a very old and tired gameplay in a new IP.

The 8th gen just feels like the 7th gen games with a fresh coat of paint, without shitty blurry textures.
>>
Splatoon is the closest your gonna get
Also did you really just say climbing stuff was original?
>>
money
>>
>AC
>original

Even Crysis wasn't original dipshit. Last gen was a high res version of the previous gen which took risks and created genres. But that's my opinion, and an argument can be made for every gen of games. Nothing is original.
>>
>>322628910
Climbing all kinds of buildings from any angle in an open world with tons of NPCs? It absolutely was a fresh take on open world games. Today many of those feel like they're designed by committee boring shits.
>>
>>322629084
Maybe you could point out to a shooter that had those vast maps with tons of destructibility, all that real time weapon modding, physics and more.

AC was original, even if the first game ended up being repetitive.

I would say even Modern Warfare 1 managed to be relatively original, since it marked the jump from World War II shooters to modern settings, even though it wasn't a new IP.
>>
>>322629479
Crysis was a bigger better Far Cry with nano tech. I'm not saying it wasn't awesome, but it took that engine and made the most of it.
>>
File: second donte.jpg (594 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
second donte.jpg
594 KB, 1920x1080
>>322629931
Far Cry had none of that destruction, physics, real time weapon modding and such. It definitely was in the same line of it, but Crysis went way beyond and it wasn't just a prettier Far Cry.

Today you have many open world games such as Infamous SS, they don't give a quantum leap feeling at all. That game could totally be in a PS3 if they downgraded the graphics.

Long story short: this gen the games simply aren't showing any creativity at all in gameplay matters
>>
>>322630425
Some are, just not AAA.

Some of the most significant I can think of off the top of my head are No Man's Sky and WiLD.
>>
>>322630790
>2 upcoming games
So in other words, my point is true? Because my argument is about the 8th gen games released so far being underwhelming.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.