[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree this game ruined the series? Its gameplay and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 28
File: skank.jpg (173 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
skank.jpg
173 KB, 1600x1200
Can we all agree this game ruined the series? Its gameplay and atmosphere was on point, but it completely killed and sophistication the story line might have had.
>turned town into a cliche ghost story instead of a world that tortures you based on your own inner demons
>turned pyramid head into a mascot instead of the embodiment of james sexual frustration
>every shitty silent hill movie has been based on this game
And every single game after that was kinda shitty. The only game thats on par with the story 1 and 2 had was downpour, and while were on that subject, the only thing that made downpour bad was its lack of enemy variety and goofy combat (which every single silent hill has anyways).
Why did they decide to turn the series into shit after 2?
>>
>>322544719
No. You're just spewing out pure bullshit out of ignorance.

SH3 is even better than 2 in many ways, and SH1 is the best game in entire series.
>>
>>322544719
>only game thats on par with the story 1 and 2 had was downpour
b8. DP literally has no story, and every single element of the game is mediocre at best, awful at worst. It is, no doubt, the absolutely most embarrassing release ti carry SH's name, before the patchinko came out.
>>
>>322544719
>turned pyramid head into a mascot instead of the embodiment of james sexual frustration
>>
>>322547038
Guess you didnt actually play it. You should one of these days, but hey man memes are cool.
>>322546680
please explain how 3 was better
2 killed it in every aspect
>>
>>322544719
>turned town into a cliche ghost story instead of a world that tortures you based on your own inner demons
That's what Silent Hill 1 was.
Pyramid Head is not in SH3
Only the second one, which was a sequel to the first movie which was based on the first game, to which SH3 is a sequel.

SH2fag pls go
You know what happens when they just copy what SH2 did?
Homecoming
Downpour
Origins
>>
>>322544719
I suppouse SH2 is your favorite SH?
SH3 is a great game
Just like the ones that came before it
>>
>>322544719
Shattered Memories is the best SH game. Better than 1 and 2.
>>
>>322544719
No it didn't. The demons are based off Heather's teen fears as much as James'/Angela's/Eddie's past regrets and Alessa's fucked-up childhood.

That was Homecoming, the movies and arguably Origins if you count the Butcher's obvious inspiration.

The movies took mixed inspiration from each of the first 3 games (and a bit of 4).

Play the games before you parrot out your ass.
>>
>>322547913
*the first movie, my bad

Haven't seen the second but all I know is it's a half-assed version of 3's events because 3 was 1's sequel.
>>
>>322547563
Yes he was.
>>322547801
havent played that yet
>>
>>322548209
>Yes he was
No, he wasn't.

Are you thinking of the Bogeyman from Homecoming? Or the Pyramid Head from the movies?
>>
>>322547543
I have played literally every SH game ever, besides the Arcade and Patchinko. DP was a gigantic buyer's remorse; buggy, ugly, clunky, unoriginal, stupid, and has no Skira's music.

SH3 looks and plays better than SH2, is spookier, has motherfucking Harry Mason, and the most realistic and likable MC of the entire series. The story and lore are directly connected to SH1, it changed nothing.
>>
>>322547543
Graphics
Voice acting
Difficulty
Scares
>>
>>322548101
The first movie is kinda SH1
The second movie is SH3
Did you saw the first or the second one?
Both are pretty shitty anyways
>>
>sh2babbys doesn't realize sh2 is what ruined the series

Nothing surprising here.
>>
File: frisk.jpg (65 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
frisk.jpg
65 KB, 499x500
sh3fags are the same people as mgs2fags

autistics who don't acknowledge the best stories are heavily character driven
>>
>>322548606
But both are heavily character driven.
MGS2 is based entirely around Raiden.
>>
File: blondie5.jpg (27 KB, 378x304) Image search: [Google]
blondie5.jpg
27 KB, 378x304
>>322548517
silent hill was a game about a satanic cult and a little witch girl and magical spells, sorry to tell you this, but it was shlocky pulp
>>
my favorite part of silent hill 3 is when pyramid head has an epic battle with valtiel to save heather and vincent
>>
File: 5070cf59cb62a0_full.jpg (17 KB, 270x330) Image search: [Google]
5070cf59cb62a0_full.jpg
17 KB, 270x330
>>322544719

It´s so offensive how ignorant a person can be.

Silent Hill can be divided basically in two types of games.

1.) Anything that has to do with the cult and what Dahlia Gillespie started.

- Silent Hill 1 and 3.

2.) Silent Hill is a "Purgatory" where the one that ends up there is because made something really horrible in life.

- Silent Hill 2 and 4.

Now all the games that came after that are absolute garbage, I mean focusing the games towards action instead of the experience ... really?.

The only promising one was Silent Hills because had Guillermo Del Toro and Hideo Kojima writing the story and what you could see in P.T this game showed that it would have been more related to the events of Silent Hill 1 and 3.
>>
>>322549127
Loled hard
>>
>>322549214
4 had a lot of cult stuff in its plot
>>
>>322549214
>Silent Hills

I didn't want to feel these feels Anon.

Do you think we will get a reboot of that IP?
>>
>>322548797
not really, raiden is a reactionary force to threats or incoming orders almost all the time, he doesn't drive the events of the plot at all
>>
>>322544719

>atmosphere was on point

Completely false.

This game ruined the atmosphere so hard it's not even funny. After this game everything went to LE EBINN RED RUSTY WALLS and it shows in crap like the movies.
>>
>>322549470
OK, so what plot has an MC that doesn't react to something?
>>
>>322549606
>LE EBINN RED RUSTY WALLS
What is SH1
>>
>>322549748

Not as bad as in SH3 where everything is rusty for the sake of it.
>>
>>322549214
No SH game is merely a purgatory ride, no matter how much the Hulettians would want to think so.

SH2 was an unlucky aftereffect of the SH1's events, the town literally getting stuck into automatic mental projection mode.
SH4 was all about a missguided person mastering the forbidden arts capable of harnessing the town's powers, and gaining immerse powers.

>>322549839
wrong.
SH1 and 3 share the exact same "MC" so to say, the same source of projections.
That "rust and shit" represents the BURNED OUT world of Alessa.
>>
>>322549839
The Otherworld in the first game was pretty fucking red and rusty, anon

I think it was like that in SH2 as well (although it changes when you enter other people's otherworlds), but that game spends a LOT more time in the fog world.

Point being SH3 didn't ruin anything, it was picking up where the first game left off, in just about every way.
>>
>>322550060

Congrats on missing the point, retard.

The rusty change is done in excess in the third SH, there's a strong difference with the first game where it was more subtle and not in your face.
>>
>>322549687
I didn't say a protagonist that reacts to things can't be said to be driving a story, I just pointed out that raiden is solely a reactionary force until basically the very end, his motivations are not what pushes the events of the plot forward

however here are examples of things that are definitely character driven:

shadow of the colossus
silent hill 2
the last of us
metal gear solid V: peace walker
>>
why does everyone seem to think that Silent Hill is actually the world's scariest therapy session just because SH2 was
Literally every other game besides it and Downpour are about cults and ghosts and shit
SH2 was the only original game where the town was just a psychotherapist.
>>
>>322548467
First movie. It was more of a drag-on than shit for me, but that alley-chase recreation and all the music was a treat for me. What little I've seen of the second movie (aside from that mannequin monster) has already convinced me it's shit though.

>>322548606
Anon who rates SH3 a step above SH2 here: they work well for different reasons. Latter was a good allegorical story (and everybody having their own Otherworld was cool), but I just happen to like 2 a little less only for how dull the game was in comparison. 3 just had my favorite music and visuals. None top SH1 overall though.
>>
>>322550247
> missing the point
no. Good job trying to move the goal posts and again prove your ignorance.

The SH3's burned world iscstill "burning, thus the many visual effects. The added organic designs and effects are direct hints of what's going on inside her.
>>
>>322550335
Why are those character drive?
Wander only does what the voice tells him to, because the girl died.
SH2 James just wanders around until a door opens because his wife sent him a letter.
I never played TLoU
Peace Walker was MSF doing things because Steve Blum and shitty voice actress were paying them to.
What exactly is the distinction here?
>>
>>322550515
nobody thinks that, almost everybody just prefers to think of silent hill as character driven because the cult is really silly
>>
>>322550658

Are you fucking stupid?

You just confirmed my point, retard.
>>
>>322550515
>SH2 was the only original game where the town was just a psychotherapist
And not even there exactly, if you dig a bit deeper. The Born From A Wish is so much about ghosts, it literally pulls the rag out from beneath the therapy fags' feet.
>>
>>322550720
>nobody thinks that
>almost everybody
>>
>>322550719
raiden gets sent into big shell because it's his job, and he continues because it's his job

the wanderer is trying to revive the girl because he wants to for one reason or another depending on how you interpret it

james goes to silent hill because he's haunted by the death of his wife and he has unresolved emotional issues

big boss took up the offer for pretty much the same reason as james except you replace a letter with a cassette player
>>
>>322550891
Nope. You're just splitting hairs and still failing to realize that everything in SH3 is just as well though out as in the previous games.

The design has evolved, because the circumstances and Alessa have changed.
>>
>>322550247
Yeah it's called being able to make better graphics on a newer system you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>322551057
jesus christ anon don't be a caustic nitpicking nerd

NOBODY THINKS SILENT HILL IS REALLY A THERAPY TOWN BUT THE REASON WHY DISCUSSION ABOUT SILENT HILL HEAVILY SKEWS TOWARDS THE CONCEPT OF A THERAPY TOWN IS BECAUSE IT MAKES FOR MORE A MORE INTERESTING TOPIC DUE TO THE SILLINESS OF THE CULT

THIS DOES NOT MEAN PEOPLE REALLY THINK IT'S A THERAPY TOWN, IT MEANS THAT'S THE ASPECT OF SILENT HILL THAT ATTRACTS A LARGE PORTION OF ITS FANBASE
>>
File: 1440290371054.gif (631 KB, 489x532) Image search: [Google]
1440290371054.gif
631 KB, 489x532
Try harder OP. SH3 was to be the end canonically speaking, straight from the devs mouths. Everything else was a cash grab made by konami. SH4 was barely a SH game, having less than half of Team Silent working on it, originally stemming from them just fucking around with in engine aesthetics. Then Konami told them to finish the game and slap the Silent Hill name on it.
>>
>>322551236
You're just stating the impetus of the stories and calling the whole story character-driven.

Peace Walker is event-driven.
SotC is event-driven.
SH2 kind of doesn't really have a drive because for the most part things just happen by wandering around.
>>
>>322551236
>raiden gets sent into big shell because it's his job, and he continues because it's his job
That's it? Nothing else happens in the story?

>the wanderer is trying to revive the girl because he wants to for one reason or another depending on how you interpret it
Raiden tries to stop Dead Cell for one reason or another depending on how you interpret it.

>james goes to silent hill because he's haunted by the death of his wife and he has unresolved emotional issues
He doesn't know that. He does it because someone told him to.

I still don't know what the difference is, besides you rewriting the plot summaries to fit your arguments.
>>
>>322551523
yeah why not just remove the fog too since we can have good draw distance now you fucking mongoloid lol
>>
>>322551531
>THE SILLINESS OF THE CULT
Huelett pls go and stay go
>>
>>322551531
go home huelett
>>
>>322551240
>>322551523

>The SH3's burned world iscstill "burning, thus the many visual effects. The added organic designs and effects are direct hints of what's going on inside her.
>going on inside her.
>her
>her
>her
>her

>HER

Something which was carried in the next games and thus ruining the atmosphere of the games, you fucking idiots.
>>
>>322544719
SH3 was based on Claudia's monsters. I don't see how this deviated from the formula.

Matter of fact, SH3 is the best game ever made.
>>
>>322552017
Besides very loud shitposting, I have no idea what the hell you are saying here
>>
File: 1386606517211.gif (2 MB, 286x237) Image search: [Google]
1386606517211.gif
2 MB, 286x237
>>322551531

The cult was the main basis of the entire concept of Silent Hill you insepid dolt. That and Alessa being a gifted child. Therepy town became a meme after the movies started shitting on everything and tried to paint Alessa as a hateful, bitter child and that the sacrifice actually meant burning her alive.

Heather was a sacrifice for the god in SH3, where the fuck is the gasoline and match? She wasn't burnt and almost birthed the god, fucking the process over with epoglotis.
>>
>>322552017
>the next games
>ruining the atmosphere of the games
There's a lot more wrong with the post-Team Silent games than a bad atmosphere
>>
>>322544719
I thought downpour was bad because the story made no sense because all the endings changed how the story actually unfolded because they all contradicted each other in the dumbest ways possible
there's an ending where murphy isn't in prison
there's an ending where he killed his son, napier, and pretty much everyone and feels no remorse
there's an ending where murphy did nothing wrong
also it genuinely wasn't scary or even creepy like the older games
also the giant deconstruction ball
also monsters in cop cars
>>
>>322551629
>You're just stating the impetus of the stories and calling the whole story character-driven.

um yeah, that's kind of what good character driven stories are, typically the protagonist drives the events of the plot forward due to something that's important to them on a personal level

big boss is driven by the death of the boss and the game reaches a natural conclusion when he abandons her will

shadow of the colossus is driven by the wanderer wanting to revive the girl at any cost and the game reaches a natural conclusion when the consequences of what he had to do come to pass

james goes to silent hill because he's fucked up in the head enough to think his dead wife is sending him a letter
>>
>>322552592
Raiden wants to prove himself as a legendary soldier, and later wants to unravel the conspiracy and figure out what exactly he's doing.

> james goes to silent hill because he's fucked up in the head enough to think his dead wife is sending him a letter
One of these things is not like the other.
>>
>>322552310
yeah and the cult was dumb, everyone liked the atmosphere, symbolism and imagery but it only really took off when fitted to a well written character drama
>>
File: 1369085199576.gif (883 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1369085199576.gif
883 KB, 500x281
>>322552884

>the cult was dumb

Tom, it's okay, Konami won't hurt you anymore. Just let it be
>>
>>322552592
>typically the protagonist drives the events of the plot forward due to something that's important to them on a personal level
Yes. You're right.

But you highlighted the IMPETUS.
After Snake accepts the job, he does everything because it is asked of him.
After Wander finds Dormin, he proceeds on Dormin's command.

Having a character's choice be the start of the story does not make the entire story character-driven. It has to be something that keeps the story moving the entire time.
>>
Where the fuck did Eddie get that Pizza? Is the Fog world such a part of every day life in Silent Hill that the local pizza joints deliver there?
>>
>>322544719
>Can we all agree this game ruined the series?
SH3 isn't the movies.
>>
>>322553102
Probably from the bowling alley where you find him, a lot of alleys have food for sale.
>>
>>322552291

No wonder you miss the point since the beginning, you're a fucking idiot.

>>322552352

This is one of the biggest problems with the next games. The idiots making them thought it was all about LE CREEPY RED UNDERWORLD IN YOUR FACE, LOOK HOW THE WORLD TURNS INTO IT RIGHT INTO YOUR FACE IN THIS EBIN CUTSCENE. This game is the one that ruined it hard.

Examples:

Consider the transition from the normal Midwich school into the otherworld Midwich. You go through the tunnel in the clock tower and as you come out you notice that something is different which makes it scarier. If this game was made nowadays it would be something like this which loses a major impact by being in your face and losing the subtle horror factor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snLNPt9H5J4
>>
>>322552512
This.
Also, the game lagged worse than an pot smoking Alzheimer patient , while also looking like pure crap. Had to deal with many bugs too, from forced scenes not triggering, ti being unable to pick up supplies when I would have really needed them.

>>322552884
> the cult was dumb
why does every neo-SH2 fanatic repeat this mantra?

The cult of SH is damn well written, and actually makes things creepier by adding the human element in to the events. They are however, not fully responsible for the creepy stuff going on in the games. Even the SH1's events were started by a couple extremist nutjobs experimenting with pre-existing powers, trying to gain something from it.
>>
>>322548382
> most realistic
I agree.

>most likable
Why? Because she's a hot teen? Honestly a lot of her carefree attitude was ill-fitting.
>>
File: 1450570970301.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1450570970301.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
>>322553217
Who made it?
>>
>>322552852
there's no causal relationship between the big shell mission and raiden wanting to be a legendary soldier, but yeah as you mentioned it does become character driven towards the very end, but that's why I said he's a reactionary force "almost all of the time"

>One of these things is not like the other.

it's drawing on the emotional life of james sunderland, and it's almost exactly the same situation as peace walker. both james and big boss know mary and the boss are dead, but they haven't really been able to accept what happened and that's why they drive their respective stories with their actions
>>
>>322553328
Maybe he did? Did you know that ovens are not hard to use?
>>
>>322553109
The first movie was alright
Pretty good as far as game movies go
>>
>>322552592
but all those things are just the start of the game
throughout all of those games the those characters never really develop any further or evolve or change emotionally
I mean they are part of the events of the game sure and you can assume some implied changes in their character due to the events but character driven narratives are generally about how the characters change
I don't remember the wanderer changing his goals or point of view about anything once in the whole game. Sure, I can see how some people would see that he might but it never says anything and it never explores his character, which is fine.
It's just not character driven. Not being character driven isn't a bad thing and I'm not saying character driven things are bad, but these games aren't it.
>>
>>322553375
Did it really have gas still? Electricity?
>>
>>322553051
just because you're not reminded of why the protagonist is doing what they're doing every hour or two doesn't mean it's not character driven
>>
>>322551531
The cult in SH3 was kind of silly, I felt it was best done in 1.
>>
File: 1384065756026.png (124 KB, 262x288) Image search: [Google]
1384065756026.png
124 KB, 262x288
>>322552884
>the cult was dumb
>>
>>322553464
If there were no electricity, then how is there light in the background? Seriously, stop pretending you've found a loophole in the game, you're just shitting into your hand and not thinking about anything.
>>
>>322553583
>light in the background
Might have something to do with the windows. It sure doesn't look like a halogen.
>>
>>322553484
Fact: Wander cannot move forward without Dormin
Fact: Snake cannot (and probably would not) take out Hot Coldman, recruit Paz and Chico or dismantle the AI weapons without Kaz or someone else giving him a reason to be there for it.

Even though both of those stories start by the motivation of the protagonist, that motivation is not what makes the plot move forward.
>>
>>322553307
>The cult of SH is damn well written, and actually makes things creepier by adding the human element in to the events. They are however, not fully responsible for the creepy stuff going on in the games. Even the SH1's events were started by a couple extremist nutjobs experimenting with pre-existing powers, trying to gain something from it.

it's not damn well written at all, it has multiple plot points that are just fantasy nonsense, whereas 2 and 4 used the cult and power behind the town as a jumping off point

you might as well praise nanomachines and vocal cord parasites if you're going to praise the cult, it's the same high concept nonsense
>>
>>322553583
Not him but the thing that got me is that it looked like a delivery box
Usually the frozen pizza I buy from the story has a little plastic bit so you can see the pizza.
Not a big deal though, it just irked me when I played the game for the first time.
>>
>>322553325
She's likable because she is realistic. She pretty much reacted like I would have in those situations (hell, I was 17 when I played the game for the first time).

It is also very refreshing to see a female character that doesn't fall into the damsel in distress nor femme fatale categories, but is a strong willed yet still vulnerable person. She also actually reacts to the shit going around her.

Her being a cutie is just a bonus.
>>
>>322553730
The windows that are barred up? Yeah, that's going to let in that much light.
>>
>>322553860
Well where is it coming from, then? That's no lightbulb.
>>
File: 1381647025580.gif (977 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1381647025580.gif
977 KB, 500x281
>>322553787

>it's not damn well written at all

It's based off of actual occultism. The fuck out of here with that shit.
>>
>>322553583
>>322553730
You're both retarded because the different layers of world in SH2 overlap.

That shitty little girl was never even in the fog world.
Eddie probably got the pizza from a fucking pizza place because outside of the fog and otherworld, it's just normal Silent Hill, a tourist town.
>>
>>322544719
Valtiel > Pyramid Head fite me faggots
>>
>>322553974
The light source is clearly coming from the ceiling, and is brightest just at the border of the frame, meaning that the light source is just off camera but still in the ceiling. Lightbulbs.
>>
>>322554005
Actual occultism isn't well written.
>>
>>322553443
james and big boss inarguably change or at least undergo emotional maturation, but the wanderer can be said to not change which doesn't really matter in terms of whether or not it's a character driven story

it's a story about how someone will do anything to undo the death of someone important to them, and they're past the point of caring and acknowledging the consequences of their actions
>>
>>322554139
You can see the light coming in through the bars on that picture.
>>
male circumcision
>>
>>322554198
>it's a story about how someone will do anything to undo the death of someone important to them,
What a story is about and how a story progresses are two different things
>>
>>322544719

Did you fuck up and post the wrong picture or something? None of this is applicable
>>
>>322554269
I already covered this, not enough to light the room to that extent, also you would be seeing it in streaks as opposed to a fully lit area. Your pretend autism isn't going to beat my actual autism, take your idiocy back to Reddit.
>>
>>322553784
>Even though both of those stories start by the motivation of the protagonist, that motivation is not what makes the plot move forward.

I see, so if james, the wanderer or big boss suddenly lost interest the plot would still move forward because they're being assisted by other characters?
>>
File: 1449880413326.jpg (544 KB, 1967x1422) Image search: [Google]
1449880413326.jpg
544 KB, 1967x1422
>>
>>322554404
Wander and Snake? Yeah.

SH2 is character-driven though.
There's nothing stopping him from leaving.
Excspt maybe the town
>>
File: punishedblondie.jpg (37 KB, 396x351) Image search: [Google]
punishedblondie.jpg
37 KB, 396x351
>>322554005
so?

>>322554159

qft
>>
>>322553102
The town manifested it to symbolize that he's a fat piece of shit
>>
File: 1380668321690.jpg (95 KB, 855x687) Image search: [Google]
1380668321690.jpg
95 KB, 855x687
>>322554159

>something real interwoven into something fictional is not well written at all

flippity floo, here's your (you)
>>
Do we ever actually see the Real World in any of the Team Silent games except for the parts where you creep on people outside of Henry's apartment in 4?
>>
>>322554390
Fuck off. There's tons of it, and light doesn't move solidly like that when theres so much of it.
>>
>>322553787
For such a lengthy post, you definitely don't offer any kind of backing to your claims, and even bring in totally irrelevant elements from unrelated game series.

The "cult" of the games were just Christians, who had adapted pagan rituals into their system, because they actually fucking work.
All the fancy deities, terms and object are all from the Bible, twisted a bit for their own use.

all in all,the cult's existence is crucial part of the games, and its design shows dedication to details.

BUT of course whiny, skindeep fags like you only like to think that the thing's just a bunch of Satan worshippers trying to bringvthe hell on earth.
>>
>>322554372
okay but the story progresses because of the will of the wanderer, and his will is tied to his emotional life, that's the driving force behind the events
>>
>>322554604
>There's tons of it
That's exactly what I just told you.

>light doesn't move solidly like that when theres so much of it
Unless there's a light source not being covered by boards, like a lightbulb on the ceiling.

Are you living in Africa? Do you not have light bulbs in your country?
>>
This thread is terrible. Post your favorite Yamaoka track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhoD9MUDts
>>
>>322553328
The town.
seriously.

To Eddie, the town ain't a judging purgatory. It's his personal playing ground, wayvti get back at people and enjoy it.
>>
>>322554503
>Wander and Snake? Yeah.

no
>>
File: 1360041782656.gif (621 KB, 440x247) Image search: [Google]
1360041782656.gif
621 KB, 440x247
>>322554504
>>322554159

So? It brings in factors from a sect of religion into play, that actually has fruition. Think of it like the Christian god answering your prayers, or actually getting 72 virgins for being a martyr in the name of Allah. The fact that you can't wrap your dorito crusted fingers around the concept doesn't make it bad.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 1152x694) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 1152x694
I want to lick Heather's neck
>>
File: 1449876256148 (2).png (3 MB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1449876256148 (2).png
3 MB, 1200x1600
>>322554649

Well said anon. That anon has been thoroughly blown the fuck out.
>>
>>322554585
A game having Twilight being a main plot element does not make Twilight well written.

>>322554790
>Are you living in Africa? Do you not have light bulbs in your country?
If I did it would make me the authority. There's a ton of NATURAL light coming from the direction of the hole in the wall.
>>
>>322552592
if i got a fucking letter from my dead wife telling me to be somewhere, even as a logical man i would still go there to see who is fucking with me
>>
>>322554904
This

People act like Eddie getting a pizza is weird when James literally got a skanky version of his wife practically out of thin air.
>>
>>322555006
>If I did it would make me the authority
If you didn't have lightbulbs, you would be the authority on having lightbulbs? How old are you?
>>
File: 1371865228119.jpg (237 KB, 1670x1743) Image search: [Google]
1371865228119.jpg
237 KB, 1670x1743
>>322555006

>comparing Twilight to Silent Hill

KILL YOURSELF
I
L
L

Y
O
U
R
S
E
L
F
>>
>>322554907
>Dormin wouldn't force Wander to rebuild him
>Kaz would let Snake just say "fuck it"
Hell, half of PW's dialogue is basically Kaz justifying their being there. We gotta get the money, Boss!
>>
>>322554649
my post was two sentences long
>>
>>322553807
That's because it is.
The town literally manifested a pizza, a gun, snd "bullies" fir him to shoot at.
>>
>>322544719

Is this bait?
>>
>>322555185
Why are you so mad about something that's not even relevant? Do you get mad when people talk about Justin Bieber?
If you weren't an autist you would be able to tell I'm comparing it to occultism, not Silent Hill.
>>
>>322555251
I think he went full retard and meant to chose a picture from Homecoming but either way, yes.
>>
>>322555251
Yes.
Unfortunately, baiting is the best way to kick start a Silent Hill thread nowadays.
>>
>>322555092
It would make me an authority on natural light, autist. Do you live in a metro?
>>
>>322549214
4 is about the cult and Walter tho
>>
>>322555427
>It would make me an authority on natural light
Which clearly you don't know anything about. Board up your windows and look at how much light comes in compared to what's coming in in the picture. You don't know what you're talking about, you can't even handle forming sentences.
>>
>>322555208
dormin sucks until you rebuild him and that would be an entirely different story, so the story we were referring to wouldn't continue

PW is arguable though, I can agree with that, but again it would turn into a completely different story
>>
>>322555325

>I'm going to post bait
>hurr durr why u mad tho it aint relevant xDDDD ^_~

If it isn't relevant, then don't use the irrelevant as a comparison, you deluded fuckwit.
>>
Neat, a Silent Hill thread!
Here are the download links for 1-4, so you can play them on PC:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 torrent: Kickass torrents

And in case someone's once again new to this PC gaming stuff: Use a program like DaemonTools Lite to mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.
>>
>>322555629
Wow, you really are a mad autist. Not relevant culturally. Why do you like occultism so much? Are you a witch?
I'm sorry I don't know what the hottest shitty literature is, I'll try to look it up so you don't get triggered so bad.
>>
>>322554916
it's not a subtle or complicated concept just because it's told in a subtle and complicated manner

it's literally a bunch of religious fanatics using magic powers because they're such lunatics, summed up
>>
>>322555601
>again it would turn into a completely different story
Like 90% of the story has nothing to do with The Boss or the reason why Snake took the mission to begin with
>>
>>322555717
>want to torrent sh4
>0 seeders all the way across the board

Anyone know if the 360 backwards compatibility works well?
>>
File: 1443410932620.jpg (39 KB, 580x378) Image search: [Google]
1443410932620.jpg
39 KB, 580x378
>>322555717
good job anon
a little cheerfulness in this dreadful thread
you did it
youre the best
>>
>>322556120
>XBox Version
>>
>>322556120
It was alright from what I remembered. Didn't really notice any differences from when I played it on Xbox Original Flavour.
>>
File: 1449700248083.png (110 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1449700248083.png
110 KB, 350x262
>>322555859

Relavent culture is retarded, and if you hold that in regard then why are you posting on a board about video games on a weeaboo imageboard? go back to reddit if you care about relevant culture so much. Big Bang Theory will go right up your alley with that Baspingo guy.
>>
>>322556298
Are you dumb as shit or what? The PS2 version looked like trash just like every game on that underpowered shit-heap of a system.

Xbox Original looked great.
>>
>>322548339

He's a fucking nigger who watched the movie and thinks it was an accurate representation of 3.
>>
>>322544719
SH4 did.
>>
1=2>3=4
best endings
bad+
in water
revenge
axe
chainsaw
katana
you know this is true
>>
>>322556389
Are you genuinely retarded?
I never met anybody as stupid as you.
>>
>>322556548
I think i never saw the bad+ ending
>>
>>322555905
Not him, but did anyone even claim it to be complex or deep?

The existence of the cult of the games is a good, nutritious starting point for many things. Hell, it managed to spawn the SH2, even.
Not to mention personally, I find nothing scarier than a bunch of religious extremists. The fact that the cult members in the games aren't exactly unanimous or even after all same things makes it even a more fascinating powder geg
>>
File: disgusting.gif (932 KB, 480x275) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.gif
932 KB, 480x275
>This fucking thread
>>
>>322556784
Was this webm recorded with a potato
>>
>>322556856
>webm
>>
>>322556120
The top most torrent should have seeds. I can start seeding once I get home.

dunno about the Xbox version's compatibility (Google it), but at least SH2 did not work well at all on 360.
>>
File: Silent Smash.jpg (2 MB, 1920x945) Image search: [Google]
Silent Smash.jpg
2 MB, 1920x945
2 > 3 > 1 > 4 > 0 > Shattered Memories > Homecoming = Downpour > dogshit > Book of Memories
>>
>>322556425
It really looks the same on all systems. SH and MGS ganes were easily the best looking Ps2 titles.
>>
>>322555905
The problem is that you're talking about the cult like it's the focus of the cult-heavy games, when it's not. The cult is used as a narrative springboard. What we see is mostly the fallout of the cult's fuckups or the lingering influence of the cult on the surrounding town, not the inner workings of the cult itself. So yeah, as far as horror goes it's an overdone trope, but the way SH games use it in the narrative is what makes it work.
>>
>>322557161
Probably true. So why would you play it with a beta-cuck controller like the Playstation's?

I mean my shoe size is in the double digits. I need a controller crafted for powerful American hands like the Xbox line of consoles has always offered.
>>
>>322557096
>Heather and Dark Heather
Some PSASBR shit
>Red Pyramid, Butcher and Bogeyman
Some Smash 4 shit
>>
>>322557262
This. Thank god someone finally put it well.
too many people treat the SH's cult like the series' counterpart of the Umbrella corp.
>>
>>322557460
>I am a half-giant and my obscene proportions require a controller made for the Titans in order to fit in my palm
>>
>>322557460
Because DualShock has the D-Pad in the better position for the tank controls, while the location of the analogs are not bad either, allowing you to easily control the 2D scheme games.
>>
I've never played silent hill, which games should i play and avoid?
>>
>>322547801
Shattered Memories is grossly underrated.

I almost think it was the least scary game of the series, but for me the story and pacing more than made up for it.
>>
>>322557981
It really shined in the fog world bits. The monster related gameplay kind of fell apart on itself but the moments of wandering around the isolated empty snowstorm town were well done at least.
>>
>>322557965
Play 1-4
Avoid the rest
Shattered Memories is optional
>>
>>322557965
Play the Team Silent's games (1-4).
ignore ALL the rest and the "HD Collection".

Grab them from >>322555717
Dum the lights, turn up volume, lower the Brightness, play on Normal modes, minimum.
>>
>>322557863
>the location of the analogs are not bad either
Completely false.

>>322557702
Completely true.
>>
>>322557965
> Play
SH1-4
> avoid
all the rest. Well, except Shattered Memories, perhaps, but only on Wii, and only after the originals.
>>
SH3 is good and everything but god damn some of it's locations blew ass. The sewers and the theme park in particular felt uninspired.
>>
>>322558441
The PS2 controller is fucking perfect, Kouhai
>>
>>322555717

I admire your dedication, anon-kun
>>
>>322558710
Ta mate.
At least I can help rookies like >>322557965
>>
>>322558691
>Not swearing a blood oath to Nintendo and using the N64 controller.
>Not moving on to Xbox since it was better than PS2-3
>Being this beta.

Keep calling me your cute little anime names, I don't know what they mean, but your controller choice is atrocious.
>>
Can we have a Silent Hill thread where everyone isn't fapping to 1-3? I'd actually like to talk about the western games that isn't filled with "Hurr hurr they are non-canon trash!"
>>
>>322559747
But anon, the western games are more often than not shit.
>>
>>322559908
But we can't spend every thread talking about 3 games when there are more. There's even an arcade SH game and comics.
>>
>>322559747
But they are noncanon trash.
>>
>>322557262
I like how the cult is a trope, but they really went into detail by fleshing out their underground workings, sects, financing, certain members' plans, etc.

Things like that really make it stick out excellently, and make me wish there was a game about when the cult first started getting serious and doing drug deals and rituals.

I really feel bad for the writers who put so much depth into the cult just for shitters like Hulett to attempt to erase them from the series.
>>
>>322557981
I feel bad that Sam Barlow's take on the SH series was a bomb financially, I would've liked to see more. Instead he's out making things like Her Story instead. I guess this is the worst universe to be a Silent Hill fan in.
>>
>>322544719
SH3 has better bossfights and puzzles than SH2. Overall SH2 is still the best game in the series.
>>
>>322557615
I would like them to go full Umbrella at least ONE time.

>>322560139
They had a massive role in Homecoming. even though they were just copy and pasted from the movie.
>>
>>322560041
Then make an interesting post or thread about the western games and see if it takes off. This shit has to happen organically, son.
>>
I hate SH never had a fan base who could create great art. DMC has some of the best fanart out there.
>>
File: 1427227044094.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1427227044094.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>322544719
>ruined the series
>>
>>322560041
The comics are good for a laugh and that's about it. Granted, that's more than what the western SH games brought, but they're still so shit that it's really hard to discuss seriously.
>>
>>322560139
True that. It's a big fucking bummer that people are criticizing a well thought major element of the series, just because of their own (often false) prejudices and assumptions.
More than few people also seem to mix up SH1 and The Movie nowadays.
>>
>>322560385
In another universe Team Silent was never disbanded.

In another universe Tomm Hulett and his flunkies carried on the legacy of Silent Hill with their unique ideas.

In another universe Silent Hills is being made.
>>
>>322560423
That's why Homecoming was about ending the cult, so Hulett didn't have to acknowledge it anymore.
>>
>>322560794
But weren't they just a sect? They didn't want to unleash God upon the world.
>>
>>322560496
SH fanbase created tons of fancy art during the golden years. Shame I'm not on my computer at the moment.

>>322560794
crazy theory, busted by the fact that the HC's cult and town were completely different.
>>
>>322560496
There were a few good ones back when the series was in its prime. There was one artist who did fairly realistic art that I loved but I never managed to find a name or a website for.
It drove me crazy.
>>
>>322560385
At least he's getting recognition in some form.

Though I would have really liked to see Climax Studios continue with psychological horror. Shattered Memories was easily my favorite of the newer SH titles.
>>
How come their isn't enough dedicated people to make some Silent Hill fan games?
>>
>>322560927
Sadly no, Hulett said in that games canon that was the last remnants of the entire cult, and Alex killed them all. Of course that means that he has to ignore the fact that travel is possible, and that things like Walter can happen, but it's Hulett, he never paid attention to things like that.
>>
>>322561293
It's a game that is really popular among western fans which means it doesn't attract as many autists with the free time to make one as weab trash does.
>>
>>322561197
>>322561038
I'd love to see it, I never saw much beyond 14 goth weebs drawing things for DA, even now it looks like nothings changed.
> pyramid head posing with fucking slenderman
kill me
>>
>>322560139
They were fine as an introductory conflict, but I think there was only so much they could do with the cult.
>>
File: dementium.jpg (18 KB, 256x230) Image search: [Google]
dementium.jpg
18 KB, 256x230
>>322561293

Because you aren't looking hard enough. Lone Survivor is another one, for the record.
>>
>>322544719
>>turned town into a cliche ghost story instead of a world that tortures you based on your own inner demons

But bro, Silent Hill isn't limbo.
>>
>>322561761
This is the game that got a PC sequel, right?

Because the sequel just looked like an action game with Doom-inspired elements.
>>
>>322561984

DS sequel that got ported to PC years later, but yes. 2's actually even more like SH in terms of sheer aesthetic.
>>
>>322561790
It isn't a ghost time. It's supernatural therapy.
>>
>>322561761
I really want to like Lone Survivor for its tone and atmosphere, but I'm absolutely terrible at navigating a 2D environment with a 3D map.

And the fact that there's a constant timer on needing to use finite resources doesn't help.
>>
>>322561598
There was this guy who'd written his very own SH fanfic, and did superb art related to it too. I think his name was Dorian or something, and he literally looks like the SH4's Walter as well.

What comes to the other kind fanart, the Knickknack's Silent Hill 2 chibi comic is a classic.
>tfw they'll never make a part 2 & up for the Flash animation adaptation
>>
>>322561761
>>322561984
>>322562101
>>322562112
The 3DS remake flopped, by the way.

The developers are worried they might not be able to remake 2 at this rate.
>>
>>322561293
Well there's Allison Road, which is supposedly meant to be a successor to PT.

And there's Forgotten Memories where they're going to call in Guy Cihi to play a role, as a fun little homage.
>>
>>322562351

Well, shit. I don't think 2 needs remaking to be honest but 1 definitely needed to have its save system fixed, and apparently the remaster did just that. I'll probably buy it on sale one of these days since I did play the original back in 2007.
>>
File: kick.jpg (9 KB, 185x164) Image search: [Google]
kick.jpg
9 KB, 185x164
Are you just pretending to have actually played the classic SH games? SH 3 had a better story than 1, did the town the exact same way as 1, and did not have Pyramid Head in any way, shape, or form. Only the second SH movie is vaguely based on 3.
>implying Downpour is any good at all, especially story which was it's weakest aspect

I'm convinced that you played SH Downpour and maybe Homecoming, then watched the movies and are now pretending that you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>322562568

>Forgotten Memories

Man, when is this shit coming to not-iOS? It actually looks good but I'm waiting for that shit to hit Vita already.
>>
>>322562756

Either that or he's the biggest SH2babby on this site. I like me some SH2 but it's the odd one out of the original trilogy and I think OP missed that.
>>
>>322562794
Wasn't it coming to PC as well?
>>
>>322563016

I don't know if it is, actually. I don't quite know what all platforms it's actually coming to, just that Vita is one of them.
>>
>>322562993
SH has a really weird group of people that pretend to play it and like it but the games are actually too old or difficult for them. I think it's people who love amnesia/slender and things like that and want in on SH but have actually only played the new ones and seen the movies.

OP is clearly an ass clown of the highest calibur and has certainly never played SH 1 or 3. Nobody with a functioning brain could say Downpour did ANYTHING better than SH 1-4, and I fucking hate SH 4. Downpour was even worse than homecoming.
>>
>>322560041
Everything after 4 is absolute, irredeemable gutter trash with the exception of Shattered Memories.
>>
>>322544719
You mean the fact that Silent Hill 3 being so good it killed the series? Maybe, but I also blame Konami being themselves. Before last year's fiasco.
>>
>>322563564

I don't entirely dislike 0rigins, but that's because it apes 1-3 so hard in its design that it's somewhat decent by default, even if it is a pale imitation. That said, it's still trash if you're playing these games for the story.
>>
>>322563769
I honestly don't know what Konami is thinking. Severing Silent Hills and deleting PT so suddenly like that and not even making some half-assed apology/statement about it is downright cruel.
>>
>>322563361
>Downpour was even worse than homecoming.
You people need to stop spewing that horseshit.
>>
>>322564007
>you people
I am one person and that's my opinion. Both games are shit but Homecoming had cool bosses, at least tried with enemy design and didn't ape SH2 to death. Silent Hill Downpour is just a boring shitfest with no redeeming qualities and an atrociously bad story.
>>
>>322564007
He is telling the truth.
HC at least has Akira's music, looks decent, and plays fine for the most part. It is still pure crap though, but I'd much rather replay it than DP or Origins.
>>
>>322564007
Downpour has more to do. Homecoming has maybe 2 pretty good bosses. That's pretty much their only good qualities honestly. Both are pretty equal on the shit scale to me but I'd rather play Homecoming over Downpour since its insanely short even compared to previous games.
>>
Silent Hill 2: Electric Boogaloo made the series shite because of it's banana flavor. As for the first, it's Flamin` Hot flavor was great!
>>
>>322564750
intelligent post
>>
>>322564301
>>322564409
>>322564602
Here's the deal with Downpour
>Plays like classic a SH
>Main character is in a way interesting
>Good town exploration
>Decent puzzles
>Nice weapon variety
>Better scares
>Better atmosphere
>>
>>322564007
C'mon, Downpour is a shit. Doesn't even have Silent Hill atmosphere. Homecoming at least tried.
>>
Silent Hill 4 has some of the shittiest design choices of the entire series and it's my favorite.
>>
Here's the problem with Silent Hill: It's only divided into two kinds of elements:
>The "I did a bad" character who goes around the town that's telling them they did a bad and somewhere towards the end they admit they did a bad.
>"The "I gotta stop the cult" plot.
>Sometimes both mixed together

That gets boring if it's a factor in EVERY game.
>>
>>322565657

Well yes, games that cared about the storyline went with the cult angle, while everyone else saw SH2's success and went full "DUDE I GOTTA TRY THAT". It is what it is.
>>
>>322565657
It isn't
Look at 4
>>
>>322565034
Murphy is boring as hell, and considering the shit writing and endings him even being the "main" character is questionable. He is better than Alex and maybe on par with Henry but he's never developed due to how its written.

The town exploration is indeed better than HC, which is why I said it was longer, and in turn more dull to play cause playing a boring game for long doesn't stop it from being a bore. Hc is short, which would be bad on a good game but is a godsend to a bad one.

Puzzles in all SH games sucked since 4. The weapons were shit to, just like HC. But DP does have variety if you're willing to take more time to bother.

Scares were horrible, cause the enemies and atmosphere were horrible. HC has dumb enemies but good bosses, DP has a shit boss and enemies.

I'll leave the classic play alone since I'm not sure where you draw the line for the "classic". But if you ask me, both are far from it. HC manages to make it super cheesy and DP made it infuriatingly counter intuitive,
>>
>>322565924
>I gotta stop Walter aka the cult
>>
>>322566398
When is Murphy's main character status "questionable"?
>>
>>322566821
The ending where Cuningham is in his place. It puts him in the place of Sewell, and makes him come off as the villain, basically negating most of the original story. Not to mention the whole end game revolving around her hatred for Murphy, which tries to show that the whole time that a lot of things centered around her. Which in that ending it's not her its him, but not really him but whatever angry cop chases her when the story inevitably repeats itself and- basically fuck it, it's a goddamn mess. Either way, the ending makes his role virtually meaningless cause of all the holes the endings can create.
Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.