[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it really that hard? If I don't think I'm good at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: header.jpg (32 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
32 KB, 460x215
Is it really that hard?
If I don't think I'm good at video games, will I kill myself over it?
>>
Yes, it's super duper difficult. Only expert gamers can beat it.

It...will be a challenge. Are you up for it?
>>
no, its a dumb meme game
>>
it's called prepare to die for a reason..
>>
>>322472687
it's ok, got to the most famous boss with mkb.
Now, 2 is a lot more bullshit though
>>
>>322472929
2 is easy compared to 1
>>
>>322472687
It's difficult because it is constantly subverting your expectations based on the adventure games you have played previously. Caution is always advised
>>
>>322472687
I'm horrible at video games and I'd it's just kind of difficult. Not balls to the wall hard at all. The first game you play in the series will probably be your hardest. After that, you'll have adapted to its shtick and the rest will be pretty alright.
>>
>>322472687
Just backstab enemies. The AI is shit so you can circle them for days
>>
>>322472929
>with mkb
Properly configured m+kb is perfectly fine and no worse than a controller, it's not an achievement. You do need the mouse fix though.
>>
>>322472687

It's actually not hard at all... Only thing is that the game doesn't tell you shit and doesn't hold your hand, that's it. When you die it's mostly because you don't know what to expect, regardless after I found the Halberd I could one hit most small enemies and the only hard part of the game became figuring out where you need to go and what to do next.
>>
File: 1389109174484.jpg (150 KB, 668x719) Image search: [Google]
1389109174484.jpg
150 KB, 668x719
If you have patience, look around every corner, divide and conquer, learn from your mistakes and most importantly don't ragequit easily, it's not that hard at all.

People who say it's hard are idiots who ran out of patience and ran into enemies without thinking
>>
It's hard until you realize strafing, rolling, and butt hugging will win 95% of the fights in the game
>>
>>322473443
>>322473536
think it'd work as a way to train myself to not be such a quitter bitch who never challenges himself, then?
>>
It's not really hard. It's just you have to constantly learn what comes next.

Over a single playthrough, the next one is much, much easier because you know how it works.
>>
>>322472687
It's only hard if you're stupid, the game doesn't spoonfeed you help, though it still drops hints here and there. Otherwise the game itself is not particularly difficult.
>>
>>322473685
Yes.
Make no mistake, the game is challenging, but it's not particularly hard.
>>
most of the time, and since the last decade or so, games treat you like a person with Downs during the initial hours

the Souls games throw you into the deep from the start

I think this is what makes these games feel difficult or challenging, because most of the hard and tedious parts are happening early on

but every moment spent in the game, progressing and leveling, make it gradually more easier, and the sense of gaining more and more control over a harsh environment is pretty rewarding
>>
>>322472687
its not that hard, just take things slow and remember to upgrade your gear, rushing will kill you more than anything.
>>
>>322472687
I have watched a girl play and complete DaS anon. You are better than a girl right?
>>
File: 1451725590568.png (974 KB, 1356x1071) Image search: [Google]
1451725590568.png
974 KB, 1356x1071
>there will never be a game as hard and unforgiving as Dark Souls
>>
>>322473403
I played both 1 and 2 on M+KB multiple times. Works much better in 2. The O+S fight in 1 is a fucking nightmare, because basically, the controlls suck horribly without locking on and if you lock on, it keeps switching targets constantly with you having almost no control over it.
>>
>>322473967

Try any roguelike where you actually lose all your progress on the first death.
>>
>>322472687
It's honestly not that bad. It's extremely punishing, but not hard.

I always thought I sucked at video games because I was just average at everything and I managed to beat all the Souls games.
>>
It isn't too hard. I had a lot of trouble until I got the halberd.After that it was smooth sailing. Learn how to dodge properly and don't forget to upgrade your weapon.
>>
>>322473852
Link anon, I'm lonely and want to hear a woman's voice.
>>
I'm shit at games like these and got my ass kicked a lot on my first character.
Then in both I made another character with no armor and no shield and managed to die very little.
Most challenge comes from not knowing what's ahead. If you take your time and plan ahead you'll do fine.
>>
>>322472687

Depend on how you play. The game is not made to use heavy armors. If you go naked is a joke
>>
if you find a game interesting fucking pick it up and play, don't ask /v/ about it
>w-what am I in for
PLAY
THE
GAME
>>
>>322473017
maybe it's the class I rolled but normal enemies whoop my ass (because I didn't get how effigies worked). I'm at the pursuer now, the giant guy was a fucking piece of cake though.
>>
>>322472687
its hard but only in a 'all enemies kill you in one hit and have unique attack patterns which you cannot rely on player skill to defeat so you have to learn how to fight them through repetition' kind of way.

if you took the best dark souls player and put him against a new enemy he would die multiple times. the only people who are 'good' at this game are literal autists who of course thrive off the most repetitive game series i can think of
>>
It is hard, but fair. In almost all cases, when you die, it was because you fucked up. It is challenging, but it just forces you not to assume the game is trying to help you. It doesn't hold your hand.

It is not the hardest game ever made, but it respects you and expects you not to be a shitter, and that's very welcome in a big production today.

Plus, the atmosphere is great.
>>
File: 1450673670569.png (440 KB, 645x1260) Image search: [Google]
1450673670569.png
440 KB, 645x1260
>you will never play dark souls for the first time ever again
>>
>>322473983
With the fix the mouse controls are fine, and you can bind other stuff to whatever key is comfortable for you. If they sucked horribly, you didn't bind stuff properly and/or did not set a comfortable sensitivity.

>Works much better in 2
Funny, when I got DS2 at launch I tried M+KB since that's what I was used to, and found out that for some reason there was a delay on the mouse buttons. Had to switch to my 360 pad.
>Press M1
>Half a second later the attack comes out
Could be fixed now though, really wouldn't know.
>>
>>322474338
That's bullshit. An experienced souls player might not know the attack pattern, but will still approach carefully, shield up and ready to roll. If you seriously died every time you met a new enemy, I don't know how you stuck the game out.
>>
>>322474374
Good, so much unexplained bullshit that are the most important mechanics in the game.
>>
>>322474374

difficult != not tutorials
>>
>>322474485
> I don't know how you stuck the game out
i didn't, i dropped it relatively fast, about 3 hours in
>>
>>322474374
I can't wait to play DaS3, I'll actually knows what I'm doing from the start and will still get the joy of discovery.
>>
the controls is shit
>>
>>322474697

DS3 will be even worse than 2
>>
>>322474697
Same. It'll be the first souls game I will get to play when it's new and unspoiled.
>>
>>322472687
You can cheese pretty much the whole game with the heaviest armor you can find and mindless button mashing along with one heal here and there.

The game is far less forgiving when you go the dodging way instead of the tanking through everything way.
>>
>friend asks for a game recommendation
>likes skyrim, lotr, games and settings like that
>tell him to buy Dark Souls
>he does
>dies all the time, never makes meaningful progression
>"UGH, WHAT do i DO?"
>"uhh well you just gotta uhh...git gud"
>gets mad at me

lmao i'm not gonna spoonfeed you, you baby. figure it out yourself
>>
>>322474638
Then you weren't experienced. How would you know what experienced players go through?

I am pretty goddamn mediocre at the game. Played DeS and DaS, currently playing SotFS. I don't die at every new enemy. Hell, several bosses I get on the first try(not bragging here, most people would). Still, I also encounter the odd boss that repeatedly pushes my shit in, one even frustrating me to the point my friend eventually did it, just so we could get on with our marathon of me completing it in one weekend.

Experience in souls isn't about memorizing attack patterns. Sure, it's one part of it, but a small one. Experience is simply a way of playing, being careful and measured, knowing what to look for. And yes, one in a while an attack will catch you completely off guard. But for the most part, you can learn without dying.
>>
>>322474119
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTUtYVcSww&list=PLFPEDTXyQKoNbqs8NEkKbObhIGrVmRhxT
Seriously one of the better blind playthroughs ive seen. Hell she even writes down shit NPCs tell her so she has a list of objectives to cross off. She starts off fumbling and looking at the buttons on the controller. Ends up being one of the smarter players ive seen complete the game. It really shows that anyone can do it with patience and perseverance.
>>
>>322472687

I'd call it enjoyably challenging. You're going to die a lot but the gameplay is satisfying enough that you'll want to always try again.
>>
>>322472687
It's about as difficult as Castlevania 1 is. If you don't think Castlevania is hard, then it's not hard.

The "Difficulty" simply comes from the fact it eschews normal conventions and is it's own thing. Once you adjust to the game's rules and understand the design conventions, then it';s about as difficult as any other game. The reason why people struggle with it is they've been so trained by conventional video games that they don't even comprehend there is a challenge presented to them that they have to adapt to.

I would call it "Different, not difficult".

I mention castlevania because at the time the idea of having a locked in jump, that you had to comit to, was considered either archiac or "bad design", but it was done on purpose, and once you adapt to something like that, the game becomes drastically less difficult, just like dark soul's combat or control schemes.

Maybe I should have just posted a reaction image and a meme in spoilertext oh well
>>
>>322474891
>Unironically spouting retarded memes to your friends
wew lad
>>
>>322474697
see >>322474786
most of us were hyped for DaS2,
look how it turned out.
If bloodborne is of any indication, 3 may be better then 2, but I am not holding my breath for it.
>>
>>322474786
But I'll discover that it's shit on my own anon. Isn't that amazing ?
>>
it's not hard, you just need to pay attention and learn patterns. most people nowadays fail with those asic skills, that's why it's considered hard.
>>
>>322472687
No, it's punishing. There's a difference.
>>
>>322474971
Thanks anon, Dark souls is one of the very few games I genuinely enjoy watching other people play.
>>
>>322474891
>>likes skyrim

You should have deduced from this that he doesn't enjoy a challenge.
>>
>>322474891
You sound like a shit friend. I have a friend playing it for the first time right now. He's a dad of two, so he hasn't been playing that much vidya lately, and is pretty rusty. I give him tips along the way, on how the game works, so he can get on with things and don't let minor stuff hold him back(how equipment and stats work, for the most part). Even popped in so he could summon me for a boss he had trouble with(without being an op twink ofc)
>>
>>322474971
>She starts off fumbling and looking at the buttons on the controller.
I did the same since I only somewhat recently got a controller.
I still sometimes pour estus on my face when I meant to roll instead.
>>
>>322472687
Just more health and damage for enemies, sub-par AI (you can cheese anyone except most bosses), scattered storyline, lots of builds, gankers everywhere.

You'll get the hang of it two hours in. Oh, and the keyboard controls are shit. Use a joystick.
>>
>>322475059
das2 is easier than dark souls and bloodborne
>>
>>322475059
>look how it turned out.
I don't get you people.

Dark Souls 2, is a better video game than Dark Souls 1. If we're talking pure mechanics, combat, frame rate, resolution, etc. Then there's no question. It's better.

I don't like the setting or story as much but when people on /v/ call it a bad game because it's less than perfect, it's the kind of shit that makes people completely avoid this board, you're all nuts.
>>
>>322474891
I don't get how people are confused on what to do in Dark Souls.

>first NPC you see tells you your immediate first goal
>after which you see a cutscene of where to go next
>frampt appears just in case you're extra retarded
>arrive in Anor Londo, find your way to O&S, beat boss
>give frampt the item he asks for
>tells you exactly what to do next
>rest of the game is just checking bosses of a checklist until gwyn
>>
>>322475117
Same. You know what is coming and witnessing their reaction is priceless no matter what it is.
>>
>>322474998
Idk m8, in speech that does just sound like "get good" and iirc it was "you just gotta get good at it, figure these out for yourself".

also

>git gud
>a retarded meme
>not the best DaS advice you can give

sounds like you're bad at the game, friendo :^)
>>
>>322475117

You're following the current playthrough one guy is doing every night since about a week ?
>>
>>322475350
Nah, is it good? First time I'm hearing about it, is there a link?
>>
>>322472687
The difficulty thing is really just a marketer thing.

The game is just ruthless if you screw up but if you are patient you shouldn't have too much trouble.
>>
>>322475276
>first NPC you see tells you your immediate first goal
>go to the graveyard
>get killed by skeletons over and over
>quit
>>
Is armor really worth it in dark souls 2?
>>
>>322475141
The only information you should be giving your friend is game mechanics. Or obscure shit that is never explained. You shouldnt be telling him what enemies are weak to what, or which weapons to use because that is just cheapening his experience.
>>
>>322475172
I'd say it's both easier and harder.

It's braindead but at the same time complete unfair bullshit.

It's not challenging, but at the same time it's artificially difficult.

You probably wont die to a boss, but you'll groan at getting ganked by 12 enemies at once.

The enemy AI is nonexistant, but at the same time they have almost every resistance possible. Especially the DLC enemies.
>>
>>322475429
That guy's name is skelgraw, look him up on Steam.
>>
>>322475569
Fashion is always worth it. Wear what you like, and don't be a puss.
>>
>>322473017
I had barely any issues with 1 even against artorias or kalameet while I died a lot more in 2, especially in the DLC
>>
>>322475141
i would hope that a college aged guy who's been playing video games pretty regularly for the last few years would need quite a bit less assistance that a father of 2.

besides, it's not like "trial and error" is a difficult concept to pin down
>>
>>322474993
i don't think that is a fair analogy. castlevania 1's combat was nowhere near as complex and so much more could go wrong in a 3d environment. if dark souls were a 2d platformer, which its not, i think it would be very similar and enjoyable but someone good at castlevania 1 or 3 aren't going to be immediately good at dark souls
>>
>>322474338
You're just shit at the game if you think that
>>
>>322475583
Not telling him that, no. But stuff like, what to look for in scaling, what stats really do, whether to upgrade like crazy.

Figuring out how to progress, that's up to him. But I do tell him, if he gets frustrated with the skeletons, for an example, that he should possibly go somewhere else.
>>
>>322475191
Tastes exist anon.
Das2 may be better on the tech side, I simply find it vastly inferior to all the others souls game due to its uninspired level design and bullshit enemies. There is nothing nuts about this, I am not calling DaS2 a shit, and many think like this even on normies sites.
>>
>>322475583
Oh yeah, and I told him to hit me up when he's rung both bells. Plan to tell him how to get to the asylum.
>>
>>322475585
>but you'll groan at getting ganked by 12 enemies at once

Oh please, the few times this actually happens you can tell it will and plan accordingly in order to make sure you don't get fucked it. It's only dumb if you try to fight 'fair' or whatever bullshit.
>>
>>322474971
>mfw there are other Kay fans than me
too bad she hasn't played bloodborne yet and is playing some shit games now
>>
>>322475664
b-but what about stats???
>>
>>322475276
Where you're supposed to go for blight town is totally non obvious.
>>
>>322472687
I see this question every single day on /v/.
It's not hard. Whats so amazing about Dark Souls is that it's different from other modern games in that it will not hold your hand and spam you with tutorials and how-tos.
>>
>>322475695
We kinda agree, but I'd still try and encourage him if I were you. You don't have to hold his hand, but tell him what to expect(hardship) and what he should utilize(patience) and possibly how to make things easier on himself(how do weapon scaling work, how does dr on shields work, significance of humanity)
>>
File: Capture.png (2 KB, 257x25) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2 KB, 257x25
I'd (you) all the helpful posts but I'm a lazy fuck so thanks, anon.

>>322473769
Here's to coming out not a bitch, then.
>>
>>322473017
I got frustrated with 2 and stopped playing because it felt like they were just throwing hordes of enemies at me to emulate difficulty, and it became more annoying than enjoyably challenging. Like that one bonfire that has 3 enemies that attack you before you're even done with the stand up animation. That game was a bummer.
>>
>>322475939
>tfw she got a new microphone near the end of the DaS playthrough and I hated the way she sounded
I havent watched any of her other stuff. I was really only interested in DaS because id never seen a grill do a successful playthrough. She impressed me.
>>
>>322476015
DON'T well maybe a little
>>
I think it's the most fair of the souls game.

Demons and DS2 had this nasty habit of intentionally putting you in situations where the odds were stacked against you constantly even if you knew how the game worked.
Not that DaS doesn't have places that fuck you over for the first going there. Valley of the Drakes spring to mind.

DaS isn't hard unless you suck shit at games in general and once you figure out what everything actually does, the game is piss easy to play. It's why after Anor Londo the quality degrades abit since at that point, you have figured out both your playstyle and most of the games nuances that it refuses to tell you.
It's still challenging but not to the where its memetic status would imply.
>>
>>322476730
>It's why after Anor Londo the quality degrades abit since at that point, you have figured out both your playstyle and most of the games nuances that it refuses to tell you.
More like devs ran out of time and threw some shit together and hoped no one would notice.
>>
>>322477084
No boss in the game other than perhaps Manus and Kalameet makes a newbies ass tighten up than that fight.
>>
>>322477210
Anon Kalameet and Manus were DLC, they had time then.
>>
>>322477210
What boss, Tom and Jerry ?
>>
Its difficulty is greatly exaggerated by scrubs who haven't played a lot of video games and also the game's marketing. As long as you take it slow and be aware of your surroundings the game isn't absurdly difficult to get through.
>>
>>322477304
It's hard in the beginning but it becomes easy once you round out your build with stats/weapons/spells/etc. The game is actually good in providing you tools that fit whatever build you want as you progress in the game (unlike Bloodborne, where STR/SKL is king and if you stray from that you're fucked until the DLC).
>>
File: 1429980437547.jpg (332 KB, 1600x1422) Image search: [Google]
1429980437547.jpg
332 KB, 1600x1422
>>322474374
>tfw i ruined my first playthrough by following a guide
>>
>>322476547
What the fuck? all i wanna know if armor is really worth in dark souls 2, if i can go full fashion without worrying about having my ass kicked all the time
>>
>>322478924
Armor only exists for Fashionsouls in DaS2
>>
>>322478924
Only worry about weight, under 70 percent is what you should aim for no matter what you are wearing, give or take a few armour pieces with special effects.
>>
The only reason dark Souls is so hard is that they give you no directions, that and certain areas are just two harsh in your frames *cough* blighttown *cough*. Also miyazaki has a ladder fetish.
>>
>>322479484
OI LOIK LUDDURS
>>
File: 1451682034671.png (61 KB, 300x185) Image search: [Google]
1451682034671.png
61 KB, 300x185
I also forgot to mention, people are assholes and invade you rarely but when they do. All you can do is hope they don't have homing crystal soul mass.
>>
>>322479484
>The only reason dark Souls is so hard is that they give you no directions,

So, Crestfallen Warrior and Frampt don't exist?
>>
ONE ON ONE FAGGOT
>>
File: swordfu.jpg (566 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
swordfu.jpg
566 KB, 1920x1080
>>322478924
As long as you don't PVP, stats literally do not matter.

And even if you PvP, you're a fucking cunt if you min-max with Jester-havel shit

Really, just go full fashion, the only thing you have to watch out for is that you don't weight too much.
>>
File: 1451815699670.webm (3 MB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1451815699670.webm
3 MB, 720x540
>>322473967
Have ever played the Ninja Gaiden games?
Or are you just being retarded?
>>
>>322479882
>calling anyone else a cunt with that get up
>>
This game is a sum of your ability to learn and patience. You are probably a retarded kid, so it's going to be a rough ride for you.
>>
>>322479792
To be fair, "up" and "down" is not much in terms of direction. Finding the church bell is pretty obvious and easy, sure. But finding the one in Blighttown is much more convoluted
>>
>>322479792
Some people don't listen to dialogue, I did but my friend didn't and I wanted to smack him for it, also when I say it doesn't give you any directions I meant not like how'd you expect, since most of the time you at least have a map
>>
>>322479968
He meant a real game
>>
>>322479792
>There's one bell on top and another down
Whew
>>
>>322480002
I should probably preface that by saying that I use this strictly for that image, I mostly use the Fume sword or DGS when I actually fight

Her name is literally *unzips katana*, so I thought the edgiest Katana would fit with her image.

But yeah, fuck chaosblade hexers. there's literally no joy in using it PvP
>>
I'm terrible at video games and I beat it. The second time is ridiculously easy, too. As long as you can learn you'll be fine.
>>
>>322480149
First time I played, I went to New Londo, thinking a bell was there since it was the furthest down place I could find.
>>
>>322472687
It's very challenging and even unfair at times, but eventually you get used to it and dying just becomes part of the routine
>>
>>322480452
>unfair
Literally when
Seath's room of iminent death and despair not counting
>>
>>322480773
You sometimes fall victim to shitty camera angles and hitbox detection
>>
>>322480773
Lost izalith, but that area wasn't finished so it would be unfair to use that as an example

perhaps the firekeeper soul in blighttown? idk
>>
>>322480907
not really in 1, moreso in 2
>>
File: DHYnTwPRsA-2.png (52 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
DHYnTwPRsA-2.png
52 KB, 300x250
Once you find a faithful sun bro you should be alright, being a sun bro is fun as long as you don't have a nignog who doesn't estus you when you need it because of bullshit AOE attacks.
>>
>>322481080
Disregard this
Never summon in your first playthrough, doing so in NG+ or on new builds is alright
>>
>>322481313
This. You'll spoil the challenge for yourself and won't get gud.
>>
>>322481313
>Not summoning Solaire for jolly cooperation
>Not summoning Sif for extra feels
>>
Coming from DS2, I'm having some difficulties. DS2 is quicker and more responsive and also more about taking care of various enemies at once. Rolling is much more valuable.

DS1 is more about duel fighting, you're always trying to find an opening and heavy hits are more rewarding. Also, there's much less space for rolling, bosses turn much more difficult. Also, damage sponges.
>>
>>322472687
Only /r/pcmasterrace thinks it's hard because they never tried Demon.
>>
>>322481456
Right, because I want to take away any resemblance of challenge for the sake of memeshit.

There's no reason why you shouldn't just wait for NG+ to summon
>>
>>322474338
>all enemies kill you in one hit and have unique attack patterns which you cannot rely on player skill to defeat so you have to learn how to fight them through repetition

confirmed for never playing the game
>>
>>322481313
>implying anyone plays DkS in NG+
>>
O&S is the only really hard thing in the game, if you can't beat them you can always just summon to cheese it though
>>
>>322481638
>Summoning NPC kills challenge

Depend on the fight, and the NPC.

Yeah abusing it is not advised though.
>>
>>322480927
>unfair to use Lost Izalith because it wasn't finished
Come on, I love Dark Souls, but an area being unfinished and broken is certainly a fair reason to call it unfair.

That said, the only broken part of Lost Izalith is Bed of Chaos.

And the last part of the Siegmeyer quest if you don't snipe some of the conemonsters.
>>
>>322480927
>>322481890

also as a side note, there are two shields that have good poison blocking ability, and you certainly don't ever have to grab that firekeeper soul, let alone before you find either shield.
>>
>>322475512
>Go up
>Goes down

Retart.
>>
File: Dead Zones.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Dead Zones.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>322481548
>DS2 is quicker and more responsive
No it's not.
>>
>>322472687
Protip: if it's featured on Finebros, it's a casual piece of shit than babies can play
>>
>>322482092
>you certainly don't ever have to grab that firekeeper soul
b-but
>>
>>322482323
oh boy the same 10-15 webms that get spammed every single thread you sure showed him
>>
>>322482318
>decide to go down first because you are never told you should start with going up
>go to the graveyard since it leads kinda down
>get killed by skeletons over and over
>change directions
>go to new londo ruins
>get killed by ghosts over and over
>quit
>>
>>322482323
Should I take from this that its the characters ability, or inability to walk in a smooth circle when the analog stick is rotated 360 degrees?
>>
>>322472687
Its not hard its irritating. Theres a difference
>>
>>322481638
>There's no reason why you shouldn't just wait for NG+ to summon
How about the fact that I feel like it and the game encourages it
>>
>>322482594
Yes. Your character in Dark Souls will spin in place, but the character in DS2 has an area that it can't get to from where he's standing because his turning radius is too wide.

>>322482486
Of course they're posted, they're relevant.
>>
>>322482594
Yes.
>>
>>322482323
dude, in DS1 the actions are so slow and so queued up I can perform attacks I commanded 3 seconds earlier. It's slow as fuck. That doesn't happen in DS2. It was one of the first things I noticed.

Also, fast rolling is more attainable in DS2, so there's actual proof.
>>
>>322482692
The game does not encourage it, every boss fight is designed to be fought with one player in mind.

Again, it's your choice, just realize that the game is much more uninteresting if you choose to summon.
>>
>>322482692
And I feel like ramming a dildo up my ass, which is fine, but also makes me a faggot.
>>
>>322481638
Yeah cause there's so many reasons to go into NG+ in Dark Souls, like;
-Using Gwyn's soul for something

Oh and I can only imagine all the other people just waiting to get summoned.
>>
>>322482323
I actually prefer if the characters didn't swivel as if they were a doll on a spinning mechanism.
>>
Just make sure you play offline so you don't get invaded by faggot griefers.
>>
>>322482986
I did say it was okay to summon if you made a new build, this is strictly about your first playthrough, so fuck off.
>>
>>322482931
>doesn't encourage it
>multiple NPC summon signs
>can turn human outside boss doors instead of at a bonfire
Sure
>>
>>322482921
Dark Souls does queue earlier, yes, because a big part of the game is committing to your button presses. As for "fastrolling" in DS2, I believe it is faster if you've dumped all your points into agility and don't wear any armor, but you still have too much recovery on your roll. Dark Souls 1 is far more snappy, quick, and responsive.

>>322483041
Well I prefer precise controls in my video games.
>>
>>322483205
Gives you the option =/= encourages
>>
>>322483104
But Anon if he doesn't go online how will I gift him 99 dung pies before sticking him in the ass? Think of how many souls he can get for 99 dung pies Anon.
>>
>>322483205
Yeah, and a lot of games have a "skip this fight if it's too hard" option if you die 10 billion tries.
>>
>>322483228
First of all, "earlier queuing" is direct proof that the game is everything but "snappy". Secondly, you didn't understand what I said about rolling. In DS1 you have to be almost naked to roll fast (less than 25%). In DS2 it's less than 75%.
>>
>>322483461
70 percent actually but yeah.
>>
>>322483205
>can turn human outside boss doors instead of at a bonfire
you can do that? how?
>>
>>322472687
>Is it really that hard?

Short answer: No. It doesn't play itself like many other...cinematic.. games, but it's not even on the level of many old SNES games.
>>
>>322483778
using an effigy
>>
>>322483461
>First of all, "earlier queuing" is direct proof that the game is everything but "snappy"
No, it isn't at all. "Snappy" doesn't mean that you can cancel your inputs, it means you snap from one action to another smoothly.

I don't understand your point about rolling. Yes, Dark Souls has a slower playstyle, so it's possible to be slower. Is that what you're saying?
>>
>>322472929
>>322473403
I beat DaS1 without the mousefix
it was hell and I gave up at Gwyn several times, uninstalled it twice before beating it
>>
It's not hard. It is more difficult than modern AAA gaming, but it's not as hard as the original castlevania.

It does require you to take your time and approach encounters with a bit of caution until you've got the hang of things though.
>>
>>322484109
That's dark souls 2
>>
>>322473176
>the AI is shit
lol no haven't you read the lore?
being hollow makes them slower and more cumbersome
you can infer this from several items in the game
>>
>>322472687
It's hard in the sense that most other games don't have small enemies that will kill you as quickly. The game is all about learning the timing of attacking, defending, and dodging, as well as the enemy patterns. It's a high learning curve for most everyone that hasn't played one of those games before. If you stick with it, you will eventually become good enough at the game where the early parts that you had trouble with will be a piece of cake. Just always remember to keep trying and don't feel like you have to push through a certain area of the game if it is giving you a lot of trouble, since it is free form enough where you can traverse areas in different orders, and is in fact encouraged if you are banging your head against a wall.
>>
>>322484557
Exactly the AI is shit
>>
>>322484238
It's more likely that you're gonna have to take hits with a shield and not roll at all in DS1 than in DS2. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just different. While in DS1 you have to think about what to do before getting your shit pushed in, in DS2 you can dive into it quicker, if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>322484760
>It's more likely that you're gonna have to take hits with a shield and not roll at all in DS1 than in DS2.
If you choose to fatroll. Dark Souls 1 allows for quicker play.
>>
>>322484943
>allows

If you're naked.
>>
>>322485239
If you build your character for it and keep your equipment burden under 25%
>>
>>322485239
>>322485352
Let's be completely honest, not maxing out Endurance in Dark Souls is fucking dumb no matter the build.
>>
>>322474993
Castlevania is much more difficult execution wise than dark souls. Medusa heads require sharp reflexes. The difficulty in dark souls is almost entirely based in decision making rather than twitch skill.
>>
File: 30 - 7aUKzxJ.jpg (241 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
30 - 7aUKzxJ.jpg
241 KB, 1920x1080
>>322482323
This explains a lot. I was having trouble figuring out why my character's turns felt sudden and difficult to predict in DS2.
>>
>>322485550
>>322485352
I am maxing END, but then I cringe every time I do 1/1000 of the damage I need to kill a fucking giant bird.
>>
File: 1242345346346346346346.png (1 MB, 1130x1080) Image search: [Google]
1242345346346346346346.png
1 MB, 1130x1080
>>322479796

You want bullshit? Wait till you get to play BB and encounter this guy.

Bravo From
>>
>>322476407
Even more than omggrill I thought it was really interesting watching someone obviously completely uninvested in video games play DaS. It was interesting to see how the lack of vidya experience led her to avoid certain common pitfalls but also caused her to attempt to apply inappropriate real world logic where most of us probably would have accepted that as just normal vidya bullshit (the fucking boards in lower burg).
>>
>>322485650
DS2 forces you to CALM DOWN and think SLOOOOWLY. Every false move you make leaves large windows for punishment.
>>
File: 19 - 3Xm3Ycb.jpg (636 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
19 - 3Xm3Ycb.jpg
636 KB, 1920x1080
>>322486391
Just like DS1 then?
>>
>>322486537
Yeah, except it feels like shit to play.
>>
File: 1451342717196.gif (866 KB, 200x242) Image search: [Google]
1451342717196.gif
866 KB, 200x242
>>322485983
>Wait till you get to play BB
Still waiting
>>
>Tfw finally killed Kalameet in a 1vs1 honorabru fight (except for the giant arrow in his spine)
>Killed every boss save from Gwyndolyn and Priscilla because I decided to be a bit of a moralfag for my first playthrough
>No reason to hold off anymore, go to the Kiln of the first flame
>Die once, accidentally fell
>Solaire is in for the ride, I'm a sentimental, see
>Black Knights are no matchs for the both of us
>Reach Gwyn
>Beautiful music, weak-ass fight, or perhaps I'm overleveled, he's no match for us
>I praise the sun to Solaire one last time and he disappears
>Link the flame
>pumped for DS3
>>
>>322487641
Well anon, be glad that Solaire's ashes have been mixed in with yours in Dark Souls 2gd4u
>>
File: success.png (71 KB, 984x226) Image search: [Google]
success.png
71 KB, 984x226
desu it's pretty easy senpai
>>
>>322488330
i wanted to write desu not desu and senpai not senpai
>>
>>322488330
'desu' and 'senpai'
>>
>>322474374

perhaps the only game I've truly enjoyed since I was a kid
>>
>>322488330
>>322488614
>>322488428
fuck this
>>
Nope. It's easier than DaS2 and Bloodborne, at least I feel so but I played DaS2 first, died around 300 times to beat the entire game, played Bloodborne second (also around 300 deaths) and played DaS1 last and died 153 times. I am a normal player and everything I had to do to beat all the games is being cautious all the time and try to learn from my mistakes.

Go for it.
>>
>>322488719
Hey anon, can you help me. What is the man whose wife fucks other men called again? I forgot.
>>
>>322472687
It's hard until you realize "Oh it's SUPPOSED to be retardedly clunky and bullshitty", then it's easy.
>>
>>322488918
that's an easy one, it's cuck
>>
>>322489139
Oh fuck, when did they remove this filter?
>>
>>322489358
KEK
>>
>>322472687
it's not hard but it's not fun either don't fall for the meme there are better games to play anon.
>>
>>322472687
remember to play in offline mode if you want to summon solaire for bossfights. otherwise you will be raped on the way to the fight over and over again
>>
>>322489358
what was the filter?
>>
>>322488918
cuck, senpai

curious what the filters are so here you go
>>
>>322489659
"kek"
>>
>>322489810
>>322489659
>>322489358

F
A
M

gets turned to senpai
>>
>>322489923
yeah and

t
b
h

into desu
>>
>>322490181
It's probably so Mooty Chan can understand us
>>
>>322476407
>>322486064
I generally enjoy watching blind Dark Souls LPs, whether from people experienced with gaming or not. I've only found two I've liked beginning to end though, Kay's and NotSoRetro's. Most people just get really fucking whiny and start looking up guides, and other interesting playthroughs are not blind.
>>
>>322478051
I've only used a guide for specific things.
The first thing I looked up where to go/ how to get was the covetous gold serpent ring. Before that, no guide. After that, no guide until I wanted to start the DLC and didn't know what to do, and once I found that out, I was on my own for the rest of the game.
>>
>>322480773
>Be me
>Time to fight the Gaping Dragon
>Enter arena
>Cutscene
>Cutscene ends
>I fall through the ground before even taking a step

The game is fair challenge, but when it goes retarded, it sure isn't.
>>
File: 2016-01-03_00001.jpg (188 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-03_00001.jpg
188 KB, 1280x720
>>322476147
I got robbed.
After rolling off the ledge because I'm a clutz the boss decided to come with me.
It counted as the boss dying, even though I had the YOU DIED before it even walked off.

Good so far though. every enemy posing a threat is nice. Two hours, killed a boar, pretty neat.
>>
>>322492107
Seems like a glitch, never happened to me.

Anyway, the discussion is based on the leveldesigning, monsters and overall gameplay of DkS, in which case I'd say it is completely fair.

I cannot think of a single death which was not somehow my fault, with the premise that the Seath encounter does not count
>>
>>322491757
>NotSoRetro

Haven't heard of him, in exchange have you heard of Zemalf? I've enjoyed his from beginning to end.
>>
>>322492659
I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
File: tiger.jpg (6 KB, 294x172) Image search: [Google]
tiger.jpg
6 KB, 294x172
>Has 2 swipe attacks that have the EXACT same animations except they have completely different wind up times

Fuck this cunt. Every other boss was easy as piss. I didn't even bother thinking about fighting TWO of them for my solo run.
>>
>>322488330
Just got all achievements yesterday. Feels good being the 1% to get all of them, at least on steam
>>
>>322472687
It's difficult to learn, easy to master.
Hard to get used to the combat, but eventually things will click and you'll cut down everything in your way.
>>
>>322485983
EVERYTHING IN THIS DLC SCREAMS!

that guy has the most autistic grunt scream I've ever heard. Holy shit does it piss me off so much.
>>
>>322472687
Just don't approach it like you are some unstoppable bad ass like in other games, because you are not. Caution is indeed always advised.
>>
>>322493132
holy shit it's really 1%
>>
any good guides for skill point distribution? that's the only thing I'm confused about
>>
>>322495343
Endurance points never go to waste.
>>
>>322481030
> Not realy in 1.
> Dogs.
> Bed of Chaos.
> Dragon asses.
> Ceaseless Discharge.
> Iron Golem.
>>
>>322495343
Stats severely diminish in returns 40 points, so never go higher than that. Never level resistance, always level endurance. Attunement is just for getting more spell casts if you're a caster. Other that, just play around and figure out what works for you, it's pretty self explanatory.
>>
>>322480773
>Literally when
When the game randomly clips you through the floor while you're parrying/riposting/backstabbing.

When the game randomly delays your input mid-combat.

When it decides to drop the framerate to single digits for no reason/

When it allows the retarded AI to stab you through solid walls when it makes no sense (paper-thin Anor Londo walls for instance).

When your backstabs/ripostes just plain old don't register because of shoddy ground geometry.

Pretty much in every instance where the game engine shits itself and ends up fucking you over. Which, this being a From Soft game, happens thirty times more often than it should in a "finished" released game.
>>
>>322479968
>using the flying swallow like that
That said, that game was fun as fuck. I liked the kusarigama and regular dragon sword the best.

Fuck, I want to play Ninja Gaiden now.
>>
>>322496471
thx m8. downloading
>>
I'm thinking about buying both 1 and 2 before the steam sale ends. Is it playable with mouse+keyboard or is it better with a controller?
>>
>>322498116
If you're thinking of getting DaS 2, get SotFS. For DaS 1 you'll need a fix to make the mouse+keyboard controls better.
>>
>>322498116
Definitely play with a gamepad if you have one.
>>
>>322498116
KB+M is fine, perfectly playable, didn't try controller, so can't say how it compares
>>
>>322472687
It's not really "hard" as much as it is unintrusive. The game lacks any of the handholding common with games today and is pretty nonlinear not only in terms of gameplay but story as well it takes a great deal of effort on your part to understand the plot and your role in it.
You will die quite a bit in the game but you're supposed to it's part of the game experience and unlike other games death is cheap and hardly sets you back at all.
Just play it and you will start to get the hang of it.
>>
>>322472687
i started it yesterday, and after a cuple of hours i was getting my butt ravaged by tauros.

tried the repeated plunge attack trick, got him down to about 40% hp but then i failed to dodge him and got wreckt

tried butthuging him and got him to about 60% before i got shrek'd

guess i need to git gud
>>
>>322499360
Start as a Bandit and pick Black Firebombs, use them to kill him when you first meet him for a surprise.
>>
>>322499043
>handholding
You know, I'm sick of of hearing this word applied to every single thing that Souls games fail to explain.

Would explaining how ADP works in DaS2 be handholding?
Would explaining how invasions work in Bloodborne be handholding?
Would having a tooltip saying what "Kindle" does be handholding? (Funnily they fixed that in DaS2 by explaining what burning each item does)
Would having NPCs actually move from location to location (or at least move around target locations so you can spot them easier) be handholding?

Because it just seems to be it would be better game design.
>>
File: 2016-01-02_00002.jpg (336 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-02_00002.jpg
336 KB, 1360x768
>>322472687
>>322472687
It's difficult but it becomes easier as you learn it.
Know the range and speed if your weapons/spells/miracles/etc. and it become easy as pie.

>>322473967
>what is XCOM and even X-COM

dumb animeposter
>>
>>322499360
Hold your weapon in both hands, it increases your damage, including the plunge attack damage
>>
>>322499617
I meant mostly in terms of where you're supposed to go and the plot.
The game expects you to explore and discover where you're supposed to go yourself.
DS is basically a 3d metroidvania you just go everywhere until you find someplace new you can get to.

I agree that a lot of mechanics are never explained, I didn't even know how to invade until I had beaten the game already.
>>
>>322500127
i'll keep that in mind

>>322499601
i started with some wizard like class just for giggles and killed the asylum demon in 10 seconds flat with some weird bombs. kek
>>
yup this game is bullshit. you loose every single exp if you die. so first 10-15 hrs will be boring as hell. then you might enjoy the game.

Ps: Use a fucking trainer. lever up like 25 times ( don't be greedy) then you may enjoy the game.
>>
>>322500579
>the plot
The plot is spoonfed to you around the half point though. By three separate characters nonetheless.
>>
>>322473017
He said bullshit, not hard.

And it definately is. Way more swarms, weird hitboxes, weird attack timings and the Agility stat do indeed make the second game more bullshit.
>>
>>322500775
I think you might just be shit at video games lad
>>
This thread gave me hope, I will try dark souls again.
>>
>>322500775
Stop playing vidya. My sister got farther than your autistic ass.
>>
>>322500865
The only time the plot is ever really spoonfed though is in the opening cutscene
>>
>>322499859
I can't get DSFix to work without being booted from multiplayer.
Help me /v/, I just want to invade someone
>>
I wish parrying wasnt as near impossible as it is in DS2. DS1 was the best, parrying stuff with your arm and impaling them with the zweihander
>>
I chose Knight, how much did I fuck up?
>>
>>322499360
just dodge off the bridge, bro >>322492191
>>
>>322501409
>what is Kaathe
>>
>>322472687
It's not hard at all. You just die a lot which is unusual for a modern game. If anything it's reminiscent of games like the original super mario where you have to die to learn how to progress correctly.
>>
>>322502437
What are primordials serpents in general.

Seriously were do they come from
>>
>>322501409
Frampt/Kaathe, Gwynevere, Crestfallen to some degree.
>>
>>322502387
classes don't really matter
>>
>>322472687
i would say it's more tedious than anything else. it's not that it's particularly hard, it's just that it takes a long time to figure everything out (or you could just read a guide).
>>
>>322502437
You mean that NPC that most players will never meet?
>>
File: 4fc4563376734.png (36 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
4fc4563376734.png
36 KB, 600x450
>>322501209
sorry man i just regret that if i used the trainer. I could have fucked your sister 10-15 hrs more.
>>
>Have trouble against a boss
>Get naked
>It just works

Armor is practically useless against some bosses, stripping carried me past the first hydra, Firesage demon and Kalameet.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.