[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought this today 15 years after beating the original. What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6
File: BanjoTooie.jpg (41 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
BanjoTooie.jpg
41 KB, 700x500
Just bought this today 15 years after beating the original. What's the difficulty level compared to Banjo-Kazooie? Which one do you like better? Let me know you're thoughts, /v/.
>>
Definitely harder than Kazooie.
I preferred Kazooie because the levels didn't feel so empty and backtracking wasn't as forced.
Kazooie had a better quiz and final boss too.
>>
>>322437272

>I just bought this game, tell me about it before I play it /v/

I'll never understand you people.

And it's definitely much more challenging than Banjo-Kazooie. Not hard, but harder than Banjo-Kazooie was.
>>
>>322438243
I was just curious about the difficulty level compared to Kazooie since I still consider it one of the hardest games to beat I've ever played.
>>
>>322438572

>since I still consider it one of the hardest games to beat I've ever played.

Have fun with Tooie then.
>>
Currently playing through it myself and I'd say it's overall more challenging than Kazooie. Can't say anything about the last 10th of the game though. There's a lot of frustrating minigames you have to do to get jiggies and there's a lot of backtracking since the worlds are big and there's a lot of multistep jiggies. That said, there's no lives system and jinjos and notes aren't lost when you die so it can be a bit more forgiving in that sense.

It's tough for me to decide which I like more since Tooie improves on Kazooie in a number of ways but its flaws are about as many.
>>
>>322438572
>since I still consider it one of the hardest games to beat I've ever played.

Kazooie was really easy, though. It was fun and charming with small worlds that were fun to complete. Not exactly a challenge.
>>
File: Winged Horror.png (125 KB, 383x354) Image search: [Google]
Winged Horror.png
125 KB, 383x354
>>322439042
>There's a lot of frustrating minigames you have to do to get jiggies

Just wait.
>>
>>322439476
Oh yeah, Cloud Cuckooland is the world I'm on right now

Welp
>>
>>322439071
OP here. I think this is true to an extent. At least up until Mad Monster Mansion, this is to me where the difficulty really went up a notch especially considering I was a young child at the time. MMM, RBB, CCW, and the final boss battle were all to me very difficult.
>>
>>322437272

It's not that much harder, just a lot longer. Enemies respawning can get pretty annoying in the later levels. You won't find much in the way of difficult platforming like in Click Clock Wood where when you miss a jump you're down at the bottom again. Absolutely nothing as difficult as the Rusty Bucket engine room.

There's one race in the last level that will JUST you though. Some levels are pretty easy to get lost in. Main problem you might also have is the framerate goes <10 fairly often on the N64, really nasty.

BK is the better game though, no doubt.
>>
people thought tooie was hard? it had hard parts but in general was piss easy

grunty industries was pretty tough if I remember someone should do like a 2 honeycomb run of that shit
>>
It's harder than the original, but very different too. Many levels connect with one another and I don't think you can clear out any of them in a single go like you can with Kazooie's worlds. If you like the sense of progression you'd typically find in a Metroid game, you'll probably enjoy Tooie a lot, but if you don't the backtracking might get to you.
Still, Tooie does a lot of inventive things, there's a boss in every world and they're all pretty unique, and there's tons of stuff to see and do. It's also a LOT funnier than Kazooie IMO. Bit of a middleground between Kazooie and Conker in that regard.
>>
>>322439580
If I remember correctly she rubber bands so getting too far ahead fucks you up
>>
Why don't people just invest in an EverDrive 64?
>>
>>322440308

Yeah. I think I read that they fucked up the programming and made her harder than intended. I was hoping they'd fix it for the Tooie XBLA port, but they clearly got lazy with that one. You can just use a pen cap to win fairly easily though.

>>322440485

Never heard of it.
>>
>>322440308

that's the second race in CCL, the first one is just a mashing bitchfest, played it back in August, and I found it brutally hard
>>
>>322440308
>>322440565
That sounds like a pain in the ass, but surely it can't be worse than the Rusty Bucket Bay engine room right (I still haven't gotten that last jiggy between the propellers)?

Thanks for the tips though.
>>
>>322440485
>$167

That's why. I'll stick to emulation. Buggy as it can be sometimes, it's still good most of the time.
>>
>>322437272

To reach credits? Fairly hard sometimes, but most of the time, it's just a good 30-40% harder than the original.

To 90% (All Jiggies collected)? Extremely, balls rippingly hard without a guide. Several end game levels have really, really, really hard jiggies, and there's a certain bird known for giving people trouble.

To truly 100%? Please don't, it's not worth your time, BT is so much bigger and better at hiding things it's scary.
>>
>>322437272
Kazooie is better in my opinion, but this was about as good as a sequel could be; it's still definitely a Banjo game, but tried a different approach rather than just rehashing the first. Definitely worth at least one playthrough, even if I only ever really revisit Kazooie.
>>
Have fun collecting shit.

I mean seriously.

Banjo and the quest for ten-thousand magical turds.
>>
>>322441312
$167 for the entire library on the original system. Well worth the investment.
>>
Favourite (and least favourite) worlds? I quite like Mad Monster Mansion and Jolly Roger's Lagoon, but I can't say I enjoy Grunty Industries or Rusty Bucket Bay.
>>
To get all the jiggies in a level requires you to go to other levels/ moves from other levels. If you have searched the level high and low chances are you have to activate something elsewhere.
You can't get all of the jiggies in 1 shot like you could in Kazooie.

I didn't like how some of the moves you learn have really limited uses

Prepare for some real graphical slowdown in some areas and a lot of backtracing
>>
Kazooie is a far more focused game and Tooie perhaps pushed the N64 a hair too hard - it really should've been a Gamecube title in retrospect. That said, Tooie has a far bigger, more interconnected world than Kazooie and it is certainly more of a challenge.
>>
>>322443142
Fuck Grunty Industries and FUCK CLINKER'S CAVERN. Jesus fuck the FPS levels in general were poor but that takes it to a new level.
>>
>God Tier

Mad Monster Mansion
Rusty Bucket Bay
Click Clock Wood
Hailfire Peaks

>High Tier
Treasure Trove Cove
Bubblegloop Swamp
Witchyworld
Cloud Cuckooland

>Mid Tier
Mumbo's Mountain
Gobi's Valley
Mayahem Temple
Jolly Roger's Lagoon
Terrydactyland

>Low Tier
Clanker's Cavern
Freezeezy Peak
Glitter Gulch Mine
Grunty Industries
>>
>>322437272
tooies not harder than BK,. its just bigger,longer and more padded out
>>
>>322443938

It's equally manageable if you're decent at vidya and there certainly is padding but Tooie definitely puts up more of a fight. Some of the boss battles alone are arguably tougher than anything in Kazooie.
>>
>>322443703
>Freezeezy in low tier
>Terrydactyland not in trash tier
>>
>>322444345
Grunty industries in low tier is wrong, needs to be high tier. it's a great zone.
>>
>didnt buy the rare compilation
>>
>>322443938
>tooies not harder than BK
horse shit
>final boss fight has mustard gas that kills you after a certain amount of time, random projectiles, and trivia on top of that
>underwater control bosses
>level design in general is unforgivingly complex
>enemies hit like a truck

>>322444512
>great zone
>requires activating the train, which almost nobody does on purpose
>AND has 6 different dead ends that can only be accessed by very specific routes

it's better than cuckooland, but it's still one of the worst maybe behind the mayan temple
>>
>>322444865
Man, Hailfire Peaks was like the only really fun world in Tooie.
>>
>>322443703
Click Clock Wood fucking sucks. It's a nice level at first, but the season changing shit and a few terrible platforming areas make it the most tedious level of BK.

>Freezeezy Peak, Mayahem Temple, and Mumbo's Mountain not in God/High tier
>Terrydactyland not in low

Shit list.
>>
>>322445047

Even that stage suffered from Crystal Caves syndrome where you can't explore in peace until you take out the menace raining hell from above. Otherwise, the level's fucking great.
>>
>>322445047

I really like Witchyworld, it's easily my favorite.
>>
You are playing the Xbox Live version right?

RIGHT
>>
>>322443703
>terrydactyland being anything but garbage
I didn't really like any of tooie's world that much but that world is unarguably complete garbage.
>>
>>322445534
Whats the diffrence?
>>
>>322443142

Favs:
Click Clock Wood (the comfiest level in gaming history)
Treasure Trove Cove (the 2nd comfiest level in gaming history)
Hailfire Peaks

Least:
Bubble Gloop Swamp
Jolly Roger's Lagoon (gigantic water level, yay...)
Cloud Cuckoo Land (screams, quick we're running out of time and we need another level)
>>
>>322444345
>>322445096

Only things I liked about Freezeezy Peak were the Boggy races and that the beak bomb wasn't entirely useless. It's an unremarkable world in all respects for me otherwise. I will concede that I might've been a hair generous with Terrydactyland though; I could lower it.

>Mayahem Temple, and Mumbo's Mountain not in God/High tier

Maybe Mayahem but Mumbo's Mountain, while iconic, is too dirt simple for me to raise any higher than mid.

>Click Clock Wood fucking sucks.
Guess we're gonna have to disagree there. Only thing about it that I hate is accidentally overlooking notes and having to comb 4 areas for that note completion. Otherwise I think it's a great mix of diverse challenges and some actual platforming, which Kazooie as a whole kind of lacks.
>>
>>322445534
No senpai, I'm not.
>>
>>322445617
The frame rate in the n64 version is absolutely horrendous. 360 versions fixes all of that.
>>
>>322437272
Good luck beating that bird bitch on that mouse.
>>
>>322440308

The last time I did this I fucking smoked her. Granted I'm in my 20's now and I've gotten decently gud at button mashing as opposed to my 9 year old self, but you can definitely outmash her from start to finish.
>>
>there will never be a banjo threeie ;-;
>>
So we could all agree that while tooie is quite good kazooie is much better right?
>>
>>322446728

I think Kazooie is, on a conventional level, much more tastefully designed but I can't outright discount Tooie's sheer ambition either. It very much tries to expand on the formula and sometimes it works, but I'd personally say it's too uneven in the execution to say its better than Kazooie. Someone who appreciates open, interconnected world design more than I might feel differently, though.
>>
>>322447046
Yeah I completely agree with you. All of tooie's worlds just felt kinda off to me. I know that sounds weird but I felt while none of the worlds were good or memorable but not really bad, other then terrydactyland and grunty industries which are awful levels in my opinion. The worlds felt empty, the ways of getting jiggies felt dull, and the bosses were pathetically easy and unot fun to fight. Even with all that I still feel it's a good game though.
>>
>>322446728
I just don't like Tooie making half the worlds puzzles so reliant on later moves.

I like that they tried interconnecting world's with "events", but anything like the mom stegasaurus or ice cube that require several worlds are just too painful to enjoy
>>
>>322447937

>and the bosses were pathetically easy

I dunno if I'd call bosses like Lord Woo Fak Fak, Weldar, or Hag 10 "pathetically easy". I'd say those were above average bosses.
>>
>>322448140
Yeah I do admit hag 1 was pretty hard, that and mr.patches were the only memorable bosses to me. I mostly meant stuff like the dragons or old king coal who you could actually beat in 30 seconds. I think the bosses could've been done better.
>>
>>322448140
I actually don't remember Hag 1 to be hard at all. But I had a lot of trouble with Lord Woo Fak Fak and Mr Patches because I was terrible at aiming and flying/swimming
>>
I feel in the minority but I found it much more tedious then challenging. I got to the dinosaur level and quit after that, it felt like there was no platforming. Just "go here, oh you need a special move my bad" get move across the map, then spend 5 minutes walking back to use it, then repeat a couple minutes later.

And where you only needed to backtrack for 1 jiggly in 1, it feels like there was at least 2 in every world now.

Loved the fps doom levels though.
>>
I never got the complaint about being too much wandering and walking around. There were more than enough warp zones throughout the game. Maybe if was because I played the game as a kid and had a lot of free time.
>>
>>322444117
>equally manageable if you're decent at vidya
For all but one Jiggy. See >>322439476
>>
>>322440308
no, her speed is set based on how well you do the first time you meet her. If you destroyed her in the mine level, she will be too fast in Cloud Cuckooland. The trick is to barely beat her the first time around, so she'll be slow the next time you face her. Very easy.
>>
>>322439476
I just used a Lego car (with those thick 90s wheels) and rolled back and forth over the button really fast and easily beat her.
>>
>>322439476
She really freaked me out as a kid and I just found her really uncanny. Maybe it's because she looked like the Chicken lady from Kids in the Hall.
>>
>>322450564
Disregard what I said, mixed up second race was for the cheato page not the jiggy. Perfectionist runs are piss easy except for her.
>>
>>322450771
>If you destroyed her in the mine level, she will be too fast in Cloud Cuckooland.
Fuck.
>>
>>322437272
BK is better than BT. No rhyming and shitty world hopping needed to complete all worlds.
>>
>>322451009

BT dropped BK's rhyming.
>>
>>322450990
Yeah, that's why people complain about her. They go absolutely balls out, or even worse, use a controller with a turbo button. If you use the turbo button in Glitter Gulch Mine, it's all over, you won't be 100%ing the game.
>>
>>322451091
>use a controller with a turbo button

Serves the faggots right
>>
>>322450771

I... had no idea.
>>
Banjo Tooie you have to explore worlds before beating them unlike (in most cases ) banjo kazooie. I consider it a little harder.

But I have memorized every jiggy in Banjo Kazooie, even rusty cumbucket bay is easy now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_TD4O7fJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uC2MkA9T84
>>
>>322451075

Jam Jars still rhymes
>>
>>322450771
>322437272
I thought it was flat out rubber banding, I wonder what asshat at Rare designed it like that
>>
>>322450990
Relax you'll do fine. The first race for the Jiggy in Cloud Cuckooland features rubber banding AI so let her be just slightly in front of you for the entire race until the finish line where you must mash like crazy to pass her. If you are going for 100% completion then you must race her again for the cheato page. The rubberbanding AI is gone on the second race but good fucking luck it is really long. The only strat here is taking pause breaks or having an ungodly amount of endurance, enjoy the carpel tunnel after this one.
>>
>>322451512

True, I did forget Jamjars, but were his rhymes really more egregious than Grunty's?
>>
File: Green Satan.jpg (17 KB, 294x224) Image search: [Google]
Green Satan.jpg
17 KB, 294x224
>>322439476
I found this fucker difficult too. Granted I emulated with an XBox 360 controller, but I doubt that would have made a difference difficulty wise.
>>
>>322451523
It is just rubber banding for the first race, second race is just way longer. They original were going to have it so you had to rotate your joystick like in Mario party for her races, but the beta testers kept getting blisters. Not to mention N64 joysticks wear down unless you modified them so that is outright evil.
>>
File: woa pardner.jpg (40 KB, 728x752) Image search: [Google]
woa pardner.jpg
40 KB, 728x752
Just a reminder Banjo Tooie is best played on the 360 due to the improved framerate.

Banjo kazooie is fine on N64 however and I prefer that version due to the notes dissapearing if you die which too me feels like a casual filter.
>>
>>322451523
the first race is simple rubber banding, but it designed that way so you couldn't get a big lead on her, because they designed it to have her speed up based on how much you beat her by. I guess they didn't expect people to beat her by several seconds, so they didn't give the CCL race much thought.
>>
>>322445662
My nigger. Only change I would make it swapping Cloud Cuckoo Land for Grunty Industries. I find a serious lack of comfy in polluted factory levels, and looking down over the Isle o' Hags from Cloud Cuckoo land was legit.
>>
>>322443703
Swap Rusty Bucket Bay for Freezeezy Peak and that is my list too. I rank my levels on comfy, and Rusty Bucket Bay had a serious lack of comfy, especially the polluted water.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.