[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never played FFVII as a kid despite having a PS1. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 17
File: media_cloud_big.jpg (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
media_cloud_big.jpg
153 KB, 800x600
I never played FFVII as a kid despite having a PS1. I've always heard how great the game is and now with the upcoming remake I decided I ought to give it a go.

I'm about 8 hours in and I have to say I'm not impressed. I can feel how spoiled I am from modern game systems. The shitty prerenderd backgrounds, the vertex colored 3d models, the dopey-looking low-res 3d models outside of battle scenes, can't skip cutscenes even if you've already seen it, the horrendous way the cursor works when trying to select which enemy to attack, hell sometimes it seems like my buttons don't even work (e.g. during chocobo racing, though maybe I'm missing something there). I also had to disable the obnoxious cinematic battle camera bullshit, why anyone thought that was a good idea in a game where you have to select enemies with a cursor is beyond me. There's also a bit of ambiguity in where I'm supposed to go/what I'm supposed to do, but at least I expected that.

Is there a point where this game gets significantly better?
>>
>>322429650

>Chocobo racing
>8 hours in

I smell a rat. The rest was at least believable for a retarded underage faggot with horrible taste.
>>
>>322429650
>Is there a point where this game gets significantly better?

the story picks up at a few points later on

the gameplay elements you complained about aren't going to go away though
>>
File: Capture.png (12 KB, 372x138) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
12 KB, 372x138
>>322430247
I don't know what you're implying. Steam claims 10 hours but I cut it down to 8 because I know I've let it idle before.

So eat shit, faggot.
>>
>>322429650
>I have to say I'm not impressed
I have to say I don't care
>>
>>322430697

I'm implying the fact that a new player doesn't get to the chocobo racing, which is halfway through the game, in 8 hours. At 8 hours you're barely out of Midgar.

So you're a fucking liar and this is a shitty bait thread with made up "bad" opinions.
>>
>>322429650
I think VIII aged better thanks to the proportionally correct models.
>>
>>322430697

>Steam version

Hoo boy.
>>
>>322431964
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>322431818
Steam/PS4 version has a fast-forward option, though. I don't agree with his appraisal, but in those versions it's doable.
>>
>>322432113
It does? I didn't know that, I haven't used anything like it.

I don't know where >>322431818
is getting chocobo racing to be halfway through the game, though. Just to verify the claim I googled a walkthrough and the point I'm at (escaping corel prison which I had to chocobo race to do) is like 3/5ths through disc 1. Do the other discs not count as the rest of the game?
>>
File: Baiting.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Baiting.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
>>322429650
>>322430247
>>
>mfw I bought the ps4 version and the option to auto-win battles kills the game
>>
>>322432113
The Steam version does not have any fast-forward options. The only thing it has is the character booster you use through the squeenix site.
>>
>>322432004

Awful Direct3D graphics from a terrible PC port from the time when console games actually looked far better than PC games.
>>
>>322432379
Can verify this as my mate is currently on disc 1 and has already done some Chocobo racing bidness
>>
>>322429650
just go play your fallout 4 and battlefront
>>
>>322432379
>>322432709

Disc 1 is 80% of the game retards. And this is a 40-50 hour game. No one gets to chocobo racing that fast unless they rush the fuck out of the game and miss half the content. Which is obviously what OP has done if he's not trolling.
>>
>>322429650
>The shitty prerenderd backgrounds
They are amazing even today, you're shitty
>the vertex colored 3d models
Waaah why does one of the first 3D games look worse than my call of duties
>the dopey-looking low-res 3d models
Fuck you I like them more than HD models in later FFs
>can't skip cutscenes even if you've already seen it
>He died in a FF game
>the horrendous way the cursor works when trying to select which enemy to attack
There's a button so show a text menu instead of targeting on the battle screen. But even without it I think it's up and down to change enemies.
>my buttons don't even work (e.g. during chocobo racing
Yeah that's normal, you can control it but you must fight against the chocobo's will of being retarded. The higher quality the chocobo, the less he wanders.
>I also had to disable the obnoxious cinematic battle camera bullshit
As I said, press that advanced targeting button. Maybe select or L/R3 or whatever, check the options

Dunno where you see ambiguity at where you're supposed to go. You already raced chocobos, so you're fairly late in the game already. No, it doesn't get better, just more of the same. If you have the airship already, talking to your team inside it will tell you where to go. Before that I don't really know, but it's pretty straightforward, just go where you haven't been before.
>>
>>322432957

considering OP is saying crap like "you can't skip cutscenes even if you've seen them before" yeah, he's a fucking rat

what, did he die or something?
>>
>>322432004
Absolutely nothing, it's the best version currently.
>>
>>322432957
I'm just following the story.

>>322433150
The only time I've died was fighting Dyne as Barret. I didn't heal fast enough and Dyne attacked twice in a row which I didn't expect.
>>
>>322432957
He's talking about the race you have to do to get out of the desert
>>
>>322432957
Disc 1 is not 80% of the game. It's 50-60%, tops. Chocobo racing is within the first third of the story.
>>
>>322429650
>this level of trolling
The fact you made it that far in to the game is testament to how good it is. Everything is heavily dated, the music just repeats every I dunno 30 seconds?, you walk around as a blocky fuck for 95% of the game, combat is relatively straightforward, etc. However to judge a game that's fucking older than you are for technological limitations is absolutely fucking retarded and you should do the world a favor and kill yourself.
>>
File: 1339185310082.jpg (52 KB, 448x458) Image search: [Google]
1339185310082.jpg
52 KB, 448x458
>>322434146
>only play a game for less than an hour
>omg how can you judge a game you never playeeeedddd
>give game enough time to grow on you
>you played it for that long and you still call it shit what a troll
>>
>>322433326
>>322433617

there is a point later on where you can race on your own free time right?
>>
>>322429650
Oh, I see.
Go away.
>>
you have to remember RPG games are for a different type of player. They don't have the skill for 3rd or 1st person games and prefer menus where all that matter is how you level.
>>
>>322430697
>steam version
STOOOOOP! At least mod it. Jesus, OP.
>>
>>322435239
But they are garbage. Even Super Mario 64 had properly rendered 3d spaces and they fit that shit on a cartridge. Either do 3d or don't, going inbetween is ass.
>>
File: ok.jpg (177 KB, 1280x1185) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
177 KB, 1280x1185
>>322435059
yes
and make them fug
>>
>>322429650
>8 hours
>Chocobo
Hi! I'm a brand new player to FF7! I've never played it, but decided to play it because I've heard great things and didn't want to miss out since it's getting a remaster!

I've watched every scene, played through the Reactor raid, the slums, the next raid, more slums, did the Corneo dress up to get all the items ans stuff, did sewers, went up top, watched aeris get kidnapped, watch the pizza drop, went up the Shinra tower, found Jenova, found Red XII, got caught, got freed, fought somemore, escaped, did the bike chase and left Midgar!

Then, I went to Kalm! I went to the Inn and read the dialogue, watched the flashback, a loooooong flashback, played the flashback, more flashback, saved, did more flashback and then finished inside calm. Then, I kinda played some random encounters in the new open world I'd not had access to inside of Midgar, to fight the Zolom, lost, paid for a Chocobo to ride across the swamp, went into the cave, ran into the turks some more, figt, fight, fight, fight, left the cave, explored the other side of the mountains, Hell I even checked out Fort Condor!

Met Yuffie, got to Junon harbor, beat the monster, filled a little girls lungs, rode the dolphin, got up top to Junon, walked around, did a parade, got on a boat (all while watching multitudes of dialogue I was reading because I have never played this game before), fought Jenova on the boat, got to Costa Del Sol.

Played around on the beach in Costa Del Sol, checked out the new continent which I had never seen before in the game I'd never played, somehow completely didn't try to do anything but go straight to the Corel town, watched all kinds of weird behavior from Barret, hiked all over that damn railroad, found a tram to a giant sand fun zone called Gold Saucer, checked out ALL kinds of shit at Gold Saucer, played the minigames like wow all of them, got bored of fighting at the Dio's battle zone, got in trouble, got kicked down, got trapped...etc.

8 hours!!!!
>>
>>322435389
why
>>
File: a.png (419 KB, 1922x1107) Image search: [Google]
a.png
419 KB, 1922x1107
>>322436336
I must have missed Yuffie and a few other things. I also didn't stick around long in the Gold Saucer. But yes, that sounds about right. I'm in Cosmo Canyon right now, here's a screenshot of my save. It's 9 hours by now, as you can see.
>>
Is not liking FF7 a new meme?
>>
>>322435424
Did...
...did you compare Mario 64's pre-rendered backgrounds with FF7's???

Also, are you comparing a 3-Disc Square Enix title on the Playstation 1 with a cartridge Nintendo platformer????? The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>322436936
I said Super Mario 64 had properly rendered 3d spaces. FF7 does not.
>>
>>322436863
It's been a meme for at least a decade.
>>
>>322436863
You're generally seen as cool and edgy if you hate on popular games. /v/ does it non stop.
>>
>>322429650
>I can feel how spoiled I am from modern game systems.

This. It's your fault to begin with. You should not stick with graphics alone.
>>
>>322437309
But the menu system is clunky and the gameplay is garbage.
>>
>I am unable to appreciate classic games. This is the game's fault!
>>
>>322436645
1. I still don't believe you.
2. If you hypothetically telling the truth, why the fuck are you speedrunning a game you are playing because it was not just because of the glowing reviews and good things you've heard, the recommendations, the access for the first time via Steam and a desire to "not miss out" on the re-master that will be released in a few years if you got through ALLLLLLLLL that shit in Midgar ALONE in less than 8 hours?

Are you having fun? Giving this game a fair shake? Reading the dialogue? Do you remember...anything?

No.
>>
>>322437394
Explain how it could be improved.
>>
>>322429650
Do you play older games a lot or are you a pleb who only plays old games if they get HD treatment? I played the PS1 version for the first time back in 2011 and I didn't give a shit about how it looked.
>>
>>322437041
What sort of lingo is that? Don't play a game of semantics.

FF7 has 3d models both interacting on a 2d pre-rendered background (well, more like HUNDREDS of pre-rendered, moving backgrounds)
Different 3D modeling on a 3D space for fighting in battles
Cutscenes with fully animated, higher quality 3d modeling far far beyond Mario 64

And it's a JRPG with a story, not a nintendo platformer

Different company
different machine
different genre
different goals

I would hope Mario 64 had 3D space for Mario to platform in.
>>
File: death.png (135 KB, 235x252) Image search: [Google]
death.png
135 KB, 235x252
>>322437464
jesus tapdancing christ are you fucking retarded? getting to the first chocobo race (to leave the desert prison) doesn't take very long to get to. the midgar section isn't nearly as long as you're making it out to be. it takes maybe 3 hours at best.
>>
>>322437464
Why do you think I'm speedrunning it? I'm not skipping through dialog and you can't skip cutscenes.

I remember that Cloud used to be a soldier for Shinra, that he somehow got involved with Avalanche to bring down mako generators, that shit went wrong on a following attempt, that you met up with aeris in a church and eventually found out she's an ancient, that aeris was captured and you had to ascend a 60-something floor building to save her, that you were captured after your attempt to save her but Sephiroth decided to fuck shit up and kill the president of Shinra and now his son is the president and is even more of a douche, that you are now on a path to find Sephiroth but are typically always behind, that you learn of Cloud's backstory with Shinra and Sephiroth, that Sephiroth learned of his true origins after studying in a library basement forever and decided to hate humans and burnt down Cloud's hometown in his rage, that you sneak onto a ship with the president and cross over to the other side of the world, that you reach Barret's hometown and it's a rundown shithole, that you make your way to the Gold Saucer and Barret loses his shit because he's grumpy about his guilt, that you get thrown into a prison and have to kill Barret's old friend before chocobo racing your way out of prison, and that you get a fancy buggy to cross over shallow rivers.

I'd say I have a decent grasp of what's going on so far.
>>
>>322436645
I literally had to stop at character limit here
>>322436336
because there is so much shit to do, just related to EVENTS, in FF7 that you didn't get to the Chocobo race in order to free yourself from the Corel Prison in 8 hours. Nevermind all the battling, understanding the system and materia, visiting shops, trying the 5-6 characters out in said fights, exploring the overworld, reading the text boxes and things to do. It's either a terrible lie about time (you've tried to disprove), a lie about whether this is your 1st time (therfore SPAMMING to get through dialogue and speedrunning battles as well as knowing where to go and who to talk to and never exploring), or you've no interest in the game in the first place.

Which is fine, you don't have to play it. But it's a great game, even if the burgeoning new software development led to some comparatively less streamlined UI that you now take for granted 20 years later, having built upon this very archetype.
>>
>>322438649
God damn man, you are very autistic.
>>
File: you had to be there.png (223 KB, 401x428) Image search: [Google]
you had to be there.png
223 KB, 401x428
>>322429650
>I can feel how spoiled I am from modern game systems.
Well there ya go. You're already beyond hope.
>>
>>322438035
>Midgar
>3 hours at best
At best? Yeah, I guess if you know exactly what you're doing, where you're going, not trying to glamour up Cloud, fight any battles, spam the dialogue and get out of the city ASAP. 3 hours is probably pretty fast, I agree. A newbie shouldn't take 3 hours. Someone playing the game because they're interested in playing the game shouldn't take 3 hours.

And that's just Midgar. What about ALLLLLLLL the shit leading up to beating Dyne and running the first Chocobo race? If you visited each spot in Gold Saucer ALONE, it would be an hour. Maybe tried to actually beat Dio's Battle Zone?

Do you need me to list every event up to racing your first chocobo outta Corel Prison? I could do it. And after reading it, you could try to convince me again a new player who is playing FF7 for the enjoyment and interest of it got there in 8 hours.
>>
>>322439149
Maybe because someone playing for their first time doesn't know about all the extra and optional things to do and instead is being led along by the story? People play video games for different reasons, not everyone 100%s everything they play on the first time playing it.
>>
>>322438732
Sure. Very autistic. This is me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWL5yimhyg
>>
>>322439427
If he was playing FF7, yes that would be you.
>>
>>322439626
You have a fine grasp of literal and metaphor, sir. I'm so happy you understand.
>>
>>322439149
did you play this game without ever using the run command? because that's what it sounds like. the game isn't as slow as you're making it out to be. 3 hours for midgar is actually a slower estimate, there's really not much to do in there.
>>
>>322440034
I played this game by talking to NPCs, equipping good gear, fighting the monsters in the areas I came across, reading the story, exploring each screen. Because I was 10-years-old when this game came out and it was mind-boggling cool. Like nothing I had owned before. I left Midgar when I thought I found everything I could find and was a constantly over-leveled faggot who stayed overleveled and enjoyed combat and seeing what enemies appeared in ever place I went to.

I by NO MEANS "100%" completed FF7 on my first playthrough. That's fuckin' impossible without a guide.
>>
>>322433039
>He died in a FF game
To be fair, the Crane Armor in Disc 2 is pretty difficult since it can imprison your characters.

And the 3D remake of FF4 is pretty fucking tough since the enemies can do a pretty good number on you.
>>
File: touchme.gif (182 KB, 226x224) Image search: [Google]
touchme.gif
182 KB, 226x224
>>322441209
so because you spent countless hours in a short area, that means everyone else has to? you're also implying they did not interact or try to engage themselves simply because they did not do exactly what you did.

like was said before, midgar isn't a long portion of the game. 8-10 hours to reach the first chocobo race isn't fake at all. i don't understand why this is making you so upset.
>>
>>322429650
How to invalidate your whole argument in just one phrase.
>>
>>322441748
I simply answered your question, don't use a logical fallacy of rewording my answer to serve your purposes.

To answer your new question; someone playing this game out of a desire to play this game would indeed spend a great deal of time exploring what Midgar has to offer in the multiple, major plot points that occur while also discovering how the battle system works and enjoying the areas, music, enemies, characters, plot, dialogue, mini-games and seeking out a few "secrets" here in there. Several hours, at least. Likely more.

I assert running through Midgar in 3 hours or less (let alone getting to Corel Prison in 8 hours) indicative of someone who is not playing FF7 for the experience of it, especially as a new player. Comparable to someone playing Pokemon and getting to Brock without having acquired a team of 6 pokemon. Sure, you can, and you can even beat Brock with just your starter, but why did you buy and play Pokemon Red/Blue when you aren't interested in catching them all? Even a few. Let alone training them.
>>
>>322443848
>a REAL gamer plays the way I play!
How ironic that you bring up logical fallacies.
>>
>>322443963
I did not use the "No Real Scotsman" logical fallacy as you presume. I did not refute a poster's "gamer cred", though I did assert a high chance of OP lying considering the statistical average of time spent playing FF7, especially as a completely blind, fresh player. In the unlikelihood of the OP telling the truth about length of time played vs. progress into the game, this brand-new player rivals actual speedrunning averages. People who know exactly what they're doing, not reading any dialogue, avoiding all but the absolute essential materials (including battles) and are fervently attempting to complete it with a minimum amount of time as their goal. This would stand in contradiction to the OP's stated reason for playing (and then complaining) about FF7.
>>
By the way, I do enjoy structuring simple arguments like this, regardless of your (or any poster's) perceived effort in "opposing" my point-of-view on this matter. It refines my own opinions and knowledge on the subject matter, the etiquette and grammar of the discussion as well as the rate I can type without major error and this is great exercise should I choose to engage someone of greater importance in another area/aspect of my life with more at stake than a simple opinion. So thank you.
>>
>>322444629
Do you own a fedora?
>>
Yeah FFVII is an overrated piece of shit.

FFXII is the only FF that's worth playing.

>this triggers the FF autist
You faggots know it's true.
>>
>>322444850
I do not! To clarify and confirm, I own a a baseball cap (not team affiliated), a skull-cap with a visor (branch affiliated), and a beanie cap with extended cloth to more fully cover my ears in cold weather. These three piece of apparel compile my entire inventory of hat-related apparel.
>>
>>322429650
I fucking love FF7, but it's horribly outdated. That's why it's getting a remake.

Still, I had no problem with the cursor, even with the cinematic shit. The buttons worked well with me. What problem do you have with them?

I can see why you would get annoyed with the can't skip cutscenes thing, but the game is still pretty easy. I'd say the game gets really good when you get Cid and the Tiny Bronco. So yeah, the graphics are ugly as shit but I like the setting, characters and battle system.
>>
>>322445137
If you're referring to me, specifically, when you say "FF autist" (and not as a general term/title) I can tell you no. It does not "trigger" me. You are entitled to your opinion of FF7's quality and are easily ignored, though perhaps not easily convinced.

While I don't say it's the ONLY FF worth playing, I will certainly agree that FFXII is definitely worth the monetary and time investment. It's a great game!
>>
>>322443848
i'm not twisting anything. you said that because he didn't spend an inordinate amount of time on it (like you had), then it's because he wasn't trying and was just button mashing to get through it quickly. you're stating that they were trying to go through it as quickly as possible despite them answering all your inane questions.

again, a point you continue to gloss over, is that there is very little to do in midgar. getting through it in about 3 hours isn't speedrunning. all their time indicates is that they're progressing through the game. you're putting up arbitrary time limits and trying to say they didn't didn't take in anything about the game. a claim that has been refuted multiple times.
>>
>>322445478
I guess it being outdated is what's impeding me the most. I'm still trying to play through it under the assumption that there's still a worthwhile game underneath, but after playing a grandiose game like TW3 (aside from combat) it's difficult to revert so far back.
>>
>>322444843
Nice run on sentence autismo.
>>
>>322429650
i honestly dunno how you have problem selecting which enemy to attack, it isn't exactly rocket science. i literally dont understand what you could be doing to make it difficult for yourself. is pressing up and down somehow an advanced skill to todays gamer?

>THIS 20 YEAR OLD GAME ISN'T GOOD TO ME, A YOUNG PERSON!!!!

wow, stop the presses. do you dislike phil collins too?
>>
>>322445137
>FFXII is the only FF that's worth playing.

Which is funny because at least half the time FFXII plays itself.
>>
>>322445478
It isn't any more outdated than any other PS1 JRPG.
>>
File: [FUCKS UP CONSISTENTLY].jpg (19 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
[FUCKS UP CONSISTENTLY].jpg
19 KB, 630x630
>>322429650
>The shitty prerendered background
>>
>>322445781
>would rather play a new bad game with good graphics than an old incredible game with bad graphics

that pretty much sums it up

threads over, ladies and gents
>>
>>322445913
I'm 25. Hardly old, but not young.

I have trouble because the selection mechanic is directional based, but the enemies are not always in clear directional positions. Also, the direction you need to press changes when the enemies move to attack you, making it feel clunky. During a battle I typically want to issue my commands quickly, something a menu system usually facilitates very well, but I feel like I can't do that in FF7.
>>
>>322445781
It's not fair to say the game will win you over, so much that you'll eventually "get used to it."

Eight hours in? What part are you up to? Are you on the world map yet?

The story has a couple of decent feels, but no major twists and turns.
>>
>>322445994
Only thing thats outdated is visuals and complaints about that are superficial.

The menus and general gameplay is typical JRPG stuff still.
>>
>>322446061
it isn't directional based just fucking press up and down
>>
>>322446062
I'm in Cosmo Canyon right now, the dog's grandfather wants to show me something that's related to his father.
>>
>>322445781
Dude, you'll get used to the graphics. The graphics pissed me off when I saw them but I got used to them.

>>322445994
Compare FF8 with FF7
>>
>>322446154
That is not true at all. I'm trying it right now and it's not just up and down.
>>
>>322446061

The enemies are listed in order. Just press up and down to scroll through the list. The order doesn't change
>>
OP, Final Fantasy VII is one of my all time favorites. I get why you don't like it though.

You are playing way to fast and not enjoying the story. I get that. In '97 the graphics and simple battle system didn't keep you from getting immersed in the story. Also, I was 16 and I had plenty of time to just enjoy it.

I think us old fans need to realize it doesn't hold up for new players to well.
>>
>>322446059
>hurrdurr graphics are the only thing that changed since 1997
Nigger, you're fucking dumb. Devs were still experimenting with 3D, making a lot of the battle animations clumsy and tedious.

Not only that, but graphics add a LOT to storytelling. When characters can actually animate their faces and digits, you can suddenly move into the realm of "show don't tell" and use body language and facial expressions to remove awkward dialogue.

Besides the above graphical enhancements of the last 19 years, FF7 is still an SNES-era game in terms of its complexity, depth, and plot. (Read: none.) The characters are all either one or two-dimensional at best.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. Hell, I'd even say it's pretty decent. But the medium has come a really long fucking way since then.
You are fucking retarded if you don't realize this.
>>
File: b.png (1 MB, 1922x1107) Image search: [Google]
b.png
1 MB, 1922x1107
>>322446392
There must be a menu I'm missing. Right now I can't select enemies in this battle other than moving a cursor over them based on directions.
>>
>>322445137
FF7 is my favorite and 12 is probably on my top 5
I really dont mind
>>
>>322446353
>that leviathan summon
>specular reflections and shit

I am gonna tell you right now, at least a couple chinks died writing that assembly code. I was blown away to see the ps1 do that. It really shouldn't be able to.
>>
>>322445913
>I've never played FF7
In like 90% of the battles, pressing up/down moves fucking left or right or diagonally, with literally ZERO consistency between battles.
Not only that, but it actually changes as enemies are performing attack animations and the camera angle changes.

Try replaying the game. It's not even close to intuitive.

Also:
>2016
>typing in all lowercase
>being this fucking underaged
You are mentally deficient.
>>
Don't mess with VII unless your interesting in playing it simply to compare it to the remake. It both aged more poorly and is overall a weaker game than VI

Materia system was brilliant though
>>
>>322446675
>I've never played FF7

Nigger I owned it on release day. Fuck off.
>>
>>322446675
Behold everyone, the modern gamer.

No wonder this industry is in the shitter.
>>
>>322446392
>enemies are listed in order
Lol what. Play the game, FF7 didn't have an enemy list.
Now you're just talking out your ass.
>>
>>322446540
How about the character models looking like fucking legos
>>
>>322445573
>inordinate
I immediately paused my reading of your post to tell you that my assertion is based on statistical average and spending hours within Midgar is by no means "inordinate." Most people, ESPECIALLY those playing for the first-time with a DESIRE to play FF7, take many hours reading, battling, interacting and otherwise exploring the many facets of Midgar. My personal experience (which was mentioned, but not the basis of my argument) was standard.

You are corrent, I am stating they (OP) was trying to go through it as quickly as possible, even though they were able to recollect the main themes of the plot. As I did not ask them how the conversations with Bigg or Wedge went, the items available in Wall Market, the names of enemies faced in the slums or perhaps Train graveyard, chose the elevators or the stairs in Shinra, attempted to complete each of the floors above lvl 60, asked who was present in the meeting, asked about Kalm, about Turks in the cave, or any number of other more minute facts, it was a wholly underwhelming an un-insightful look onto the proof he was truly the OP and truly taking his time with the game despite the break-neck play speed. Though I do share blame in that if I was generalizing a question I knew a generalized answer would not prove its worth.

As for a "point (I) continue to gloss over" about there being little to do in Midgar, I can answer that I'm actually telling a half-lie about whether I'd actually list all the things to do there...because that is a large post and I don't genuinely feel like listing each step in not just the story's journey through Midgar, but the very easily-accessible "sidequests" of Midgar that would also eat up time, adding to length of time spent inside the city before going through the open world and on towards Kalm and its story-related events.

btw, average speedrun of the entire FF7 game is about 13-14 hours. Record is 8 hours for the entire game.
>>
>>322446838
the character models looked bretty gud for ps1 bruh
>>
>>322446752
Then how come you never played it?

>>322446779
>been gaming longer than you've been alive
>played FF7 release day
>get called "modern gamer" because you don't have a point
Keep trying, Jimbo.
>>
>>322446884
But FF8 had way better models and came out a year later.
>>
File: 1398374652759.png (137 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1398374652759.png
137 KB, 300x300
>>322446469
>But the medium has come a really long fucking way since then.
>>
>>322446884

What? Fucking what? Play any other square jrpg on the PS1
>>
>>322445847
I type like I speak; long-winded. You are astute to highlight my post as being grammatically incorrect and it compels me to be more direct.
>>
>>322447045
In terms of graphics and streamlining mechanics to be easy to understand, yeah

In terms of gameplay and innovation, not so much.
>>
>>322447057
>being this baroque
You're super young.
>>
>>322447132

I don't see how VII is hard to understand at all, and I played it for the first time in 2009
>>
>>322429650
>Final Fantasy VII: Suspension of Disbelief
>>
>>322429650
It was the game that mainstreamed the genre and the series, which at that time were both very niche. Nostalgic children herald its greatness, everyone else either knows better or doesn't care.

It's like a first love; people will remember it more fondly than it deserves because it became their baseline, and over the years the worse parts become faded while the charm they'd felt grows.
>>
>>322447132
I would also argue JRPGs have come a long way in terms of storytelling and characters.

They were really generic as hell in the 90's and early 00's.
>>
>>322446353
>Compare FF8 and FF7
Only the 3D models on the 2D renders have any comparative difference? Aside from battle style (they are CLONES, afterall) it's very, very clearly a PS1 era Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>322446838
That was on purpose to emulate the way the chibi characters looked in past games
>>
>>322447291
They've fallen into the basement from those days.
>>
>>322447328
But the FMV's and battle screen models looked good.
>>
>>322447292
FF7? Any other JRPG at the time looked miles better.
>>
File: 1405439012440.jpg (21 KB, 291x308) Image search: [Google]
1405439012440.jpg
21 KB, 291x308
>>322447291
>I would also argue JRPGs have come a long way in terms of storytelling and characters.
>>
>>322447409
Eh. Not really.
SNES-era games had complete fucking shit story/characters.
PSX and PS2 stepped it up quite a bit.

Now it's all kawaii~uguu shit, but it's at least only as bad as SNES-era. Not worse.
>>
>>322447673
Horrifying.
>>
>>322447171
I'm 28. Erudite is a better term. There's little point of understanding a word if a better term is available for use. Synonyms are fun! I do like "baroque," however; it ties well with "style."
>>
>>322447673
You need to play more games.
>>
File: 1441591286117.jpg (132 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
1441591286117.jpg
132 KB, 750x1334
Op, so just don't play it. faggot.>>322429650
>>
>>322447438
If your definition of good is slightly more realistic then yes
They just had different proportions and were more simplified because too busy chibi designa dont look ver good
>>
>>322447673

It;s very rare I find a jrpg with a setting/theme as interesting yet simple as Terranigma

Also compare the plot and character of Chrono Cross to Chrono Trigger and weep
>>
>>322447913
FFIV DS has chibi models in battle.
>>
>>322447542
>Any JRPG at the time looked miles better
>than FF7
Oh good Lord. Do I list other JRPGs from 1997? From the PS1 library? For the next few years? Only late 90s? ALL of 1990-1999?

Still wanna say FF7 was a game behind the graphical fidelity/limits of its peers?
>>
>There will never be a modern final fantasy with a proper job system as diverse as V's again

Heck, I'd take any job system at this point
>>
>>322448069
Because it was that way in the original as well
All FF4 remakes have been that way
>>
>>322448127
Let's see.
>>
>>322448171
play bravely default.
>>
>>322448171
FF Dimensions and Bravely Default
>>
>>322448172
My point is the models in FF7 looked like shit chibi or not
>>
File: 1450720938784.png (201 KB, 322x395) Image search: [Google]
1450720938784.png
201 KB, 322x395
You can reach Saucer date in 1h50m if you're using in-built cheats.
Without them I guess it'll take 3-4 hours.
>>
>>322429650
>Literally no complaints that actually show you played the game

>No story flaws, no specifications on why the cursor is horrendous, no saying of which version he's playing, no saying where he's currently at

This is boring ass bait.
>>
ITT: FF7 baby get triggered by someone with actual taste

We all know you where twelve when you played the game and that's the only raison you remember it's good.
Game is so easy it may as well be one giant cutscene. And the story is retarded anime garbage.
>>
>>322448397
I think they looked fine
>>
>>322448286

By modern I mean like on the scale and budget of XV/VIIRE

I did enjoy Bravely Default. Won't lie, the visual style of Dimensions completely turns me off. Should have gone with the PSP remakes of I and II styled visuals
>>
>>322448539
Its dead. Let go.
>>
>>322448524
Whatever, man. I just thought FF7 would look better with more realistic models. I still love it.
>>
>>322448271
Let's make it easy on me and go with "JRPGs Released around 1997"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_video_games:_1996_to_1997

(I'll pick out the ones you say look better than FF7, OH! AND I'll just pick stuff that had a North American release, too. I'll ignore the JP only release shit)

Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean (oh FUCK)
Dragon Force (sprites, hooray, and bad ones, too)
King's Field III (hardly better than Doom or Quake)
Pokemon Red/Blue (you are now realizing you're comparing GB graphics to the PS1)
Revelations: Persona (more sprites!)
Shining the Holy Ark
Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness
Vandal Hearts
Wild Arms ("better than FF7's graphics"- you)
Breath of Fire III (more spritework!)
Final Fantasy Tactics (HEY, alright! Same company, platform, brand oh it's more sprites...good game though)
The Granstream Saga
Masters of Monsters: Disciples of Mana
Ogre Battle: the March of the Black Queen
Shining Force III

This is getting dull, but you get the idea.
>>
>>322448397
>looked
What's your frame of reference to use the past tense?
At the time, they did NOT look like "shit."
For years, fully animated cutscenes from FF7 were considered hyper-realistic
Only the Lego models of the overworld meet any idea that wasn't anything great. All other models were spectacular.
>>
>>322448464
same
senpai
Let's go play a REAL game, like (your favorite game that doesn't have nostalgia, is complex and challenging with an equally compelling and engaging plot!)
>>
>>322449328
I meant on PS1
>>
>>322449584
When I say looked I mean when I played it for the first time
>>
>>322449737
Sure thing, bro
Let's go play FF9
>>
File: uMNAEeX.gif (654 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
uMNAEeX.gif
654 KB, 260x146
OP, if you're not trolling, put away the guide and explore the game. You're rushing through it and not trying to experience the game.

I recently replayed it for the tenth time and spent about 6-7 hours in Midgar reading the dialogue and messing around
>>
>>322433039
>FFVII
>one of the first 3D games

I smell underage
>>
>>322449982
Most of those were some Sega Saturn, tho. I'll the PS1 ones for you I guess. From 1997. Which you say look better than FF7. Not just better, but apparently much better.

Langrisser, Der
Langrisser II
Moon: Remix
Arc the Lad II
King's Field III
King's Field II
King's Field
Popolocrois Monogatari
Revelations: Persona
Shin Super Robot Wars
Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness
Vandal Hearts
Wild Arms
Alnam no Tsubasa: Shouchiri no Sora no Achira e Wing of Alnam
Atelier Marie: The Alchemist of Salburg
Breath of Fire III
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon
FEDA 2: White Surge the Platoon
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 2
Granstream Saga, The Shade
RPG Maker
RPG Maker 3
SaGa Frontier
Tales of Destiny
Ogre Battle: Limited Edition
Arunamu No Kiba Juuzokujuu Nishinto Densetsu
Fang of Alnam
Farland Story
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

From just PS 1, I guess.
You claim FF7 falls behind on graphics to...most of these? Like, maybe even ALL of them? You state it like someone would be a fool to say otherwise.
>>
>>322450091
When was that (for you)?
For reference, that was in 1997 for me. A 10-year-old boy with decent gaming experience.
>>
>>322437794
the autism is strong with this one
>>
>>322430697
Getting to the stage you can do Chocobo races(Golden Saucer) takes around 20 hours minimum, unless you're some sort of speed runner which I highly doubt.

You're a liar OP.
>>
>>322451012
Does everyone just forget about the fact that you have to do a chocobo race to escape from corel prison?
>>
>>322450834
Your Star Wars pop-culture appropriation is so funny! Your apathy in typing without the use of Shift key or punctuation also reveals how little investment you have in this conversation --- which makes you seem cool and aloof. Like a real bad-ass. You're a cool person with your contrived insult and lackadaisical 'tude, dude. Counter-arguments are for suckers.
>>
>>322446480
Yep there is a button to bring up a menu to select enemies. It also gives you stat infi. Don't know what button that is on a keyboard.
>>
>>322451410
What about on a controller? That's what I'm using to play.
>>
>>322451449
I think, in order to select which enemy to target more easily, you press the "Select" button on your controller.

If I'm wrong, feel free to try out each of the buttons you haven't used, yet.
>>
>>322429650
Before FF13 this was pretty the summation why people bought into the FF games in the old days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEqkBcj5qlA
>>
I'm also playing through FF7 for the first time and am enjoying it. It's also my first real FF.

The materia system is pretty neat. I'm constantly messing with combinations though I don't think I really need to. The game has gotten easy after I've started collecting for Enemy Skill.

I mostly started with FF7 due to the upcoming remake. Watching the in-game cutscenes really makes me wonder how they'll be remade. A lot of them seem too silly for what Square is like these days. Anyone else feel that way?
>>
>>322451889
If that's true then why did it stop with FF13?

Also thanks for reminding me how cringeworthy early 2000s Newgrounds flashes are.
>>
>>322452185
Many people are concerned with that.
>>
>>322452476

Square went into a different direction, Nomura's zipper fetish went full blast, Kingdom Hearts games, the FFXIII lightning waifu trilogy and mobile games.

The last Square game I ever bought was FF12 and DirgeofCerberus in 05. There was some hype for XIII and Versus XIII but as we can see those games were hardly FF games anymore except in name.
>>
>>322452973
>DirgeofCerberus
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>322453036

The FMVs were nice, too bad that was all I payed for.
>>
File: 1385163025507.png (626 KB, 623x480) Image search: [Google]
1385163025507.png
626 KB, 623x480
>>322452973
>mfw FF13 was more FF than FF12
>>
>>322429650

>Is all the stuff that obviously isn't going to change going to change later?

Yeah dude, the graphics and gameplay just totally change halfway through the game.

Jesus Christ, even for /v/ this is low quality bait
>>
>>322429650
you needed to play it as a kid anon,
go bitch about your graphics and your lack of minigame prowess elsewhere
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.