[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why hasn't Pikmin caught on like Zelda, Mario and Donkey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 11
Why hasn't Pikmin caught on like Zelda, Mario and Donkey Kong did ?

Shigeru Miyamoto made all of those games. And everyone knows all of those games. Most like them. Or at least they don't dislike them.

Most people have no idea what Pikmin is outside of smash brothers.

I personally think the pikmin series is amazing and shows who shiggy is more than any game not named zelda
>>
Because it's a shitty game.
>>
>>322399735
It's because Pikmin is too difficult for casuals, and too baby looking for "hardcore" gamers.
>>
>>322400269
You could say that for most Nintendo games though.
>>
>>322399946
What games do you enjoy?
>>
It's because media is far more fractured. You don't get 'big' anything anymore. Social media, stratification and a weird new micro-sectarianism means there's no mass audience that 'big brands' require anymore.
>>
>>322399735

the first one had a time limit and thats what killed it for me. Did that shit stay in throughout the series?
>>
>>322401712
He won't say. He's too scared
>>
>>322399735
It's not nostalgic enough, remember Gamecube was third place
>>
>>322402116
If you're talking about the number of days, no. If you mean the daily time limit, that's still in.
>>
>>322402116
Do you live in a cave?
>>
>>322402116
for 2 no time limit at all
for 3 sort of, but not really, it's pretty generous
>>
>>322401712
Games that aren't Nintendo related or indie trash.
>>
>>322402116
It's a pretty manageable time limit though.

2 doesn't have one, you can take as many days as you like.

3 has a quasi-time limit that you can extend easily.
>>
>>322402297

no, i just never looked at this series after the first game.
>>
File: C6cUr3j.jpg (72 KB, 646x800) Image search: [Google]
C6cUr3j.jpg
72 KB, 646x800
They're easily some of my favorite games by far.

Especially because they play on my love for insects and playing with army guys out in the woods as a kid, also I thought the movie Honey I Shrunk The Kids was super cool when I was a kid.

This game is also one of the reasons why I liked Chibi-Robo and Katamari so much as well. The idea of a microverse isn't used enough in games.
>>
File: 1369974681094.gif (2 MB, 198x222) Image search: [Google]
1369974681094.gif
2 MB, 198x222
>>322399946
>>
>>322402752
did you enjoy mario galaxy?
>>
File: dew-doritos-xbox-one.jpg (101 KB, 800x610) Image search: [Google]
dew-doritos-xbox-one.jpg
101 KB, 800x610
>>322402567
>>
>>322403116
Eh, it was okay, but definitely not the kind of mario game i was hoping for. And if your asking this because there was a tiny/big world in it, I honestly don't remember, it was that boring for me.
>>
File: 1408518274454.jpg (81 KB, 720x570) Image search: [Google]
1408518274454.jpg
81 KB, 720x570
>>322403723
yea i could relate to your first post and i found mario galaxy really gave me those kind of feels, i had a lot of fun clocking it.
should maybe give it another try
>>
>>322399735
>baby's first RTS
>>
>>322399735
because it's shit and didn't exist during the golden age of consoles (snes and back).
>>
>zelda

dumbed down to the point where any idiot can play, ever since OoT the combat and puzzles have been braindead easy

>mario

literally made for everyone to enjoy

>donkey kong

offshoot of mario

pikmin is more complex in its gameplay and punishment for doing bad, casuals are scared of it
>>
>>322399946
Another shitposter.
Might as well throw it away.
>>
>>322399735
it's a more complicated game. you have to use those RTS brain-muscles, and as we can see RTS is a genre that cannot survive in this day and age unless it's tied to a beloved decades-old franchise, and even then it's tough going.

Pikmin just never picked up much of a following, it's lucky to have gotten as many games as it has.
>>
File: 1423873829705.png (61 KB, 200x195) Image search: [Google]
1423873829705.png
61 KB, 200x195
>>322402567
>>
>>322405037
It would do better if you could only move a small number of pikmin a small distance once a day or pay $5 to give them an "energy boost."

And also pre-orders and on-disc DLC.
>>
>>322405575
you are make silly joke, ha ha.

but if you think people buy these shitty games because they LIKE awful business practices, you're wrong. Rather, they just don't mind them, or somehow accept them as normal. they buy the game for other reasons, mainly that they're super simple (shallow), and able to be played for just a tiny bit at a time.

Pikmin has the graphical stylings down to appeal to the iPhone crowd, but it would need to be redesigned from the ground up to be the type of game they'd want to play.
>>
>>322405037
>it's lucky to have gotten as many games as it has.

Luck has nothing to do with it. If shiggy wanted a pikmin game released every two years, a pikmin game would be releases every two years.

I really doubt nintendo would tell him no.
>>
File: 1450850977119.jpg (417 KB, 799x739) Image search: [Google]
1450850977119.jpg
417 KB, 799x739
>>322399735
Probably the colorful designs and the large use of flowers scared away some older people. The gameplay is fun even if it is easy.
>>
File: 1444929418240.jpg (96 KB, 750x727) Image search: [Google]
1444929418240.jpg
96 KB, 750x727
Captain Olimar+Charlie > Louie > The President > Alph > Olimar's son and daughter >>>>>>>>> Olimar's wife >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a sheargrub >>>>>> shit >>>>>>>>> Brittany
>>
When I was younger Pikmin 1 intimidated me with its time limit. There's no way I would have been able to finish it back then. I only got into the series because the Wii U was starved for games so I figured I'd give Pikmin 3 a shot, which led me to play and love the entire series.
>>
>>322407780
>Probably the colorful designs and the large use of flowers scared away some older people

The promotional theme single sold better than the game in Japan because it appealed to older men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esYm9q-bi4w
>>
>>322408548
Japs are strange.
>>
>>322402297
I dont think they played pikmin 2
>>
>>322400269
Honestly this.
>>
>>322408548
I'm getting too old to still be crying to this song.

It's the lyrics. It's always the lyrics.
>>
>>322399735
- mechanically complex
- no main character to identify with (at least not on a level with Link from Zelda)
- no story that would make you care for any characters (again, not on a level with Zelda for example. Not saying there is no story, but it's not very involving)
>>
>>322411128
>no story that would make you care for any characters
Except, you know, your Pikmin.
>>
Because it's a shitty first-party game.

You may think I'm shitposting and that's fine. You may like Pikmin, that's also fine.

Video games are business and you have to move products to acquire profit.

The fact of the matter is that Pikmin doesn't sell and doesn't move hardware, therefore it's shitty for a first-party title. The job of a first-party game is to sell hardware, and if a first-party game can't do that, it's a failure and doesn't deserve multiple sequels.
>>
>>322411848
I bought a Wii U for Pikmin 3. I know I'm an extreme case, but figured this was the time to chime in.
>>
>>322411336
Pikmin aren't developed, complex characters. Mechanically, they're a resource, just designed to make you go awwww.

You can't identify with a single pikmin, nor can you follow their character development throughout the plot. It's different
>>
>>322412001
me 2 d00d. I love pikmin
>>
>>322412001
That's fine that you did. If Pikmin 3 is what made you buy a Wii U, great. Just saying that Pikmin is a failure. If it weren't first-party, then it would be a moderate success. Since it is first-party though, resources shouldn't be used to make a game series that's proven to not move hardware.
>>
>>322404402
MOBAs are babbies first RTS
>>
>>322412310
I wish Nintendo would put out another Metroid game.
>>
>>322412126
If anything, it's better than just a story making you care about a character though. You grow your Pikmin, battle beside your Pikmin, progress with your Pikmin, strengthen your Pikmin (with honey), and eventually lose your Pikmin, usually to some simple mistake you made. Their large numbers eventually diminish how much you care about them, but the game pretty much does everything it can to make you attached to them as characters. All the little journal logs about their behavior are just deeper feelbait. I'll happily take that over a story making me care about a character. That's fine for movies, but in a game I want to care about a character for game reasons like caring about Kazooie in Banjo Kazooie, because without them you'd make it nowhere in that game.
>>
>>322408258
Yes. Brittany is the fucking worst. Fuck that dumb greedy bitch.
>>
>>322412310
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been meant to move hardware since the first game. It sort of became a passion project for Miyamoto after that. Nintendo has enough franchises that they don't all need to be focused on moving hardware. If Smash, Zelda, and Mario aren't going to move the hardware, nothing else will, except maybe Splatoon.
>>
>>322411848
>The fact of the matter is that Pikmin doesn't sell and doesn't move hardware

No shit, the point of this thread is discussing why that is.
>>
>>322412816
I don't disagree. I was just trying to come up with reasons why Pikmin does not resonate with a larger audience as well as Zelda or Mario.

The lack of a central main character could be one of the reasons. The game in fact dos its best to make you care about the Pikmin, yet the plot focuses entirely on some random space suits in need of fruit juice (please forgive me that I can only speak for 3 here. I briefly played the first one years ago, but I only own Pikmin 3), completely forgetting to flesh them out.

They didn't even dare to put them on the cover since they're so bland.
>>
>>322399735
I don't know, it drives me wild thinking about it. Pikmin is fun as fuck.
>>
>>322413651
Nah, I can agree there. The game jumped around characters between games to the point where the Pikmin themselves are literally all you can focus on, which might be what they want us to focus on, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Even most of the merchandise is like Pikmin and Bulborbs. (a common enemy)

I feel like the franchise needs more easily accessible budget spinoffs on a handheld to grow more of a following for it's main series to take off. It's basically a first-party cult classic, and that's pretty fucked up.
>>
>>322401712
RPGS, side scrollers, some party games, and games with nice open worlds
>>
>>322414531
>games with nice open worlds
Give an example.
>>
>>322414639
Most of the 3D Zelda titles, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed

Dragons Dogma and Xenoblade Chronicles X are probably my favorites
>>
I like where Pikmin is to be perfectly honest. If it were any more popular I it likely be made even easier. At least with 3 they did limit you based on how well you could keep juice stocks up.
>>
The time limit in Pikmin 1 was fucking horrible so I'm glad they only had a token timelimit in 3.
>>
I dont like game wide time limits
>>
>>322415253
I'd rather a free mode to be unlocked after completing the core game, being able to enjoy the comfy levels in the games is nice. However, I enjoyed the sense of urgency the countdown translated unto the player.
>>
>>322401261
>Nintendo games
>difficult
Don't make me fucking laugh. If you think Nintendo games of this generation are difficult than you are either a casual or a five year old.
>>
You have 30 days to think of ideas for the following new Pikmin types
>green Pikmin
>orange Pikmin
>black Pikmin
>>
As someone who loves Pikmin, I think it's because the RTS-lite play is a little bit too complex for casual crossover appeal.

The games look great, play great, and are fun and adorable butthey do get pretty stressful and complicated. Compared to something like Mario, made up of levels that are one-and-done in about 300 seconds, it's a much higher level of complexity.
>>
>>322416365
>the faces of the purple pikmin are replaced with reggie's face
>all they do is sit around not translating games
>>
File: stylish pug.gif (1020 KB, 450x270) Image search: [Google]
stylish pug.gif
1020 KB, 450x270
>>322415895
>"you could say most Nintendo games are too difficult for casuals"
>what a fucking retard, if you think Nintendo games are too difficult you're a casual
>>
>>322402752
Have you played Minish Cap?
>>
File: Charlie.png (63 KB, 187x266) Image search: [Google]
Charlie.png
63 KB, 187x266
>>322408258
>Forgetting the true hero of 3
>>
>>322408258
I can't believe it was Alph who got the alt in Sm4sh
>>
>>322399735
it's too weird
>>
>>322404726
>pikmin is more complex in its gameplay and punishment for doing bad, casuals are scared of it

Yeah, true
>die in LoZ
>Continue from previous point
>die in Mario
>try again, without an easily-obtainable power-up
>die in Pikmin
>lose out on valuable time/resources, have to start the next several days gimped
>>
>>322400269
This is what killed Viva Pinata
>>
>>322417245
not to mention the screams of agony you have to live with
>>
I like the premise of Pikmin a lot but I never got into any of the games all that much (I've played all 3 for a few hours each). IDK the gameplay is just not for me, so I assume this is the case for many people hence its tepid success.
>>
>>322399735
Casuals don't like games with management or time limits. They see hundreds of units and just go "that's too complicated for me," even at a simplified RTS like Pikmin where you don't have to micromanage anything.

>>322417041
On the contrary, Pikmin is probably the most realistic Nintendo game out there, at least in the way it imitates wildlife interactions.
>>
>>322408258

>Louie
>Better than anyone

Shit taste anon. Possibly the shittiest I've seen on this board. Louie has no redeeming qualities as a character and fucks up way more shit than he solves. Olimar would have been better alone in 2.
>>
>>322399735
Because westerners didnt like Ai no uta
>>
>>322402752
Pikmin is actually pretty fucking terrifying when you really stop and think about it, precisely because of the whole insect thing.
>>
>>322418175
The time limit and the scary shit turned me off of the game as a kid. Glad I went back though, Pikmin 2 is excellent.
>>
>>322418482
Indeed it is. It was that game especially where they had enemy descriptions and all that, which really made me sit down and think of just how fucking horrifying everything is.
>>
File: 1448172651475.gif (1 MB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
1448172651475.gif
1 MB, 245x184
>>322399735
Why that's very simple, OP. Here is 2.
1: It has a nature theme. Honestly, if it weren't for our audience, the series would be dead. Unlike the Xbots or PS4oreigners, Nintendkids audience is mostly kids. Kids wanna see Mario and Green Zelda and Pikapoo. Kids would gravitate to Smash like flies too poo just because of looking at it's cover because it looks awesome. No one kid would enjoy being a 2 inch shrimp with living vegetables helping him live in this day and age.
2. It wasn't marketed enough. I mean there is 3 games backing Wii U right now : Mario Maker, Smash Bros and Xenoblade X. And they were all heavily marketed.

I liked the game series but Pikimin is only a taste seasoned Nintendo fans would know by now.
>>
One of the things that makes Pikmin so great is the ecosystem
Every living being including the plants have a unique life cycle that's touched upon in olimars notes and sometimes you encounter the younger versions of already known beasts.
And over the course of time the world changes (for example the wogpoles in in the Forest of Hope become WollyWogs after a number of days)
>>
>>322414841
>Assassin's Creed
>>322403453
>>
>>322416365
>green
They grow spikes and gain temporary invincibility to being crushed or swallowed for afew seconds when whistled near. Can also navigate thorny terrain. Risk/reward combat units.
>orange
They glow in the dark to see better in low light areas, maybe even some extreme areas where it is pitch black without them. They can't fight, (too volatile) but when eaten they selfdestruct for decent damage. Utility type.
>black
They're sticky. Careful where you throw them, because you won't get them back until that wall tumbles down or that enemy is defeated. They move slower than other Pikmin. Rub them up against things to make those things sticky too.
>>
>>322420529
Ezio was good. Rest in pieces.
>>
I don't like games that are time limited because it makes me nervous and anxious and I'm already like that too often.
>>
Not as much mainstream appeal.
>>
>>322399735
Pikmin 2 was the only good Pikmin game.

Miyamoto will make Pikmin 4 a timed rushed piece of short shit again and continue feeding the series' irrelevancy to the public eye.
>>
>>322415253
Was the time limit really that bad? I remember renting pikmin 1 and playing it with my dad as a kid and I beat it with like 3 days to spare
>>
Because it apparently is so shit that the music promo video outsold the game it was advertising
It's a cute song though
>>
>>322422486
Time limits are always bad.

How much time is wasted in pikmin three?

>stop what you're doing
>make sure you have all pikmin round up
>get back in ship
>blast off
>summary of day
>land
>start over

What is that? A hour of a 10 hour game?

10% of the game is annoying.
>>
>>322416365
>green pikmin
They grow into big green ganja trees that you can sacrifice to get your Captain and pikmin stoned which lets you throw them farther and if enemies eat them they fall asleep.
>orange pikmin
They explode
>black pikmin
They steal what you're trying to get to your ship and take it to their black onion. The onion is surrounded with a haze of smoke and it shakes to the rhythm of the loud rap music sounding muffled from inside. They smoke the green pikmin and eat shroom pikmins
>>
>>322422589
Stop
>>
>>322419858
>2. It wasn't marketed enough. I mean there is 3 games backing Wii U right now : Mario Maker, Smash Bros and Xenoblade X. And they were all heavily marketed.

Xenoblade X sold like shit. Splatoon/Mario Maker/Smash are the big sellers this year, and will likely continue to be the big sellers next year assuming Zelda doesn't come out.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.