[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is PC gaming becoming more popular in Japan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: Harada_PC.jpg (114 KB, 1080x840) Image search: [Google]
Harada_PC.jpg
114 KB, 1080x840
Is PC gaming becoming more popular in Japan?
>>
>>322373289
Yes, onii-chan. Arigato gaben, desu.
>>
Only for eroge.
>>
>>322373289
Nah, most pc ports are for the western markets.
>>
>>322373289
Yes. There are 2 millions Japanese Steam gamers.
>>
>>322375045
Was going to post this, but
>>
>>322373289
no,they might be gay but they arent faggots
>>
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>322373289
Who cares?
>>
>>322373289
No. I live in Tokyo and have for 5 years. Hardcore gamers use Steam and high-end gaming pcs but the vast majority of people hardly even use computers anymore - everyone is on their phones. PS4 didn't sell that well either. 3DS and phone games rule the market here.

With that said PC gaming isn't becoming more popular but it isn't really declining. It has always been a niche hobby here.
>>
How expensive is a standard gaming PC in Japan?

For instance, I'd consider a "standard" gaming PC to cost about 800-1200$.
>>
File: 1285710808703.jpg (66 KB, 540x726) Image search: [Google]
1285710808703.jpg
66 KB, 540x726
>>322373289
can anyone translate broken English?
>>
I don't get what he's trying to say.

He likes playing video games on PC but he doesn't want anybody to play the games he makes on PC?
>>
>>322375997
Depends what you consider standard. Graphics cards are expensive, mobos and processors can be reasonable, HDDs are cheap. Give me an example of a 'standard' build and I'll price it on a Jap pc site right now
>>
>>322373289
I thought mobile is king in Japan now. It's even getting handhelds a run for their money (except maybe the 3DS).
>>
What is it with PC gamers and being such little bitches? Even japanese devs are laughing at you cry babby faggots.
>>
>>322376182
yeah, he said you are all entitled man babies, now quit bitching when a game you wouldn't even play doesn't come to pc.
>>
>>322375915
This. PC gaming and Xbox have a hardcore niche market in Japan. Some of these people are westaboos.
>>
>>322376182
>>322376417
He's saying that he's tired of people asking him for Tekken on PC, but that the reason the Tekken series wasn't on PC had nothing to do with him disliking the system, and that he in fact was a PC gamer himself (something that's rare enough in Japan to point out).
>>
Why do devs even bother with pc anymore? The sales numbers on pc are laughable and you guys just steal everything anyways, also your jap overlords don't even like you. Glad I never fell for the meme.
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>322377091
>>
>>322377168
Are you suggesting that my comment was bait? Because it wasnt.
>>
>>322376948
>(something that's rare enough in Japan to point out).
It's actually pretty common for some people in japan's only video games to be some shittty Maplestory/ROTM/Runescape/etc style game that they devote 10000000 mirrion hours to daily.
What really rare is for a Japanese person to own a high end PC/ use Steam/ play real games on it
>>
>>322376543
For instance the $959 PC on http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Now, of course, the price itself, even in Yen, would say little about how big an investment it is within the general standard of living. A gaming PC in the west is an investment, but not a huge one either. What I'm trying to understand is if the reason the Japanese don't play on (good) PC(s) is cultural, or a matter of price, or a matter of space... or a combination of all 3.
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>322377372
yes it was
>>
>>322377621
If you were baited by it then that's your fault. It wasn't intended.
>>
File: 1450162509086.jpg (41 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1450162509086.jpg
41 KB, 500x294
>>322377683
posting lies in an attempt to get responses makes it bait
>>
>>322377809
You sure do like those memes
>>
File: 1439207530875.jpg (20 KB, 257x244) Image search: [Google]
1439207530875.jpg
20 KB, 257x244
>>322377407
>muh real gaems amirite?
Face it, PC is a shit platform for minimal gain what a console can do with actually Japanese exclusives for Japan.
>>
>>322373289
>sega
yes
>capcom
yes
>konami
ded
>namco
no
>tecmo koei
yes but with very lazy shitty ports. console cucks on suicide watch.
>>
>>322377904
people in japan hate consoles that's why handhelds and mobiles are king over there
>>322377890
you sure love bait
>>
>>322376861
Man, I wanna meet those guys
>>
>>322377091
Sales on PC have been increasing greatly for the past decade, and more and more publishers and developers are porting their games. They're still much lower than on console on average, but big enough not to be ignored.

Piracy is irrelevant. What matters is whether the sales are good enough to recoup costs.
>>
>>322378073
Why didn't you post a meme with your response?
>>
>>322378221
did you want one?
>>
There's always Japs playing Age of Empires 2.
>>
>>322378262
Could you? my meme levels need replenishment
>>
File: 141669994748.png (122 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
141669994748.png
122 KB, 400x266
>>322377904
>Face it, PC is a shit platform for minimal gain what a console can do with actually Japanese exclusives for Japan.
>>
>>322377528
All 3. Price is expensive but then again all consumer electronics are expensive in Japan. It costs slightly more to build a pc here than in the US, but not enough to dissuade anyone serious.

Space is perhaps the biggest reason. Same reason consoles haven't sold well recently - no one has room to play them in. Typical family apartments have one TV in the main room which often also serves as a bedroom at night. Kids and younger adults essentially aren't allowed to play during the time they have free. Instead everyone goes for smaller, portable gaming, such as cell phones and 3DS and even Vitas. Keep in mind due to demographics and lack of living space most live with their parents until marriage, which has been happening later and later. Ask yourself if your parents would want to come home to their 28 year old permavirgin son hogging the only TV and taking up valuable space on the floor.
>>
A lot of japanese games, aren't even available for purchase on steam if you live in japan, even if they are available elsewhere. That's how little faith they have in japan picking up pc games.
>>
>>322373289
No, it's mostly the western side that are in charge of the pc ports. Majority of the pc ports aren't even using the japanese va/text. Japanese Dragon's Dogma fans were sad to find out that the pc port won't even be available for their region.
>>
>>322378621
I see, thanks.

Also, I'm looking at this right now, interesting stats: http://steamspy.com/country/JP
>>
>>322378117
I've met some already. In Japan, it's customary to like your home country's games as it's what they play growing up and what's marketed to them, some western titles are mainstream like COD and GTA and are essentially Japanese staples despite being western.

But the hardcore ones are different, practically the opposite of a weeaboo in that they wanna learn English, import systems and play foreign games in English audio and/or English language.

I was having a discussion with one of my Japanese Steam friends yesterday on why Witcher 3 practically was a huge 'fuck you' to all JRPGs. His opinion, not mine, but I'm inclined to agree with a lot of his points.
>>
>>322378631
This is true and infuriating. DBZ Xenoverse, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Total War, Alien Isolation, D&D Chronicles of Mystara - all unavailable due to the region. So you can either go to the store and pay $60-100 or pirate for free.
>>
>>322373289
Do arcades do well there still?

Japan's gaming market is so fucking confusing.
>>
>>322379514
Asian gaming markets in general are confusing
>>
>>322379514
Fairly well, although many have been shut down recently. I've heard they are rapidly disappearing in the countryside. Even a few in Tokyo have closed down in the past couple years. Space is expensive and arcades take up a lot of room.
>>
Yes, there have been so many Japanese console exclusives that are being ported over to PC.
>>
File: game center stats.jpg (63 KB, 640x452) Image search: [Google]
game center stats.jpg
63 KB, 640x452
>>322379514
Just did a little research. Game centers have halved in the past decade. In the wiki link youre looking at numbers for total game centers in Japan. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%82%BB%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC#.E7.B5.B1.E8.A8.88

Pic is from another site showing game center trends. You can clearly see they are dropping rapidly. The article claimed it was due to the tax hike that recently happened - sales tax went from 5-8% overnight. Apparently since owners can't raise the prices of machines which are capped at 100 yen a game the only way to get more income is to raise vending machine prices.
>>
>>322376182
He plays games on a high-end PC and has had a Steam account since ancient times. Also, stop crying for PC ports of games.
>>
>>322380927
Interesting.

So if I take what I've read about Japan itt for what it is then PC gaming has always been niche, the new consoles aren't selling and the market seems to be strictly mobile.
The 3DS sounds like it's the only strictly gaming machine that has anyone's attention.

Arcades are disappearing now; does Japan even play video games???
>>
>>322380886
That's for the Western market and usually being pushed by the Western departments of publishers. A good portion of Japanese games on Steam are actually blocked in Japan itself.
>>
>>322381014

>stop asking to buy my product

sasuga dane
>>
>>322373289
Japs are really smart.
They know that the best PC games don't require a powerful PC, so there's no reason to upgrade.

You get the ero games on PC and exclusives on consoles.
Best of both worlds.

Oh, and mobile gaming because they're outside all the time
>>
>>322376182
Yeah, basically

>quit petitioning you game starved pcuck and be satisfied with your oh so superior shitty pc games

That about sums it up. Oh, and the momma comments probably imply pcucks are whiny children. So there's that too.
>>
>>322382836
>stop asking me to make me even more busy than I already am

Shaking my head disapprovingly family
>>
>Console consumers are stand up fellows for wanting titles on their platform of choice
>PC consumers are whiny babies for wanting the same

When will this meme end?
>>
Gaming in general is dying in Japan they're relying more and more on mobile/handhelds. Bloodborne and Yakuza are pretty much the only big franchises still standing. That's why we're all fucked regardless of platform.
>>
>shilling payday 2
why is this allowed
>>
>>322384646
>>Console consumers are stand up fellows for wanting titles on their platform of choice
They aren't and I don't think anyone ever said as much. It's just that nowadays the only place you'll find consolefags begging for the other platform's exclusives is Youtube comment sections, whereas mustards are basically everywhere.
>>
>>322385084
I can't blame 'em. They've invested in a platform and, like any human being, want to see multiple justifications for that purchase. I'm just disgusted by the winning side's mentality here.

Idk, I personally wouldn't begrudge my favorite exclusives going over to someone else's platform. I just don't get the people who do.
>>
>>322384892
http://www.m-create.com/english/latest_research/e_ranking.html
>>
>wanting the fucking blight that is Japanese console ports (and poorly optimized feature lacking games on PC in general) to continue

If you like the dev then you get the console and buy the game, like with Bayonetta 2. If you don't then too fucking bad, don't shit up some other platform because of it. You're part of the problem and I'd like your consolefag tendencies to stay confined on their own platforms.
>>
>>322385415
That's a silly question to ask, considering you already typed out the answer.

>They've invested in a platform and, like any human being, want to see multiple justifications for that purchase.
For consoles, the "multiple justifications" are the games you can't play elsewhere. When they go multiplat, and even worse, when those games end up being better on the other platform, they are losing those justifications and buyer's remorse sets in.
>>
>>322382836
>stop asking to pirate my product

Had to made a minor fix there, familia.
>>
>>322379260
Why was Witcher 3 a fuck you to all jrpgs? I'd love to hear this
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.