[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /v/ tomorrow is my birthday and I want to treat myself to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6
File: zjrhhh917p0p9zyphcbb.jpg (117 KB, 1500x818) Image search: [Google]
zjrhhh917p0p9zyphcbb.jpg
117 KB, 1500x818
So /v/ tomorrow is my birthday and I want to treat myself to some vidya, I've been thinking about getting a VITA, however I'm still about 60/40 on that decision. Could you give me some feedback on why I should/shouldn't get it?

My main gripe with it is the large amounts of JRPG's on it, I do like JRPG's, but I wouldn't want to have a JRPG mahcine. On the other hand, I like the MonHun clones and the possibility of playing MonHun Frontier.

tl;dr why should/shouldn't I buy a VITA for my bday?
>>
Why you should:
Freedom Wars/SS Delta/Toukiden/Etc are all fun in their own way
There are a number of twin-stick shooters if those interest you
Plenty of dungeon-crawlers
Cute grills

Why you shouldn't:
THOSE FUCKING MEMORY CARD PRICES, I MEAN GODDAMN WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
>>
>>322328397
If you like indie games, it's worth getting, there's a huge selection of indie ports available.
If you like visual novels, get Danganronpa 1 & 2.
If you have any PS1 classics or cross play titles on PS3/PS4 you can play them on the Vita from the get go.
There's plenty of MonHun clones but most of them are just average.

But yeah, I wouldn't recommend the Vita to anyone who isn't into JRPGs or Japanese games in general.
>>
>>322328397
NO GAMES
>>
>>322328878
The one I'm planning to get comes already with a 16gig stick for a fairly reasonable price. Would that last me long enough?
>>322328925
Anything interesting in the near-future? As I said, I like JRPGs, I just don't want the entire library to be JUST JRPGs
>>322329003
Interesting
>>
>>322328925
And/or if you have a ps4. It's a nice companion device for the console. Remote play is really convenient if you have to share your tv or just want to curl up in bed with a ps4 game.
>>
>>322329161
>The one I'm planning to get comes already with a 16gig stick for a fairly reasonable price. Would that last me long enough?
Yeah, 16 gigs is pretty good
It will only seem a tad restricting if you're going full digital
>>
>>322329170
I do have a PS4, are all games compatible with remote play? If So, how does it run? Does it get any framerate issues?
>>
it has some decent titles. if you're into weeb games you might enjoy.
>>
>>322329375
Last I heard, they all are compatible with remote play, but that may have changed. I haven't run into any games that aren't.
Lag can be an issue depending on your wi-fi setup, but if you use lan for your ps4 and then go into options and turn on direct link and stay close enough to use it (like in the room or only one room over), it's pretty much flawless.
>>
>>322328397
>I like JRPGs
>Vita has too much of them!
What kind of retarded logic is that?
>>
>>322330320
Variety is the spice of life
>>
>>322330320
I like them just enough, but wouldn't want a handheld that only has JRPG's to offer.
>>
>>322330397
But why? Isn't the number of interesting titles more important than the variety? I'd take 10 interesting JRPGs over 5 games of varying genres.

This applies to any genre as well. And if you are in need of something else, just use other consoles/PC to play those.
>>
File: 1451710295838.jpg (2 MB, 1400x5840) Image search: [Google]
1451710295838.jpg
2 MB, 1400x5840
>>322328397
The Vita isn't a JRPG machine, compared to every handheld released so far in the history of gaming, Vita's game library has a huge variety of genres heavily represented well by many excellent games.

Action games:
Ys Celcetta
Freedom Wars
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Gravity Rush

Platformers:
Tearaway
Rayman
LBP Vita

Hack and slash:
Muramasa
Dragon's crown
Senran Kagura
Any musou game

Racing
Wipeout2048
NFS MW

Shooting games
Killzone Mercenaries
EDF2

VN
Virtue's last reward
Dangan Ronpa

SRPG
Disgaea

Music Rhythm games
Project Diva
Super beat xonic
IA/VT
Taiko no tatsujin
Technika Tune DJ MAX
Persona 4 D

And there's a lot more im not adding in the list and i'm not talking about JRPGs.
>>
>>322331851
Thanks for the input, I'm getting a second-hand Vita, are thee any notable console failures I should check for before saying yes?
>>
>>322331964
Nope, they're all built tough.

Just do the usual like make the buttons and touch screen responds and you'll be fine.
>>
>>322331964
None that I'm aware of, the Vita is a pretty fucking solid piece of hardware. Is it a 1000 or 2000?
>>
>>322329312

16GB is a good choice, 64GB is the best other option which I really hate to say it because it is a rip off if it was a normal SD card.

Fucking Sony.
>>
>>322332598
Between the memory card pricing and the lackluster support by Sony, you'd think they were actively trying to kill the Vita
Luckily 3rd party devs aren't giving up on the system as easily
>>
>>322331964
don't listen to these two
>>322332284
>>322332363
if it is a 1000 check the screen for burn in and black blotches. every single 1000 I've seen has been riddled by black blotches, the owners didn't even notice them until I pointed them out so I don't know if it'll even bother you. other than that, retards all like the over saturated colors on the 1000 but the 2000 reproduces colors more realistically. oled screens always produce unnaturally over saturated colors though. if you're an srgb nerd thats good to be aware of.
>>
>>322332813
>Black blotches
Do you mean the slight tone differences on a perfectly black screen? Because that's just a side effect of OLED construction that has no impact on normal use. As for the colours, the reproduction is more reliable on the 1000. The 2000's IPS panel is nice enough but it's a step down in both image quality and brightness.
>>
File: 1386434026209.jpg (52 KB, 342x324) Image search: [Google]
1386434026209.jpg
52 KB, 342x324
>>322331851
>want to play underwater ray romano
>localization never
>>
>>322332958
the black blotches will appear while an image is being displayed, the colors are displayed darker in those areas than normal, it happened to my old galaxy s3 as well as on my old 1000. the oled screen does not by any means display colors more reliably or accurately. the srgb scale on oled screens are all fucked up. the colors look more saturated and vibrant but not accurate or reliable.
>>
>>322333603
>the black blotches will appear while an image is being displayed, the colors are displayed darker in those areas than normal, it happened to my old galaxy s3 as well as on my old 1000
I don't know what to tell you there other than that I picked up my unit about six months after launch and have never had that issue. Neither did my Galaxy S2, which I retired about a month ago.
>>
>>322333735
you probably just don't notice it, which is why I said it may not bother him. I have autism with screens and the way they display images, take everything I say as just shit only a nerd for high quality images would notice.
>>
File: beaton kraven.jpg (75 KB, 331x331) Image search: [Google]
beaton kraven.jpg
75 KB, 331x331
I bought two Vitas.

One for the US account and the other for the JP one.

I play the JP far more than the US one. In fact, I haven't turned on the US one in 3 months.
>>
>>322333852
I'm the same way and given that I just spent about 40 hours staring at every inch of the thing while reading Steins;Gate I'm pretty sure I would've noticed if there were any issues with my screen. You aren't wrong with OLEDs having a bad habit of destroying image reproduction but once again, I've never noticed that to be an issue on the Vita.
>>
>>322334001
place a 1000 and 2000 next to each other the colors are darker on the 1000. the colors on the 2000 are more accurate, you can even compare them on an srgb scale to see how they compare.
>>
>>322334218
Having done that with a friend's 2000 I can tell you that shouldn't be the case. I'll admit to not having done a proper scale comparison but just by eyeballing it in similar scenes I'd give it to the 1000 pretty much every time.
>>
>>322334378
you're lying, the nature of the way that oled screens reproduce colors mean that this is ALWAYS true no matter what.
>>
>>322334498
What possible reason would I have for lying here? Like I said, I'm talking in fairly subjective terms. Based on what I've seen of the two versions of the system I'd say that the one with the OLED panel generally does a better overall job of image preproduction.
>>
>>322334675
okay anon, but the way that oled screens display images proves that you're lying. but since you'll never admit, I encourage anyone interested to do an independent study and find out on their own.
>>
>>322333010
>Underwater Ray Romano

What?
>>
>>322335223
it's right there on the list of games that are upcoming in Japan. it's one of the ones in red.
>>
>>322335283
Oh, it'll probably come over in english. They dont release PS4 versions of games without any plans to localise them. Not to mention the game is supposedly good and has actual gameplay.
>>
I got a PSTV for cheap instead. Consider doing that.
>>
I know of the remote play function the Vaita has, but is there any way to play Vita games on a Ps4/big tv? Not including Ps TV.

Playing Gravity Rush, and those slide races are killing me.
>>
>>322335715

>Is there any way to play Vita games on a TV?
>Apart from the thing that was made to play Vita games on a TV.
>>
>>322335760
As i said in my post, I'm doing the slide races in Gravity Rush. Not only that, my copy of Gravity Rush is physical, i would have to get another even if it was possible to slide.
Lastly, this was a function the original PSP had.
>>
>>322335715
There's a Vita modded to do-.
>GR
Wait for the PS4 release then. No point if that's the one you wanna play.
>>
>>322336110

You can use a DS4 can't you? Whitelist hack works on PSTV up to 3.52 btw.
>>
>>322336215
Guess I'll wait for Gravity Rush 2 then, already completed the game and i was just doing the challenges.
Hope the sequel fixes everything i disliked about GR1, and there were a lot of things i disliked.
>>
File: 1446345929148.png (171 KB, 726x470) Image search: [Google]
1446345929148.png
171 KB, 726x470
A lot of people I know are ditching their Vita for a vita TV because they don't play games when they're out of the house. And I think that makes sense. The actiony games like Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden really kill your fingers after a while and would probably be more comfortable with a controller. And personally I'm really mad because Binding of Issac is impossible to play in anything but pitch blackness.

But I dunno, I still like my Vita. I don't have a smartphone or anything so it's really important to me as a mobile internet/youtube machine. If you already have that kind of thing it's less valuable.
I really love Project Diva as a fun game to play for a couple minutes here and there. Recently I bought Oreshika and I kind of like the family system but at the same time it's kind of garbage grinding for that 1% drop, at least at this point in the game all enemies die in one hit so it's pretty boring. The boss fights are really hard so maybe I just need to play it more. I'm waiting for Dungeon Travelers 2 to come in, I played the Demo and it's probably the best dungeon crawling game out there. It seems 10x better than Demon Gaze. And in the future I'm really looking forward to World of Final Fantasy and Uppers, which is like GodHand's create a combo combined with Way of the Samurai's story system.
>>
>>322336626

I have a 3DS as my portable, I couldn't carry a Vita around too. THat's why I picked the PSTV>
>>
>>322336569
Trophy hunting? The platy on the game was easy.
>>
>>322336110
>Not only that, my copy of Gravity Rush is physical
doesn't change the rest of what you said but the PSTV can play physical games, i'm not sure why you thought otherwise
>>
>>322336782
Yeah, but i just can't stand the sliding controls. Hard turns are hard.
>>
>>322336889
I thought it was digital only, that's actually pretty neat. If i could use the Ps TV as some sort of chromecast for my Vita i would buy the thing so fast.
>>
>>322336770
>I couldn't carry a Vita around too
do you have a single pocket on every pair of pants you own? an extremely small pocket? and no bag?
even when i only have one pocket i just choose to have my vita or 3DS with me for the day, but i care less than most about streetpass, so i'd also understand if that influenced your decision.
>>
>>322337034

You can just take the game and memory card out of the VIta and put it in the PSTV.
>>
>>322336626
I play games almost exclusively at home and I still vastly prefer handhelds. Playing games lying on the couch or cozy in bed is unmatched. It's also a lot more convenient to reach over to the table, press a button, and be right where I left off in a game.

It's sad but sometimes after a long day at work I just can't muster the will or energy to get off the couch and walk over to where my consoles are.
>>
>>322337147
But the controls for GR are too specific for the Vita. I understand you can eve beat it, but I'm not sure if you can evade or slide.
>>
>>322337143

I don't have the need to carry around two games consoles along with everything else I need every day.
Sure I could just pick one of them to take in the morning but given how cheap the PSTV was I didn't think it was worth spending extra for that ability.
>>
>>322337298

If you have a DS4, you can use the touch pad for front and/or back touch on the VIta. Pretty sure the gyro works too.
Only problem is that the game isn't officially PSTV compatible, so you need to use the whitelist hack.
>>
>>322337383
>Pretty sure the gyro works too
not for games that aren't officially compatible
it's silly, but it just does nothing
>>
>>322337480

Well nevermind then.
>>
>>322336626
>GodHand's create a combo combined with Way of the Samurai's story system
Whew boy I'll have to look this up
>>
>>322336626

>I'm waiting for Dungeon Travelers 2 to come in, I played the Demo and it's probably the best dungeon crawling game out there.
Is it really that good? How friendly is it to fags whose only dungeon crawling experience is EO?
>>
File: b.jpg (16 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
16 KB, 325x325
>>322328397
>My main gripe with it is the large amounts of JRPG's on it
But that's false.

The system has more action games than JRPGs.

The JRPG system is just a meme shoveled on by young people who think you can make a system look uncool that way, but looking at the actual list of the games in this genre it's kinda sparse.

Meanwhile, MGS, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, Toukiden, while bunch of these have RPG elements in them hardly classify as JRPGs.
Saying Vita is a JRPG system is about as incorrect as saying that Dark Souls is a JRPG.
It was an easy meme to spun around but holds little truth.
>>
>>322337558
>>322336626
Oh, I remember it now. It didn't sound at all like it would have in-depth combat to me, considering
>Players will battle against enemies in phantasmagorical fighting action. Attacks will automatically change to the best techniques based on the enemy’s position and posture. You can mercilessly attack enemies while they’re flying and falling. Complex controls and a reason to fight do not exist. Button mash to your heart’s content and beat down the enemies standing in your way
From the Gematsu article. Where is your source that you can customize moves?
>>
>>322332717
It was either the retarded memory cards or another PSP where you can sell hardware but no games. Even MGS:PW sold abysmally, about 50 000 copies on PSP, even less a shitload of smaller titles.

Now Vita suffers from accessibility due to the memcard price, but the attach rate has been excellent.
>>
>>322337725
DT2 is for hardcore DRPG players as they designed the game around knowing their audience are experienced around the type of genre and they aren't afraid to pull any punches with the content.

The systems in the game are very well done and easy for anyone to get into but the dungeon designs are sadistic and there's 100-200 hours of content just from the post story stuff alone.
>>
>>322336626
>Binding of Issac is impossible to play in anything but pitch blackness.
There's an in-game gamma option that will fix this.

I have it set to 130-150 usually. It defaults to 100, which is just too dark with Vita's actually black blacks.
>>
>>322337905

Huh.
Does the demo give me a good idea of what to expect? Is it substantial and can I import the save?
>>
>>322337870

The memory cards don't stop anything. You can still put arbitrary files on the Vita memory card, it's just not user friendly to do it.
>>
>>322337735

Vita JRPGs:
Persona 4 Golden
Oreshika
Tales of Hearts R
Dungeon traveller 2
FFX
Demon Gaze
Moero Chronicles
Ar no Surge+
Atelier series
Neptunia series
Trails of Cold Steel
SAO

I think that's pretty much it for JRPGs on the Vita, Not the most JRPGs on a platform but still a healthy collection of games.
>>
>>322328925
>There's plenty of MonHun clones but most of them are just average.
Agreed. Soul Sacrifice Delta was the only stand-out hunting game and I think that was partly because it wasn't afraid to do its own thing. Freedom Wars and Toukiden both completely fall apart for different reasons.
>>
>>322337725
I really love EO's bind system but I think this would be the best dungeon crawler for the Vita. I mean, just from the demo and from what I've heard. It was pretty challenging and every enemy could take a big chunk of health if you let them. If you didn't immediately interrupt casters they'd come close to one shotting most of my dudes. I really loved that the edgelord girl's status effects work against bosses (but they have a 50% chance to backfire). And I thought it was really great that the battle text tells you what type (slash/crush/pierce) and element each enemy is attacking your party with, so you can actually adapt your equipment to take less damage.
Plus the dungeon layouts are out of this world later in the game. Only thing I didn't like are static encounters when you pass through some doorways.
>>
>>322337986
The demo is pretty much an easy tutorial dungeon, the later dungeons are much more complicated and they play with your expectations. The post story dungeons will break your balls in every way they can.

Also yeah you can import your save from the demo.
>>
>>322338184

Fantastic, I'll take a look at that demo then.
I hope it's small
>>
>>322338060
Lack of user friendliness does stop a lot of people. It's excessively time consuming to transfer files, and when you're on lower firmware it's sometimes a pain to get it to working at all.

I haven't been arsed to put TN-V on mine again, because it would again require learning a new method, because I'm having random disconnects, wi-fi always checks for the latest firmware and I just don't care right now.
Maybe when they get something more solid done with the PSM Dev hack, since I have it on the system and tested that I can at least run homebrew through it.
>>
>>322338147
DT2 is considered the best DRPG ever made according to the japanese fans of the genre mostly due to the amount of content in the game, the story, the great characters and the fact that there's a lot of fun random sequences and a lot of voice acting for everything. The gameplay is a step above all other DRPGs as well, it's kinda sad there aren't many DRPGs out there that come as close to as good as DT2. They're making a sequel but nobody knows if it's any good or not yet.
>>
>>322338319

The email trick is pretty easy to do. I used ARK but TN-V is going to be similar.
>Put ARK save on VIta
>Put PSP game on Vita.
>Find game ID of that PSP game
>Send email with subject based on game ID
>Open email
>???
>Profit

Then after that you can just backup your injected PSP game and restore it any time you like
>
>put
>>
>>322338630
Every time you move a save file or game data, the system checks for updates. Even with QCMA or OpenCMA.
There's like 10% chance that it doesn't and I can't wrap my head around why it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. And every time it does, I have to power cycle the Vita, shut down the transfer tools and sometimes even power cycle my PC so I have a chance of not having the message pop up again.

But I guess I'll start trying again. It's just pain in the ass to have to do this mess every time I want to transfer more files to the system, too, like some random ROM I realized I want. With NES you can just slap everything in there, but Mega Drive and SNES roms are too big for that.
>>
>>322339124

Oh that shit. I use the prozy for that.

Get this if/when you set it up again.
http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/7673
This will let you send things directly instead of having to smuggle them in through save files, and you don't need to check for updates.
>>
>>322333930
Check the remaining battery charge once in a while m8
>>
>>322333930
>>322339390
For the record, li-ion batteries will last the longest if charged fully, then let down to about 90% charge, then charged again until full, repeat.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.