[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games you regret buying. Pic related. Ended up selling it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6
File: n6dg5d.png (2 MB, 924x1320) Image search: [Google]
n6dg5d.png
2 MB, 924x1320
Games you regret buying.

Pic related.

Ended up selling it for steam money.
>>
>things that never happened
Is the ps4 really so empty of games these days to waste your time doing this in public?
>>
You have shit taste, the game is great.
>>
What the fuck the PS4 have to do with this?
>>
I'm so glad the Wii U is cracked now
Don't have to waste another dime on mediocre games that are overhyped by /v/ just because they're exclusives
>>
Why do I keep seeing threads like this pop up? I'm on the tail end of the skell-less portion of the game (which is supposedly the low point) and I've been having a pretty good time with it. My only real complaints are that sometimes I feel directionless, sometimes quests don't properly explain their objectives, and the combat feels like a clusterfuck of different mechanics that I can't fully understand even after taking time to read up on the manual.
>>
>>322264537
>the combat feels like a clusterfuck of different mechanics that I can't fully understand
What don't you understand about it?
>>
>>322263808
>someone doesn't like this genius game? He must be a sonygger false flagging!

God, you Nintendo fanboys can't handle criticism well.
>>
>>322264870
I don't really understand what the "press b to stop the ring" QTE does and why it happens, it kind of just happens at random and it's hard for me to tell what it does in the middle of combat. I know that when abilities of a certain color start pulsing you can use them in a certain window for heals/buffs, but I don't know what triggers it.
>>
>>322265093
>Doesn't state why he didn't like the game
>"He's not baiting!"
>>
>>322265280
When you press B, some you heal some of the health of your party. Also, the abilities start pulsating when member of your party use Soul Voices (it's those messages that they say in the middle of the battle).
>>
File: XCX.1.14.12.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
XCX.1.14.12.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
Honestly I might get a refund for thus title, its just not that great of a game. Not only that, but its the only rpg I've ever played where I have to read the manual to learn how to play it. That kind of game design is on the same level as early atari 2600 games.

Also btw this has nothing to do with the game itself but come on, why does every characters face look like a potato?
>>
>>322265093
>new big wii u game comes out
>sony fans haven't had a good game in months for ps4 OR vita
>posts/threads constantly being made about dropping new game, usually with vague or no criticism about why they dropped it
It's pretty obvious, It's not like sony fans aren't know for mass shitposting or anything
>>
>>322265787
>why does every characters face look like a potato?
You'll find out in Chapter 5, anon.
>>
>>322265991
Skells?
>>
Thanks anon
>>322265991
I can't wait for Downs-chan's character arc
>>
>>322265787
Why is reading the manual such a pain to people nowadays? It literally takes 5 minutes to read and comprehend all of it. Plus its way better to understand the game at you own pace than having it dump 52 pages worth of content on you in the first hours.
>>
>>322264870
I don't understand how much better the next level of a buff or debuff is and can't even check it in the augments store because I don't have the materials to make it.
>>
>>322263531
This desu senpai. Even fucking xenosaga episode II was better
>>
>>322266289
but you straight up should never HAVE to read the manual to understand how core mechanics work for the first time, there should be a tutorial and the manual should be there for a refresher. It's not so much that it's a pain, it's just a standard. My first 10-15 hours of the game would have been a lot easier if someone told me that I had upgrade my arts and allocate skill, because I was so busy exploring that I never even sat down with the menus and looked at everything
>>
shovel knight
>>
>>322267161
It's nobody fault that you decided to be a dumbass and not look through the menus. you have to be extremely retarded to not actually look at what everything in the menu do before running around for no reason but to get killed.
>>
>>322263808
HE LITERALLY JUST SAID HE SOLD IT FOR STEAM MUNNY WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU YA AUTISTIC CONSOLE WAR TWINK
>>
>>322267161
But it does tell you the core mechanics. Its just the more complex mechanics like Soul Voices, auras, and status buff/debuff that dont get explained. Plus upgrading skills and arts is pretty common in jrpgs so you should know that by now since thus isnt an entry level jrpg.
>>
>>322267653
>PC running Steam
>Not essentially a console
kek
>>
>>322267161
You must be 12 and partially retarded it only takes like 5 minutes to look for anything that it's not explained and the rest you can figure it out by actually playing the game.
>>
>>322265837
>continuing to claim it was the Sony Boogeyman
You are literally acting like a child right now.
>>
>>322267645
But why would I read up on the manual just to have everything explained to me in-game a second time in literally every game out there that isn't dwarf fortress? >>322265787 is right about that being some atari shit.
>>
This game has so many bad design choices it's baffling

>not voiced protag with barebones dialogue system
>extremely unfunny segments (the cooking scene before each mission, holy shit is that godawful)
>forces you to "explore" before being able to continue story
>locks in party members in quests for no apparent reason

then it has
>GOAT soundtrack
>superb mech designs
>fun combat like XC
>beautiful artstyle

Fucking god damnit I just wanted xenoblade chronicles 2: mech edition and instead we got this hot garbage
>>
>>322267993
I actually hate everything you talked about except the forced exploration.
Mech designs were ok I guess.
>>
>>322266289
>5 mins to read and comprehend all of it
you're full of shit, it takes damn near half an hour to read it all and even then you don't fully grasp all the game's complexities because even the manual fails to mention them or just breezes through them in a sentence. the first thing I'm hankering to do when I load up a new game is hit pause and read a manual on my wii u screen instead of playing.
>>
>>322267984
Why would you read about things that they already explained in-game? Just read about what you dont know. Because having the having all that info dumped on you can be overwhelming to bew players such as yourself.
>>
>>322268274
You must REALLY hate this game then man

The forced exploration is awful because it makes you so fucking overpowered since you are way overleveled for the story content once you reach it
>>
>>322267993
unfortunately the soundtrack is no where near XC, no even close. nor is the story for that matter, frequently it brings up characters or ideas and then just straight up drops them and doesn't expand on anything it talks about. conflicts are risen in one mission to never be touched upon again with most missions not ever progressing the plot in a meaningful way.
>>
Why does weather only shit on beam attacks and not any of the other types?
>>
>>322267874
>continuing
I only said it once, go back to bloodborne
>>
>>322268543
I'd argue the OST is actually better in some places, just most times it's completely unfitting for the atmosphere

I really like most tracks so far
>>
File: tatsu.jpg (114 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
tatsu.jpg
114 KB, 800x450
>>322265787
TATSU NOT POTATO AHHHAHAHA
>>
>>322267984
Because most people don't have the attention of a 7 year old and can sit down and learn the game mechanics. Literally just read what you don't know, there is a reason why they have a button that takes you straight to the manual.
>>322267993
If it makes you any happier then the game's executive director said the next game will be more linear and story focus like the original Xenoblade. A exploration based game isn't for everyone.
>>
>>322268307
>half an hour
No. It takes way less than that unless you read at a high school level. The pages arent even that long and the text is huge plus its accompanied by pictures. It seriously shouldnt take you mare than 15 minutes
>>
File: Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg (57 KB, 339x470) Image search: [Google]
Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg
57 KB, 339x470
I can't stop playing it /v/, its been all I've done since Christmas, I even missed new years because of it. Help.
>>
>>322268493
I was still underleveled most of the time.
Did you actually fight every single enemy you ran across or something?
I actually had to grind a little for that story visigent asshole.
>>
>>322268774
Just because the mechanics are complex doesn't make them any good or fun. I've played the game, and the combat is just shit
>>
>>322263531

Don't hate this game. But only a huge nintendrone would be able to ignore the significant problems with this game, and fuck everyone who replied with bait fish every time I tried to criticize it
>>
>>322265280
The b prompts trigger when you meet the condition for one of your soul voices to activate, for example if you get a critical hit or if your hp reaches 50% there is a chance a b prompt will appear, if you get it right you will shout to your allies whatever command you have configured for that specific soul voice, meaning your allies will try to use an art of a specific color and they will be rewarded with the special buff you configured for that soul voice and a little heal.
>>
Where the fuck is "Haywire" quest? Can't do murderess' affinity mission
>>
>>322268860
I just farmed those level 35 crabs at the beach for a good 15 minutes at lvl 10 and leveld up like crazy
>>
>>322268445
>Just read about what you dont know
That's a good point, and it would have been what I would have done in something like a 2D RPG, but the main reason I didn't is because there's so much fun shit to do that I didn't even think to do anything other than explore more until my progress came to a grinding halt at the first major boss and I HAD to understand how everything worked.
>>322268986
I agree, except on post's like OP's where it's just "I-It's shit guys!" with literally no criticism
>>
>>322268893
The mechanics aren't complex you bubbling retard. Just because you think the game is complex doesn't mean it is. The game is nearly as simple as the original's combat. The only new thing is soul voice, morale levels, and overdrive mode.
>>
>>322268743
It has some fantastic tracks to be sure but all in all I think XC's soundtrack is consistently better and more atmospherically appropriate.
>>322268853
you're right, I'm a slow reader. at any rate, having to pause your game and read about shit they should've explained in game feels cheap to me. even after playing the game for 70+ hours and reading the manual, I constantly feel as though I have 0 idea why I'm losing in combat. I'll just die because fuck you. I just find it frustrating that not only is the game very complex, but it never has any transparency in terms of what you're doing wrong. Sure I could go to a forum and study up on all the minutia, but I shouldn't need to just to be decent.
>>
>>322269417
They're complex as in you have to actually read through 60 pages of a manual to understand what the fuck everything does.

You missed the part where I say that it's still not fun you fucking piece of shit Nintendrone
>>
>>322269417
>The game is nearly as simple as the original's combat.
I'd say it is simpler. Because your party members are worthless other than....
>soul voice
this. And I think it is a horrible mechanic. I hate it.
>>
>>322269417
chill, the mechanics seems complex to new players because they don't understand how everything works and the game doesn't do a good job of explaining it
>>
>>322269543
What exactly did you need to understand in the first place?
The only thing I remember looking up is what potential does.
>>
>>322269780
Not him but soul arts and soul challenge are confusing as fuck when you start the game
>>
>>322269993
>open soul voices menu
>game describes each one
Idk man.
>>
File: skellmodel1.jpg (232 KB, 467x700) Image search: [Google]
skellmodel1.jpg
232 KB, 467x700
>>322263531
It's not a bad game, but it's a pretty shitty sequel to the first XC.
My biggest gripe is that everything is so fucking small.

Everything from character models to the UI itself is so fucking tiny, its like everything was placed into the world and just scaled down to 1/2 size.
Some of the enemies will literally be entirely blocked from view by the indicators that tell you what level they are.
It doesn't help that the UI presents you with so much extraneous information at one time.
>>
>>322268589
I already played through it. Now I'm playing Xenoblade X and Okage: Shadow King.
>>
>>322269431
Why should they dump all the info you? You'll still get frustrated because "waaa the game is dumping so much on me" "my feet hurt". People like you will still find a way to complain even if it does exactly what you want
>>
>>322269543
Most of the fucking manual isn't even dedicated to the combat. It is literally the original combat with two or three new things, are you that dumb? The only reason it's not fun is because you don't even know how to play the damn game.
>>322269557
>I'd say it is simpler. Because your party members are worthless other than
I wouldn't they're that worthless, but they haven't improve that much over the original and still do retarded mistakes.
>>322269729
Sure, they are complex for the first 4 hours or so, but should at least know most of them by 8 hours or so.
>>
>>322270270
>It doesn't help that the UI presents you with so much extraneous information at one time
you can go to options and turn off parts of the UI like quest details, the map, and the levels for enemies if it helps you
>>
>>322270270
You do know you can zoom out?
>>
>>322270375
no I really wouldn't get frustrated, don't assume shit. better they introduce ideas in game than say "no fuck you just stop playing and read a manual, that's fun right?". I'll play as many tutorials as I need to, just make gameplay. don't presume to know what I want, dipshit. is this game incapable of having a flaw to you?
>>
>>322270391
>but they haven't improve that much over the original
They are worse.
>>
>>322270685
How so? Is there a character AI that is Melia tier AI I'm unaware of?
>>
>>322269993
> " Use an aura and take control of the battle! "
> big blue coloured text box appears
> blue coloured art is pulsing

Did you think about picking that one? i just finished the game and there were literally no confusing mechanics other than potential.
>>
>>322270605
The thing is, that is what YOU want, not everyone else. Most people or should I say kids, have the attention span of a fucking fly and will complain if the game does what YOU want which is have it explain every little thing through tutorials.
>>
>>322270486
Don't know how I missed that. Thanks.

>>322270531
Yeah, it does help with the UI clog, but it only makes everything being tiny seem worse.
>>
>>322270605
What did you have to stop playing and read the manual for?
Combat mechanics are few and far between. You basically just hit stuff on cooldown and do qtes.
>>
>>322271002
It isn't how to use them that was confusing, it was what triggered them/what they did, which the game never explains and you have to find out by going through menus or the manual.
>>
>>322271297
The menus are in the game you know.
I figured out soul voices before I got to NLA.
>>
>>322271269
Right, which is to say nothing about weather effects, weapon attributes and resistances, attributes in general, morale, augments, status effects and what they actually mean, etc.
Most of the preparation is what makes the combat itself complex, something they never mention almost ever.
>>
>>322266102
Everyone besides Elma are androids with custom made bodies that are being controlled by their real bodies that are in the lifehold core.
>>
>>322271269
to be fair there is overdrive and secondary/Tertiary cooldown and overdrive, which do make the combat more than playing whack-a-mole with your abilities even if it isn't very deep
>>
>>322272179
I never had the TP to enter overdrive until I got to the mid 40s.
I went mastermind though and it's easy to use what little tp you get to just blast something for all its health.
I still won't be able to do overdrives on foot until I get some decent augs for it.
>>
File: 289276915.jpg (71 KB, 559x598) Image search: [Google]
289276915.jpg
71 KB, 559x598
>game manual is used to explain in game features and controls
>the manual does just that, and opts out on an overly detailed tutorial segment
>there are still tutorial menus similar to what is presented in the manual as you complete chapters
>most of the game features can be figured out by trial and error, and simply exploring the menus
>WHY DO I HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL?
>>
Borderlands The Pre Sequel.
I wanted to like it since I enjoy the gameplay of Borderlands. Holy fuck the writing is some how memer and more retarded than 2.
I couldn't even refund it since I bought it with KOTOR 2 and I put in 6 hours the first day.
>>
>>322267161
This mentality is killing video games, for an RPG you should read a manual

Games that try to explain everything to you in unskippable tutorials are the worst
>>
>>322274967

Been getting into board games, some of which have 40 page manuals. And given that they're well written I'm ok with that, as its the only tool they have to explain the game.

But as a medium videogames have more methods of teaching available to them and should utilize them to their fullest extent. I'll conceded sometimes its not feasible to stuff every minute mechanic into an in-game tutorial, but devs have the duty to explain as much as possible in game with proper pacing.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.