[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baroque thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: Baroque_Wii_US_rated.jpg (1 MB, 1530x2150) Image search: [Google]
Baroque_Wii_US_rated.jpg
1 MB, 1530x2150
I rented this game a while back on a whim and holy shit, this is the game of my dreams.

>constantly depleting Vitality forces the player to choose between finding the exit as soon as possible or scavenging for items
>unique way to carry over items after death
>10/10 atmosphere

The combat could probably be a bit better but other than that I'm loving it. What are some other dungeon crawlers worth checking out? Why do critics have such shit taste?
>>
STING games are an acquired taste.
>>
>>322240067
No, they don't have shit taste. The game just isn't good. No problem with you liking it, just don't act like a drakengardfag.
>>
Mystery Dungeon series I guess
>>
man I loved the hell out of this game.
I wish the game was a little more clear about progressing the story, though
>>
Goddamnit
>>
This game was shit
>>
Time limits are terrible, especially in games where exploration is encouraged.
>>
File: arm.jpg (54 KB, 512x699) Image search: [Google]
arm.jpg
54 KB, 512x699
>find some bones
>try to eat them
>"you broke several teeth"
>-10hp
>"you can now use the bones like a homing weapon"
What a weird game.
>>
Can this be played without motion controls/does it emulate well?
>>
>>322242627
It's not worth playing, but yea it probably emulates well
>>
>>322242627
There's a PS2 version, it runs surprisingly well on my toaster.
>>
All this remake really needed was a better OST, and the city needed to be as downright spooky as the original.

Also regarding Vitality it's never really a big deal since the game hands you food constantly on the earlier floors and some enemies will spawn pickups that refill your VT automatically when you touch them, and your VT refills and increases whenever you level up.

The real challenge is speedrunning to the bottom of the tower at a minimal level while praying for good item RNG (but mostly for the Toy Box) and for mobs that won't charm you.

>>322242232
anon pls, that shit's perfectly tame compared to shit like that item that turned your footsteps into cat noises for the rest of the run

>>322242627
This version is on the PS2 as well, it emulates fine on that.
>>
>>322240552
literally every negative review for this game complains about how it's not traditional and how it's too relentless, which is the main draw of the game.

it's not shit taste as much as it is retardation. it would be like if i rated chess a 4/10 because "it felt like a non traditional and relentless checkers game"
>>
>>322242969
For me the game is shit because the graphics and gameplay are both horrendus, not because it "isn't traditional"
>>
>>322243075
Looks better than Undertale
>>
File: 1441337719743.png (233 KB, 680x671) Image search: [Google]
1441337719743.png
233 KB, 680x671
>>322243295
Anon, don't. There was literally no reason for the comparison and you'll fuck the thread.
>>
>>322240067
It was extremely repetitive and losing all your gear on death got old real fast.
>>
>>322243075
And I forgot to add, having a permanent time counter even when you're in the town, the game's only hub, was fucking retarded and killed any possible enjoyment
>>
>>322243451
People definitely would've complained about this more if they didn't add saving between each floor to the NA version
>>
>>322243530
The game won't kill you until your vitality and HP both run out, you'll only die from vit loss in the town if you just sit around doing nothing outside of a menu. On top of that, you can completely heal from the discs on the ground by the tower entrance.

I have a feeling you didn't sit with this game for more than an hour or two.
>>
>>322243451
>I never played a Shiren game
or
>I never played a RNG based game ever
>>
>>322243536
Atlus making it more casual was a godsend for autistic completionists when some of the best items in the game have such a low appearance rate you have to abuse the Toy Box to see them ever.

I don't want to know how the nips put themselves through that shit on the Saturn, or what they did when they found out you couldn't 100% the game because it was bugged.
>>
>>322240067
Now this is a game that I didn't expect to have threads for.
10/10 experience. Sting could do a remake or a sequel or something but alas even the Dept Heaven games are dead at this point.
>>
>>322240067
PS/SS > Wii/PS2 version
First person or die
>>
>>322245403
Is there even a translation to the PS version? Or the VN prequel?
>>
>>322245192
They ported the PS2 version to iOS and added a score attack mode or some shit. Actually saw a release in the West with the script pasted from the ps2 release but with no voices.

>>322245403
You could actually unlock the first person mode in the PS2 version from beating the game once. Not being available from the start was fucking stupid.
>>
>>322245486
>Is there even a translation to the PS version?
I saw somebody on /vr/ scratch the surface with hacking it.
>>
>>322245486
No and no. Neither were popular enough to go through with (but someone tried fucking with the game once), but the manga was picked up and completely translated.
>>
>>322245614
>>322245740
It's something I guess. I'll look for the manga then. Thanks, anons.
>>
>>322245920
And it fucking sucks too, because we're missing out on all the original assets and the OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6N2ZcKJe84

It's on the JP PSN store; spent like an hour or so with it and it was some of the creepiest shit I've ever played in my life.
>>
>>322246205
Yeah, I tried playing it too and was some fucked up shit. A shame gems like these are forgotten. I seriously hope Sting gets it's act together. They were one my favorite developers.
>>
>>322244558
theres no reason why you should have to keep running to the goddamn disc while you are trying to explore the town.
>>
>>322240067
OP do you mind if i ask where the hell you rented a wii game from in 2016?
>>
>>322247291
You don't brah, both meters drain pretty slowly. You never have anything to do in the town outside of a menu that will deplete them both twice.
>>
>>322240552
Fuck you, drakengardfag here, we don't act like the games are amazing. The gameplay is shit in the first two games. Hell the only problem we ever have is people who like to shit on D3 when it has very passable gameplay.
>>
>>322247658
Adding on to this, there's that achievement you get from not touching the controller at all until you die. Shit takes awhile.

What sucks about VT is when you have none of it and very low health on the last floor when you need to dump your items in the spheres and kill the god in the span of like 50 seconds. Thank god for save scumming.
>>
File: 1402063057472.jpg (70 KB, 500x671) Image search: [Google]
1402063057472.jpg
70 KB, 500x671
>eat invincibility bone
>use summon torturer
>>
>>322248419
>summon torturer
Never got these fucking things when I wanted them. It got to the point where I just stopped bothering with torturers altogether
>>
File: 1400649950294.jpg (77 KB, 887x1097) Image search: [Google]
1400649950294.jpg
77 KB, 887x1097
>>322249652
It's damn necessary to get stuff identified asap in this game because there's all kinds of fun stupid shit you can do with the right stuff.
>Parasite Fluid
>it just injects one random parasite into you
>when you could instead breed some badass composite parasite to infest yourself with
>mfw throwing Parasite Fluid at an enemy and it fucking turns the enemy into a random parasite I can do whatever I want with
>>
>>322250029
Now that I think about it the only fluids I ever bothered with (at least on the PS2, on the Wii I fucked around with as much as I could because I had no idea what it was doing) were the atk/def increasing ones. I found 2 addition boxes very early on and I scummed for the Vampire sword and found the Twisted Coat just sitting around on the next floor, and this is without extending the tower.

Composite parasites were fun as fuck, though. Making yourself immune to every status effect in the game was fun as well.

So was getting unique dialogue out of the NPCs from hitting them with different elements. Bloodborne is the only other game I know of that does that.
>>
>>322250762
NPCs were actually pretty great in general in this game, just held back by repeating lines a bit too often and not saying anything new often enough. They could say all kinds of stuff depending on what you're wearing, what you hit them with, what you give or throw at them, or even if you're suffering status ailments. Lust always gets fun results.
>>
>>322251080
>tfw the box man and his daughter
>killing his daughter and throwing her sephira at him drives him crazy
>you have to do this and then kill him to proceed with the game
>tfw the Koriel members guilt tripping you constantly for betraying them

Only NPC I really didn't give any fucks about was Longneck.
>>
What the fuck am I even doing where's my gun how do I exit the dungeon. Game is fucking weird
>>
File: archangel_impaled_ps2.jpg (807 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
archangel_impaled_ps2.jpg
807 KB, 1440x1080
>>322251080
I loved the NPCs' lines in this game, the Archangel's being my favorite. I remember pissing him off by throwing the angelic rifle into the orb he was pinned on.
>>
>>322251802
>thief bastards steal your gun
>thief bastards in general
I know the game gives you another one on the very last floor but for fucks sake
>>
>>322251951
Guy fucking deserves it for making you kill one of the only waifus in the game
>>
>>322246517
The whole conjoined twins thing was easily one of the most disturbing aspects of this game. Especially on the PS1 where the sibling you weren't playing as appeared as a tormented ghost thing instead of just kind of showing up as a little kid like they do in the remake
>>
>>322251951
>why did this happen
>my back hurts
>I wish I was god creating a new world
>did this fucking kid really just throw the gun away
>why do I even bother
>>
the manga was fun to read but never played the game sadly
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.