[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What style do you prefer? >>Current Preference? >>What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: u wot.jpg (523 KB, 1616x928) Image search: [Google]
u wot.jpg
523 KB, 1616x928
What style do you prefer?

>>Current Preference?
>>What ages best?
>>Which do you look for what defining "best graphics"
>>Which allows for more creativity?
>>What is more important to you?

I debate all the time, "Best graphics" comes down to art style every time and people seem to different pretty drastically to what they consider best graphics. On a technical level, on a creative level or whatever else.

It's changed over the years for me, i used to be all about realism but these days i like a blend of both and sometimes pure style. I used to think it depended on the genre too but these days i love stylistic shooters over realistic looking ones. SWB looks pretty amazing on a technical level but when i saw it that's all i thought, i didnt get the wow factor i used to when seeing hyper realistic graphics.
>>
File: tumblr_n9s69tblpD1skatj7o1_1280.jpg (129 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9s69tblpD1skatj7o1_1280.jpg
129 KB, 580x386
>Current Preference?
Stylistic
>What ages best?
Stylistic
>Which do you look for what defining "best graphics"
Realism, though it is very short lived
>Which allows for more creativity?
Stylistic Realism, since it still has a more grounded look
>What is more important to you?
Just make it look unique.
>>
I'll deal with ASCII graphics if the game is actually good
>>
>>322068901
Stylistic will age better in the long run won't it? I choose that since if I wanted realism I'd go outside.
>>
>>322069434
Fuck baby sloths are cute.

>Which allows for more creativity?
>Stylistic Realism, since it still has a more grounded look

Interesting you'd say that, most people would say stylistic has the most freedom creatively. I generally say the same as you because you can still have that high end technical look while being a bit crazy
>>
>>322069434
First post and we already got the most reasonable opinion. Especially:
>Just make it look unique.
>>
>>322068901
>realism
>post fantasy game
>>
>>322069869
Yeah i wasn't expecting my thread to just come to a head so quickly.

Well fuck
>>
I feel like, with current tech, synthetic realism works best. Stylistic ages well, but the only reason we didn't do synth realism before was because the tech couldn't accomodate that much detail, meaning it would just slip into styalization. It's a happy medium between realistic proportions and the safety from the uncanny valley that styalized looks can provide.
>>
>>322070000
What? How is the genre of the game got anything to do with the graphics? You didn't even read the post did you?
>>
File: ffxv 11.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
ffxv 11.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>322068901
Stylistic realism should be represented by FFXV
>>
Anyone that gives an answer other than stylised is 100% wrong and part of what's killing the industry.
>>
>>Current Preference?
Stylistic realism
>>What ages best?
stylistic
>>Which do you look for what defining "best graphics"
Art direction+technology
>>Which allows for more creativity?
Stylistic
art direction and creativity. battlefront sucks because the environments are plain as fuck.
>>
I think it takes the most talent to make a game look good with stylistic realism, so I appreciate it more. I think that's why games like The Witcher and Dark Souls get so much praise for their art direction. It takes a lot of creativity, but you also need to remain practical and can't deviate too far from standard designs. Of course it's difficult to have cohesive art direction with stylistic games too, which is why Atlus' games stand out so much.

I really have no appreciation for realistic design anymore, it's often impressive but I just can't seem to give a fuck.
>>
>>322068901
>>>Which do you look for what defining "best graphics"
TECHNOLOGY, attention to detail and so on.
Once in a while we see those webms here on /v/ of simulated water and snow and other objects and fluids and it just looks so impossibly real. I can't wait untill devs stop using MUH RESOLUTIONS AND FPASSES as selling points and start incorporating that kind of thing into vidya.
>>
Stylized but before it turns into a parody of pixelized indie shit.
>>
>>322070691
I thought about that yeah, Witcher 3 fits just as well for being realistic while still having a style that sets says it's not trying to look photo realistic.
>>
>>322068901
I'm one to usual argue for style but when you're dealing with an IP, you can't say that Battlefront don't look fucking awesome.

I haven't bought it but just looking at it makes me feel like a little kid again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGyaR2sSBkA
>>
>>322071518
gameplay mods when?
>>
>>322068901
>Current Preference?
Stylistic, though if all realistic games looked as good as >>322071518 then I'd be a tie
>What ages best?
Stylistic
>Which do you look for what defining "best graphics"
Realistic/Stylistic realism
>What is more important to you?
Stylistic with a nice art style like the new Rayman games or Wind Waker.
>>
>>322071518
I think the hardest thing realistic graphics has to overcome is the shit we unconscionably know looks shit. Some of the explosions in that clip look weird for example. And it can completely ruin the illusion it's going for. So it makes the task pretty darn hard. That being said i think on a photorealistc level Battlefront comes as close as we have gotten in a long while.

>>322071229
This matters so much to me, if there is some great tech at work it can take on realistic, stylistic or a mix. Water is a big deal for me, if the water looks shitty then it really gives me the shits. Probably the most important thing graphics wise for me is lighting. If a game has shitty lighting it makes a lot of the hard work look crappy. Physics based lighting is something that i want to see more of but most games dont do it.
>>
>>322068901
Hrrnnkk yen
>>
>>322072551
Actually met a girl who looks like Yen, she seemed keen for a ploughing but i had a girlfriend at the time. Fuck my life.
>>
>>322072717
Cool
>>
File: yes.jpg (50 KB, 680x485) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
50 KB, 680x485
>>322073858
Yes.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.