[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sonic Lost world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: sonic_lost_world.jpg (198 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
sonic_lost_world.jpg
198 KB, 940x529
I just finished this game and I really enjoyed it. Everyone says its shit. I even collected all the red rings. Is there something wrong with me or is the game isn't actually as bad as people say.
Here is how I got the game :

>At my friends house
>We share our steam libraries with eachother.
>I go home and take a look.
>Almost everything is identical
>I see sonic lost world.
>I did not play a single sonic game except the first one.
>Why not.jpg
>Download it and try it
>Love it.
>Wait for my friend to log off everyday(He plays vidya pretty much all day) just to play sonic lost world
>fml

And he also says sonic generations is much better. Should I buy it /v/ ?
>>
>>322057020
Different strokes for different folks.
I definitely do recommend buying Sonic Generations though.
>>
>>322057020

I love Sonic games but Lost World has some awful level design. Plus the game never really gets fast. Was trying to hard to be Mario Galaxy.
>>
>>322057020
It's not good. But it's not that bad... It's loke a 6/10...

And slow.... .Sooooo slow.... That's boring.
>>
>>322057020
If you liked Sonic 1 then yes, you'd probably like Generations.
>>
>>322058430
>>322058383
>>322058117

I do realise it is not a "good" or "great" game and also its level design flaws.
And yes 2d sections are slow but with the infinite spindash thing it seemed pretty fast to me.

I just watched a sonic generations video since I did not play a 3d sonic game before and It looks way faster ; I guess you guys are right. Gonna buy it right away than.

>>322058665

I can barely remember it actually so Im not sure. But generations is really cheap now so gonna buy it anyway.
>>
>>322058117
The OP probably had a stroke if he thought modern sanic was any good.
>>
>>322059061
I actually enjoyed modern sonic after getting used to it :/ I did not play mario galaxy or a 3d sonic game, so I did not have any expectations.
>>
>>322059052
Word to the wise: There's a mod that adds the Sonic Unleashed levels to Generations as well. Definitely give it a go once you beat Generations for an additional 7 well crafted levels to run through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBE2EFNQoEo
The final boss is also pure garbage. Like, legitimately the worst part of the entire game. This mod makes it a little bit more bearable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEH9-0rnwY

For how to mod, just google it. It's as simple as downloading a launcher.
>>322059346
>:/
Don't do that.
>>
>>322057020
Universally speaking, it's got pretty bad controls and handlng, which coupled by some incredibly fluctuating stage design makes for a really inconsistent and often pretty crap experience.

Were it any game other than a Sonic game, I'd give Lost World a 6/10 - some good ideas but fatally flawed. However, it also has the misfortune of being a Sonic game, and hits absolutely none of the bullet points on the Sonic list. Sonic doesn't handle a thing like he should, EVEN by the pretty lax standards (and I use that phrase incredibly loosely) of the 3D Sonic outings. The visuals have more in common with Mario than Sonic, there's only two or three truly memorable songs (and the music of Sonic is normally it's redeeming factor even during his darkest days). Oh yeah, and what the fuck was up with using the Gamepad for the Wisps (for the Wii U version at least)? Literally fuck that shit.

To sum it up, it's a pretty mediocre platformer, which isn't anything new for 3D Sonic, but that's compounded by the fact that it also ticks none of the boxes for a lot of Sonic fans, meaning even some of the more die-hard, eat-any-shit-SEGA-puts-out varieties of Sonic fans are jaded towards this outing.
>>
Lost World is the best 3D sonic

People just have bad taste
>>
>>322057020
I'm afraid its too late OP. you officially have autism now, sonic tends to do that to people I'm afraid.
>>
>>322057020
>Everyone says its shit.
Nah, its pretty 50/50 I think, I enjoyed it too. The level design was pretty hit or miss though. Those open 3D levels like Desert Ruins 1 or Lava Mountain 3 were fun and awesome though
>>
>>322059789
Oh I heard the game was short so this will help alot. Thank you anon.
>>322059872
I guess I really should play some other sonic games huh. But there are just so many. Which ones are actually good ? Everyone praises sonic adventure is it that good ?

>>322060002
Well as long as this blue thing makes me have fun when I take a break from grinding on warframe ; I am okay with it.
>>
>>322057020
sonic controls likke dogshit
I enjoyed the 2d parts until I realized I could literally play any 2d platformer and probably have more fun. Well I didn't think exactly that, I simply wondered why I was wasting my time with this when the 2d sections are better done in Donkey Kong and the 3d sections are done better in Galaxy
>>
>>322060671
Sonic 1,2,3 and 3k, Sonic CD, Advance 1, 2 and 3 on GBA, Rush and Rush Adventure on the DS, Sonic Battle, Adventure 1 and 2, Colors, Generations, and I personally love Heroes, but it's admittedly a buggy mess of a game.

Honestly, "Bad Sonic game" is just a meme. There's been over a dozen good to amazing games released over the past 25 years of the franchise, but the three or so objectively awful games sullied the entire brand to the point where they can't even release a 7/10 Sonic game without it being the blunder of the century. Nostalgiafags are also to blame, hating everything that isn't a 2D sidescroller. Case in point, the classic segments in Generations are objectively broken compared to the original Genesis games. The level design is bland, the spindash is overpowered, and the rolling physics are absolutely bonkers, yet the classic segments are praised endlessly over the mindblowing 3D segments simply by virtue of you controlling the tubby sidescrolling Classic Sonic. Sonic fans don't know what they want, and Sega doesn't know what to do with the franchise.
>>
>>322063606

>three or so

lol
>>
>>322063606
Oh I see , in that case Im gonna start with generations and then gonna play heroes. I trust your taste anon. You are nice ; thanks again for helping me out.
>>
File: zeena.png (81 KB, 609x526) Image search: [Google]
zeena.png
81 KB, 609x526
ost and this chick are the only good things about lost world
>>
>>322064165
I really wouldn't play Heroes right after. I know I'm weird for liking it.
>>
>>322064165

Heroes is the worst mainline sonic game, don't play it.

yeah I mean worse than 06 too. At least that game's fun to watch be a total fucking mess of shit and ass. Heroes is just the boring kind of bad.
>>
>>322064281
although the levels where you become a giant snowball made me rage so fkin hard she is pretty nice yeah.

>>322064346
Just a reminder ; I like sonic lost world....
So I probably am weirder ; going for it anon :)
>>
>>322057020
That basically sums it up. The biggest criticism of Lost World is it got rid of everything that fans expected from Sonic and turned it into a more generic platforming game, especially with heavy comparisons to Mario.

I personally didn't hate it, but the game suffered from an overload of control gimmicks with none of them being expanded on fully. They already had an entire game centered around the Wisps (Colors), they could make an entire game centered around the parkour mechanics, most of the individual stage gimmicks could be expanded into separate games, etc. Everything felt like it was trying to be another jack of all trades like the Adventure games instead of mastering one or two.
>>
>>322064516
I agree with you but unfortunately there are people on /v/ young enough to have actually played that as a childhood game and get mad if you call it bad

I count my blessings that my first Sonic game as a kid was Sonic 2
>>
File: 1447470071434.gif (680 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1447470071434.gif
680 KB, 600x800
No wonder, you came in with barely any expectations.

Give the other Sonic games a try before you play Generations. You might appreciate it more. Well maybe not Sonic 06.
>>
>>322060671
Any of the 16 bit sonic sidescrollers are good, the steam port of Sonic CD is the definitive version.

If you really want to play adventure, just emulate the Dreamcast version, you will be falling through the floor in every other version.

If after that you want to play Adventure 2, consider that the only levels worth a damn are sonic/shadow levels, all the ports of this are good, i recommend PC becuase you get 16:9 aspect ratio on that.

Don't bother with unleashed, since you can play all the good levels on that generation mod, don't bother with the 2006 game or the RPG either.

All the 3-D/GBA sidesrollers are good, ironically the most mediocre one is sonic 4 episode 1, which was supposed to be a "comeback", the episode 2 is worth playing.

Play the PS2 and Wii era games only if you liked SA and SA2, they have some fun gimmicks, avoid PS2 version of sonic heroes at all cost.
>>
>>322064792

Anon I played Heroes as a kid and even then I thought it was at the very least lame.
>>
Play Sonic 1 2 and then 3 and Knuckles (Which is actually two games combined and the definitive way to play them. Then CD. Those are the good sidescrollers.

Then I'd play Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and probably Sonic Colours and Generations.

Most of the others are fairly missable. Advance series are alright but not nearly as good as the genesis games. Same with Rush and Rush Adventure. Sonic Battle is good but really different and barely a Sonic game.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 640x640
>>322059789
>The final boss is also pure garbage. Like, legitimately the worst part of the entire game.
Don't even remind me about that, literally the worst final boss ever. There was no real sense of advancing the battle there, no sense of control, what an absolute fuckfest.

And yes, 3D Sonic games have always had somewhat shitty final bosses, but that one was still something special. I cannot believe that they actually let the game get released with that fight in it.
>>
>>322064937
The 12 minutes long levels killed it
>>
File: zeenagood.jpg (69 KB, 723x675) Image search: [Google]
zeenagood.jpg
69 KB, 723x675
>>322064281
damn straight
>>
>>322064516
I still wonder who thought that it would be good idea to have the player go through the same stages four times. The teams just weren't different enough to keep the game interesting for that long.

Oh well, at least we got some super-cheesy songs from that game.
>>
File: 1446699754684.jpg (28 KB, 348x321) Image search: [Google]
1446699754684.jpg
28 KB, 348x321
>>322065526

WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN
>>
>>322064154
Sorry, four.
Boom, Sonic 4, 06, Shadow. There aren't many games worse than Boom and 06, Shadow plays like a B movie, and 4 is just bland.

>>322064683
O-okay Anon, but just remember that I seriously tried to stop you.

>>322064937
>>322064792
>>322065245
See, I like it for most of the reasons other people hate it. I like the cast even if they're all virtually the same because I like the gameplay. I love the ridiculously long levels because I like the level design and themeing. In fact, I STILL prefer 10-15 minute long levels over the 3-4 minute acts we've been getting. At least then, the 60$ game would last longer than 3 hours before completion. That's actually the one thing I don't understand about criticism for Heroes. What's the issue with having long levels? Plenty of other platformers have levels that last upwards of 10, 15, and even 20+ minutes. Why is it a sin for Sonic levels to have longevity above all others?

I'll secede it having problems with mediocre gameplay, bizarre design decisions, glitches, etc etc. But the three things I'll fight you on is art/environmental design, music, and length.
>>
>>322066393
>Why is it a sin for Sonic levels to have longevity above all others?

Because in a sonic level longevity is usually caused by retarded filler/padding rather than anything good. For example long drawn out fights with enemies with health bars in heroes (admittedly, I'm mostly thinking of the latter stages) or some really shitty wisps sections in colors/lost world.
>>
>>322066764
If fights took too long, then you weren't playing the game correctly. Every enemy has their weakness, and 9 times out of 10 a fully leveled Knuckles will tear through them. I usually make it a point to switch to Knuckles before every checkpoint for this very reason. I mean, honestly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETz0HA4LmE
This is one of the later levels in the game, and when played competently it can move just as fast as any other Sonic game. I really feel like most people who hated Heroes didn't give it a fair enough shake. It DEFINITELY has issues. Big issues, but they're not as blown up as some people make it seem. Plus, the soundtrack is still amazing.
>>
>>322067482

honestly I only bring up heroes because I'm remembering one specific enemy that I don't know the name of, and because it was more relevant to the current discussion than 06 which has the same problem.

Health bars on normal enemies in a sonic game was never a good idea and I'm glad they dropped it like an ugly baby afterwards.
>>
>>322067726
>Health bars on normal enemies in a sonic game was never a good idea and I'm glad they dropped it like an ugly baby afterwards.
As opposed to enemies being completely forgettable obstacles that you just plow through without any thought throughout the normal course of the level? Honestly, healthbars are the way to go for enemies to have any sort of challenge in a 3D space. in 2D, enemies served to as sudden obstacles that could catch you by surprise, and in later levels they usually had some sort of gimmick that you would have to bait out or avoid in order to damage them. They were an actual nuisance. In the 3D games, the closest example of that are the electric shocking helicopter dudes. In a modern Sonic setting, healthbars are some of the best ways to provide a challenge to the enemy variety, so long as you don't go overboard and supply quick ways to defeating enemies for players who payed attention... Just like in Heroes.
>>
File: Classic vs Modern.webm (3 MB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Classic vs Modern.webm
3 MB, 400x320
>>322057020
The only Sonic games you ever played were Sonic 1 and Sonic Lost World and you can't see the issue.
>>
The game is good in REALLY small and specific parts. The game overall is not good. The overwhelming majority of level design is fucking garbage. When its actually about pure platforming and running while avoiding obstacles it is great but that is too rare.
>>
>>322070178
this really makes op come off as fucking retarded. To me at least this proves that the kind of people who like a shitty game like Lost World are also the kind who dont make obvious connections or think very critically about games.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.