[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never played an MMORPG and wanna get into one. Which one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 550x482) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 550x482
I never played an MMORPG and wanna get into one.

Which one will get me super addicted and ruin my life?
>>
>>322052467
If you're able to wait about a month then you should try Blade and Soul.
>>
>>322052467
You're late about 10 to 15 years, give or take some.
>>
File: wowscrn2.jpg (340 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
wowscrn2.jpg
340 KB, 1600x1000
no joke they're all bad. it's a cursed genre and the stars need to align for a good MMO to be made
>>
MMORPGs still exist?

I thought WoW had even lost its relevancy.
>>
File: 1392175425492.jpg (19 KB, 525x521) Image search: [Google]
1392175425492.jpg
19 KB, 525x521
>>322052467
MMOs were the shit for a while... until people realized playing something this scale and maintaining a life sucks.
>>
>>322052628
Sadly this

If you really want a decent mmo experience you could try a WoW private server but it's not the same as it was when it was live, though for a new player it might still be pretty cool
>>
The whole MMO thing is over now. You won't find a "good" one.

Even though it's a shadow of its former self, WoW is the only option.
>>
>>322052467
>Which one will get me super addicted and ruin my life?

depends on a variety of factors, the first one is your computer, if you have a toaster a few games won't be playable and you'll be stuck with ultra shitty ones like Runescape, Maplestory, Tibia

Moving up a bit in hardware you can go for WoW, Ragnarok,Lineage II, Everquest, those are the classic ones that got everyone addicted.

If you have a somewhat better rig you can Try Guild Wars 2 or Tera.

There's a bunch of unsuccessful mmos available too if you're interested in thematic shit like Star Trek Online, Age of Conan, or cheap WoW clones like Rift. There's a bunch of anime garbage like Dragon Nest (not really an mmo but kinda), Eden Eternal, Perfect World, Mabinogi, Aura Kingdom, the list is endless.

The next big thing are Black Desert Online, Blade&Soul and Tree of Savior, so if you want to play something that isn't sort of dead and has a bright future I suggest you wait for those a bit longer.

Oh and whatever people tell you, don't ever stop playing a game because they tell you the "Dev" is shit, you'll hear a lot of people saying NEXON is the worst, Gpotato is the worst, Perfect World Entertainment is the worst, Blizzard is the worst, NCsoft is the worst, Aeria is the worst, Ankama is the worst, Webzen is the worst, OGplanet is the worst, SOE is the worst, Turbine is the worst, TRION is the worst... etc

Every single f2p game is going to have a degree of pay2win, just deal with it, don't get biased by the comments form the people who waste 800 hours on a game without noticing the obvious pay2win walls in the game and then start saying X game is the worst game in the world. One of the main offenders is Archeage, the game has layer after layer of pay2win elements so the average user can't notice it right away, but when you really get into it you realize how impossible it is to progress your character without putting a mortgage on your house.
>>
Well, WoW is designed to get someone like you nowadays. Go for it.
>>
>>322052467
>monthly subscription
EVE Online

>buy to play
Secret World

>free to play
wait for Blade and Soul

>free to play and you are seriously fucked up
Second Life
>>
You can always try out the WoW free trial. You can only get to level 20, but you might like it!
>>
>>322052467
None at the moment

Don't bother, all current MMOs are pure trash

Wait some time for Everquest Next
>>
does anybody here play wow alone, is it good fun and a time killer if you just do your own thing, no raids or pvping.
>>
>>322058626
>some time
>>
Black Desert is fucking fun if you like MMO/life sims like Ultima/Dransik.

I sat there for 8 fucking hours tending my pepper crops in cbt 1. Watched some anime on the other monitor and had some beer.
>>
File: saved.jpg (62 KB, 504x470) Image search: [Google]
saved.jpg
62 KB, 504x470
TRY GUILD WARS 2 ITS FREE TO PLAY AND NOT PAY TO WIN WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?
>>
>>322052628
This. Ffxiv is probably your best bet these days.
>>
>>322059801
seriously? and did you make a bunch of dosh out of it or something?
>>
>>322052573
Coming out of moon lands in a month?
>>
>>322059995
60 gigs on a shitty game?
>>
>>322059995
Definitely worth a try. The end game is kinda unique. Instead of going to instances, it's all about world bosses, which are on timers that you can look up. Also, differen't maze, jumping puzzle things that you can do on a guild level. As I said, worth a try.
>>
File: 1450594384611.jpg (359 KB, 972x972) Image search: [Google]
1450594384611.jpg
359 KB, 972x972
>>322052467
Anon,you are in 2015. This is the dark age of the mmos.
>>
File: Walls of Guild Wars 2.jpg (2 MB, 3150x2910) Image search: [Google]
Walls of Guild Wars 2.jpg
2 MB, 3150x2910
>>322055138
>>322059995
>recommending GW2
>at all
They don't give a single fuck about their playerbase except shitting out the cash shop

>>322061184
>The end game is kinda unique
>dungeon is dead
>fractal is kill off with all the bullshit
>wvw feel less fun than ever
>latest guild feature was a fuck you to the small guilds
>that pvp season that fuck it all up with gated timers
>silver waste farming is still a thing
>light armor is robe, medium is trench coat, and heavy is a reskin while all the new skins are cashshop
Why don't you shill somewhere else, faggot?
>>
>>322061329
And yet to know all that you clearly spent hundreds of horus playing GW2. Let new players decide for themselves instead of just flaunting your butthurt. The game is casual as fuck, so yeah if you wanted something to last you 5000 hours it isn't the right choice, but is an alright choice for people who probably won't even get past the first 100 hours.
>>
File: 10 dollars.jpg (130 KB, 429x768) Image search: [Google]
10 dollars.jpg
130 KB, 429x768
>>322061975
Or maybe they should play something else worth their time instead of enabling the incompetent devs that milking their dwindling population because they think it's a good idea to sell 10 dollar shit skins like this and place the normal winter event in a grind, especially the 1000000 drinkatron if you want that aura. Fuck, I would even recommend shit like ToR over this MMO and ToR is a horrible Star Wars game.
>>
File: TheChosenOneSyndromeForMMOs.jpg (731 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
TheChosenOneSyndromeForMMOs.jpg
731 KB, 1680x1050
>>322054324
>You won't find a "good" one.
There never was one.

RPGs rely on the idea of a character growing stronger as the game progresses through experiencing some kind of story. MMOs rely on having a shitton of people playing the same game in the same spaces.

The problem is, the RPG design ends up causing a lack of time to do any alternate story paths, and if you can't use the MMO aspect for the RPG aspects, you're basically paying for an RPG with a chatroom functionality.

Which is what most MMOs turned into when the gameplay became boring, thanks to the RPG design being notoriously easy to fuck up with grinding was almost always a definite result; the game becomes a chatroom (with RPG minigame) where you'd hang out with your online friends, because you have nothing better to do with your time.

Why do you think you're posting on /v/
>>
>>322062358
I hate GW2 as much as you do, but stop being selfish, it's an ok option for casuals.

And ToR isn't that bad either, it has over 200 hours of recorded voice acting, the character stories are on par with single player games, the game has a lot of flaws, but if you stop once you hit cap it's fine.

Go sperg somewhere else
>>
OPs pic is laughably wrong. Just because you riced out your UI your 8 move rotation doesn't magically become complicated.
>>
File: We want the Tumblr crowd.jpg (550 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
We want the Tumblr crowd.jpg
550 KB, 1920x1080
>>322062863
If they want to play causal, then I recommend WoW, FF14, Runescape, or any other MMO beside GW 2.

Having tons of VA doesn't mean shit if the acting itself is bad in many of the stories and the Expansion did a wonderful job shitting and killing Revan and KotoR more and more.

Why don't you stop shilling a bad game, GW 2 advertiser?
>>
>>322061329
What's wrong with the butterfly and angle wings?
>>
>>322055138
Really informative post. However, I disagree on one point :
>Oh and whatever people tell you, don't ever stop playing a game because they tell you the "Dev" is shit, you'll hear a lot of people saying NEXON is the worst, Gpotato is the worst, Perfect World Entertainment is the worst, Blizzard is the worst, NCsoft is the worst, Aeria is the worst, Ankama is the worst, Webzen is the worst, OGplanet is the worst, SOE is the worst, Turbine is the worst, TRION is the worst... etc
Everyone should avoid Nexon, Gpotato, Aeria and PWE like the plague. Especially Gpotato, fuck them for ruining Allods.
>>
>>322063735
>>322063290
that's exactly why I said it, people like you with limited knowledge of mmos are bitter inside because you felt X companny betrayed you or some shit, when they're all the same, no matter what you think, no matter what you do, they're all a business, and they're not going to appeal to you just because you think you deserve a "fair cash shop" or "appeal to the hardcore audience". They have all various degrees of bad within them, you just learn to deal with the lesser evil, as there's no perfect mmo.

Go ahead keep being mad all you want, you won't ever be happy again, I can't talk shit about every single mmo released in english since I've already played them all, and I can see good things about most of them as well, if you just want to bash X title because it stole your childhood or something learn to deal with your frustration instead of trying to make everyone bitter and never ever touch those games when you actually spend hundreds of hours already playing them like a god damn hypocrite.
>>
>>322059995
I tried HOT out starting this month, used the holiday event to craft a full suit of ascended and now theres no motivation to play outside of logging on for SPvP

>implying I care about a legendary weapon that adds no DPS increase for 2k gold

games fucking boring, wheres teh end game content?
>>
File: This is 2015.webm (3 MB, 960x580) Image search: [Google]
This is 2015.webm
3 MB, 960x580
>>322064145
Anon, Neo-Anet unsuccessfully ran a three year event call the Living Story that did the bare minimum, shit out a fan-fic tier story about a mary sue name Scarlet, gave us an actual tumblr group because the old group va quit, made most of the content temporary so it's a big fuck you to the players that are in vacation, ruin the trait system three times, treat WvW like an red hair child, literally treat their fanbase like a bunch of babies with the NPE update, nerf a bunch of farming place, and a whole lots of shit that is too much to list. On top of this, they did a whole lot of shit with the Expansions, after three years of shit content, that made a lot of players quit

Go fuck yourself, GW 2 shiller.
>>
>>322064145
Holy shit you're one passive agressive cunt. Having a discussion with people like you is useless since you pull your arguments out of your ass.

I can't understand your point but let me tell you that you're a fucking retard if you're defending f2p and the company that makes them.
>>
>>322064835
I'm one of those players that quit fucker, I have probably 750 hours on the god damn game or more, I know what's going on.

Still, random faggots who don't play mmos and don't care about all that "BETRAYED" bullshit you're talking about can enjoy ti and have fun for dozens of hours, for free even.

If you know about mmos you already know how shit GW2 ends to be and to avoid it like the plague, to people that don't really dig into the genre it's a god damn robust game with a lot of content for free. Unless they go turbo neet like myself or you there's not problem with fooling around in it for 50-150 hours, they'll never deal with your frustration about living story, cash shop drama, SJW agenda or whatever it is that made you so salty.

When people as mmo reccomendations and you just jump into the subject saying "HUH NO WHAT THAT FAGGOT SAID IS WRONG, DON'T PLAY THAT BECAUSE I HATE IT AFTER PLAYING IT FOR 2 YEARS" and then don't prove constructive options or better games you're just being an annoying asshole meddling where no one called him.

The options you mentioned WoW, Runescpe FFXIV are incredibly awful,

WoW needs you to buy the client, the expansions and a sub fee, and the game is a fricken mess, press 1 button to make everything explode until you get into raids, and then raids are nothing but weekly lockouts for stupid tokens

FFXIV, see wow, but add even less content, and raids being even simpler aimed for the cat waifu retarded audience, again requires the client, the expansion and a sub fee.

Runescape, oh boy might as well play a god damn zMUD, slowest mmo in the world, played by children and bots only, it looks like complete ass.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>322063735
What else did they do to Allods?
>>
>>322062746
Ultima online was pretty rpg. So was runescape.

But no one wants to make that kinda mmo now
>>
It's too late to join the MMO train. Genre is dead.
>>
>>322058106

is secret world fun? i was hype about it when it was being made b/c not medieval d&d trash setting, but then forgot it existed.
>>
>>322052467
Just play nostalrius so you can feel the vanilla experience
>>
for everyone saying MMO is dead, what's next? how do devs revitalize (or completely deconstruct and build an online experience from scratch)? does it rely on technology that doesn't exist yet?
>>
>>322065759
> I have probably 750 hours on the god damn game or more, I know what's going on.
Like that mean shit. I got over 1000 hours but you ganna pull the WAH VETERAN MAD card

>Still, random faggots who don't play mmos and don't care about all that "BETRAYED" bullshit you're talking about can enjoy ti and have fun for dozens of hours, for free even.
It's less to do with betrayal, even though there tons of that, and more to do with how they couldn't even run an expansion or any content without fucking it even more. It's better that these newbie play something else than a game that is run by a company full of incompetent bastards that can't even make their game right for 3 years and an expansion.

>If you know about mmos you already know how shit GW2 ends to be and to avoid it like the plague, to people that don't really dig into the genre it's a god damn robust game with a lot of content for free.
I expect a different game and even than I was disappointed how they manage to turn a decent game into shit with the living story update. Even for a free game, which is not since it plays out like a demo, this is like saying it's great to eat shit because it's free.

>Unless they go turbo neet like myself or you there's not problem with fooling around in it for 50-150 hours, they'll never deal with your frustration about living story, cash shop drama, SJW agenda or whatever it is that made you so salty.
Except this is shove right in front of your face with the whole sylvari bullshit or are we not playing the same game, shiller? Even the Living Story keeping pulling this shit in front of your face and this is what they think it's consider good story telling. You know that expansion? Yeah, there isn't much for the armor or weapon content but they sure as hell create more cashshop items, with more detail, in the very same week the expansion was release. This is just milking more money they can milk, shiller
>>
File: 0278 - yOrHKKS.png (8 KB, 261x359) Image search: [Google]
0278 - yOrHKKS.png
8 KB, 261x359
>>322053336
>tfw you still have no life and just want all the people back to play mmo's with

motherfuckers falling in love and having careers and shit fucking bullshit
>>
>>322065759
>>322067281
>When people as mmo reccomendations and you just jump into the subject saying......
Like it or not, this is how recommendation works. If someone provide a horrible service, you recommend others not to use that service because how poor their service are. You don't recommend someone a con artist to buy their snake oil or a horrible mechanic to fix their car.

>wow
And with many years of content it still does it better than what GW 2 has to offer, and if that doesn't attract you that much, then there is the nostalrius server and that is free.

>FFXIV
And it still offer more content than GW 2 and they took the time to fix all the shit up after they blew over the first time they release the game

>Runescape
>slowest mmo in the world
You never play Runescape and you never will.

Go back to your little guild wars 2 forum, GW 2 shiller.
>>
>>322067215
Internet framework is so archaic that it really won't allow great strides in gameplay mechanics that could push the genre forward. Thus it's completely stunted by bottlenecks it can't get around.

Something else will come in it's ashes, much how Assfaggots killed RTSs, something else will kill MMOs for good.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.