[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some more FPS games that are I guess sprite based, if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: doom-game-1_2757484k[1].jpg (99 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
doom-game-1_2757484k[1].jpg
99 KB, 858x536
I need some more FPS games that are I guess sprite based, if that's what this style is called? Shit like Doom 1/2, Duken Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, & Blood. You motherfuckers know what i mean. Any other good ones out there of these beautiful games?

And please don't recommend none of the early 3d polygonal doodoo like Half Life, Deus Ex, or System Shock 2. that ugly shit makes me puke.
>>
>>322015018
I've been playing brutal doom 1/2 a lot. retains the style but adds a lot of cuhrazy
>>
>>322015018
If anything 3D sprites make me puke. At least Half Life's dead bodies didn't rotate to face you, that shit was retarded as fuck
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCRdzFWUDNU
>>
Well, there's Hexen and those.

I think you are really better off modding DOOM and playing custom maps. Free too.
>>
Heretic
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w68d6HLTYw

powerslave is good
>>
>>322015310
Oh yeah ,forgot

Check this one out

http://store.steampowered.com/app/317040/

Probably the first FPS-RPG hybrid
>>
realms of the haunting is good as well, it may be weird or jarring in parts because the cutscenes are live action, but the whole game is the art style you're after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzT27LXpoyc
>>
>>322015252
Looks like the same engine as early Elder Scrolls
>>
File: the-more-you-know.jpg (76 KB, 1280x931) Image search: [Google]
the-more-you-know.jpg
76 KB, 1280x931
>>322015018
>what this style is called?
It's called 2.5D games, anon.
>>
The Marathon trilogy.
>>
Thanks, I'm seeing some real good shit that I'm for sure going to play here.

>>322015726
Is it really? I thought that was something like Street Fighter 4 with 3d models on 2d plane or something like that.
>>
>>322015929
I've seen it applied to basically any game that mixes 2D graphics with 3D gameplay or viceversa.

Kinda meaningless.

Its usually more common to have 3D graphical elements on 2D gameplay than the opposite though
>>
>>322015719
It's the Build engine, aka Duke.

>>322015929
They were called 2.5D in the past, at least, as they weren't "true 3D" (meaning polygonal) due to using sprite based enemies and weapons, but they had texture mapping and 3D movement and height differences (although this varied, since Doom couldn't have things stacked on top of one another and didn't have any jumping, for example).

But yeah, check out Raven Software and 3D Realms titles. LucasArts did a Western shooter in the Doom engine too, called Outlaws. Pretty good. Had animated cutscenes.
>>
Redneck Rampage
Wolfenstein 3D
Blake Stone
Strife
Rise of the Triad
Chex Quest
PO'ed
Descent
Hexen
Heretic
Powerslave
>>
>>322015929
No it's not, I've also seen the term 2.5D used to describe isometric 3D (diablo, etc.). I guess the term is appropriate to describe anything "that's not exactly 2D nor exactly 3D but you lack the prope name so 2.5D it is".
>>
>>322015606
>da da daa da da da daa da
Da fuckin music
>>
Heretic and Hexen (in that order)
Strife
Hacx
Chex's quest
Also check the Cacoawards winners, there's some good shit thrown in
http://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

Also Action Doom 2
http://action.mancubus.net/
It's a bit different, but good nonetheless
>>
Star Wars Dark Forces since it's star wars season.

Holds up really good
>>
File: olwin 2015-12-01 18-31-34-23.jpg (489 KB, 1440x754) Image search: [Google]
olwin 2015-12-01 18-31-34-23.jpg
489 KB, 1440x754
Star Wars Dark Forces
Outlaws
>>322016175
The term 2.5D when applied to games like Doom is in its true meaning, that is games running a 2D engine but rendering environments three dimensionally.
The use of 2.5D to describe games with polygons that have gameplay that develops in two dimensions is a misnomer, but it's pretty much of common use.
>>322016404
I've never heard Diablo defined as a 2.5D and it wouldn't make any sense since it has literally nothing three dimensional that could make it seem as in-between.
By that logic even XCOM should be a 2.5D.
>>
>>322016375
Also a lot of these early FPS games have fantastic expansion packs, for example Duke Caribbean.
>>
File: d64 e1m1 bulldemon mob.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
d64 e1m1 bulldemon mob.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>>322015018
Doom 64

>And please don't recommend none of the early 3d polygonal doodoo like Half Life, Deus Ex, or System Shock 2. that ugly shit makes me puke.
you're a dickhead
>>
doom is king
play valiant.wad
there are actually a literal shit tonne of terrible "doom clones" you can find on abandonware sites
some you probably haven't heard of but a worth playing
redneck rampage
capstone build stuff and corridor 7
dark forces
powerslave
legend of the seven paladins
>>322016375
>>322016736
descent is actually 3d only items are sprites but play it anyway because it's the shit
redneck rampage expansions are amazing too especially rides again
>>
>>322015252
oh by the way did you know the guy that owns that channel playing all the shitty old fps games is the creative director at running with scissors
>>
File: 1448271860636.png (3 MB, 1543x5500) Image search: [Google]
1448271860636.png
3 MB, 1543x5500
have yourself some fun with heretic, hexen and strife
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.