[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I buy it? I'm not sure if I'll like 4X games,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: endless.png (353 KB, 616x340) Image search: [Google]
endless.png
353 KB, 616x340
Should I buy it? I'm not sure if I'll like 4X games, as I've never played them. How do I find out?
>>
>>321976503
Pirate one and find out.
>>
>>321976503
>I'm not sure if I'll like 4X games, as I've never played them. How do I find out?
Pirate it, moron.
>>
Play any Civ game. This game is a mix between Civ IV and V mechanics with some high as shit fantasy thrown in.
If you like Civ you will like this. Age of Wonders 3 also complements this game nicely. Endless Legend has amazing everything except combat, which fucking sucks and Age of Wonders 3 has shitty everything except combat which is fucking great
>>
>>321976503
I don't particularly like 4x but EL has enough tactical rpg with well-written story for each faction in it for me to enjoy the game a lot. Also really nice visual style.
>>
>>321976503

Anyone got a good fix for that worldgen bug yet?

I want to give this a go but can't start a single game because of it.
>>
>>321977102
I do enjoy Civ, however I find it difficult to play for as long as the games normally take. Is this game as insanely long?
>>
>>321977102
Also
>high as shit fantasy
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>321977102
This is pretty spot on. Civ 5 is the best 4X for beginners and with BnW excels in everything but terribad AI. EL has AWESOME races/leaders with very different game styles, meh combat but great aesthetic and lore. AoW3 Has Amazing combat, Pretty average city building but nice exploration and GREAT soundtrack.

>>321977738
Like any 4X play it on quick speed, but yes most victory conditions on even quick will take a fair chunk of time.
>>
>>321977872
>>321977102
What's up with the combat? Is it not like Civ where it's automated?
>>
File: 1451242977846.jpg (50 KB, 540x631) Image search: [Google]
1451242977846.jpg
50 KB, 540x631
>>321977803
I guess high fantasy might not be the right word, what I mean is simply a fantasy world with fantasy elements that affect the gameplay. Each race or minor race is unique in both looks and mechanics and it throws in RPG elements like experience, equipment, skill trees among others.
It's Civ V meets an RPG in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>321978054
Yeah, and that's bad. You just watch your dudes hit the other dudes, completely automated. AoW 3 has a more tactical combat that really makes everything better.
Also, before you start your first game CHANGE THE COMBAT SPEED DURING THE SETTING UP PHASE REGULAR IS SLOW AS BALLS AND CAN'T BE CHANGED UNLESS YOUR START OVER
>>
>>321978201
>>321978054
That's a pretty bare-bones explanation, I'm gonna go deeper.

Civ 5 is all about your logistics, place units on the right tiles, right formations and generally spam ranged with a small meatshield of melee/can 2 win. Attacked moves all units per turn.

Now Endless Legend has a stat, attack speed that denotes what unit attacks when during a turn. Combat mad is based on the worldmap terrain for chokepoints ect and enlarged. So combat location/Unit stats/Army compo AND Unit positioning and unit item upgrades all matter. It can be overwhelming coming from Civ 5 - but MUCH better,

Age of wonders 3 Is even more crazy as fuck. preset maps based on combat location. Unit Variety is fucking mind boggling, Unit SKILLS is insane to consider - phasing units than can paralyze/fear ect. Shit gets crazy later on. Turns are one player at a time like CIv 5 with defender getting first move. Sieges and walls actually DO SHIT and make taking/keeping bases either Hard or fun as fuck. All 3 games have VERY different combat.
>>
>>321978201
Are you retarded? You have full control, with default action being "auto" instead of "skip turn"
>>
File: 1451408330622.jpg (56 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1451408330622.jpg
56 KB, 722x349
I pirated it early on and the combat pissed me off something fierce.
>>
>>321978771
Combat is Much better now. Pirate it again, with all the Expacs and see if you like it now.
>>
>>321978942
I'll go do that then
>>
>>321978942
If I bought the base game, would the expansions work if I pirate them?
>>
>>321980000
Not sure honestly. I Pirated all of them, and bought all later. Only one way to find out though eh.
>>
>>321980501
Is the full pack really worth 20 bucks? Maybe I should pirate it first to see if I'd like it
>>
I bought it with all the expansion and really had a good time, probably one of my best buy of the year.
Though I really like 4X
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.