[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix horror genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
How do we fix horror genre?
>>
>>321944550
One word: Immersion.
>>
>>321944956
That's two words
>>
>>321944550
put your mom in one
>>
File: chiraq.jpg (14 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
chiraq.jpg
14 KB, 500x283
Survival horror set in Chiraq

>But anon, what is that?
Chicago and throw Detroit in there as well.
>>
>>321944550
As soon as you decide who your audience is.

Too many people fine different things scary.

Half think one thing is bland, the other, too scary to play.

There are some great horror games but they're too scary for a lot of people to actually play.

Dead Space is my favorite horror game because it's just scary enough for you to be spooked, but you feel like you have a handle on yourself and what you're doing that you make it through, despite it being scary.

I've never played DS2 or 3. I keep hearing I should play 2 because of how much I loved 1. Oh well~ someday.
>>
>>321946538
You should play 2, its 3 you should skip unless you're bored one Sunday afternoon. They killed Dead Space with that.
>>
>>321946701
Nah
>>
>>321944550
Why are people posting this artist a bunch? Did she do anything?
>>
>>321948229
/v/ shitposting about a woman that does a cute webcomic because she's ugly.
>>
>>321946538
>Dead Space
>Scary
What are you? 10?
>>
>>321944550
>Classic Cinematic Camera
>Puzzles
>Files
>Gore
>Mistery plot

And add some killer robots and traps.
>>
>>321950178
This
>>
>>321944550
People tends to blame western, but the genre was already dead, Siren was the last lucid example, fatal lolitas desu frame sucks, also the evil within so japs fucked up things too a lot.
>>
>>321948624
She's not that ugly.
>>
>>321944550
You can't, because horror isn't a genre, or at least it's the only genre of video games defined by what you FEEL as opposed to what you DO.
The only thing that makes a game qualify as horror is presentation, which is entirely superficial and entirely subjective. When I play a horror game, I may or may not actually be scared. When I play a first-person shooter game, there will necessarily be shooting involved if I want to win.
Being scared is an emotion. It's not an action like firing a gun or driving a car are actions. There is no game mechanic shared by even half of all video games classified as horror. They have nothing of substance in common.
You could reskin Five Nights At Freddy's to lack any superficial "scary" imagery and it would stop being a horror game, even though the nuts and bolts of it would be functionally identical. Conversely, you could make a version of Tetris where the blocks are spooky skeletons and it would qualify as a horror game.
What do you DO in horror games that makes them a distinct and cohesive category, besides "be scared", which I already explained is not a game mechanic and only a matter of presentation? If you can change the graphics of a game and make it a different genre, that wasn't a real genre to begin with.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.