[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Smash 4's single player was so unbearably awful that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13
File: Subspace_Emissary_Logo.jpg (27 KB, 410x160) Image search: [Google]
Subspace_Emissary_Logo.jpg
27 KB, 410x160
>Smash 4's single player was so unbearably awful that it actually made me miss this shit

How?
>>
>>321915312
sad world we live in. Sm4sh shit all over anyone who wanted some kind of single player. Even "Classic" mode is anything but.
>>
>>321915312
The adventure mode wasn't THAT bad
>>
>>321916087
Comparitavely.
>>
>>321915312
Smash Tour had the potential to be a Mario Party clone but with Nintendo characters but noooooooooo it had to be a jumbled mess of randomness.
>>
>>321915312
I miss it so fucking much. I loved SSE. I don't give one iota of a flying fuck about the ''multiplayer'' in SSB, not then, not now, and not ever. I wanted a single-player crossover Nintendo experience, and the only fucking thing Nintendo's given me are SSE and that sticker star-tier Paper Jam.
>>
>single player
>smash

Retard
>>
With all the shit people have modded into Brawl, has anyone made any effort to change SSE? I wouldn't imagine it would take too much work to make it a much better experience.
>>
>>321917693
Project M was planning on reworking the whole thing I believe, or at least adding compatibility.
>>
>>321915312
Whoever thought having crowded 6+ player smashes as a "classic" mode was fun needs to get shot in the face. You can barely even see where you are.
>>
>>321916710
Does anyone even fucking play it? Smash Run with online would have been infinitely better
>>
>>321918202
8 player Smash is just fucking stupid. Maybe it's just that I don't have 8 friends who would want to play Smash Bros in the same place at the same time, but I just don't see how that wouldn't be a complete clusterfuck.
>>
>>321918662
Thing is that Sakurai and the whole smash team believe firmly that clusterfucks are the way smash should be and anyone who plays without items and 1 v 1 is a tourneyfag who shouldn't be listened to.

Smash 4 also has the worst stages in the series. I cry every time I see the Megaman stage and think how good of an stage it would be if it weren't for that fucking boss stuck in there.
>>
I really enjoyed SSE
>>
>>321918662
Sakurai thinks a clusterfuck is what everyone wants Smash to be. Just look at the new stages and items
>>
People like fanservice.
>>
>>321919023
>>321918856
>>321918662
I have played 8 player Smash on purpose exactly twice. It's such a fucking waste of space.
>>
>>321918662
Nah I fairly regularly have 5+ person smash get togethers and we still would rather rotate into 4 player matches than do 8 player smash. It's just not that good.
>>
>>321918662
You can't fully appreciate 8 player smash if you don't have 8 players.
>>
>>321919314
I will say though that I'm glad it exists for like gimmick matches when you want to shake things up after lots of real fighting. Things like everyone pick Dedede or everyone pick Falcon and only use Falcon Punch at 300% handicap, etc. When the actual goal is to have just a goofy clusterfuck then 8 player smash works well.
>>
>>321918856
It hurts me to think that they haven't implemented a toggle setting for stage hazards. If they can't be arsed to fix those NPC bosses to be less obnoxious, they sure should have done at least that.
>>
>>321919008
Me too but I hated how it unlocked all characters for you. It would've been much better if you couldn't progress though the story until you unlocked characters necessary. Honestly I know it's overdone but Melee handled all of this so much better. Unlocking characters through strict and often obscure means was an amazing single-player content. I remember shitting myself when I unlocked both Mewtwo and Game and Watch for the first time afte a month thinking I had all the characters.

>>321919269
I can't even imagine playing that with 8 people. How the hell do you get 8 controllers. I myself have 6 but that's because I still have my old GC controllers and the shit I had on the Wii. out of those 8 people at least 4 would be using controllers they don't like. All I can picture is a whinefest where everyone complains not knowing what the fuck is going on, specially if you add items to that.
>>
I think the worst part of Smash Tour is that it ends up as a timed stock match for the final battle instead of just a stock match.
>>
File: 1431788491338.png (57 KB, 210x200) Image search: [Google]
1431788491338.png
57 KB, 210x200
>tfw find someone right at your skill level on FG
>every match is close and stressful, you cover each other's options well
>you fight for 2 hrs straight
>>
>>321919637
Omega Mode also shows that either they don't even bother to look at the competitive scene or they can't be bothered to make more effort than "everything is Final Destination".

Wost is that probably they didn't even realized that having a continuous wall was a platform in some Omega Stages could affect some characters greatly.
>>
>>321919876
the worst part is that the stocks dont even fucking matter, the person who gets the most kills is who wins
>>
>>321919995
Isn't that how timed stock matches normally work? I never play them.
>>
Anyone think Smash Run is a missed opportunity? Being able to encounter other players in the map and stealing their stats would've been cool. Also every enemy is hell to fight.
>>
>>321919986
yeah im sure those dumbfucks had no idea and didnt do it for the sake of variety
>>
>>321919995
Usually the one with more characters wins since he has the chance to completely kill the last one standing.

>>321920121
Samurai wanted to remake City Trial from Air Ride way too much.

What fucking hurts me deeply is the loss of break the Target.
>>
Real classic when you're forced to do 8 player matches, what the fuck man.
>>
It's funny, most of the complaining over the game seems to be about the roster but honestly I think the roster is the best part of Smash 4. It's most of the other aspects of it that feels lacking or misguided.

Those new RNG fuck-fests of modes like Smash Run and Smash Tour, that butchered "classic" mode, the poor stage choices and designs, those overly wacky items that constantly interrupt the actual fighting... I think Smash is trying way too hard to be a crazy and utterly unpredictable party game.
>>
>>321920363
If two people have a similar amount of characters, you just end up praying you don't get ks'd by the other guy.
>>
>>321915312
Guess we don't appreciate something until we lose it / it gets replaced with something worse. Maybe Sakurai planned it that way.

SSE was flawed but i still enjoyed it somewhat.
>>
>>321921072
The idea was to give chance to those who got RNG'd out of having many characters. Smash tour wanted to be Mario Party way too much and fell flat on it's ass at that.
>>
>>321921289
I wish I could just have the option to turn off certain tour items and alter things (remove the timer) for the final battle.
>>
>>321921548
Nope, because Nintendo knows better how to have fun than you do :^)
>>
Smash Run was actually a pretty good mode. It's a shame it wasn't on the Wii U.
>>
File: Untitled.png (862 KB, 849x479) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
862 KB, 849x479
I want Melee Adventure Mode (where you play in a character's actual world) back but make it longer.
>>
>>321921289
imo it completely ruins the point of the whole character stock mechanic

they really ought to have made a mode where you could select characters for stocks
>>
>>321922115
>Longer
I think the lenght was just fine. If anything add Variety, like it changes depending on which characters you choose or have you choose different paths that lead to different bosses.
>>
>>321922115
just have a random set of worlds
>>
File: yoshi_woolly_world_jump.jpg (114 KB, 1200x666) Image search: [Google]
yoshi_woolly_world_jump.jpg
114 KB, 1200x666
Why don't you guys just play an actual good platformer instead? Smash isn't the only game that exists you know. Plenty of good single player platformers out there that are far better than any shitty fighting game campaign...
>>
>>321922115
>Melee Adventure Mode (where you play in a character's actual world for one stage)

Fixed it for you
>>
>>321920565
the funny thing is that all that bullshit just makes smash bros worse at the casual level
>>
>>321915312
Fuck you lonely faggots, SSE was god tier for co-op. I can't think of a better co-op game on Wii besides Ultimate Alliance.
>want to unlock all the characters without doing stupid challenges
>tfw playing on the highest difficulty with my brother because we weren't pussies
>tfw taking down fuckhuge bosses as a duo with a team of our mains
>tfw we unlock Sonic for the first time and my brother is absolutely godly with him and a perfect compliment to my main Fox
>tfw we both land the finial strike on Tabuu as Mario and Sonic
That was by far the best part of Brawl and the main reason why I didn't buy Smash 4. The PvP got old after a while so we switched back to Melee and all of the new items were garbage, especially Pit's wind thing.
>>
>>321923980
IIRC there was the underground labyrinth from Zelda, the F-zero track, and that vertical scroll level from Metroid.
>>
>newer smashes couldn't even be better than melee's adventure mode

How
>>
>>321924461
Because playing Smash Bros for single player is literally doing it wrong.
>>
>>321917915
The SSE was available and more or less functional with the release of 3.5, I believe.
>>
>classic is 8 player smash bollocks
>all star is a drag with roster bloat
>smash tour is disgusting
>cray order is bullshit, you either cheese it with customs or just get to round 8 because after that bob-ombs will spawn on your head
>events where done and dusted in like 2 days
>angry birds is angry birds

I only single player I like is Master Orders
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1000x1041) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1000x1041
Who the fuck thought stage bosses were a good idea?
>>
NO Smash player wanted a fucking Smash version of Mario Party. Absolutely no ONE wanted that. Not even the casuals at Gamexplain cared about it.
>>
>>321916710
Even if Smash Tour was playable throughout, the winner is determined by who knows how the fucktarded system works. It's built up like the final battle should be a stock match where you use all your characters but nope, it's a point match and having more characters makes you easier to KO so you're at the biggest advantage with only one or two characters and can win by getting a few KOs then laming out the rest of the match and suiciding.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (20 KB, 300x260) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
20 KB, 300x260
>>321915312
Did you honestly want another story mode written by this hack?
>>
>>321925710
I didn't mind the story too much. It was the gameplay inbetween that was boring as shit.
>>
>All the interesting characters are unlocked right at the start on WiiU
>All the interesting stages are unlocked right away, or re-released as DLC
>Neutered Classic Mode
>Neutered Break the Targets
>Neutered AllStar mode
>Neutered stage building
>missing Adventure mode
>Missing fun minigames
>Most of the new items are RNG garbage
>Most of the new stages are ridiculously gimmicky

I really don't understand Sakurai's reasoning. Who does this please? As someone who enjoys both the competitive and casual aspects of the series, the casual aspects that I love have almost all been removed in some way, shape or form. Even just looking at the stages, half of them are just platforms moving through a level, the other half are overly gimmicky with bosses flying in and disrupting everything.

I mean, the core game is still REALLY solid, but I can't help but feel disappointment every time I look at my options while playing the game.
>>
I wish Smash Run was just on the Wii U version but just a bigger version the the 3DS one. Smash Tour is so shallow.
>>
>>321925452
Metal Face is find as he fuckes off after about 20 seconds if you leave him be.

Ridley sucks as he takes forever to kill and flails around the stage randomly.

Yellow devil is the fucking worst. It would not be as bad if he did not shoe up every 30 seconds.
>>
>>321925452

It is a good idea. it adds an element of complexity to the battle where you have to temporarily team up with your opponents to take out the boss during the match. Don't try to pretend Smash 4 didn't have ANY good ideas. You can also turn off the stages that have bosses if you don't want them.
>>
>>321920363
>Usually the one with more characters wins
lol no

More characters makes you way easier to KO, so having less is a huge advantage. Say you have 2 and the other guy has 6, you can easily get 2 KOs per life so unless someone else hogs all the points you'll win easily.
>>
>>321926124
Wily Castle would be fun if yellow devil didn't shit it up every 20 seconds. They should of made him come after a min and then if killed won't come back for like 6.
>>
>>321926117
Bionis Leg is also a really big stage so it's easy to avoid Metal Face
>>
>>321926041
I want to know who was responsible for Pac-Land. That stage is literally "everything everyone has always unanimously hated about Smash stages ever: the stage"
>>
File: image.png (358 KB, 446x327) Image search: [Google]
image.png
358 KB, 446x327
>>321915312
Thanks doc.
>>
>>321925710
>implying it's his fault SSE was fucking garbage
Sakurai: Right. It wasn’t bad at all and had its own appeal, but it was a bit different than what I had envisioned it would be. It went something like this…"Some of the characters are on a bus on the way to the stadium. Samus is there. Donkey Kong is there and Snake is watching the bus from afar." It was like that. (laughs) I had envisioned a more serious tone for the story. Something with some misfortune like a single character escaping total annihilation of his squadron and then fighting back while rounding up his allies. Ultimately, we worked together and successfully organized our ideas into the storyline for The Subspace Emissary.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/3/1
>>
I think Equipment is the biggest waste of development time for Smash 4, it takes up a pretty significant portion of the game as a reward for playing modes but if they were taken out. They could have just moved all those skills to options in Special Smash, so you could have a setting where everyone could heal, automatically catch shit, and have no lag in their attack recoveries.
>>
File: 1448436354108.jpg (351 KB, 730x1094) Image search: [Google]
1448436354108.jpg
351 KB, 730x1094
>>321917915

>Project M was planning on reworking the whole thing I believe

And now they're dead.
Fuck
>>
>single player content is laughably sparse
>can't play online for fun because nearly all the new stages are abominations of gimmicks and bosses, new items are op as shit
>can't play for glory because FD skews matchups horribly giving projectile characters a huge advantage so you get people that camp retardedly hard
why do I even own this game still
bayonetta announcement got me hyped as fuck, so I popped it in and updated it and was reminded why I haven't played it in like 6 months
>>
>>321927080
I wish I could buy equipment and customs like I could with trophies.
>>
>>321927103
>tfw I bought all the DLC I missed out on and got bored in an hour

I feel pretty retarded
>>
>>321927612
I feel ya, I bought the Mario Kart dlc and I think I only did each cup once.
>>
>>321915312
>Smash 4's single player
Its what now?
>>
Its a multiplayer game.
Jesus fucking christ.
How many levels and characters would you remove for it?
Because we don't live in a universe where developers have infinite resources

What is wrong with games focusing on the good parts?
>>
>>321927103
>can't play for glory because FD skews matchups horribly giving projectile characters a huge advantage so you get people that camp retardedly hard

Last time I played Smash 4 2 out of every 3 fights in for Glory was just some guy spamming projectiles at the edge of the stage and then rolling to the opposite side whenever I got near.

lol
thank mr sakuroo
>>
>>321928338
>>321927103
I pull the plug on robs
idk how you could lose as this character on fd
>>
>>321928324

Yeah, the good parts.
Like online 4glor and dark Pit.
The good bits.
>>
>>321919536
This desu. When you want to fuck around at a party this mode can be great. Especially if your group of friends aren't the best and just play each other for fun.
>>
>>321915312
Because it was painfully repetitive and sakurai made a damn near impossible boss with damn near impossible challenges for how floaty the game is.
>>
File: afdgadfgadfvgadfa.jpg (63 KB, 936x525) Image search: [Google]
afdgadfgadfvgadfa.jpg
63 KB, 936x525
thank god its gone

last thing we need is more autistic parings that make no sense
>>
>>321924148
>SSE was god tier for co-op
You must have a seriously limited experience with co-op then. Even with a friend that shit got stale real quick.
>>
>>321928609
Are there any vids of competetive Brawl players fighting Tabuu?
>>
I wish Sakurai understood that more than just graphics and music, that console versions of games are traditionally supposed to be bigger, better versions of portable ports of games, not "they have to be relatively equal". That's not how it works. Console games are typically 20 dollars more in retail, so justify that expense beyond higher resolution graphics and a couple more songs. It's not like the Gameboy port of games like Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat held back the content of the SNES versions. What a fucking retard.
>>
>>321928495
You are beyond retarded.
Dark Pit likely didn't cost many development time and resources because he is just a clone.

there are not slots. He didn't replace a whole character. That is not how it works you idiot.

It would likely cost a lot more than just so you can have the shitty subspace emmissary again.

So lets pretend you are the game dev.
How many characters and levels do you remove and how much time do you want your programmers and artist and designers to waste on this solo mode everyone is going to hate anyway?
>>
>>321917915
>Project Meme
Glad it's dead now desu
>>
>>321924148
>SSE was god tier for co-op. I can't think of a better co-op game on Wii
It's not our fault you have incredibly shit taste and didn't bother playing anything else.
>>
>>321928416
>Main Fox
>Hold his Shine
>The R.O.B has to fight you up close since he can't spam projectiles
>Kill him since Fox is really good up close.
>Win
>>
>>321929031
Wario could've had 16 costumes
just sayin'
>>
>>321929345
unfortunately I don't main fox so I guess I'm fucked
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>321929348
>Little Mac gets the most costumes
>Wario, who had the most, gets half removed
>the majority of the characters don't have anything like Golf Mario or Fierce Deity Link
>they couldn't bother giving everyone 16 shitty recolors
>>
>>321923218
>KoF mode in Smash
No, anon, that'd be fun. We totally cannot have that.
>>
>>321915312
>couldve had an amazing story with a shitload of character reactions.
>instead sakurai scraps it because he doesnt like people spoiling it
>that thing that happens no matter what because the internet exists and people are jerks.
>>
HOW TO FIX EVERY SMASH4 STAGE EVER:

>Stage bosses are off if items are switched off

HOLY FUCK THANKS KOJIMA
>>
File: 1424993436527.jpg (18 KB, 176x255) Image search: [Google]
1424993436527.jpg
18 KB, 176x255
>People actually think Melee's adventure mode is better than Subspace Emissary
>>
>>321930594
Puissance Nintendo :What level of customization will be present in the game? In the past players had access to a great many options, notably regarding items. Are you going to implement new ones, such as being able to switch off damages caused by stage hazards?

Sakurai:You will still be able to control the apparition of items, but you won't be able to turn off stage hazards. If we did that, you'd find yourself with PSASB!
>>
>>321930739
>a mode with changed physics to incorporate a pointless sticker stat mechanic with generic, constantly recycled environments and scrapped Kingdom Hearts enemies despite a mountain of Nintendo series to pluck things from all blended into a piss poor attempt at telling a complicated story with zero dialogue (that wasn't even finished as they had to explain on the fucking website) that goes on for a couple of hours until you reach the half-assed new villain hiding behind a level that's literally the prior levels all over again
>better than a simple, quick romp through a few levels actually designed after Nintendo series that doesn't restrict who you can play as
Shut up, Anon.
>>
>>321930760

You would think that Sakurai would learn that actively trying to spite your players doesn't fucking work.
>>
>>321929686

>In Brawl, everyone had either 4, 5. or 6
>sole exception is wario, who had 12
>Smash 4 makes everyone have equal amounts of colors, bumps total to 8
>sole exception of Little Mac
>still gets mad and points to the outlier as the standard
>>
>missing brawl adventure
>not melee
>>
>>321915312
>playing a fighting game for single player mode
AHAHAHAHAHA, THEY WEREN'T KIDDING WHEN THEY SAID NINTENYEAROLDS DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS
>>
>>321918662
That mode is like a board game that you play once every several months then put in the closet and never touch again.
>>
>>321915312
SE was like a bad Kirby game copied and pasted into smash. Combined with the shit gameplay of Brawl, the mode had no chance of being good.

btw thanks doc.
>>
File: 1443615907176.png (469 KB, 499x485) Image search: [Google]
1443615907176.png
469 KB, 499x485
>>321931842
It's not that, but more that he tries way too fucking hard to only do things nobody would expect or ask for. Now we're at a point where everybody thought up good ideas that we want to see, but we can't have it now because "Smash has to surprise you with everything!"
>>
>>321915312
You guys forget how shit Subspace was. Events and grinding All-Star/Classic modes to complete challenges is still better than that horrible singleplayer mode.
>>
>>321915312
Smash 4 got All-Star right and that's about it. Wii U Classic is absolute shit.
>>
>>321932857
Even All Star could be improved by just giving you a random order of opponents and a wider variety of stages. It gets tedious doing the same order in the same stages all the time when trying to fill the trophy list.
>>
>>321925336
>angry birds is angry birds
... yes it is, Anon
>>
>>321919763
>How the hell do you get 8 controllers
Everyone brings a controller from home
>>
File: Smash bros 64.jpg (498 KB, 1600x1169) Image search: [Google]
Smash bros 64.jpg
498 KB, 1600x1169
New HAL smash WHEN
>>
>>321919763
>I can't even imagine playing that with 8 people. How the hell do you get 8 controllers.
by having friends?

Im pretty sure 8 players was designed for people who had more than 3 friends that wanted to play
>>
>>321932086
My Amiibo are my friends. I bet you don't even have one.
>>
>>321935156
when sakurai goes back to hal lmao
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.