[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>buyer's remorse Holy shit what a waste. How can you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 2
File: KotOR_Cover.png (662 KB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
KotOR_Cover.png
662 KB, 768x960
>buyer's remorse

Holy shit what a waste.
How can you all consider this a masterpiece, let alone a good game?
The story is extremely dragged out. To reach your goal you have to complete dozens of meaningless tasks. Take Bastila's rescue for example. So much shit to do to reach her that I even forgot what I did exactly. Taris was the most boringest piece of video game I had ever played.
10 hours in and ONLY NOW the main quest begins, I can't even imagine how pointlessly long this game will be with 4 main planets.
Also:
>miss miss miss
>>
>being a shitter

KotoR 1 is a great game and Bastila is an absolute qt
>>
I want to try KOTOR but the turn-based combat really puts me off
convince me that it doesn't ruin the game
>>
>>321913680

combat in this game is horrible
Can someone explain to me how a fucking JEDI can MISS bashing a fucking door?
>>
>>321913680
>>321913942

>millenials
>>
KotOR is literally the greatest game of all time. This thread is shameful and you should be embarrassed.
>>
>>321914462
>old people
>>
>>321912593
>How can you all consider this a masterpiece, let alone a good game?

By not being a millenial neo/v/ dickfaggot

Seriously, get some taste OP or go back to your brown generic fps
>>
>>321913680

It doesn't. You never feel it's turn based

>>321913942

Because it uses a Dice system like a Rol Game you idiot. The game rolls a dice for each action you want to do, if you get a shitty roll then you fail. If you get a 20 you get a crit. Your main stats only add a bonus to each roll.

For example, to hit an enemy with a melee attack you have to roll a 20 sides dice and add to the result your Strenght bonus (say you have a +3 bonus)

To hit an enemy with defense 15 you need at least a 12 because 12+3 (bonus) is a 15 and you hit. The damage dealt is counted adding your bonus strenght to the dices of that weapon (some weapons use 8 side dices, others only 4)

Same with the fucking door. Maybe you need a fucking 5 to hit the door. If you roll a 0, even with your bonus strenght you are going to fucking fail.
>>
>>321912593
yeah i dont know why it isnt a just a 60$ hour and a half cutscene like a REAL game

fucking nostalgiafags
>>
>>321914680
how is RNG-based combat good again?
>>
>>321914485
Yeah these faggots need to get back to blowing reddits dick
>>
this game is great, only problem I can take issue with is some of the dialogue.

I want to be roleplay as a sith who realizes that sometimes you gotta kill people to bring order. Not necessarily too evil but, along the lines of sacrifices for the greater good.

The sith dialogue is so edgy, and it makes me not want to choose the sith.
>>
>>321914874

It's an RPG. If you want an action game you have plenty of them.
>>
>>321913942
What the fuck kind of shit character did you roll, anon? We'll tell you what you did wrong based off your stats.
>>
>listening to nostalgia fags

I've been told that this game had an amazing story. After beating the game, I still couldn't find anything that even remotely resembled a good story
>>
KOTOR 1 & 2 ar both $3 on steam right now. Should I get both of them or just one?
>>
>>321916008

Better invest in Jedi Knight series
>>
>>321916008
Both. But the best star wars games are Rogue Squadron and Jedi Knight games.
>>
File: 2015-12-27_00003.jpg (101 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-27_00003.jpg
101 KB, 1360x768
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. There's dozens of warning signs on the first planet that the dialog and roleplaying elements are shit.
>>
>>321912998
>Bastila
>qt
Pick one.
>>
>>321916978
Mission Vao is the qtest
>>
>>321914462
Holy shit, fuck you. It's not a Millennial issue. It's generation Z. Millennials grew up with this combat system.
>>
>>321917134
KOTOR1 has no qts, KOTOR2 has Visas
>>
>>321912593
>Buyer's Remorse
>Over 3 fucking dollars

Sure Op, sure
>>
>>321915295
Yeah kotor 1 really suffers from "stupid evil" but the last planet before the starforge is all worth it on the dark side. I don't think I've ever felt such giddy sadism in any game or ever really.
>>
>>321912593
>Taris was the most boringest piece of video game I had ever played
>10 hours in and ONLY NOW
>10 hours in
>10 hours

If Taris took you 10 fucking hours OP, nobody should take anything you say seriously.
>>
can someone explain me some bullshit
So i went full strength jedi guardian and i can't hit for shit, bastilla has shittons of dexterity and she always hits and is stronger than me
Is dexterity the main stat for lightsabers or something?
Also the duels between meele users look fucking rad
>>
>>321918728
Post images and I might be able to tell you what's wrong.
>>
>>321918728
what lightsaber type are you using? single? dual wield? edgelord?
>>
>>321918879
Can't really load the game up right now senpai
>>321918960
single with dualist, bastilla has edgelord
>>
>>321918564

Took me 10 hours to get through Taris and Dantooine.
The only interesting part so far was solving the murder.
>>
>>321912593

>complaining about taking 10 hours to get to the main content

nigga thats a fucking bonus, long rpgs best rpgs
>>
i just got to the underwater part on the water planet, should i bother finding more of those underwater suits or can i do it alone? Also for some reason my dexterity is literally shit, some kind of debuff and i have no idea how to heal it
>>
>>321918728
Probably just bad luck, but the two handed fighting styles blow the fuck out of single weapon use.
>>
>>321919087
hmm, max dueling and lightsaber weapon focus should definitely have you covered on hitrates. you should check your attack bonus whenever you get the chance to boot up the game again.

Is this with regular attacks or power attack/flurry? those fuck up your hit chance.

If all else fails your best bet is to hit up the workbench and get some attack bonus crystals in that bitch

The lightsaber uses either stat by the way. Whichever is highest between strength and dex is what will be used for your hit rate. So Bastila might just have more dex than you have strength. Remember that the stats work in tiers, so the actual number doesnt mean shit if you dont hit the next tier of modifier bonus
>>
>>321919617
im pretty sure you have to go alone and if not, yeah don't bother getting more than one. No clue about your dex though
>>
Elite dangerous was pretty grindy.
>>
>>321919669
they probably do, but i'm too far right now to change my specs
>>321919708
with any attacks, also that reminds me of another thing that has been bothering me.
When do i use power attacks, and when flurry? I've noticed that they do pretty much the same damage
>>
>>321919948
if you don't like gaem I like, you reddit >:(
>>
>>321913942
DSP is that you? Perhaps consider when the game says "miss" it doesn't mean you missed the door, rather you missed the components inside the door that would allow you to unlock it.

In other words take half a second to think about things and quite being so literal.
>>
>>321913942
If you're using two weapons and dont have the dual weapons perk that could be a reason
>>
>>321920267
That's stupid and not how it works.
>>
>>321912593
I was literally 9 when i beat this game. stop being such a fucking idiot
>>
>>321920043 >>321920000
> being triggered over video games
:)
>>
>>321919617
Maybe your armor or item you have equipped
>>
>>321915295
I always played as a Jedi until Malak gives his revelations
>>
>>321920456

>>321919948
>not triggered
>>
>>321915375
He asked for an explanation on how it's good, not some dumbshit "hurr that's the way it always is!" response
>>
>>321918728
Double-Bladed sabers hit for more damage.
>>
>>321920514
tried taking off everything i have, using antidotes and force heals to no avail
>>
>>321920550

>>321920043
>not being a triggered nigger
;)
>>
>>321920575
but that's crpg fans for you
they're all autistic as fuck
>>
So if want to build a good melee character do i have to go dual wield or double lightsaber? I fucking hate how those look i'd rather have a classy normal lightsaber.
>>
>>321920371
Really? It makes more sense that you would swing a sword at a door and completely miss?
>>
>>321920030
normally you'd just pick one or the other and max it out and just use that all game. Flurry is really good if you never miss and power attack is better otherwise. Flurry does huge damage but it's spread out over multiple swings, especially if dual wielding. If you miss a couple of em then you basically just took a huge defense and hit penalty just to do a regular attack. Power strike just blows shit up directly. Also IIRC it's a multiplier so having a high base power meapon makes it go nuts. Crit strike build is also very viable with the proper crystals, even for a guardian
>>
Also last question, dexterity is overall better for a jedi in robes because you get to dodge shit better, right?
>>
>>321912593
>Sucking at KoToR.
Your pleb is showing.
>>
>>321918728

You get a penalty for dual wielding if not improving your hability to do it.

Strenght is the main status that decides if a melee attack hits or not, if bastila is hitting more than you is because she has the skill to use Dex instead of Str for hitting.
>>
>>321914874
it's far from random, it's a precise and clearly defined system with variables you can directly influence using given mechanics in a variety of ways and alternative solutions. Might as well say fps games are random because you're trying to balance the game against the completely unpredictable variable of player skill and aiming
>>
>>321914462
I'm willing to bet you're a millenial because you don't know what that means
>>
>>321921489
A die roll is fucking random no matter how many points you stack on top of it. It's the classic example of randomness.
>>
>>321921058
You don't completely miss, your attack fails to connect. It's a subtle, but significant difference. Hitting internal components would be a crit.
>>
>>321914462
It's not a millennial thing you fucking faggot. Only morons with zero hand-eye co-ordination like turned based over real-time.

Turn-based combat has always been and always will be shit. The only game that ever got it right was Chrono Trigger.

>>321913680
And to answer your question, yes. It completely ruins the game.

Killing somone with a lightsaber should NEVER be this unsatisfying. The combat is so awful it's almost funny. With easy blaster shots a toddler could make missing by multiple feet.
But it isn't funny because it ruins what could've been a masterpiece if they weren't so fucking lazy with the combat design.

The only people who praise this garbage are a very vocal minority. You have to be a die hard Star Wars fan to enjoy it at all. Or like turned-based trash.

The only remote joy I could get out of it was role playing a Jedi in Dialouge sections.
>>
>>321921731
Nearly every single player game in the world uses RNG in that case. There's nothing wrong with it as long as the player still holds influence on the outcome and can manipulate the rolls. You're not just afk'ing in combat with your fucking fingers crossed.
>>
>>321920575

It's good for an RPG.
>>
>>321921058
It's D&D rules dweeb. You're not missing, you're just not hitting it right/hard enough. You are not rolling accuracy or against evasion. You are rolling against their armor class. Dodging would be reflex saves and are a completely different thing
>>
>>321921892
That seems like semantics to me, but whatever as long as you aren't one of those fags complaining about
>MISS MISS MISS
>>
>>321922262
Going by that logic, why can't you just take 10 for your roll against door? Are there many situations where you're hitting door while under duress?
>>
>>321922003
Turned based brings it own depth and strategy to the game. Did you even try thinking about how this would work as an action-rpg. All non jedi party members would be even more worthless than they already feel. You would never be able to justify doing anything but just rolling in deep with 3 niggas dual wielding for maximum saberness and just doing sick nasty combos cutting everything in the game to shreds and deflecting all incoming aattacks. Most of the powers wouldnt matter because you have your action lightsaber instantly killing everything and cutting through all obstacles in front of you. The only thing that would ever hold you back is role playing as a light side character but roleplaying is for fags and besides this isnt even an rpg anymore that shit is for nerds. Just go the mass effect route and color code a bunch of one to two word options so i can just mash through all the boring talky bits making sure i get my cool edgy looking character all the badass scars on his face and go back to slaughter
>>
>>321922783
Agreed. It also doesn't make much sense when applied to lightsabers as per the example since they're supposed to just melt through anything like a hot knife through butter but that's just a symptom of balance. It's tough making a Jedi rpg especially if you're mingling with the common folk in your party as mentioned by >>321922785
>>
>I'm Not Instantly In A Michael Bay Movie So It Sucks Balls: The Game

Damn kids.
>>
>>321922262
Thats what I was originally saying, its not that you actually missed you just didn't hit it in an effective manner. Thats what the game means when it says missed.
>>
>>321922987
By the time you get a lightsaber, it's impossible to miss doors/chests unless you intentionally gimp your character.
>>
>>321923078
Oh I didn't notice I replied to the wrong post there. Sorry pal
>>
>>321922084
>Nearly every single player game in the world uses RNG in that case.
This is both false and insanely reductionist. There's a large difference between having an enemy that behaves predictably yet somewhat randomly, and the player having their own internal mechanics behaving differently based on randomness. To compare directly, it would be a situation where your jump is at a somewhat random height in a platformer - obviously, this is broken as fuck and doesn't work in the context of an action game. It's reasonably functional in an RPG, but that doesn't make it any less of a lazy method to add risk to your combat, especially when plenty of games with RPG elements do it just because.

>>321922145
>>321922262
I would not want to use a derivative of D&D for combat in a single-player video game. In actual tabletop games, DMs are always able to dynamically adjust what's going on based on what the players are doing (even if they have a set plan), and complete garbage rolls can be enjoyable by description and player reaction, not to mention the fact that the roleplaying environment allows people to have far more creativity, meaning it makes a bit more sense when shit doesn't go right. In mundane situations, DMs can allows their players to take 20, to do something for free because it's not under a stressful circumstance they don't want to have the campaign slow down because some poor fucker rolled a 1 on "jump the one-foot gap with my spring boots" or some shit. When it's something you're going to eventually get anyway, it's better to just give the player a mulligan.
>>
>>321922785
question:
have you ever seen a star wars movie?
>>
>Playing KOTOR2 for 1st time
>Kreia just told me to go to Dantooine and meet with the other jedis at the enclave

fuck fuck fuck fuck people told me this is where I will know If I did things good or wrong. I'm nervous as fuck.
>>
>>321924734
You probably fucked up.
>>
>>321924114
Yes and there's always super convenient plot bullshit or just posturing about not giving in to anger and the jedi way and crap. In an rpg where you are fully free to fucking butcher everything and mechanically at least exploit the system by killing everything convenient and then handing 5 credits to some street urchin on the corner to balance it out, the only thing holding you back from your ez mode rampage, due to lack of a script, is your roleplaying of your character, which most people don't even bother doing. They just go with what is most advantageous. Which will be going on a killing massacre with your fully functional lightsaber that is also a multitool because why not just carve through shit all day.

The main characters in the movies also don't do half the shit that is known to be possible for jedi just because. Would your question be relevant if they actually went around mind tricking motherfuckers non stop to get their way and just clearing entire platoons with a single saber toss in 1 second like they should? There would be very little room to justify any sort of non-combat non-dark side playthrough in a full on action based system unless they severely crapped on the actual capabilities of jedi. If you think stats and dice rolls make the lightsaber look goofy and unsatisfying just imagine having to carve up sith lieutenants with no armor and those little hats with some savage air combo you mash for 30 minutes because they had to balance lightsabers
>>
>>321912593
I hate this generation
>>
>>321920516
do you end up as dark side on the karma meter by the end of the game?
>>
>>321920043
What makes you reddit is the lack of objectivity.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.