[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /v/, now that I'm older (27), I'm turning into a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 15
File: latest[1].png (1 MB, 1000x881) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1 MB, 1000x881
So /v/, now that I'm older (27), I'm turning into a bit of a casual. I played Madden the other day and it was fun, I don't play many "hardcore games" (either difficult or take many hours) such as the Witcher, Wonderful 101, Dark Souls, etc. but Dragon's Dogma for PC interests me. I like Skyrim, though I wish the combat had more complexity to it. Is Dragons Dogma just a more hardcore skyrim?

I know this board is usually a cesspool when it comes to talking about opinions and styles that differ from the typical /v/ person, but does it sound like Dragons Dogma would be a fit for me? I really like how the combat involves mounting giant beasts, rather than circle strafing or spamming mouse clicks without any thought. I know it's been casualized a bit from being a console port (fast travel is easier or something now right?), and I still enjoy non-casual games (just beat the Turok port). So I dunno, should I buy it?
>>
You're a faggot and you were never hardcore
>>
File: dogma.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
dogma.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>321833446
>"hardcore games" such as the Witcher
Dragon's Dogma is too much for you.
>>
Fellow oldfag here. Sounds like you would enjoy it. I think there's a sale on gmg right now for preorder
>>
File: 1439207530875.jpg (20 KB, 257x244) Image search: [Google]
1439207530875.jpg
20 KB, 257x244
>>321833446
>"hardcore games" such as the Witcher
>>
File: 1441022446543.png (51 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1441022446543.png
51 KB, 512x512
>>321833446
Why do people compare this to skyrim?
>>
>>321833446
Dark Souls is hardcore for people who've never played a videogame before
>>
>>321833446
Lurk moar faggot. Google gameplay videos and get informed and decide for yourself. I don't know you I can't decide something like that for you. Only you can.
>>
>>321833832
Don't you know that Skyrim invented dragons?
>>
>>321833446
>So /v/, now that I'm older (27),
stopped reading when you posted some irrelevant bullshit about your personal life on an anonymous video game board.
>>
File: 1445644558873.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445644558873.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>321833446
>>
>>321833446
>So /v/, now that I'm older (27), I'm turning into a bit of a casual
How the fuck those that happen. The older people get the more hardcore and bitter they get. Fucking pleb, you ain't gonna make it, senpai.
>>
>>321833813
>>321833712
Witcher isn't hardcore difficult, I specifically said games that take many hours. The Witcher (and 2, and 3, mostly 3) take fucking forever to complete. My bad for expecting a bunch of college dropout NEETs to be able to read.
>>
>implying Madden isn't GOAT
>>
>>321834054
16 is legit senpai.

>>321834005
Because we have jobs, friends, and income to spend on going out and doing shit.
>>
File: baito.jpg (92 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
baito.jpg
92 KB, 625x626
>>321833446
>>
>>321833931
Fucking this.
>>
>>321833446
First thing you need to do is not identify shit as casual or hardcore it makes you sound like a faggot. Next thing you need to do is look at the gameplay and see if you like it which from your post it seems like you do. Does it look like something fun you can play? Go ahead and get it. If it's not "casual" enough for you just go on easy mode.
>>
>>321833446
>Hardcore games such as spin to win
>>
>>321833832
they're both hack and slashy as fuck, despite DD having much better RPG elements
>>
>>321834343
I need to speak in terms /v/ understands. I should have also used the word "faggot" and "cuck" a bunch in my post.
>>
File: 1342995822186.png (727 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1342995822186.png
727 KB, 800x800
die of aids you stupid faggot, you belong on reddit, not here
>>
>>321834176
I have a job, go to the gym and have friends. You are doing something wrong, yes time is an issue sometimes but that just means I get to filter out shit games. The games I do play are of quality. It also has made me realize bad practices that game's developer implement to artificially lengthen their games, aka farming in RPGs, retarded artificial difficulty like inflating enemies health = bullet sponges. etc. You should be happy and aware that time has taught you these things. But I guess not, you just a pleb.
>>
>>321834343
To add on to this if you don't like it you can refund it.
>>321834454
It doesn't help that your post reeks of newfag.
>>
>>321834454
>I need to speak in terms /v/ understands
literally proving you are a redditor and not from here

fuck off
>>
>>321834343
>First thing you need to do is not identify shit as casual or hardcore it makes you sound like a faggot.
Casual pleb detected. Consider suicide.
>>
>>321834634
>op trying to turn his faggy thread around

rofl my dendi here is a (You) for you
>>
>>321834497
I mean, define a "hardcore game." All I've played recently was Turok, Halo Guardians (which started out fun as fuck and turned into the most boring slog), Vermintide, as well as various sports games. Nothing else has interested me. The games I'm looking forward to are Dragons Dogma, Overwatch, and Mankind Divided.
>>
>>321834634
I meant HE shouldn't separate what he plays into categories like that and instead should think of things that he likes to play and interest him. A game being casual/hardcore should not be a deciding factor when deciding to buy a game. I thought you got games to have fun anon not to show your hardcore I beat dark souls status to your friends. But what do I know I'm just a faggot.
>>
>>321834634
Not OP

Also question for everyone. I'm not new, I was on /b/ and /v/ when 18-1 happened and /sp/ was created. But even if I was new, who fucking cares? Do you not want additional people on the board? Do you just want this board to constantly lose people and whither away and die? You guys are like the morons that want their multiplayer games to have 130 people on at peak hours, so you can be in your own little stupid club. Christ, I new this thread was a mistake.
>>
>>321835124
New people are fine just lurk and learn board culture before posting.
>>
>>321834857
Ultima series
Ninja Gaiden 1/2
Devil May Cry 3

Just to name a few.

>>321835082
http://www.learntocounter.com/i-play-for-fun-the-four-dumbest-words-in-video-games/

Get BTFO

>>321835124
Consider suicide.
>>
>>321835082
OP here. I can agree with this. And thats what I meant by "hardcore games." Games that are meant to show off, are needlessly long or difficult (as you brought up about artificial length or difficulty), etc. I was basically trying to ask does Dragons Dogma fall into this category, though I clearly didn't word the OP well enough to convey that message. Either way, you've convinced me to buy it, plus the guy who mentioned the refunds. I always forget about the refunds, though I've done 2 recently so I might be doing it too frequently.
>>
>>321835354
You forgot to call me a cuck and say kek fgt senpai desu.
>>
>>321835354
>http://www.learntocounter.com/i-play-for-fun-the-four-dumbest-words-in-video-games/

So we play games to have fun? My point still stands Idk what you're getting at. That article doesn't relate at all to what I'm saying. All I'm saying is it doesn't matter if a game is hardcore or casual as long as you can have fun playing it. Whether or not that means you take the game seriously and soak a lotta time into it or you just play it once every blue moon while you're drunk. I never said that you can't have fun taking a game seriously.
>>
>>321833616
>>321833712
>>321833813
>>321833931
>didn't fucking read before knee jerk memery
>>
>>321835914
Fair enough. Elaborate better next time. And I disagree with
> HE shouldn't separate what he plays into categories
He obviously cares about time, that means that core games takes time to learn and master, especially when it's an online game where he can fuck other teammates without any game knowledge. So it's better to say he likes casual games where he can have mindless fun just doing his shit. Categorization isn't bad. It has existed since the beginning for a reason. It's just that compared to others, it has a negative co notations because it might make you look bad or not at the same level at those who you praise or would like to be.

He should just admit he's a pleb and want pleb mindless games, nothing wrong with that. But also remember the type of community where you are posting.
>>
>>321835468
There's no needless grinding in Dragon's Dogma. You can pretty much take the game at your own pace if you don't suck. Either way it's fun to just explore and kill shit so you might accidentally grind a bit doing that, but I don't believe you need to grind at all especially if you're good enough at the combat. There's no real artificial game lengthening except if you want to grind for end game gear.
>>
>>321836396
OP here, incorrect. I don't want candy crush bullshit. I still want real video games. I don't want 500 hour time sinks from Japan, or games where a shitton of bullshit happens, and it's called "difficulty." Example of what I like; Turok was a ton of fun. I don't know where that falls on the difficulty spectrum.
>>
>>321836430
I love games that have exploring that is entirely left up to the player. Thats what I wanted to confirm, is the "open world" optional or grindy. And I like that it is go at your own pace.
>>
>>321836748
So you just wanted to know if the game had a lot of grinding/artificial difficulty? Why didn't you just say that that's not what hardcore means at all.
>>
>>321836926
Well it's not just that. Wonderful 101 doesn't really have either of those, but I would still call it hardcore. Same with Xenoblade (I think). This thread has shown everyone has a different definition of hardcore. I define hardcore as something difficult (through either actual or bullshit difficulty, or the amount of time it takes to play), which typically has a niche community due to its difficulty to get into.
>>
>>321836748
You just said you were turning into a casual you dumb fucking pleb. What do you expect people are going to recommend?

Anyways, Clive Barker's Undying is really underrated and a good game. Doesn't waste time, good story and the shooting mechanics are fun. So check that out.

Also check out Valdys Story, put it on pleb difficulty and enjoy that.

Bastion.

>>321837161
Shut the fuck up and try those games, faggot.
>>
>>321837312
I tried the 101 demo. Didn't like it kek lel cuck xDD
>>
>>321837161
I agree with you on that. W101 can be hardcore, but it can also be pretty casual if you play on very easy and shit. For me I think some games it's the players that make it hardcore. Devil May Cry is a good example of that. Casuals can go through the game no sweat, but to actually master the combat takes a hardcore players. But yeah you're right it really depends on the game/person.
>>
>>321834005
>>321834176
I'm an older man and I feel like I'm more hardcore on a skillbased level. I just refuse to play low skill ceiling and time consuming games like 95% of the RPG genre and I'm more attracted to quick round arcadey games like Fighting or objective based shooters. My reactions and rhythm are on a HUGE decline, but I make up for it with proper positioning and prediction to the point I'm considered a wall hacker. Really my reactions are terrible and 17 year old kiddies should feel bad if they lose to me in a head to head firefight.
>>
>>321837627
But anon, nobody plays very easy, that's just a joke mode that doesn't actually do anything.
Right?
>>
>>321838559
Good job brah. And yes, 95% of RPGs have garbage time consuming features that artificially lengthens the game. I can pick apart most of them. Remember though that gaming is relatively new and better systems are still to be implemented. One of the biggest flaw we are lacking right now is AI improvement.

My reflex hasn't waned, it feels like I've actually gotten faster over time even though it's hard to believe, and I'm in my mid 20s. However, you are right that position and map knowledge will defeat reflex. I've gotten my ass handed over to me by knowledgefags plenty of times.

I also know fags who use controllers on PC that dominate mousefags in some games of course. Only because of knowledge.
>>
I am 30 and I have never been good at games at any point in my life, I only play them for fun. I thought the Dark Souls games were some of the worst I have ever played in terms of enemies zip-zapping around and 99% of the game being about memorizing which way to dodge for 40 minutes until you've ever defeated the enemy or you've died from being one-shotted.

Is Dragon's Dogma any different?
>>
>>321834005
When you are a wageslave and have responsibilities you can't spend all day playing shit or sink a couple hundred hours into a game like when you lived off your parents/tuition money. Gets even worse if you have kids.

I never was a hardcore gamer, but I'm playing a lot of game on easy anymore just so I know that I will complete them.
>>
>>321838954
No it exists for little kids. I'm sure my little brother could beat it pretty easily at very easy. In fact I should let him play it just to see.
>>
>>321839419
It's nothing link Souls.

You're a dork though.
>>
>>321840293
Then what IS it like?
>>
>>321839764
Again, it all comes down to time and how much you want to dedicated to your hobby. I know guys that spend thousands modifying their cars and others who have hobbies are go up well into over 20K. I can understand if you have kids and responsibilities, but honestly, you should consider doing something else at that point.

I mean, if you handled your money correct, don't overspend like a retard and not get in debt, you can still do it. I know a friend in his 30s, has a house with a daughter and always PC games and always has the latest hardware. Average fit and healthy, probably an exception though. He has been gaming all his life so he already knows the workaround and cliches of gaming.
>>
>>321840446
Frankly, it's like nothing else. It's not difficult though.
>>
>>321840681
Monster hunter with dragons.
>>
>>321840914
No.
>>
Watch some gameplay, see if it interests you, don't be afraid to try new things.
>>
File: happy hands.gif (2 KB, 158x166) Image search: [Google]
happy hands.gif
2 KB, 158x166
>>321841361
>don't be afraid to waste money by getting a non-refundable game via GMG eeheherh
>>
File: 1446089699831.jpg (10 KB, 325x182) Image search: [Google]
1446089699831.jpg
10 KB, 325x182
Fresh into 30 years here, and I've noticed my reaction times are slipping a bit, and I'm starting to get shit at games I used to be good at.

I tried playing Airmech and I just couldn't handle it, shit was too fast paced.

Still very much looking forward to Dragon's Dogma again, probably going to take a couple of vacation days so I can actually invest some time into it.
>>
>>321842012
If there's no roleplaying or proper story to it, why give a shit? Like with all JRPG's you just play until you reach a save, then continue some other time.
>>
>>321841627
Who are you quoting?

Steam has a refund policy.

Fuck off retard
>>
File: jOniFMJ.gif (961 KB, 245x213) Image search: [Google]
jOniFMJ.gif
961 KB, 245x213
>>321842614

>refunding steam keys from GMG
>>
>>321840648
If you use gaming as a dedicated hobby sure. Nowadays I use it to relax and unwind from a shitty day dealing with customers. Think my point was more that your priorities usually shift as you get older than that it isn't physically possible.

Time not money is the issue for anyone with half a brain. I'd honestly be curious how your friend is doing with his spouse and daughter if he is spending that much time gaming. I know some people can pull it off, but a lot of them just ignore their family to do what they want.
>>
>>321842614
>merely pretending
>>
>>321843467
He takes care of his family and spends time with this daughter. He doesn't have nor spend time on anything else really.

I have another one like that in Canada. Basically he fucked around in his 20s, drugs, fucked a lot of women, etc. Now in his 30s he is just enjoying gaming and spends all day inside.
>>
>>321843990
See that I can respect on both accounts. I've encountered a bunch of people on the other end of the spectrum sadly.

Dunno, I'll prob snag this when it goes on sale during the summer or off g2a in a few months. I've got plenty to play from this winter sale for awhile.
>>
>>321843002
where in my post did I say anything about gmg

fuck off retard
>>
>>
>>321834005
idk man, I'm 22 and I already feel the way OP does. I spent a few years away from gaming, and coming back to it in the past few months, I'm just no gud anymore, and I don't have time to git gud like when I was in high school. So now I tend to go for simpler games, and prefer singleplayer games where I can go at my own pace.
>>
>>321848829
All single player games can be set to go on your own pace. In fact, most difficult games can be finish, all you need is time, you just might not be interested in games anymore as you used to. Or maybe you are suffering what most people are suffering when they grow up, is that the flaws of gaming can be easily seen and that most games are made for children/games are infantilized today and can't hold your attention.

I seriously don't know why you guys aren't good anymore, it's been proven that age doesn't deteriorate skill/reflex nor knowing how to think/problem solve.
>>
I just preorded on GMG, where do I access the artbook and soundtrack?
>>
>tfw you were cleaning up and found the guide for DD you totally forgot you had
>>
>>321849195
Jan 15th
>>
>>321849120
>all you need is time
that's the problem, I don't have as much time as I used to. I have something like 5-8 hours a week I can dedicate to gaming, and I'd rather not spend it "practicing", I'd rather just play a game where I can jump in and progress at a decent pace.
>>
>>321849878
So will they get automatically addeed to my steam library then?
>>
File: 1451178231800.jpg (155 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1451178231800.jpg
155 KB, 480x640
>2 weeks, 3 days and 12 hours until release
>>
>>321850023
Can't come sooner.
Got so many other games I can play but right now I just want DD
>>
File: at first I- I- OH GOD.jpg (156 KB, 634x922) Image search: [Google]
at first I- I- OH GOD.jpg
156 KB, 634x922
>>321850023
>>
>>321850003
Mhmm
>>
>>321845859
The post you replied to clearly did.
You are one humongous retarded piece of shit.
>>
>>321835124
/v/ is way too big already and filled with horrible people.
>>
>>321837161
The first Xenoblade was easy as fuck and a faceroll most of the time.
>>
>>321833446
You know I thought I was turning casual once. Then I played some really good challenging games that didn't just use HP/Damage/Defense sliders and had a blast.

I think modern games are just more lazily designed the more difficult they are because no one wants to give devs the time to actually balance things out for each individual difficulty. Its better to play difficult games nowadays that are "built" for the difficulty from the get-go like Souls/BB.
>>
>"How the fuck was I supposed to know you had to save Quina as soon as possible? I wanted to go on an adventure first."
>"Why can't I swim?"
>"Why is it so dark, is the game glitched?"
>"Wow all NPCs are useless"
>"Hey guys I thought you said mages were fun!?"
>"I was just exploring some area and a Dragon came from nowhere and attacked me, artificial difficulty!"
>"I'm in prison and cant do anything, HELP"

Are you guts ready?
>>
File: IMG_20151126_123537.jpg (40 KB, 406x448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151126_123537.jpg
40 KB, 406x448
>>321851380
>games built for difficulty
>like the souls game
>>
>>321851546
Ok, hipsterious, name some.
>>
>>321851650
Normal Clownpiece
>>
File: dragon's dogma.jpg (427 KB, 667x1618) Image search: [Google]
dragon's dogma.jpg
427 KB, 667x1618
>>
>>321851450
>guess you'll remember to save your waifu in NG+ then fag
>Brine
>thinking your cat Fursona gives you, or vidya played by you, nightvision - kill yourself
>if this came as a surprise to you in any game ever, literally kill yourself
>things that never happened, lying on the internet, etc
>expecting sunshine, rainbows, and happiness in an area fucking called "Devilfire Grove"
>don't drop the soap (unless you're into that sort of thing)

I'm am prepared, yes.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.