[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went so horribly wrong? Was this the final nail in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: tmp_29128-ff13-50997134.jpg (45 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29128-ff13-50997134.jpg
45 KB, 400x276
What went so horribly wrong?

Was this the final nail in the coffin for Japanese games?
>>
kill yourself.
>>
>>321817969
Butthurt wapanese
>>
>>321817664
Nothing.
No it wasn't.
>>
>>321818601
You didn't know about this place when this game came out, right?
>>
>>321817664

Final nail in the coffin for FF.

Shit used to move consoles, now it's 3rd rate trash that only reject fags enjoy.
>>
>>321818789
I did. I actually believed you fags at first.
Then, I played the game.
>>
>>321818856
Is Jrpg dead?
>>
XII was.

Boring ass game that had style but no substance at all. Since they they only went for graphics and for weird battle systems and for things that weren't the reason of why people loved FF to begin with.
>>
Here's what went wrong: Sticking with the same setting for three games.

One of the franchise's strengths is supposed to be the fact that it completely reinvents its story and characte growth system with each game. The XIII line threw that out of the window.

That burned through A LOT of consumer goodwill, and unless XV does literally a godly job of rebuilding that, Final Fantasy will probably irrevocably lose the title of being THE JRPG franchise in the eyes of the West to Persona, if it hasn't yet.
>>
>>321818949
And discovered that it's totally non linear and doesn't have cut content out the ass? I'm sure you loved that theme park with all its mini games right?

Tell me your secrets, I'd like to play the non shit 13.
>>
>>321819110
Persona is obscure as fuck.
>>
>>321818976

Pretty much.

Hell, Playstation was mostly pushed by JRPGs and dudebro stuff. Nowadays JRPGs are pretty much just mobile games.
>>
File: 1443186272174.jpg (8 KB, 328x343) Image search: [Google]
1443186272174.jpg
8 KB, 328x343
>>321817664
It wasn't a FFVII rehash, which is all the only-started-playing-video-games-in-5th-gen reviewers want out of the series.

Final Fantasy is doing just fine. XIII did fine, XIV stammered but bounced back with huge critical acclaim, and XV is the hype train that never seems to end.

JRPGs have been doing just fine all this time. It's WRPGs that are stagnating into the Skyrim / Fallout 4 / Dragon Age shitfests. Deus Ex: HR is the only good AAA WRPG to have come out in the past five years.
>>
>>321819137
I simply liked what it was.
The beginning was ass, but it improved towards the end. I dig the cast, the world and its lore, the visuals are nice, and even the combat system is just fun (with manual combos + repeat).

I never have really bothered with minigames in FF games, that's not why I play them. And there's that whole amusement park in 13-2.

I feel a bit sorry for XIII; first it was made multiplat, which resulted alterations and cuts. Then there's the oldschool fags who think that the old games were somehow "open".
>>
>>321817969

>this is why squeenix did it

>the worse they made it the madder we'd get and the more we'd complain
>>
>>321819584
Final Fantasy was never open, but by throwing away the overworld in X and continuing that trend in XII, Square made a crucial mistake: The overworld's primary function, beyond giving the player a sense of scale, was obscuring linearity to an extremely effective. You cannot, after all, complain about a game taking you down a corridor when the "corridor" you're following is the geography of the freaking planet.

I presume XIII keeps up with X and XII on that regard? I haven't played it yet, I'm trying to gather the courage to download 50 GBs of data of a game that auto-closes with no saves whenever I accidentaly press ESC
>>
File: lightning_b.jpg (289 KB, 1128x976) Image search: [Google]
lightning_b.jpg
289 KB, 1128x976
>>321817664
I worship Goddess Lightning's armpits!
>>
>>321819110
>Here's what went wrong: XIV 1.0
>>
>>321819992
Cheap-o 360 gamepad fixes that issue.
>>
>>321820008
So here's a question, are you Lightningpitfags like that because Lightning is the only character in the entire franchise that shows hers with any regularity in artwork, or because they are somehow superior to everyone else?
That always confused me.
>>
>>321819992
Don't download it. Get the sequels. The story won't make sense whether you know what happened in XIII or not.
>>
File: ff13 chocobo pulse.jpg (199 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ff13 chocobo pulse.jpg
199 KB, 1280x720
>>321819992
>I presume XIII keeps up with X and XII on that regard?
yes, in general it's more like FFX than the others. It's pretty much a "pipe" for majority of the game, with one notably bigger and more open section with sidequests at the last 3rd.

The sequels are much more open-ended and in general fixed many of the original's flaws.

But yeah, there are fags who do swear that FF1-9 were "open world".
>>
>>321819992
13s corridors are nothing like 10 and 12 though

The entire game is a corridor going north except for one monster hunter tier arena.

It doesn't even have a single fucking NPC you can talk to. Compare that to 12s hubs? 13 doesn't even know what a hub is
>>
>>321820281
I disagree, and shall now proceed to call you a fagget.

The story, no matter how over the top, made perfect sense to me. You just gotta know some fucking ENGLISH.
>>
>>321818976
Final Fantasy XIII is not a JRPG
>>
>>321820390
Story of FFXIII, sure. XIII-2? Not really.
>>
13 is simply a great game. But its biggest flaw is that it's unapologetic for what it is. It doesn't cater to the players and moves along at its own pace. If you're able to take in everything it's trying to offer, you can experience one of the true masterpiece of the last generation. If you can't then, well, I guess not everyone makes it to Buddha.
>>
>>321820289
Nobody said open world.

We said non linear. Learn the fucking difference.

Witcher 2, an actual RPG, is non linear but not open world.
>>
>>321820296
>hey, we might turn into monsters at any moment
>also, we're wanted fugitives with our faces on all form of media
>but hey, let's stop to explore and talk to random people, some of whom might recognize us
You're an idiot
>>
>>321820565
But all final fantasy has the same beginning and then the same end. The only exception is 13-2.
>>
Neo /v/ee loves this game.
>>
File: 1280158711867.jpg (77 KB, 467x640) Image search: [Google]
1280158711867.jpg
77 KB, 467x640
>series like Fire Emblem and Persona have exploded in popularity
>Tales games are being localized and selling fantastic in the West
>A Xeno- game has the best open world
>A Final Fantasy MMO is killing nearly everything else on the market
>turn-based RPGs like Bravely Default are actually doing very well and getting sequels
>near-constant releases of series like Etrian Odyssey, Atelier, etc.
>JRPGs are dead

meanwhile the most critically acclaimed WRPG of the year is a meme game made by a shitty dog in Andrew Hussie's basement
>>
since /v/ is now ironically hating open world games, you guys should revisit this game

it's linear as fuck
>>
>>321820684
That's a retroactive justification.
The development team wasn't ready to make a fully fledged world map but stopped because someone said "aww, chucks, the story forces us to remove all this content and to go linear, oh well!".
>>
>>321820776
Non linearity isn't restricted to multiple endings.
>>
>>321820491
13-2 is straightforward as hell, and LR wraps up the whole trilogy just nicely.

In general, it's better to just suck it up and play all of them. Each of the ff13 games have their pros and cons.

>>321820565
I consider TW2 linear as fuck compared to 1.
>>
File: j.jpg (54 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
54 KB, 500x353
>>321820445
>>
>>321820945
It's rich when people with glass houses start throwing rocks at one another.
Bioware, the same company that more or less eliminated equipment stat numbers off their last game and turned them into bars because apparently it's less threatening to the player.
>>
>>321820945
"RPG, that uh... that stands for Romance Partnership Game, right? 'Cause that's we make. We make RPGs."
>>
>>321819992
Eh, I wouldn't say the previous games' overworlds really did a good job of providing the illusion of openness, but even a flimsy illusion is better than non, yes.

The bigger problem with XIII's linearity is probably that not only is the order in which the player visits the areas linear, the areas themselves are linear too.
Older instalments had large towns and dungeons to explore and you could go back and visit them any time you liked. FFXIII's world, until you get to Pulse, is literally one huge corridor filled with points of no return.
>>
>>321820945
>Bioware
>Trying to tell people what isn't not an RPG

Bwahahahahahaha.
>>
>>321820945
>meanwhile ffxiii is better written than any of the garbage bioware has shat out in the past few years
>>
>>321820804
>Fire Emblem
>exploded in popularity

Nah, it just seems that way because Sakurai jerks off to that series even more than Toriyama jerks off to Lightning.
>>
>>321820853
No, it's because the team wanted to tell a story and have to have everything revolve around it. Notice how you couldn't use magic until you turned into a l'cie because humans couldn't use magic. Notice how Vanille and Fang started with more bars than the rest of the party? Notice how they lock the crytarium away until they actually grew stronger in the story and not just during grinding? The biggest flaw in 13 is that it's a slave to the story. In 13-2, this necessity was not there anymore so they gave Snow and Serah Magic right from the start with a convoluted explanation and then never talked about it again.
>>
>>321821281
we still liked them back then
>>
>>321821320
And as a result, it gets more fans. Awakening made a loooot of people notice that series.
>>
>>321821429
Speak for yourself. That company lost the last of its integrity the moment Mass Effect 2 came out.
>>
I don't know, but it had some pretty cool boss themes.
>>
File: 1432275448868.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1432275448868.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
You and everyone else who plays video games will be playing FF XV on release.
And you're all going to love it.
>>
/v/ is just tsundere for Lightning.
>>
Still the best FF battle system.
>>
>>321821561
ME2 came out in 2010, the quote is from before DA:O
>>
File: final fantasy.png (88 KB, 311x187) Image search: [Google]
final fantasy.png
88 KB, 311x187
>>
>>321821708
FFXV is being helmed by a different team and actually looks fun
>>
File: 2015-12-28_00001.jpg (169 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-28_00001.jpg
169 KB, 1920x1080
>>321817664
This fine piece of ass wasn't showcased enough.
>>
>>321822002
I feel like the game would've been better if she had replaced the first Barthandelus fight, and then have Orphan fused with Cid for the final boss form instead of Barthandelus.
>>
>>321819992
The problem isn't really the lack of an overworld so much as it is the lack of freedom at all.

FFX and FFXII, for example, really don't have an overworld, but you can freely revisit every area you previously visited (with one or two exceptions) and there are several other areas and activities outside of the main storyline to experience.

FFXIII's problem is that it's the exact opposite; there's only TWO areas you can revisit, only one of which has anything to do in it, and all that is is boring old mark hunting. Literally all you do is fight in FFXIII, and then during the end game, when you're given this huge area to finally run around in, all there is to do in said area is more fighting.

FFXIII wouldn't have received a quarter of the hate it got had it been more like FFX and given you the freedom to revisit areas and stuff to do outside the main quest. Seriously, 80% of all the people who hate FFXIII will cite it being linear as a piece of string as their primary reason for hating it.

This is all coming from someone who actually really did like FFXIII and has played through it four times. It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be but many complaints aimed at it are legitimate and I can totally understand why people would loathe it, especially long time FF fans.
>>
>>321822002
>all this buildup in the story, like they want her to be a primary baddie
>literally the only interesting villain in the game up to that point
>just anti-climatically kill her off in a cutscene without letting you fight her

It's like SE made every poor decision they could possibly think of with FFXIII.

Letting me pay to fight her in the sequel provided little consolation.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.