[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8
File: 1396515599134.png (8 KB, 486x451) Image search: [Google]
1396515599134.png
8 KB, 486x451
>>
Any fightan games really
>>
Sonic
>>
Deception

Love the idea but I'm just not very good at it.
>>
>>321795437
All mobas
>>
>coudn't
>>
>>321795437
fighting games. I'm bad a them and the people that aren't bad are elitist and autistic as fuck.
>>
Dark Souls series/Bloodborne
>>
>>321795437
Final fantasy. 7 felt like a master piece but I always get lost in the overworld and not know what to do. Looking up walkthroughs is a hassle and wandering around aimlessly for hours is even worse. Plus there are some special items that you can never get once you miss them. I really don't enjoy playing through games with a walkthrough.
>>
MGS.
>>
MGS.
I can see they are loved, played a couple, but never got so heavy into the whole series
>>
Not a series, but Witcher 3. I wish I could be draw into the game that everybody says is fantastic. But I just could never get into it. I've restarted it multiple times.
>>
Strategy games like AoE
>>
>>321795909
Why* they are loved rather
>>
Fighting Games
>>
>>321795437
Metal
Gear
Solid
>>
>>321795437
game: Final Fantasy II
franchise: Splinter Cell
genre: RTS and fighting games
>>
The Stanley Parable and Valkyria Chronicles
>>
>>321795437
mmorpg
>>
Final Fantasy
>>
File: image.jpg (392 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
392 KB, 1200x1600
Diablo style games.

they just feel like a huge grind and finger crossing to get good gear.

Also I always end up having a shitty build because I frontload too much on crappy abilities.
>>
roguelikes
>>
RTS. I missed the boat I think. I try so hard, playing so many games. desu, it's because like most people on this site I'm a console babby that doesn't like to use his brain too often.
>>
dark souls

the controls are overly complex and could really have done with most of the actions becoming contextual. the tutorial is pretty poor.
the movement and animations are really sluggish and encourage you to play very conservatively and very defensively, and give the game a really slow pace
the visuals are unappealing and the story\world is just grimdark

>>321796149
did you play with friends? i could never play a diablo-like single player but DII was a blast with friends
>>
>>321796274
what games did you try
>>
>>321795437
Any multiplayer co-op/ FPS game

I just really fucking hate people, it's bad enough dealing with them on /v/
>>
Zelda

I tried, I tried so much, I think I played like 5-6 different Zelda games and the farthest I got was like 6-7 hours into one of them (forgot which). They just seem bland and boring to me, I don't care about the story, the gameplay doesn't suit me that much and everything related to it is just... meh.

Sorry anons, I tried but I can't like it.
>>
>>321796617

Total Annihilation. AoE 2&3. Dawn of War. Rise of Nations.
>>
>>321795810
What's wrong with just playing the game at your own pace and not care about missing some items or places?
>>
Any game that has turn-based combat with random encounters.
>>
Dragon Age
>>
>>321796435
I did play with one,but I barely got any challenge because he was playing 'let the skeletons do the job while I wank'-mancer.
>>
>>321795437
Metal Gear Solid
>>
>>321796435

>I didn't found out how to lock on targets

DS has one of the easiest combat systems around

>the controls are overly complex

Literally, lock on and watch out for swings and attack when target is opened

I bet you find minecraft combat complex as well
>>
The original Fallout games. Planescape Torment is one of my favourite games, but something about FO 1&2 are just so awful. Wasteland 2 seemed to suit me a bit better though, so I'm not sure what the issue is
>>
>>321797249
>old games are awful
Yeah and?
>>
>>321797498
I don't think you read his post, or the OP.
>>
Metal Gear. ALL OF THEM.
>>
>>321795437
dishonored
that tacky and cliche plot
>>
>>321797076
the problem is that it relies of a lot of relatively complex inputs. e.g. O has five different functions depending on which other buttons you're pushing at a time, R1 has 4 different functions based on which other buttons you're pushing at a time.

you don't make a game hard to master just by adding complexity to the controls, you just make it hard to learn.

this thread is for 'games you wanted to get into but couldn't so please don't sperg out on me just for giving some really quite constructive reasons that i couldn't get into dark souls
>>
>>321795437
pokemon
holy shit grinding is killing my ass
>>
Kingdom hearts
sounds like a shit idea on paper but who knows, japan has a way of pulling weird ideas like that off.
nope, just as gay and autistic as it sounds
>>
I don't give a shit about GTA outside of driving around randomly killing people and running from the cops.
>>
Persona. I tried, I really did. I'm perfectly fine with golden sun/FF and stuff.

I just couldn't get into persona, maybe I need to try another game of the series or I dunno. I bought another one on sale to give it another shot but I haven't felt like playing it yet.
>>
>>321795810
I can't think of any items like that in VII, and most of the time there isn't really that much over world to explore and they usually point you in the right direction anyway.
>>
Ace Combat
or any flying games really, I just can't get into them
I also enjoy playing RTS games every now and then but I am absolutely terrible at them so playing them isn't fun most of the time
>>
Rts games
I can put the enemy to the easiest settings
Give myself another 8 allies
Possibly mod the game so I start out with an insane amount of money

And I'll still be killed first
Don't even get me started on multiplayer
>lol dude your base/army sucks I'm going to kill it all anyway
>>
>>321797249
I've seen many people complain about how rather bare boned the original fallout were, not sure if it's true or not
>>
>>321797962

Not the anon but..

Sorry, you just seem really dumb when it comes to playing video games. If you can't figure out how to roll/dash with O within minutes (which is kinda needed to get out of tutorial), then my condolences. R1 had different functions but pretty much only thing needed was its basic attack and sometimes stab (pressing it while being behind an enemy) - and you can take your time to master other functions, or not if you don't need them.

... I'm honestly baffled how can someone say those are overly complex controls. Whole game is pretty much running around circles, dodging, sometimes blocking enemy attacks and straight up attacking normally.

DS has one of the dullest combat melee systems around and I bet even a child can do it.

What video games do you even play?
>>
>>321795437
FF Tactics.
>>
Fallout i really can't get comfortable with this destroyed world, everything grey and brown.
>>
>>321795437
Megaman
And I've played several titles but never felt anything special about them
>>
>>321795783
>I can't seem to get good at this genre in which the only way to get better is to play other people whom I consider to be generally awful people. I don't know them all, but because they play this genre, that's what they are to me.

Wow anon good luck in life.
>>
>>321795437
souls series
>>
gran turismo
then i learned i only like exceptions of racing games like need for speed 2 (the rest are shit) and carmageddon
>>
>>321799991
Oh and to add, disliking graphics, grimdark story is completely objective and it's up to you to dislike it as much as you want.

But honestly, calling dark souls combat complex is really laughable.

Can't even imagine you trying to pull off combos in Devil May Cry like something like this. http://a.pomf.se/yngkno.webm
>>
Pretty much only dorf fort

I know how to make basic a basic settlement but after that im pretty much overwhelmed
>>
>>321800340
it's a shame that you have terminal shit taste
>>
>>321800749
I think everybody can agree that Dark Souls and Devil May Cry styles of combat are completely different.

Not the guy you're replying to but I can say that they both offer different types of complexity.
>>
>series
witcher
>genre
fighters
>>
Honestly, like 70% of genres and new franchises, i can't get into anymore. My brain is like just don't bother with them you've got enough nonsense in here already.

MOBAs I couldn't get into. Being a feeder while you try to learn isn't fun.
>>
rts games
>>
File: Campbell and Gaseous snake.jpg (24 KB, 546x292) Image search: [Google]
Campbell and Gaseous snake.jpg
24 KB, 546x292
>>321797887
>>321797009
>>321797670
These. I never got past the first areas in 2 and 3 so I gave up altogether just because I didn't like getting caught.
>>
>>321795437
MGS.
>>
File: Silent Hill 3.jpg (198 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Silent Hill 3.jpg
198 KB, 1024x768
Silent Hill and Fatal Frame. Absolutely love the aesthetics and the overall atmosphere, but the gameplay is just so boring I just couldn't. I try every year though, eventually I'm bound to finish at least one of the games. I'm at the hospital in SH2 right now, been there for about a year so far.
>>
>>321801118
>70% of new genres and franchises
i understand not getting into mobas
of new franchises? same , 99% of them are fucking shit
>>
Easily The Witcher.
The game give me the free dialogues choices but I can't escape Geralt's personality
>>
>>321795437
Devil May Cry. It's boring. Even in the WebMs with the long combos it does nothing to me.
>>
File: le katana face.png (8 KB, 243x309) Image search: [Google]
le katana face.png
8 KB, 243x309
>>321801023
>>
>>321797962
But DaS would be an example of simple controls, as opposed to complex. The one thing you could say is that the controls aren't immediately obvious, because the tutorial is shit and the game doesn't communicate their uses all that well.

For most souls fans I imagine they thought the same but just stuck with it because the premise of the game was interesting enough and after a while it becomes difficult to think of the controls as complex anymore. Most would probably call it a slow-paced, simple combat system. No matter how big a fan or not they were. Mostly you learn to either block or roll an enemy's moves and then you're set. Magic is actually completely optional, and is also slow (arguably clunky).
>>
>>321801029
My point still stands, there is nothing complex around running around in circles, rolling, blocking and attacking when you have opportunity.

It all comes to timing your attacks, especially if you wanna get Havel's Ring really early in the game by unlocking the door with you having to backstab him 1000 times.

You'd have to be braindead if your mind can't comprehend that simple style of gameplay and to call it complex.
>>
File: Law.png (220 KB, 506x362) Image search: [Google]
Law.png
220 KB, 506x362
>>321801654
>implying law is edgy
>>
MOBAs, I just hate them so much, but I really want to play with my friends because it's fun.
>>
>>321801943
nice mangapanda crop
>>
>>321795437
Cuhrazy games (DMC, Bayo, MGR) etc - I've just always felt like something's missing and I find them ultimately unsatisfying to play. GoW being the one exception; but I wouldn't class that as crazy, it's too slow

Civilization

Moba's - I played 4 hours of Dota 2 and just hated every minute of it; but some people are just plain addicted to it so I'm still convinced I'm missing something

Played about 8 hours of Counter Strike and found it incredibly low in depth, slow and boring - never understood why people like it. I'd rather play UT or Quake
>>
the entire Halo series
>>
>>321795437
>MMORPGs
I like the general idea, huge world to explore, tons of enemies in better MMOs actual variety in the enemies not just recolor, customization characters, appearance changes with weapons and armor, near endless game play, tons of players to have fun with.

But I hate actually playing MMOs, and only last 1 week - 1 month before getting bored and stop playing.
>>
>>321795437
persona
I didn't try to get into it but im just here to post how theres a really big group of people who don't know jack shit about it and never will because theres never any shots of any gameplay and looks like a dating sim with horrid writing and artstyle
>>
>>321795437

Deus Ex
>>
File: 1440519917317.jpg (155 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1440519917317.jpg
155 KB, 720x960
>>321795437
Fighting games, particularly BB, GG, and P4A. I just don't have fun learning the genre. Pic somewhat related.

DotA 2. I just don't like the in-game mechanics, and it feels very nonresponsive. I spent the better part of 200 hours before I realized I wasn't enjoying this game at all.

Binding of Isaac/Super Meat Boy.

Witcher. The storytelling and lore are great, but everything else is shit.
>>
>>321802145
>cropping pictures myself
try again
>>
>>321795437
Paradox games.
>>
Bioshock
DMC (I like and have finished only DmC, sorry)
mobas
TF2/CS/CoD or any flavor of the month online only games, including those survival games
The witcher (I like them in theory and yet I don't want to play them)
Sports games
Platinum games
Fallout
Assassin's Creed
Racing games
Grand Strategy
RTS

So what do I even play?
Fighting
Roguelikes
Souls
Select AAA titles (Deus Ex HR, Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, Dragon's Dogma)
Isometric rpgs
Magic duels (those shitty online mtg games)
>>
>>321795437
>all these white people saying fighting games
>>
>>321795437
Fallout
>>
>>321803101

I can understand it, there's a kind of high barrier of entry if you even want to be semi-decent at fighting games and lots of concepts and terms you have to learn to get any good and have any hope of beating even the scrubbiest of scrubs. Also lots of time in training mode practicing combos, links, and/or whatever unique mechanics one fighting game may have. And fighting game tutorials aren't very helpful to newbies most of the time, we're getting there tho.
>>
Final Fantasy 7. It was a literal curse. I tried starting the game a good 50 times. EVERY SINGLE TIME, something would happen that would require me to turn the game off before I could get to the first save point. Being called away and either being made to turn it off or having someone else switch to something else while away, power outages, pets stepping on the console, anything. I eventually got so sick of playing the first section over and over again that I made a solemn vow to never play FF7, as it was clearly not meant to be per the fates. I wonder if I should try again with the remake, if that will be an exception.
>>
>>321803632
>lots of concepts and terms you have to learn
i don't know what "zooning" means
its spamming the same shit to force the enemy to make a mistake trying to reach me? dunno
i just play the game and learn how to counter shit
>>
>>321795437

I've always wanted to get into WoW because it was just this big phenomenon that all my friends enjoyed and played. I tried WoW up until mists of pandaria though at that time I had myself being paid for by someone else since cataclysm which is the only reason I went back. I tried every expansion and started in vanilla but always got bored with it and went back to other mmos. It just wasn't fun and felt kinda shallow in certain aspects to whatever I was playing. I couldn't justify paying a monthly fee for something I didn't really enjoy.

I always felt jealous because my friends could talk about WoW with anyone and loved the game to death. Yet no mmo I ever played people were into and all I could think of was what turned me off of WoW in the first place. Hell the lore couldn't hook me either and I at least played WC3.
>>
Morrowind and strategy games
>>
Legend of Zelda
>>
Dwarf Fortress.
I tried. I really, really did. I put at least 30 hours into it trying as hard as I could to enjoy myself and I just fucking couldn't.
>>
>>321802328
You should try Guild Wars 2. It's an MMO which doesn't play like an MMO. I used to be a huge MMORPG addict until I played GW2, it ruined all the other MMOs for me and now I can't play them anymore because they simply aren't as fun or as fluid as GW2.
>>
The Witcher. I was really liking the game but droped it when I got into the big city for some reason.
And fighting games
>>
>>321804105
>>321804105
>i just play the game and learn how to counter shit
Right, that's what everyone does playing fighting games. Some then choose to call those things stuff, like "zoning". Where's the hangup?
>>
>>321795437
Resident Evil
GTA
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.