[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Good Rogue Games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: nethack.png (155 KB, 1024x701) Image search: [Google]
nethack.png
155 KB, 1024x701
Are there any good rogue/rogue-like games out? I've played some basic shit like Spelunky and FTL, and I'm ready to try some harder games.

Pic somewhat related
>>
File: 1405575038682.jpg (15 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1405575038682.jpg
15 KB, 320x320
There's Sonic Adventure 2 which has Rogue the Bat in it
>>
actually roguelikes are not "game" there's no gameplay involved.

the most famous, DCSS, literally has a button for automatically follow and attack enemies, and one button to explore.
>>
>>321787131
try the Thief series, just pretend the title is Rogue instead
>>
Spelunky and FTL are roguelites or roguelikelikes. They are punishing and make use of random generation but that's pretty much all they share in common with roguelikes.

If you're looking to get into roguelikes, you might want to start with Dungeons of Dredmor. It's simple as far as roguelikes go, and a lot of roguelike vets bitch about it because of that, but I can't think of a better entry point to the genre.
>>
>>321787131

Either start playing Angband or DOOM The Roguelike and work your way from there.
>>
>>321787131
Check out the "What to play" pastebin on /rlg/, most of the worthwhile games are listed there.
>>
>>
File: Rogue_Screen_Shot_CAR.PNG.png (23 KB, 637x371) Image search: [Google]
Rogue_Screen_Shot_CAR.PNG.png
23 KB, 637x371
This is the original Rogue
>>
>>321787131
Coming from the experience you have i suggest Dungeons of Dredmor or Elona+.
Elona+ is more forgiving and fun if you can deal with the anime graphics.
Dungeons of Dredmor is closer to a traditional Roguelike.
If you want more after one of those i suggest Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Its the best traditional roguelike out right now and its pretty tough.
>>
OWH

Less than a dollar right now.
>>
Try DoomRL mate
>>
>Nethack ascension

I never will. It hurts, somewhat.
>>
I'd suggest playing Unnethack instead of Nethack
its endgame is a LOT more fun and its somewhat harder to break
>>
If you want the full autism rogue experience, play dwarf fortress on adventure mode (with no tyleset)
>>
>>321787131
a recent good rogue-like that just recently came out is Nuclear Throne. I've been enjoying it alot
>>
>>321788635
I don't play many roguelikes but I got Dredmor recently and got to level 15 fairly easily on my third run on the hardest difficulty

Lord Dredmor kicked my ass though, how are you supposed to beat him?
>>
I quite like Cataclysm.

>Build solar powered RV with composite and military plating on it
>Slap some guns on top of it
>Home is a death tank
>Still too scared to go near enemies like tank drones or chicken walkers
>>
>>321794392
remember this?

|aaa
|@a
|aaa
>>
>>321787131
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
>>
File: 3.png (64 KB, 270x239) Image search: [Google]
3.png
64 KB, 270x239
>>321795309
Triggered
>>
File: roomofmonsters.png (17 KB, 511x381) Image search: [Google]
roomofmonsters.png
17 KB, 511x381
If you want a good entry to the "real" roguelieks, look no further than POWDER

its pretty much on every platform you can name too, even GBA

http://www.zincland.com/powder/
>>
>>321787131
IVAN
ADoM
Elona
Cataclysm: DDA
DCSS
Infra Arcana
ToME
etc.

Just check the general on /vg/.
>>
>>321795258
As you should, one hit and it could all be over.
>>
>>321795258
>take motor and steering wheel from a motorcycle
>take a seatbelt from a car, a flashlight, and tape
>slap it all on an office chair with rollers
>driving by at 70mph unloading my smg wildly at zombies giving no shit
The nonsensical possibilities of the vehicle mechanics of this game are so fun
>>
>>321795718
that's something fun about the roguelike genre: even regular enemies have to be treated with the respect they deserve
and some of them deserve a LOT
>>
>>321795996
Ok I laughed my ass of thinking about that could someone draw this?
>>
File: 1421379778184.gif (960 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1421379778184.gif
960 KB, 320x240
>>321794392
>tfw I managed to ascend
One of the better gaming feels out there
>>
>>321795558
Someone needs to port it to android I'd love to play it during a boring day at work
>>
>>321796487
what'd you ascend as? I only managed it with a wizard and a knight sofar, and I'm well aware both of them are easy mode options
>>
>tfw getting killed by succubus/incubus in Nethack
>>
>>321796487
modern /v/ ladies and gentlemen, people who think ascending in nethack is a significant accomplishment

if only we could erase the last 10 years and stop all these embarrassing casuals from showing up.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.