[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5 years have passed since Other M was released and caused the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: 553930110_HYioi-1050x10000.jpg (203 KB, 1050x526) Image search: [Google]
553930110_HYioi-1050x10000.jpg
203 KB, 1050x526
5 years have passed since Other M was released and caused the Metroid franchise to be abandoned (again) by Nintendo.

Who was responsible for the fuckfest we received in the end? Sakamoto, Team Ninja?

How for fucks sakes could they not bring any innovations? instead they used the same formular "missle, super missle, varia suit, gravity suit ...". Retro did it! three times!
>>
I've never liked Metroid despite playing Super Metroid and all Metroid Primes. Never really understood the appeal.
>>
>>321782260
I wish we hadn't killed Federation Troops or whatever it was called. Looked more fun than rocket soccer.
>>
>>321782260
Sakamoto worked on all Metroid games so far, some of them are considered masterpieces.
Team Ninja stopped making good games the day Itagaki left.

Gee,I wonder who is to blame.
Also, metroidfags are the worst fanbase.
>>
File: 1445225053445.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1445225053445.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
Thanks for the reminder that Nintendo is dead to me.
>>
File: 8ee.jpg (524 KB, 1000x773) Image search: [Google]
8ee.jpg
524 KB, 1000x773
>>321782543
We owe Sakamoto credit for that but I assume he lost it, same reason some actors, directors, musicians turn shit.
>>
>>321782260
Sakamoto. All of the games bad decisions were from him. He originally wanted the game to be on rails. He was the one that insisted on having it be wii remote only, despite the change to a 3d environment. He was the one that insisted on the 'recharge' mechanic, the mechanic where you roll to avoid damage and get a full charge blast. The pixel hunting. The voice direction. Samus glowing purple when you get the gravity suit.

He seriously doesn't know what made Metroid popular and absolutely hates the original Metroid, saying that once you 'figure it out' the game becomes nothing special. This thing you figure out? Jumping and shooting. Yes, that's right. The whole of the point of the original game in his eyes was nothing but the combat system itself.

This is a creative director that doesn't know a single thing about the franchise that he helped to create and thinks of Samus as the daughter that he never had and Adam is his self insert.

He's the very definition of a hack.
>>
>>321782541
kill yourself
not everything is just a meme to hate on, the game looked like genuine boring shit
>>
Other M was the worst kind of bad because it gave people an easy way to feel smart, so Metroid discussion is just gonna be the same tired circlejerk until the end of time.
>>
>>321783870
>coked out Samus slut
Would slaughter with my dick
>>
team ninja killed my two favourite franchises, DMC and metroid

I have no idea what else they've worked on but I want them to die nonetheless
>>
>>321782604
Poor ol' louie
>>
>>321784785
Team Ninja didn't make DmC, you are thinking of Ninja Theory, makers of the atrocious Blade storm, or whatever.
>>
>>321785008
Heavenly Sword

Bladestorm was a Dynasty Warriors spin-off
>>
>>321782260
other than the shitty story wasnt other m a cool hack n slash game?
>>
>>321783870
How the fuck has she 3 arms ?
>>
>>321785516
That's the suit sleeve you goddamn retard
>>
3D metroids have always been shit
>>
>>321785646
lol

an empty suit does not look like that, but whatever
>>
>>321785393
>hack n slash

I don't think I could even call it that. It was...something and I don't even really think about it anymore.

I think that is the worse thing of all. It wasn't even infamously bad. It was just the regular bad. The one that you look at and you might be mad when it was first out, but now it's just tiring to hear about.

Nintendo doesn't like to admit when they fuck up though, so it's going to be nothing but Other M and Federation Force for the rest of time until they go under.

God I use to love them so much, but they really lost touch with what made their games so good. Constantly trying to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>321782437
Good for you, thank you for your irrelevant post.
>>
People always blame Team Ninja but it was Sakamoto who actually made Samus into a whiny bitch and demanded the whole wiimote flipping thing to shoot missiles, among other things.
>>
>>321785813
>Nintendo doesn't like to admit when they fuck up though, so it's going to be nothing but Other M and Federation Force for the rest of time until they go under.
Doubtful. FF has gone completely dark ever since the backlash. I think they even wanted to release it in early 2016... kind of late for that now desu. I bet it's being overhauled.
>>
>>321782260
team ninja made one good game. the rest were bad to mediocre (and who cares about fighting games in 2015).
>>
>>321784342
>>321785953
Anyone has that interview about a Team Ninja employee telling how he finished modeling the Gravity Suit and after showing Sakamoto he asked "why is she purple?" before demanding her to go back to orange because purple would make it hard to take the cutscenes seriously?

That was on the level of the guy saying Kojima was serious about vampires.
>>
>>321786216
Sakamoto is a Nippon George Lucas
>>
>>321785813
Reinventing something is not a bad thing. Look with Metroid Fusion they also tried something new (climbing) and added it to the super metroid gameplay everybody already knew and it worked.

My main problem with Other M is that a japanese game studio did worse than a western studio with the same franchise. If we just look it at the core gameplay:

Prime 1: Visors, different suits with new capabilities, scanning
Prime 2: Light and Dark world (already done in previous Nintendo games), light and dark suit
Prime 3: Different planetes, PED suit, new ways to solve a puzzle.

And what did they with other M? " Oh lets put the standard weapon and tools in this game and lets roll". Heck even every Zelda Game has a different gameplay thanks do different items, capabilties.
>>
>>321786141
I doubt it, going dark is just standard Nintendo shit. They make an announcement for a game they are working on when it's got a couple years in it's development and then you don't hear about it till it's ready to release. Same shit happened with Zelda U, which is why people keep saying it's getting ported to the NX.

It's obvious though that no matter what they do, it's going to sell like shit. Just like Codename STEAM.

Nintendo is slowly realizing that their consumer base is dwindling. So they keep trying new things to appeal to them, not realizing it just pushes the ones they have left away.

I was a Nintendo fanboy for 20 years. The NX will be the first system that I will never have.
>>
>>321784342
Is he fucking insane? What is he doing now?
>>
When is gingerbread jake getting a game?
>>
>>321786951
Wario Ware and Tomodachi Life.
I think he said he doesn't want to return to Metroid.
>>
>>321786501
Holy shit that is the perfect analogy.
>>
>>321784342

>Sakamoto

Who was responsible for Super Metroid then? That game was perfect.

>Super Metroid (1994) — Director, Scenario Writer

Were there other co directors not listed? Was he just head of the project who took credit for everyone else's work? Because I can't get how the director of Super is the same director as Other M.
>>
>>321782260
Do bald and piglike even make videogame comics anymore or is it all 100% dad shit now?
>>
>>321786717
Anon, they always come back though.
Look at DK, Yoshi and Starfox.
>>
>>321787498
It's possible for people to lose their touch, y'know.
Look at some of Miyamoto's recent contributions. He's the reason Sticker Star is shit.
>>
>>321785953

Looking at gameplay samus and at cutscene samus you wouldn't even think they were the same character in that game. I bet team ninja could've made it work if left to their own devices.
>>
>>321787498
Gunpei motherfucking yokoi
>>
>>321787817
Yeah, they also would've made everyone a tittymonster.
No thanks, they made Samus ugly enough.
>>
>>321786667
No, it isn't bad on it's own, but you have to actually remember what made the series good. Adding on new ideas to existing gameplay that is proven to work is great.

That's what made the Prime series excellent. They put serious thought in translating Metroid to a 3d environment. We got not only the item hunting, but the combat as well and most importantly, the alien environment.

Other M was the exact opposite. It took the superficial things about Metroid, implemented them sloppily. Then said "Yeah that feels Metroid enough. Now let's add in everything that ISN'T Metroid. Like an over focus on story, every other poor decision just seems like it stems from that really. Can't explore because that might cause you to skip story.

>>321787498
At the time, they had a producer who actually micro managed the team. Gunpei Yukoi. He kept Sakamoto's shit ideas in check. Just like the higher ups kept fucking George Lucas in check.

>>321787614
>DK
You mean the Retro Studios games? Looked like shit, never played them.

>Yoshi
Wow, talk about a series that has completely lost what it was worth

>Starfox
"Hey guys, I know what we need to do, let's remake Lylat Wars for the third time!"

You aren't instilling me with confidence.
>>
>>321782260
Other M Rocks!
>>
>>321787925

>Super Metroid was developed by Nintendo R&D1[20] with a staff of 15 people managed by Gunpei Yokoi. The game was directed and written by Yoshio Sakamoto, and produced by Makoto Kano.[1][21][22] Intelligent Systems, who co-developed the original Metroid with R&D1, handled the programming for Super Metroid.[23] The game, which was released almost a decade after the original Metroid game, took half a year to gain approval for the initial idea, and actual development of the game took two more years to complete. When asked why the game took so long to make, Sakamoto responded, "We wanted to wait until a true action game was needed. [...] And also to set the stage for the reappearance of Samus Aran." Previously visited areas were added to Super Metroid to add a sense of familiarity that would satisfy players of previous Metroid games.[21]

So Sakamoto is listed as the game's director, but Yokoi led the team? Wouldn't the team leader be the... director?
>>
>>321788152

Go away dobson
>>
>>321784609
Like undertale
>>
>>321788030
>Looked like shit, never played them.
You should. They're actually pretty good.
>>
>>321788197
Directed just basically means "idea guy" Yokoi was actually responsible for translating it to his team that he had working on it. I can bet you that most of Sakamoto's ideas were ignored. I thought I also remember an interview with one of the devs from Super Metroid talking about how he felt Sakamoto was an idiot.
>>
>>321782543
>Team Ninja stopped making good games the day Itagaki left.
And Itagaki has yet to make a good game since he left.
>>
Somewhat related. What is retrostudios working on?
>>
>>321788934
Nobody knows.
>>
>>321788030
>DK
>You mean the Retro Studios games? Looked like shit, never played them.

You can think that if you want, but I'd heavily re3commend you DKC Tropical Freeze if you have a WiiU and you like platformers.

It fixes a fuck ton of issues Returns had as well as having way better and interesting scenarios as well as a god-tier soundtrack. It certainly feels more fresh with it's mechanics than, let's say, any of the New Super Mario games.

If you play and still think it's shit can't really change that. But I recommend you give it at least a look.
>>
>>321787789
I don't like this meme. Miyamoto only told IS not to add new characters. He didn't come up with that full retard sticker system or the idea to use a nsmb map
>>
>>321789669
While true you forgot two big things he DID say:
>He said "Do we really need a story for this? Just have Bowser kidnap Peach is fine" which is not something you tend to skim on a RPG.
>He also did not like IS original build because it was too much like TTYD/PM1. While he wasn't the one who made the stupid sticker system, he had them refuse the perfect gameplay system they had in the past.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.