[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the protesting cease with the extended cut?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: mass-effect-31.jpg (100 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
mass-effect-31.jpg
100 KB, 1680x1050
Why did the protesting cease with the extended cut?
>>
Because they fixed the ending?
>>
Because everyone knew that was all Bioware would ever do, and further protest was pointless. All anyone could do from then on was not buy the DLC or any future games. As for me, I've lost all interest in Mass Effect as a result of ME3.
>>
Outrage is fizzled out almost as fast as it generates.
>>
>>321732461
Adding more shit did not fix a thing.
>>
>>321732675
me too. But not because of the ending. I bought the PS3 edition. It was so poorly optimized I couldn't finish it. The slowdown was making it impossible.
>>
TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE!!!!!!!
>>
Is it possible that the writers tried to pull a George Lucas by keeping the twist a secret to everybody involved? "I am your father" worked because we were already invested in the characters -- but that garbage with the starboy needed heavy revision
>>
>>321732405
People stopped asking them to fix it when the extended cut made them realize Bioware was incapable of doing that.

They're an empty shell of what they used to be. Just maggots writhing in the corpse.
>>
Did it? I don't know.
I've only bought the first game. The second game got turned into a cover based TPS already.
>>
>>321733130
The Starchild was invented by two guys in 15 minutes and the ending was based on notes written on a napkin. They made everything up as they went along.
>>
>>321733528
Sure, and they didn't tell anybody. That's what I'm saying...
>>
>>321732405
This: >>321732675

But the funny thing is, I kind of enjoyed ME3 at the start in the gameplay and mechanics department, but the writing kind of wore me down and when I got to the mission where I stormed the Illusive man's base, I found myself unable to care about playing further.

Probably for the best, considering the outrage.
>>
>>321733528

Man, I remember finishing ME1 and being so fucking positive about the future of the series because Bioware had said that they'd planned it out as a trilogy from the start. Here I was sitting on story gold and I had 2 more full games to look forward to!

My god were they full of shit. I love ME2 gameplay and character wise, but storywise it's COMPLETELY disconnected from the fucking plot, which in turn fucks up ME3 tremendously before it even begins, and they didn't have the talent or chops to make a compelling ending even if they hadn't sabotaged themselves with ME2 already.
>>
File: 20110721.gif (125 KB, 576x1573) Image search: [Google]
20110721.gif
125 KB, 576x1573
I didn't mind the ending to it, everybody complained. Like, what do you think the odds of humanity ever discovering it's reason for it's own existence? Next to zero. What are the odds we would like what we found? Absolute zero.
>>
>>321734237
I could have forgiven them making it up as they went along if they hadn't also fucked everything up so badly, and if they at least looked back every now and then to make sure that the new stuff wasn't totally fucking up previous plot points.

Take the Starchild, for example. There's no good reason why he shouldn't have been able to open the Citadel relay, which means the entire series shouldn't even have happened.
>>
>>321734551
That's hardly the issue people had with it.
>>
Mixed feelings aside, indoctrination theory had the potential to aide Bioware out of their shit hole since the fans made all the groundwork for it. Bioware had every opportunity to play along, add the real ending of destroying the reapers once and for all like your motive was in the first game and create a hopeful future for the galaxy.

NAH FUCKERS ARTISTIC INTEGRITY YOURE TOO UNEDUCATED TO UNDERSTAND OUR FLAWLESS STORY.

What a great ending too, the galaxy is fubar and now you have to go to another one to continue. Genius.
>>
Because they realized that's the best they could do.
>>
>>321736369
Indoctrination Theory was utterly flimsy and Bioware going with it would be admitting they were wrong.
>>
>>321737823
Bioware did admit they were wrong.
>>
>>321738607
First I heard of it.
>>
>>321738607
source
>>
>>321734237
Maybe this is why ME3 didn't bother me as much as it did everyone else, because I knew from the beginning that they were full of shit. I knew they would never pull it off, so when the end came, all I thought was "called it." Don't get me wrong, ending was still awful, but the level of vitriol I saw took me aback. Like, was everyone that naive when ME was announced? Or just 12?
>>
>>321734237
The Bioware that gave you that promise is not the same Bioware that delivered dissapointment
>>
>>321739024
It was still a big fat lie that it was conceived and planned as a trilogy from the start, since it became very clear they were making shit up as they went.

>>321738904
What's the naivete, here? That a developer can plan an overarching story for three installments? Doesn't seem like THAT much of a tall order.
>>
>>321737823
So what if it's flimsy? I didn't say it was the greatest fix, but it would have alleviated the ending from bring retarded and all about machines saving you from machines and making the ending slightly more than was given.

MEHEM, a simple fan mod, is not perfect either but it still gives a happier ending than the that was given. If Bioware had even attempted something like that would have made more people happier.

Bioware being wrong should have been admitted. It would have shown a genuine concern for their product owning up for their mistakes in the hopes for fixing a rushed game on release rather than tip-toeing around the subject making them look even more incompetent. EA was partly to blame for the rushed story, shoddy business demands the game required, and development time given, which would have shifted the blame towards EA more than Bioware itself.
>>
>>321738654
>>321738709

The fuck do you think the extended cut was?
>>
>>321739419
Cashing in on the demands of their audience while doing almost nothing to really fix what was wrong with the ending?
>>
>>321732405
>Why did the protesting cease with the extended cut?

Because people are fucking retarded and will take anything to make things right in their heads

Anyone with half brain who paid attention to the story and the previous games knows that the Extended Cut fixed NOTHING and actually made things worse by trying to explain bullshit that didnt make sense to begin with
>>
>>321739243
>What's the naivete, here? That a developer can plan an overarching story for three installments? Doesn't seem like THAT much of a tall order.
Do you remember the announcement? "Overarching story" wasn't the big deal, it was "meaningful choices that will carry throughout the trilogy, causing hundreds of different paths and endings, no two players will experience the same game," shit like that. And that WAS a tall order back then. Game was announced almost 10 years ago, and meaningful choices weren't exactly the big buzzword they have been. It was ambitious, not quite Molyneux but you could still smell the horseshit from a mile away. You'd have to be retarded, a child, or just very faithful in Bioware to believe it.
>>
>>321739887
>Game was announced almost 10 years ago
>almost
Over 10 years actually, my mistake
>>
>>321739998
>>321739887

There's varying degrees, though.
I didn't expect Bioware to deliver on that promise to the letter, but what they did in the end was so lazy and pathetic it's disgusting even if I had no expectations.

I didn't expect or want hundreds of millions of different choices, all I wanted was a satisfying, overarching plot and some BASIC degree of taking into account past decisions for the ending, not PRESS BUTTAN: RECEEV ENDING.
>>
>>321739419
Certainly not an apology.

>Here you go, a shitty DLC-ending for free that doesn't really resolve anything, now buy our next game.
>>
>>321740575
>Also Synthesis really is a utopia and not an existential nightmare, we swear
>>
>>321732405
People stopped caring.

At that point people who had problems with ME3 realized the whole story was tripe.

The people who just wanted their closure got it.

And everyone forgave the star child and made sure to never question his logic again.
>>
File: Panty&Stocking_1293269559204.jpg (81 KB, 401x385) Image search: [Google]
Panty&Stocking_1293269559204.jpg
81 KB, 401x385
>>321741135
>YO Organics keep making synthetics that kill organics so we made synthetics that would kill organics to prevent them from making synthetics that would kill organics

>Dawg I heard you don't want synthetics killing organics so we made all organics synthetics and I can't think of anything witty
>>
>>321739419
The extended cut was merely a way for "idiots" to comprehend the ending Bioware created. A cheap Slideshow, someone explaining it, with a message to now fuck off and buy some more DLC.
>>
>>321732405
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Qr-iSO6ac

How does this make you feel, /v/
>>
File: all-of-me.jpg (142 KB, 454x610) Image search: [Google]
all-of-me.jpg
142 KB, 454x610
>>321741382
Disappointed
>>
Ive got to be the only tard actually looking forward to Andromeda s8nve it's hopefully a retcon of the shit they fucked up in the series?

Also space cowboys sounds fun if done right
>>
>>321741135
>Not supporting transhumanism
I bet you also believe in God
>>
>>321741923
You've legitimately got to be retarded to be any more positive towards Andromeda than resigned pessimism
>>
>>321732792
Lets be honest, they wrote themselves into a corner with the reapers.

I would have been better to just keep the reapers purpose and origin a secret forever.
>>
Protests ceased because after the extended cut (which didn't "fix" the ending as wallpaper over the most glaring plot holes) people realized it's a lost cause.
>>
I just wish they added back in the scene of Anderson telling you you'd be a good parent.
>>
>>321742045

I havent let the salt overtake me anon
>>
>>321742879
you should, its easier this way anon
>>
File: 1370368324316.gif (492 KB, 307x198) Image search: [Google]
1370368324316.gif
492 KB, 307x198
>>321732405

Because it gave us a good ending.

Not because any of the endings were satisfying, but because you could chose to insist the endings were unsatisfying.

You could chose oblivion and throw a big fat bird up at Bioware for having no fucking brain. And the game would reward you with the only thematic ending possible.

And even then, they fucked up. All they needed to do is have a few armored silhouettes approach the Beacon while Liara monologues and play Vigil in the background.

Fuckers could even do a whole nother trilogy after that if they had half a braincell.
>>
>>321732405
Because everyone realized how retarded protesting about a video game ending is, felt ashamed and quietly stopped.
>>
>>321742028
As if Synthesis were even the slightest bit scientific and not pure space magic.
>>
>>321745032

Let's not get that shit started.

We really should have just put a ipod in everyone's skulls and a liver in every robot and called it a day.
>>
I can't believe you guys couldn't figure out they were full of shit after what a disappointment ME2 was. The plot was either entirely inconsequential or a rehash of the first game, and they "fixed" all of ME1's problems by getting rid of the associated gameplay elements entirely. But everybody slobbered on Bioware's dick and told themselves they were only edging so that they could shoot a massive load with the third game.

It's honestly when I lost interest in gaming.
>>
>>321732405
CAn anyone tell me if the new endings are actually good/decent? i thought on playing the third game but after i heard all that bullshit about the ending i just ignored it completely. Now with these new endings i might give the game another chance.
>>
>mfw shepard actually survived
>no fucking story past that point
>that's it

Bioware can get fucked
>>
>>321732405

-Peole didn't care at that point
-The people complaining really wanted an epilogue/closure on the characters and universe, not better endings, and the EC delivered that except for the squadmates and Shepard, the most important ones in the game.
>>
>>321746249

The problem with 2 is that it had made enough progress in other directions to hide the damage.

Gunplay was much better, but customization disappeared.
Interrupts added agency to the player, but the writing itself was streamlined to remove any detail.
They bring us through a few varied setpieces (a welcome break from ME1's "Habitat", "Underground Habitat" and "Habitat in Space" levels), then somehow made them all play the same.
They removed the Mako and... Well, removed the Mako.
Guns and Powers were made unique, but the arsenal was cut down to nothing.
The biggest warning sign was the Codex was gone.
By 3, they'd taken the RPG out of the game almost entirely.

>>321746471

They added a single new ending and a few variations. High War score makes any ending "acceptable"; You can even survive the game by taking selecting Destroy at high enough War Score.

Alternatively, You can refuse to activate the Crucible: The Paragon does it in the defence of free will, while The Renegade does it to spite the cycle. That ending ends with Liara displayed on a Beacon like the Prothean one that started this whole mess, handing off the information to the next cycle. The game then goes to the post credits assuming those who find that beacon will beat the reapers (or more likely for the pompous fucks at Bioware, pick one of their shitty choices.)
>>
>>321732405
Becuse bioware admited defeat
>>
>>321734237

Playing ME2 it feels like they were trying for an Empire Strikes Back kinda thing where it was mostly about character development since you had the exposition and shit already given to you and you're planning on a third to wrap things up.

Unfortunately, this never really works because the games will always have to be made with "it's a great place to jump into the series!" in mind. So you change the cast in the middle act that's supposed to not be about exposition, but now you have to do a bunch of exposition for like a fucking dozen new characters' daddy issues and that's what the majority of the game ends up being about. Some of the characters might have been interesting, yes, but that really isn't the point; it just makes for a really weak middle act over all.
>>
>>321732792

They fixed everything uncomplete about the ending and added lines and options to the StarChild speech so you knew the consecuences of your final choice.

>He doesn't remember how your "dead" party was magically teleported to the normandy
>>
Are these games any good? Or are they games for cucks like the Bethesda games?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.