[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /v/ honest opinion about the last true Final Fantasy game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: LostOdyssey.jpg (137 KB, 256x362) Image search: [Google]
LostOdyssey.jpg
137 KB, 256x362
What's /v/ honest opinion about the last true Final Fantasy game?
>>
File: 1445645940292.jpg (117 KB, 730x919) Image search: [Google]
1445645940292.jpg
117 KB, 730x919
It's a shame I'll never play it since it's only on brobox 6400 mils
>>
>>321721380
I wish I could play it on PC instead of having to get a shitbox360
>>
Pretty fucking great. Surprised the hell out of me being on the 360 and all.

Now as I'm going to do as I always do when someone mentions this game, listen to the battle theme for the next half hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q5FONjVct4
>>
>>321721634
>>321721741
Buy an used shitbox360 for peanuts, play the game, then sell it to get your peanuts back.
>>
>>321721741
I wish it was on PC along with Blue Dragon.
>>
Lost Odyssey is shit. Nothing but a watered down and dumbed down eastern version of Planescape: Torment that offers nothing new or interesting, made for the console kids.
>>
on replaying it recently it's not as good as it's made out to be - its being one of the best jrpgs of the generation says a whole lot more about the generation - but it's still leagues better than XIII and I still enjoyed it a lot

has sakaguchi been confirmed for anything other than that f2p thing recently? I don't think there's been this big a gap between his games before
>>
>>321721850
>an used
>an us
>anus

I see what you did there
>>
>>321722093
>it's not as good as it's made out to be
I never actually saw people saying that it's good
It's just not bad game with kinda fun gameplay
1000years of memories segments (or how it was called) on the other hand were great
>>
Mediocre to bad. It had some cool bits and the dreams were well written, though.

Best Xbox exclusive ever made, though, which says a lot about the Xbox brand.
>>
>>321722648
You haven't played the game. You just parroted some shit about the dreams people say so you could seem not completely biased when shitting on Xbox.
>>
>>321722765

You sure? I definitely remember playing it.
>>
Got to the final boss of Disc 3 and got my ass handed to me. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
>>
Loved the shit out of it, one of the few JRPGs that came out last gen that actually felt like a JRPG and not some action bullshit. Music was great, I loved most of the characters (outside the twins), and the Immortality gimmick both in terms of gameplay, story, and the short stories. Also had a ton of side content and the general length was pretty great.

Kinda helps that the game feels a lot like FF9, and a lot of the same people worked on it. Only downside is that the loading fucked it on review scores, and it is something I would love to see get re-released on PC in a better form.
>>
Above average for an JRPG for sure. One of the dew JRPGs where I actually liked the MC, and the rest of the cast was pretty great, even the kids didn't grate too much. Combat was decent for turn based. Good story. Suffered from various JRPG problems.

6.5/10 as a game, 8/10 as a JRPG
>>
>>321722898
Definitely remember that shit being hard when I played it.
>>
>>321721380
This needs a PC port or should become B/C on X1.
>>
>>321723371
How did you end up beating it? I've got an itch to play now.
>>
>>321723826
I honestly don't remember bro it's been years.
>>
File: 144139901176414.jpg (69 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
144139901176414.jpg
69 KB, 350x350
>>321721961
>>
I'm not the only one who noticed how it started to rain when they played this scene, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSQ6nCiq5jY
>>
The only reason this game gets any praise is because of how it contrasts with FF13, which is popular to hate. FF13 tried new things, LO stuck with the old and so it's supposed to be the 'real' FF. Never mind that FF has always been the RPG series to try new gameplay and skill systems, trying to push the genre even if it risks alienating fans.

LO is a clear example of a game with no ambition to do anything special and being utterly boring as a result. The combat is slow and clunky. The story is completely generic. When people praise the short-stories, that's because that's literally the only thing in the game that is sort of different and gives the game character. If you compare the writing in the short-stories to the story of the main quest, the difference in quality is like night and day.

The main problem is the combat, though. Slow as fuck. Everything is high HP, low damage. There's no challenge at all because the auto-res mechanic means that even when you do encounter a difficult fight, it's almost impossible to actually game over because your characters keep coming back to life.

You can see what they were trying to do: make an utterly standard traditional RPG. But that attitude just shows the lack of ambition they had. The result was a mediocre game.
>>
>>321724065
Christ, I played this game at a rough-ish period in my life and some of those stories hit hard.
>>
I loved it other than the shitty kids and random battles.
>>
>>321721380

>that scene when they are all crying around a chick in a bed.

I honestly don't remember what the fuck the context was now, but I cringed so hard I almost died.

I wish my memory wasn't shit.
>>
>>321724837
You're overstating how different JRPGs really get; the mortal-immortal thing and ring timing weren't on the high end of "shaking things up" but nor were they on the low end. You're also overstating how easy the auto-res made the game. But I agree combat was grindy.
>>
>>321725179
she was dying because it was the main character's wife
>>
>>321724837
>The only reason this game gets any praise is because of how it contrasts with FF13, which is popular to hate. FF13 tried new things, LO stuck with the old and so it's supposed to be the 'real' FF. Never mind that FF has always been the RPG series to try new gameplay and skill systems, trying to push the genre even if it risks alienating fans.
er except people liked it before ff13 came out, and it's written and directed by the creator of final fantasy as in the guy that directed all of them up to 7(?correct me if i'm wrong on this)
>>
>>321725179
Something that heavy is always risky for a less serious medium like video games and no it didn't knock it out of the park, but it could have been a lot more cringey than it was.
>>
>>321725340
Daughter.
>>
>>321721380
It's okay, for a while. The big problem is that you end up needing to link both of your immortals and grind every time you get a new character.
>>
>>321725584
er right. See my brain said daughter but my hands typed wife for some reason.
>>
Who else dropped this game after the first boss?
First bosses should teach you about game mechanics and not be THAT hard!
>>
>>321727423
What, the griffin thing? It just teaches you that each level is important not to make a beeline for the boss. The game just isn't so easy you don't have to level up a bit.
>>
File: Welp.jpg (149 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Welp.jpg
149 KB, 1920x1080
>>321727731
It's one of the hardest bosses in the game next to the Fagosaurus
>>
>>321727731
You literally just have to get another level or two and stay healed against the griffin. I had more trouble against that faggot militia with the dude on the horse, right before you meet the kids.
>>
>>321727423
>>321727731
>>321728913
The game's biggest problem is when it decides to randomly step its game up without warning, and then receding in difficulty.

Like with the griffin, and the fag squad on the horses. They hit like brick shit houses, and call for perfect decisions, and then the next few hours are nowhere near as difficult for some reason.

To me, it didn't give a sense of "oh wow, now that was a boss," it felt more like "They didn't test this fight anywhere near enough." The game is easy as hell, what with characters that can learn anything, and who will auto-revive if you stall long enough. But then it randomly decides to kick you in the dick, which it then acts as if said dick kick never happened.
>>
>>321721380
Fucking great game. Loved the story, characters, short stories, god-tier OST, and fun gameplay.

I do not regret the 80+ hours I sunk into it
>>
>>321721380
>le not final fantasy is le final fantasy meme XD!?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.