[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About 2 hours in and I can understand people's annoyances
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: Tales-of-Zestiria.jpg (527 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Tales-of-Zestiria.jpg
527 KB, 1920x1080
About 2 hours in and I can understand people's annoyances with the combat. But really all they have needed to do was allow us to control the camera with the right stick and it fix a major problem.. Anyways Tales thread.
>>
>>321706097
Funny you should say that since Beseria is giving us direct camera control.
>>
>>321706575
Well seem like they understood that the game had problems. Anything else I should know about before playing more? I found equipment that is basically the same as what I'm wearing? Is that normal or is that because of the skills on the weapon completely fucked up?
>>
>>321706783
Learn the attack triangle (martial>casting>special>martial), and make sure that you stack equipment skills. The equipment setup in this game is fucking idiotic.
>>
>>321707185
Care to explain it? Also is there any reason not to have those discovery skill on at all times?
>>
I still can't believe they didn't realize how bad the camera was and didn't try to fix it.

When I play multiplayer with friends, there's probably 1 of us screaming about how we can't see our character each battle.
>>
>>321707372
the only reason of the support talents is to max their levels by grinding battles or doing what the skill has a boosted effect on, as in finding herbs and monoliths
maxing the level will grant you 2 AP which can be used for battle actions which also help you greatly in combat
the only useful support talents are obtained later down the road but it'ss still important to level them up, to get more talents it's vital to constantly rest at the inn for skits of the characters wanting to obtain new talents
>>
While that's my biggest complaint there's other things that cause it to not be that good.
>>
File: Haircut.png (96 KB, 909x95) Image search: [Google]
Haircut.png
96 KB, 909x95
Also I found this cute.
>>
>>321707372
the equipment system in this game is somewhat confusing and complicated for no reason
the game will try to help you many, many times on how to use the system, but it will still seem confusing
what you need to know is:
>equipment has skills
>you combine equipment of the same name to get new skills
>if the skill name is yellow, you have that skill
>if it is blue, it is considered "locked" and can be unlocked by grinding in battles
>stacking the same skills can be very beneficial as well as lining up vertically and horizontally
>>
Should i buy this game? Only played Vesperia b4 but got hooked up to the style and concepy
>>
>>321708980
So a bit like Final Fantasy 9? Where equipment has abilities that after battling I can master them?
>>
>>321709238
not exactly
you get equipment from buying from shops or battling enemies by grouping them together
the equipment will always have a yellow name and if you equip the it, you get the skill
you fuse weapons together and if two different skills are in the same slot in the weapon info, they will creat a new skill with a blue name, which you'll then have to grind to make yellow and be able to use said skill
the only thing you can master is the equipment you have on based on the stars in the upper corner of the piece equipment, doing this will increase the value of selling the equipment and make cheaper to fuse with other equipment
>>
>>321709748
Man that sounds way overly complicated for no reason.
>>
>>321709227
you could
but I recommend the more recent titles on ps3 such as Graces f or Xillia
If you have a ps2, try picking up Abyss
>>
>>321710186
What's your favorite?
>>
File: 0237509285928059238.jpg (263 KB, 792x1008) Image search: [Google]
0237509285928059238.jpg
263 KB, 792x1008
>>321710661
I really like Vesperia and Abyss
Everything else comes after those two games as I don't really hate any of the other titles, but I find these to be more so enjoyable than the others
but everyone has their own preference as to which tales game they like the best, so it'll give you some insight as to what you're looking for in this series by checking out the other games as well
>>
>>321711135
My problem is I hate Abyss. Luke was such a bad main character for 1/4 of the game. It was like pulling teeth for me.
>>
Combat is gud, but Mystic Artes seem to only work when they want to.
>>
>>321711371
I really didn't mind because he got some okay character development
I stayed for the funny interactions between characters and the great 60 fps in battle
>>
>>321711607
Maybe because I played the 3DS. But I just got pissed at Luke for everything he did at the start.
>>
>>321706097
who is that girl on the right?
is it the main heroine?
>>
>>321712606
nah she ain't important
>>
>>321712606
Of course. I am Namco kept showing her off at the start.
>>
File: 1447187211303.png (124 KB, 325x416) Image search: [Google]
1447187211303.png
124 KB, 325x416
>>321712606
>heroine
heh
>>
>>321706097
Honestly the combat system is fantastic. What ruins it is the terrible camera and dumbfuck party member AI. If you could tell your party members to just hang around close to an enemy so you could switch to them after buffering your combo and still have time to link the combos it would be a 10/10 game. Sadly you can't and instead it becomes jank as fuck.
>>
>>321712515

wow. opposite for me. i thought his over the top dickishness was at least mildly amusing at the beginning.

the complete 180 to a total whiny faggot made the rest of the game a chore.

luckily there were other fun cast members to keep me going
>>
>>321713627
>the combat system is fantastic
that might be stretching it a bit
when comparing it to other titles, it is not as polished as it could have been
also the slight delay of button inputs in battle is a little unsettling
>>
>>321706097

I'm about 6 hours in. In middle of doing stuff in the plague town right now. I haven't had too much of an issue with the camera yet. Fuck the limited part setup and story so far. I'm not even remotely interested in the events of the plot.

>playing Tales games for the plot

Still. Perhaps it gets a little bit more interesting eventually.
>>
>>321713640
He was just a whinny spoiled kid to me. I mean if you thought differently great but until the 10 hour mark I wanted him to just shut up and just stand in the corner like Vaan in FF12.
>>321713386
I mean I'm only 2 hours in an I'm enjoying those two.
>>
I WANNA BE WHITE
>>
>>321713853
Nah I actually really like it, but only in theory. It forces you to actually think about what moves you build your combos out of and manage your various resources. Sadly the implementation is awful:

No direct camera control

Ally AI is dumber than a box of special needs bricks

No gapclosers to try and counter the AI's terrible positioning

Fucked up attack buffering

Dodging for SC is way too tight given how little the enemies telegraph

Battle rankings rely on not getting KOs which is nearly impossible with the dumbfuck suicidal AI

Again, the ally AI is so bad that the game would probably be easier if you could just stop rose and her seraph from entering battle at all
>>
>>321714312
Whatever failings the game might otherwise have, the characters are for the most part pretty good for this series.
>>
>>321714740
maybe because I was playing on chaos mode on my first playthough that I really started noticing the faults of the combat system
being the reason that if I or my retarded AI were to make make any mistakes it would be instant death
>>
>>321714312
They're the saving grace of the game for me. They're just so cute, especially in some of the later skits.
>>
>>321715348
Yeah I started on that too but decided I couldn't play the game like that. It really exacerbates the flaws of the system which is a damned shame since I can see myself really liking the game if only the AI weren't so damned terrible.
>>
>>321715652
It must be deliberate (unlike the camera). The AI in Graces was capable of taking care of itself to an extent even on Chaos if you told it to play defensively, but here they just can't.
>>
File: 1422938562130.gif (2 MB, 245x130) Image search: [Google]
1422938562130.gif
2 MB, 245x130
>>321706097
what were they thinking with this cutscene?
>>
This game is garbage. I usually finish all tales games, but I couldn't even play past 15-20 hours here and I was trying to like it. I hated how you had to have 2 human party members in the party. I don't care about Sorey, Rose, or Alisha. Especially Alisha but at least that problem gets fixed. I hate how all the Seraphs or whatever each have one element. That is stupid. The skill system is too grindy and overly complicated. The world is mostly empty. Dungeons are shit but tales usually doesn't have great dungeons. Also battles once again rely on the op move the main character has. But fuck, I like Abyss and Graces a lot and /v/ hates those, so whatever. Not saying this is the worst rpg ever, but if you like it, you should try the other tales games. The game probably annoys me because it seems like they could have made something great but some design decisions ruined it.
>>
>>321716036
Slut/10
>>
>>321716024
BUT WHY? Why is the AI so goddammned terrible? It's the second worst AI of the year and that's only because FO4 AI is so borked it will unload all it's ammo into the wall. I mean it's so bad that it'll just randomly armitize then unarmitize for no real reason, like it won't have any white hp, there won't be a combo going on, anything.

The final straw for me though is that you can't even micro it. The instant you swap control away from a character it'll go right back to doing whatever the fuck it wants. I'd swear I've had Sorey just stop in the middle of a combo I'd buffered when I switched to Mikleo for the followup.

Oh and also fuck mystic artes. No, I do not want to waste 3 BG to do fuck all damage. I wanted to burn one to extend my combo and do more damage overall. No, the drop rate increase and shitty score bonus is not worth it.
>>
>>321706097

Personally I didn't have many issues with it, in my full run of the game I had about 4-5 instances where the camera fucked up and only one affected the battle.

You can easily avoid most fuckups by just not engaging in battles while standing in a corner or next to a wall, not that big of a deal.
>>
>>321716024
>>321716384
>>321716752
>3 year development time
>>
>>321716384
My biggest fear with this game is that they'll completely abandon everything about it when at it's core there's some serious potential in the system. Basically all the mechanics are really good, they're just ruined by shit like incredibly limited party customization, terrible AI, and how long it takes to actually unlock the stuff that actually makes the battle system work. I really hope that Bes fixes all of the jank and does well, cuz this game had some real potential.
>>
>>321716752
MAs are weird in that game. They're relatively okay to use when you have the red numbers, and the second ones are pretty good, but making them cheap enough that you feel comfortable using them is really inconvenient unless you're doing a second run or have specially geared someone to have a ton of spare capacity.
>>
Loved Abyss and Vesperia, but I couldn't bring myself to keep going through Graces f and Xillia. Picked up Zestiria from the Steam sale and started slogging through it, and now I'm up to the end of the Fire Trial. Plenty of faults that aren't exactly dealbreakers, but two things just grind my gears so much.

The power progression being based almost solely around your equipment upgrades could be pretty good idea - except the upgrading system is a complete mess. It's poorly explained, and even if you manage to get some level of understanding of it you're stuck wading through the fusion menus for much longer than you should. I play Tales games for the combat first and foremost, and spending a quarter of my gameplay time sifting through fusion/gear options just isn't fun.

The other bit that keeps bothering me is how much everyone in-game seems to love Rose, and I say that as someone who doesn't even care about Alisha that much. The "noble assassin" bullshit just doesn't cut it for me, and I have yet to see any character actually call her on it. Instead, everyone sort of accepts she's a good girl who dindu nuffin. She and her merry band of assassins investigate marks to see if they deserve it? Who has the moral authority to judge that?

Vesperia dealt with a similar topic with Yuri's vigilantism even if they ended up dropping it without much consequence, but it conveyed the point that his idea of justice was, at the very least, a dangerous line of thinking that was not entirely justified regardless of whether the victim in question is a total villain. Rose on the other hand, just handwaves her group's actions with a "Whatever they deserved it" and everyone just accepts that and moves on.
>>
>>321717513
The noble assassin thing being something used to justify one's actions is actually a specific plot point on more than one occasion. You could even argue that a large part of the story revolves around the loophole generated by conviction in a setting where ill intent has magical effects.
>>
>>321717329
yeah that's what I meant. I wanted to enjoy the game for what they added but so much stuff was just badly done.
>>
File: 2015-11-04_00002.jpg (905 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-04_00002.jpg
905 KB, 3840x2160
>>321717513
Forgot my pic. But yes, it is nonsense. It's just that it's nonsense that comes up repeatedly in different situations. Rose gets away with it largely because she doesn't really do anything overtly evil during the game and Sorey isn't nearly as big a moralfag as one might expect.
>>
File: 1443342573852.jpg (63 KB, 540x303) Image search: [Google]
1443342573852.jpg
63 KB, 540x303
>>321716624
>>
>>321717329
Well the new game seem to be borrowing a few things from Zestiria. So what could be is that they are going to refine Zestiria's mechanics so they are more workable. I'm happy they tired something fair new and refine it than redo things.
>>
>>321717513
I hate that about the power progression too
to be either have a lot of good skills with weak stats or vice versa is fucking stupid because you could have both with most of the past the games

I also didn't like how the story handled Rose
I actually think all the characters are entertaining and good, but the story just doesn't do them justice with the weird pacing, hypocrisy on what is good and what's bad, and how they handle the characters
It's like getting okay to good actors to be in a shitty movie, they could be the best actors on the planet, but a shit story in a movie will still be shit
>>
>>321718398
Sorey and Mikleo is pure.
>>
>>321718460
My hopes for Bes:

Werewolf form has some of the things from armitization (white HP, damage timer based on combo before transforming, transformation frame invulnerability) while just being a different, maybe slightly stronger moveset rather than a win button.

The ability to actually customize your moves and elements.

The same martial artes/basic attack system as Zes minus the grinding. Also the same SC and BG system.

Velvet being the only mandatory party member.

Better party AI, smaller party size (since I doubt the AI will get that much better)

Characters all have gapclosers so you can chain combos even if the AI has decided to just wander off into the corner and play with itself.

Enemies telegraph their attacks better.

The attack buffer system reworked so it didn't feel weirdly laggy like it did.

A bit more reach on martial artes.
>>
>>321717972
>>321717513
>Hey guys Rose is so pure
>She has no evil intent
>She's so pure, she's perfect match for Sorey
>It's okay if she kills anybody because she has no evil intent
>G-guys? Did we tell you she's pure

Getting tired of your bullshit.

The only thing I like about her is her relationship with Dezel.
>>
>>321719835
It's a shame your greentext doesn't reflect what actually happens.
>>
>>321720060
Kek. Whatever makes you sleep at night.
>>
>>321720270
I can remember what actually happened, so no, I don't need to make up stories featuring ancient pasta to help myself sleep, unlike you.
>>
>>321720430
Like I said, if you can rest easily with those thoughts, you can keep doing it. I won't judge.
>>
File: 1450788859876.jpg (172 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450788859876.jpg
172 KB, 1280x720
>>321716036
just to make sure you know she is a slut
>>
>>321720430
Not the same anon, but I'm pretty sure they actually do say exactly that. I think the exact rational though is that because Rose doesn't hate any of the people she kills and just sees it as a job she doesn't generate any malevolence.

It's still bullshit though because even though rose might not have any malevolence in herself her killing people is sure to breed malevolence in their friends and family. I guess that wouldn't stop her form being able to armitize though.
>>
>>321720732
But they don't say exactly that. In fact the party is pretty leery of her whenever she talks about assassination. Her lack of evil intent is a recurring plot point, not something she magically has and no one else does for no reason. The seraphs also don't particularly care about human actions as long as they don't endanger the shepherd. Keep in mind how this game ends. These are not characters who are going to draw a line in the sand over a little murder.
You're also going around assuming she's killing people who might have a family that somehow outweighs whatever child smuggling ring they might be operating. This seems like a pretty big reach.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.