[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will there ever be another JRPG where you and your friends each
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: GoldenSunPsynergy.png (29 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
GoldenSunPsynergy.png
29 KB, 240x160
Will there ever be another JRPG where you and your friends each have unique powers and summons that you use to solve puzzles while journeying through the continent and resting at nearby villages?

This series had so much charm that you just can't find in today's JRPGS
>>
I don't like Golden Sun very much but I like that there were actually puzzles in dungeons and the Psynergy mechanics with it were pretty unique. I appreciate it more and more as time goes on and more and more JRPG's just have bland samey corridors with no real puzzles at all.

But, I also like HM's in Pokemon other than that they take up actual move slots.
>>
>>321694652
I want to ask for another GS, but Dark Dawn was so bad it may be best if it stays dead.
>>
>>321695102
DD's main issue was the fucking points of no return, otherwise it gets more hate than it deserves.
>>
>>321694652
Haven't played a JRPG that has topped GS. Feels too comfy
>>
>>321695491
It's absolutely criminal for JRPGs to have points of no return. Midgar Sector 7 only gets a pass because of story purposes and none of the missables are irreplacable.
>>
>>321696491
>coolest and only new summon in DD has an extremely small window to get it and is extremely easy to miss

Really some dumb shit.
>>
>>321694652
Everybody always shits on this series, but I liked it. inb4 nostalgia, I played both of the first two this past year.

It's definitely a "training wheels" JRPG, but as long as you bear that in mind, most of the aspects of it being so are bearable, and it has a lot to offer; I'm not sure I've ever played another JRPG that was so Zelda-esque. Hell, it even had something that I've been wishing for a while that Zelda would have, namely a variety of different intermediary villages.
>>
>>321696741
To be fair, it was possible miss tons of the djinn in the first two games. I'm still amazed that I found that secret undead pirate boss in the first game.
>>
part 1 was amazing
part 2 was pretty good

but part 3 might've been the worst shit i ever played
>>
>>321694652
I like the puzzles in Golden Sun and I like the djinn system in theory (the complete lack of difficulty and poor balance kind of ruined that).

I haven't got around to trying them but I've heard the Wild Arms game involve similar puzzles. Can anyone confirm that?
>>
>>321697645
>It's definitely a "training wheels" JRPG
That's funny, because Lost Age is one of the few JRPGs that I'd actually consider hardcore.

>a variety of different intermediary villages

None of them are as good as what Zelda offers though.
>>
>>321697982
>lack of difficulty
Golden Sun is about the same as any other console/handheld JRPG. It's designed for kids to be able to beat it, so if you do anything beyond barreling through the story without grinding you're probably never going to have a tough fight.
>>
>>321695491
The artstyle choice was arguably pretty bad too. Chibi isn't very appealing although I can see how they'd struggle to think of anything else. I do hope we get a final entry in GS though just to finish it all up.
>>
>>321698220
>Lost Age is one of the few JRPGs that I'd actually consider hardcore
There's a lot of stupid shit posted on /v/, but this is pretty high in the rankings.
>>
>>321697928
I liked TLA more than the original game personally. They're both good though.
>>
File: 1381688903397.png (147 KB, 231x308) Image search: [Google]
1381688903397.png
147 KB, 231x308
>>321694903
>but I like that there were actually puzzles in dungeons
I wonder why they cut that for the third game
>enter room
>see pillars on a rail with hole at the end
>move each pillar along the rail
>puzzle solved move on
>>
>>321698395

Stop being a memer, TLA had lots of difficult puzzles and bosses.

GS was awesome. If they ever make a new one, we need more classes, moves, and djinn combinations and summons.
>>
Wild Arms series
>>
>>321698458
TLA blew my mind as a kid. Mostly because I just picked up Golden Sun 1 randomly at some shop and never actually expected a sequel. I don't know why but somehow I was already used to cliffhangers never delivering.
And then it gave me a ship and a whole lot of stuff to explore and some new spells and teammates and stuff. It was just a bigger version of the first game so I really liked it.
Looking back on it today, it's probably not the greatest game ever, mostly because unskippable wordswordswords.
>>
>>321698268
I struggled against both final bosses with just summon spam back in the day. I managed it eventually, but especially the double boss fight of the first game gave me trouble.

What I found interesting was that I actually defeated Dullahan in GS2 and went and expected an easy fight with Doom Dragon, but he was still somewhat of a challenge. I mean I didn't grind much at all, but it still surprised me.
>>
>>321698395
How many JRPGs are there even out there with mandatory dungeon puzzles like this?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.