[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any oldfags that actually remember the release of Sonic 06? Did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 36
File: sanic06.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
sanic06.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
Any oldfags that actually remember the release of Sonic 06? Did it create genuine hype or were people expecting a disappointment even back then? Did people actually talk about it here?
>inb4 underage
I'm turning 20 in 2 weeks.
>>
my brother actually beat this shit, i couldn't even make it past the 1st stage
>>
>>321657328
I've actually been thinking about this too.
>>
All hype died when early trailers and stuff hyped up the phrase "what if Sonic WAS IN THE REAL WORLD?"
>>
File: fb_960876.jpg (14 KB, 460x241) Image search: [Google]
fb_960876.jpg
14 KB, 460x241
>>321657328
>People born in 97 will be 18 soon
>>
It was definitely hyped up a bit, but it was so bad that it CREATED the stigma of "Sonic = Bad" and to a lesser extent "all other Sonic characters suck and should never be playable"
>>
>>321657328
I remember seeing a japanese gameplay demo online from TGS or something a and it looked pretty cool. Mad use of physics. They released a demo which was also decently interesting with the physics toned down just a bit. The demo was just a straight-up level though and didn't include the bizarre overworld and retarded loading issues and quests.

not sure how they fucked it up so bad.
>>
File: 1430920079821.png (32 KB, 123x216) Image search: [Google]
1430920079821.png
32 KB, 123x216
>>321658093
>>321658174
>>
>>321658093
>>321658174
17 year olds confirmed

enjoy your ban you underage faggots
>>
File: 1427040475941.jpg (41 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1427040475941.jpg
41 KB, 500x381
>>321657328
Nah man, it was a pretty lukewarm reception, especially for a 15th anniversary game; Shadow the Hedgehog had basically just came out by the time it was released, so the initial reception was very sour, left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Hate to say "told you so...", it was a common theme after it's release; hell the PS3 version was DELAYED because it was SO buggy. And the game play was lack luster too...so yeah.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-27-14-29-44.png (60 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-27-14-29-44.png
60 KB, 1440x2560
>>321658230
>>
I was extremely hyped when the first trailers came out, i was only 15 at the time and the fact it was HD and running on the unreal engine was enough for me.
>>
>>321657328
I remember seeing stuff about Sonic '06 and being hyped for it. I'd look in gameinformer magazines and on the internet and see remember seeing a picture of Sonic, Shadow, and Silver posing together. Never played it though.
>>
>>321657328
I remember trying it out a playable demo in a local game stop with a friend. All I remember is being stunned by it's "amazing graphics"
I also legit remember the demo version being really fucking good. We thought this was going to be the game to revolutionize the Sonic franchise.
We were actually pretty right.
>>
>>321657328
It was genuine hype for a short moment, but then it declined. People were excited for some kind of revival, and people were approving of the serious direction the game was taking, until people saw more of the game- people being the biggest decliners. I think eventually everyone came to hate it over time.

It also made everyone hate the idea of multiple playable characters.

There was a time where all we had was this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59_cHorjNk&list=RDk59_cHorjNk#t=2
>>
>>321658230
But I'm a 96 kid
>>
>>321657328
I wasn't on the internet often enough around the time to know if there was any hype, but my cousin was practically creaming himself when he got it on release date.

To this day I haven't played it but I doubt every person on the internet is lying about how bad it is.
>>
>>321657328
I was 18 when i came out.
By then i was well out of my Sonic phase but my friend had a 360 with just Kameo and DOA4.
Asked him if he'd want it for his birthday and he pretty much told me to fuck off.
Apparently he knew alot more about it than i did at the time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0jFya4qrE4
I cant believe how they managed to fuck it up. They had a solid gameplay formula in the late demo version, but somehow still managed to do it. This Demo actually looks like a solid sonic game.
>>
the "sonic cycle" was relatively established at this point

enough people figured it was gonna be ass, but not to the extent that it was
>>
I was generally hyped for it for months.Almost bought a PS3 just to play it.
>>
I played the demo and was amazed by how shitty it was. At least i got to tell my Sega fanboy friend about it. His disappointment was fuel to me.
>>
File: pepewindow.jpg (126 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
pepewindow.jpg
126 KB, 800x800
>>321657328
>sonic 06 literally came out 14 years ago
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>321658840
>Yesterday was 6 years ago
>>
>>321658003
Thats what Sonic Adventure was too. The entire series is so fucking confused and unfocused. Only Sonic - 3 &Knuckles is truly great when they actually took place on another world
>>
>>321658352
Nigga don't be retarded, it's literally less than 5 days from 2016, most of the people born in '97 have already turned 18.
>>
I'm almost positive I played this at a friend's house, spent the night playing it pretty late, and we were too young to notice that the game was fucking broken.
>>
>>321658696
What I heard is that the final released product was based on a version earlier than that final demo because it was more stable.
>>
>>321658010
I think we should make 23 the new legal age. Everyone that's 18 is still retarded
>>
>>321657328
>Did it create genuine hype or were people expecting a disappointment even back then?
I remember a good portion of people being fairly interested since early builds of the game they showed off actually showed some potential. Said builds even had a seamless day and night cycle that was obviously scrapped from the final game.

What's funny is that the final release of 06 is actually an earlier build compared to what Sega was showing off at different game shows. Since development time was being rushed for the holiday season and the current build they were developing at the time was still incredibly buggy, they opted to just release a previous build of the game that was less glitchy, but was still essentially unfinished and unoptimized.

The game still would have been mediocre at best if given a longer development time, though. The initial idea of "What if Sonic was real?" should have been scrapped from the start.
>>
The demo was a decent experience so there was a little bit of hype behind it, I got it for Christmas and felt obliged to finish it so that my brother didn't feel bad for getting me a gift I didn't like
>>
>>321659438
did you beat Shadow and Silver's routes though?
>>
I was cold about it since announced, Sonic 3D blast had me turned off on anything but a sidescroller
>>
>>321658010
That's how time works.
>>
>>321657328
I remember the commercials, I didn't give a shit.
>>
Some people were hoping it would be a good game. Considering Shadow was a so-so game, all of SEGA's resources were hopefully going to this game. Holy shit, you had to have been there to know how much of a letdown this was. And Sammy didn't have a thing to do with this, Microsoft/Sony wanted it out the door by Christmas 2006, when one more year of work could have saved the game.

Even funnier was everyone's reaction to the kiss. Jessica and Roger Rabbit kissed more explicitly.
>>
>>321657328
There was hype. I don't recall any discussion here.
>>
I used to be a delusional sonicfag and believed all reviewers were biased against the franchise. Then in 2007 I rented the game for myself and it woke me up
>>
File: 1395374648287.png (319 KB, 603x241) Image search: [Google]
1395374648287.png
319 KB, 603x241
>>321657328

I was really into Sonic back then, and I remember being excited for it because it looked like a real successor to Adventure, and I suppose that was the intention for the game during development. At the same time, I was a little cautious after games like Heroes and Shadow, so I took the safe route and rented it when it came out just to give it a test run, and my fears for the game were founded in a way I could have never anticipated.
>>
File: CWCfirstSanic.jpg (2 KB, 102x125) Image search: [Google]
CWCfirstSanic.jpg
2 KB, 102x125
>>321660068
>And Sammy didn't have a thing to do with this, Microsoft/Sony wanted it out the door by Christmas 2006
bullshit; SEGA wanted it out in time for Sonic's big 15th anniversary, so it was rushed in by the holiday season. if SEGA was so worried about making a quality game, they wouldn't have wasted their resources on making a fan requested game and a shit port.
>>
>>321657328

To this day I wonder how such a big developer could release a game so fundamentally broken. I can understand a game being shit, but did they even playtest it? Worse still is that they're still cranking out Sonic games with just as little effort put into production. I tried Sonic Boom a few months ago and it played as if it was held together with staples and cum-stained toilet paper. You couldn't go five minutes without dropping through the floor or clipping through a wall or spazzing out and launching into space like a twitchy Neil Armstrong.

It's like playing Big Rigs all over again, only this time the developers had a proper budget to work with, so it's even worse when they fuck up so monumentally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY
>>
>>321661307
I know Microsoft/Sony were anticipating it for that timeframe, but I can't give SEGA too much slack. If nothing else, they cracked down on some of the other parts of their IP afterward(Comics), but your point still stands.
>>
>>321657328
Sonic actually wasn't thought to be shit back then. Both Adventures were regarded as solid games and, while not as well received as the two games that came before it, Heroes was also thought to be decent. 06 had decent hype to it following Heroes because it looked like it would be like the good parts of Adventure 1 and 2. The release saw the beginning of a streak of shitty Sonic game releases, which is mostly why people think Sonic is shit nowadays.
>>
I remember I was hyped. My aunt took my sister to Disney Land, and my aunt told me I could go with them or get a video game for Christmas. I chose the video game and got this. I loved the game back then
>>
>>321661813
Sega is a king of fuck ups.
>Saturn
>32X
>arguable CD
>Nomad
>Shenmue
>bernie stolar
>sonic xtreme
>multi core processor
>renderware engine for Heroes and Shadow
>Sonic having at least five different continuities in comics and shows, until Adventure tried to override all of them

Sega was always broken.
>>
>>321660068
>And Sammy didn't have a thing to do with this, Microsoft/Sony wanted it out the door by Christmas 2006, when one more year of work could have saved the game.

The fuck are you on about. Where are you getting this information?
SEGA has rushed every single Sonic game since Sonic 1. What on Earth makes you believe that the platform developers were the ones responsible for this piece of shit being rushed and not SEGA, who has a pretty damn good track record.
>>
I beat it when it came out. It reminded me of being a wee todd, and having to just play whatever you had regardless of quality because thats all you had.

The soundtrack still dope i dont give a fuck.
>>
>>321662517
>sonic xtreme
>going to be like sonic jam 3d, cool open levels and classic sonic
>yuji dosent want any more sonic, wants sega to make a good game, says fuck that you cant use my engine
>we fisheye lens now
>game looks like shit, plays like shit
>canceled
>every fan remake uses the fucking stupid fisheye lens instead of the original linear 3d levels becuase sonic fans are stupid

SEGA PLS
>>
>>321662585
This guy gets it.
Sonic 2 was rushed resulting in the legendary number of scrapped levels like wood zone and genocide city zone and hidden palace zone.

Sonic 3 was rushed, so it was split into 2 games.

Sonic Adventure 2 has its game length doubled in the eleventh hour, since originally Shadow, Rouge, and Tails weren't playable.

I don't know about Adventure, but it probably had something.
>>
Sega's reputation was already tarnished by the time this game was announced. Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog went over pretty badly. So when Sega announced that this game was going to coincide with Sonic's 15th anniversary, and was touted as being a reboot of sorts for the series, people thought that Sega was getting their shit together and this was going to be a return to form.

So basically, this game took whatever faith people still had in the Sonic franchise and took a huge steaming shit on it. I'm honestly not surprised that to this day people still haven't forgiven Sega. They fucked up really bad.
>>
>3D Sonic
>Oldfags
No.
>>
>>321662517
Is SEGA the worst managed large company in existence? They do good things, but then they fuck up ten other things and manage to undermine the good things they did. Looking back it's a wonder how the damn company's every stayed alive as long as it has.
>>
>>321662585
apparently, a lot of games were considered rushed early 7th gen like Ninja Gaiden 2 and DMC4. but at least those games weren't haphazardly thrown together into their respective game engines and hoped there wouldn't be any bugs
>>
>>321658487
I felt the same way the first time i saw motorstorm in bestbuy

I was blown the fuck out. Same with Gears.

This happened again when I first got my PC. Playing crysis 2 on 60fps
>>
>>321658010
uhhh 2015 is already over m8. pretty much everyone born in 97 is already 18, myself included :^)
>>
>>321663041
Yes, I'd recommend the book Console Wars, its not the best written book, but it does a good job of showing how sega is one of the worst managed japanese companies ever.
>>
>>321657328
i heard sonic 06 was supposed to be sonic adventure 3
>>
>>321657328

It was actually plenty hyped, both by fans and the press. The graphics looked great at the time, and there was much talk about about the graphics in particular. I remember being very much excited for what we called at the time "Sonic Next-Gen", especially after the disappointing Shadow game.

When it initially came out, it got about the same average scores the media typically game Sonic games at the time, and mostly gave it a pass because of the graphics. Since this sort of reception was expected by fans and had been the norm, it was a "Boy cried Wolf" situation where it didn't really settle in how much of a blunder this game really was. It wasn't until later around Unleashed's launch that the game grown to possess the infamy it holds today.
>>
>>321663359
Also fun fact, Sega was going to use the same graphics chip the N64 used in the Saturn, but the Japanese CEO wanted to use his son's companies chips instead so they stuck with the 2cpu architecture.

After that happened the Sega of America CEO gave Nintendo their research on the silicon graphics chipset which lead to the N64 a year later.
>>
>>321662905
Well it was admitted Big was there just to stretch out the game, also Tails is just Sonic's levels not even with the Amy and Knuckles treatment of a character gimmick just races. So I can see some indications of their shoddy craftsmanship even there.
>>
>>321663041
The Genesis was simply that successful. Even the Sega CD was a financial success, even if it was a peice of shit. The Saturn, despite being awful in America, had a good number of games for it to nearly break even in Japan. The Dreamcast was even doing well until it crumbled under the mere announcement of the PS2.

Given the history behind the Sega CD, its almost poetic how Sega created its own killer.
>>
File: 137113.jpg (7 KB, 499x165) Image search: [Google]
137113.jpg
7 KB, 499x165
>>321658093
Nice.
>>
>>321658520
you have to try it anon
it's not Unplayable by any means but it feels awful in an inexplicable way
like when you just get scared and uncomfortable out of nowhere
it is everything that makes a game terrible and i wholeheartedly recommended it if you want to value your life more
turn off sonic 06 and appreciate the fact that you're alive
>>
File: Eggman_06_Final.jpg (1 MB, 2756x4134) Image search: [Google]
Eggman_06_Final.jpg
1 MB, 2756x4134
I've been on a Sonic binge the past two weeks (Adventure 1, Adventure 2 Battle and Generations).

I've never played 2006. If I can stomach the Adventure games, should I pick it up off of eBay?
>>
>>321663917
emulate it
find a version where the the game doesn't unload and reload the entire world map every time you talk to someone
>>
>>321663917
If you can stomach Heroes than you can stomach 06
I liked 06 more than heroes
>>
>>321658520

Sonic '06 is an experience. It's so laughably flawed, but there are tiny pockets of competence left in there, like a good game trying its hardest to break free from under the surface.
>>
>>321663917
Oh fuck no.

Played 2006 to completion: Trust me, do NOT play it. You will be nothing but frustrated and angry the entire time.
>>
>>321664067

You say that as if Heroes is not a good game.
>>
>>321664067
If Heroes was on Steam, I probably still wouldn't have replayed it. Adventure 1 and 2 had pure Sonic segments even if everything else was shit.

Heroes wouldn't even let you have the Sonic bits.

>>321664043
Emulate a PS3/Xbox 360 game?
>>
>>321664168
It's not.
>>
>>321664168
Heroes is a bad Sonic game.
It doesn't even let you gotta go fast because they force you to swap to power and flying characters.
>>
>>321663627
Big was in just to promote one of SEGA's fishing games.
>>
File: 1428954909208.gif (2 MB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
1428954909208.gif
2 MB, 499x281
>>321663917
It's pretty much Adventure 2 combined with Shadow the hedgehog + bugs
>>
>>321663917
DESU the only way to experience Sonic 06 is the PokeCapn LP.

It's still the only good LP ever created.
>>
>>321662905
Adventure 1 was rushed for a '98 release. The original JP version is even glitchier than what we got (and the US version was released there as Sonic Adventure International).
>>
>>321664365
>force you to swap to power and flying characters.
Only in moderation do I find that a must for some small puzzle. Aren't there even paths that favor a specific type and circumvent the need to use others?
>>
>>321664365
That's not even the problem with Heroes. It's the fact that the flow of progression gets constantly broken by having to spend minutes fighting waves of enemies to progress in certain areas.

The combat aspect of it was fucking awful. If they had removed it but kept everything else the game would've been okay at best because at that point you'd be playing an actual platformer 100% of the time
>>
>>321664365
The main issue is how slippery the controls were.
>>
>>321662517
If nothing else, Sega gave us Segata Sanshiro.

https://youtu.be/gc3AK8k90xw?t=12
>>
>>321663917
06 is best with friends, laughing at the absurd presentation of the story and the finicky controls.
>>
>>321662942
It probably has to do with Unleashed and Colors. Those two games were pretty great when compared with 06. They at the very least, gave the idea that Sega was learning finally...and then Lost World and Boom happened.
>>
>>321666113
Sega didn't make Boom.
>>
>>321666440
Thanks Big Red Button.
>>
>>321666440

That doesn't matter. It tarnishes the brand regardless of who made it.
>>
>>321666751
That's actually a really good point.

>make a Sonic game where you can't lift up more than 100 rings
>rings everywhere like a standard sonic game
>>
>>321662517
The only real reason Sega even got and stayed popular was Sonic. And they managed to fuck that up too.
>>
File: 1446439766543.gif (93 KB, 100x132) Image search: [Google]
1446439766543.gif
93 KB, 100x132
>Nintendo got 3D Mario right first try and have improved it over the years
>Sega fucked up badly and have only one or two good 3D Sonic games.
>>
File: 1450724814742.png (333 KB, 647x599) Image search: [Google]
1450724814742.png
333 KB, 647x599
>>321663917
Do it, it's like five bux on average and you'll be entertained for a while. It's also important to play it as a Sonic fag because of its historical value. Without this game completely demolishing Sonic's credibility, we would have never had Sonic Unleashed, which is undeniably the point where the series pulled itself out of a nosedive.

Since you're interested in playing more Sonic games: Unleashed itself a decent game. I'd recommend that one too, actually. It's a nice palate cleanser after '06. Just keep a GameFAQs handy for the Sun and Moon medal hunting (you need a certain amount of these to unlock new stages, sadly) if you don't go out of your way to collect them. It's not a game breaker, but it can be frustrating to backtrack for them. The Werehog can drag on a bit long, but as long as you buff the shit out of his stats you shouldn't have much trouble. Eggmanland is hard. It will kick your ass. Other than that, it's a pretty good game and laid the groundwork for Colors and Generations.

One last thing- stick with the 360 version for Sonic '06. I think the PS3 version is even less stable because I didn't encounter nearly as many bugs when I played through the game three times.
>>
>>321657328
I bought without knowing the game was pretty bad
>>
>>321667172
I hated Unleashed for giving kickass Sonic stages, seriously shitty werehog stages and making shitty unlock requirements.

But I think I'll pick up 2006. Good call on the Xbox version.
>>
>>321666440
I get what you're saying but >>321666751
pretty much sums it up.
>>
You can still get about 4 dollars for this game if you trade it in to gamestop. That's more than some games that came out 2 years ago.

>Why
>>
>>321667548
It's weird how both the 360/PS3 and the Wii version have spots where they messed up and the other does it better. It's like if you combined them both then the game would have been overall much better.
>>
File: turbomancameo.jpg (647 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
turbomancameo.jpg
647 KB, 2560x1440
Why did Sonic become culturally irrelevant?
>>
>>321659235
>>321658696
can anyone tell me what the differences are from that demo video to final release?

I mean, i finished the xbox 360 version back then, but i can't really see any differences in that demo.
>>
The trailer and the music was so fucking hype holy shit.
>>
>>321668372
The competitors simply pushed SEGA off the map. He was already a sidenote character by the time he made a comeback on other consoles.
>>
>>321657328
>implying you have to be old to remember the the release of Sonic '06

I'm still young and I remember it.
>>
>>321662517
>Sega was always broken.
You seem to forget that Sega isn't only Sonic games.

>Hatsune Miku / Vocaloid
>pachinko machines (i think they make most company profit with them)
>>
>>321657328
I was super hype and then I played it and my tiny 13 year old baba brain was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: Gethype.jpg (10 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
Gethype.jpg
10 KB, 210x240
You guys know someone is making a 1:1 PC Port, while also fixing everything the devs massively fucked up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXUAhtgafIU
>>
>>321668372
Wow, never noticed how fake the buildings look, and... shouldn't those trees be covered in snow? Also. is that a crane near the trees holding the set up?
>>
>>321657328
sonic 06 is the most hyped worst game ever made. come on, i dare you, show me a game that was more/just as hyped and turned out even worse. i fucking dare you motherfuckers.
>>
>>321668372
When Sega dropped out of the console business, Sonic just stopped mattering as much. All the fuckups with his games regardless of system didn't help.
>>
>>321669108
i'd only remember a console that did:
ouya
>>
>>321669108
Duke Nukem Forever. Check and mate.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-24-14-24-57.png (898 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-24-14-24-57.png
898 KB, 1920x1080
>>321657328
I was actually hyped for it, but bought it when it was on sale for like $20, 8t was garbage but being delusional sonic fanboy I was back then, I kept playing it until the end game where I got stuck on that shit last level with tails. Then I played blue dragon and never went back.
>>
>>321668962
those trees shouldn't be covered in anything. it's past autumn, the leaves should be gone and raked into a garbage dump
>>
File: 1450811022011.jpg (100 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1450811022011.jpg
100 KB, 800x600
>>321658010
>About to turn 19

I wish I was still 16
>>
I was like 16 and remember seeing the footage and thought it looked good and I was hyped. I was a big SA/SA2B fan so 06 looked like a return to form to me.

There wasn't much hype in general because around this time the platformer genre was in decline and GrimDark Gears and all that shit took over.
>>
It was hyped to hell and back OP, lots of magazine ads and promo shit everywhere. Also a shit ton of Yiff in Hell posts about Rouge the Bat

Day after release was the end
>>
>>321668941
This is gonna get Cease and Desisted to fucking oblivion
>>
>>321668941
It's pretty sad when fans have to do that.
>>
>>321668941
That's neat, but it makes the game boring. Part of the fun of this game is how fucked up it is.
>>
>>321669730
Wait...

Fapping to Rouge was frowned upon in 2006?
>>
>>321669442
I don't know if I would call that hype. It was hyped in like 98-early 2000s, but the hype died pretty quick when it became apparent it was turning into vaporware. There was some hype when the game released, but it wasn't really even the same game at that point.
>>
>>321657328
There was a little hype. I regret to admit that I almost bought an Xbox 360 just for this game.
>>
>>321657328
i was crazy hyped for it. Live in canada so when games aren't popular (especially back then in 06') stores around me never got it on the release date. Had to wait a week after launch to pick it up (at full price). Only heard bad things about it but didn't listen. I remember being super disappointed it didn't have online multiplayer even though Sega talked about it on the website for the game. Had a big "XBOX LIVE" logo on the box. But only because the game had DLC. Which wasn't available at launch. I don't even think it came out that year. I also bought all of it...
>>
>>321669927
It was at a time where literally anything with even the basest animal features outside cat girls would get that old picture of Robin Hood on fire with YIFF IN HELL FURFAGS written on it.
>>
>>321670094
>This time, speed won't be enough...
>Speed
>Not enough for Sonic the fucking Hedgehog
Even the tagline spelled disaster.
>>
People were hyped as fuck for it, until everyone played the XBLA demo back then and saw how shit that was.

SEGA even came up with an excuse saying the demo was based off a very early build.
>>
File: leo.gif (307 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
leo.gif
307 KB, 160x160
>>321670239
Minor correction, even most cat girls were frowned on like Felicia for some reason
>>
>>321670298
People actually fighting over "they just said it was a early build!" is one of the funniest things.
>>
>>321664067
>>321664168
>>321664291

I don't care what you niggas think, the music is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMqUxYykzI
>>
>>321668814
This is true, I'll give you that. They often fail to capitalize on their successes, though. During the Saturn days many of their successes weren't localized because of SoA's five star policy, and during the dreamcast era they made too many new ip's at once, and many of them fell by the wayside or had lackluster sequels when Sega went third party.

I havn't played any vocaloid games too, but I'm happy to see that they're being successful.
>>
>>321670239
Isn't that still the case?
>>
>>321670864
Best stage.

Best song.
>>
After sonic heroes and shadow the edgehog, no one was expecting anything spectacular. And it's not like everyone universally liked the sonic adventure games by any means.

So no one was realistically expecting something 10/10, but the hype of being on the "next gen" consoles did make people hopeful. But mostly people knew it was going to be mediocre. But they didn't know it would be THAT BAD
>>
>>321664958
>that ending
Beautiful
>>
>>321670298
I remember that, and when the game was released a handful of Sonicfags were saying that the game isn't bad and people who said it is just suck.

Then by the end of 2006 even they came to realize that this game was actually hot garbage. Personally, I liked Sonic Unleashed a lot and that game made me forget about 06.
>>
>>321671226
The guys at gamestop where I picked up my preorder thought it would be bad. They said something like it would be "the last nail in the coffin" for Sonic
>>
File: 1441391632500.png (248 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1441391632500.png
248 KB, 640x480
>>321667172
>tfw you bought Unleashed on Wii

FUCKING SHIT

Is it worth buying for PS3?

How much better is Ps3/360 to the Wii version?
>>
>>321672072

I've only played the Wii Version myself, but I hear that the PS3/360 versions had even more filler between the Daytime stages. I recommend getting the Unleashed mod for Generations if you just want the good stuff.
>>
>>321657328
I was getting excited and there was a lot of buzz about technology like day night cycles and shit like that.

This game had one of the biggest downgrades ever. They didn't deliver half of what they promised.
But I'm sure you know how shitty it ended up
>>
File: DancingSkeleton.gif (2 MB, 279x253) Image search: [Google]
DancingSkeleton.gif
2 MB, 279x253
>>321657328
I remember unironically enjoying it.

Back then i really had no concept of a bad game since i was that kid that enjoyed almost fucking everything. Didn't take me until like a year later i realized that some of those glitches were not features. I also enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog too, but of course every kid in middle school has their edge phase.

Im pretty sure i was just excited that a new sonic game was coming out
>>
>>321672072
It really is a trade off. Th wii version doesn't have the annoying as fuck medal hunting, but I think it has more werehog stages. Especially notable in Eggman land.
>>
>>321658010

They already are 18. But I've been lurking for years.
>>
>>321670094
>play as sonic, shadow, or new silver
>or new silver

Who wrote this?
>>
>>321668941
>while also fixing everything the devs massively fucked up?
But he didnt fix that ugly run animation?
>>
>>321670094

>over 10 action packed stages
That's not particularly impressive.
>>
>>321672072
If im not mistaken the Wii/PS2 version has more night stages while the Ps3/360 version has a hubworld and more Day stages.
>>
>>321657328
My dad got it for me and i didn't even know it existed. I was pretty excited, but the more i played the more i disliked it. i finally couldn't play it anymore at that stage where the whole city is on fire and breaking down. some glitch kept happening where i would just die randomly on the bridge running part.
>>
>>321658010
I've been 18 for half a year already faggot
Stay mad
>>
>>321666996
yeah, in america you fuck
in japan the TG-16 was king and the genesis was complete shit

does no one remember the 90's?
glad i lived through it so i can correct you children at every turn.
>>
>>321669598
about to TURN 19?
holy shit anon, the world is FUCKING OVER!!!

turn past 30 anon, it will happen and then you will wish you were 19 again.

fucking children
>>
>>321672492
>Th wii version doesn't have the annoying as fuck medal hunting

I can confirm this isn't true, you need Xday/X night medals at times in the Wii version.
>>
>>321674928
And you get those from doing the levels. In the 360/PS3 version you have to actually look around levels and hubworlds to find them to open more levels.
>>
Sonic 2006 for the Xbox babyyyyyyy
>>
>>321658089
Heroes and Ow The Edge did that before '06, and people were disappointed with sonic games as early as Adventure.
>>
I remember thinking it mitebcool seeing it from an old Nintendo Power in very early development, so maybe 2004 or something. Then I guess it got scrapped for the Wii and I had only remembered it again after hearing how bad it ended up being.
>>
>>321674707
>Getting this mad
>Over someone saying bad things about "M-Muh favorite Bideo Game company!"
Grow up.
>>
>>321658010
>"Muh older generation"
That's what happens gramps. Get with the times bubby.
>>
>>321657328
I remember not liking Eggman's design. But I was pretty hyped since it looked like something SA2 themed instead of something like Shadow's game.
>>
IN THIS WORLD
>>
>>321674626
This
>>
>>321677714
GOTTA MAKE YOUR OWN WAY
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 744x412) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 744x412
>>321674923
You sound jaded old man. How's that hairline?
>>
>>321658010
Already am
>>
The Sonic 06 development cycle was pretty much screwed from the get go. Yuji Naka left Sonic Team, they decided to turn the Wii port of 06 into something completely different and then a huge chunk of the team was moved to develop Phantasy Star Universe.

But hey, at least we got Sonic Rivals, right?
>>
>>321678218

Sonic Rivals a shit
>>
File: 1443303395164.png (824 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1443303395164.png
824 KB, 1280x720
>>321657328
>old
>has a memory of '06
i'm just
i mean

what

No, everybody who wasn't autistic knew Sonic was shit after Genesis
>>
File: pissed.jpg (47 KB, 386x344) Image search: [Google]
pissed.jpg
47 KB, 386x344
>>321664365
Not really,the controls were slippery and awkward as fuck,I remember the level with the rails being hard just because you couldn't proprely jump on them without dying.
Not only that,but the game was pretty boring and the true ending was a pain in the ass to unlock. I've never actually finished it I don't plan to
>>
>>321678773
Let's not forget the PS2 version of Sonic Heroes, with broken collision detection, worse camera and a smooth 20fps. I grew up with the PS2 version
>>
>>321672072
I played both(Wii and X360),the Wii version is,believe me or not,the Wii had the best unleashed
>>
File: abraham.png (268 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
abraham.png
268 KB, 512x384
>>321677829
It'll happen to youuuuu
>>
>want to play 06 for its "magic"
>dont want to actually pay money for it

life is hard
>>
IT'S NO USE
>>
File: Lost hope.jpg (78 KB, 718x570) Image search: [Google]
Lost hope.jpg
78 KB, 718x570
>>321678998
Same,got it as a birthday present,I was young at that time so I didn't find it,you know,shit. It was a just a 3D Sonic game.
I've never got past the city level with Team Sonic and the Rail level with Team Shadow
tfw had the most progress with team Rose
>>
File: 1346431224563.gif (474 KB, 188x174) Image search: [Google]
1346431224563.gif
474 KB, 188x174
>>321678773
>that part in Mystic Mansion with the gigantic spiderweb
>>
>>321679156

>Have a CFW PS3
>Can't find a living download for it
fug
>>
File: 1450649935437.gif (4 KB, 494x557) Image search: [Google]
1450649935437.gif
4 KB, 494x557
>>321679052
I-I'm not ready to make room for the millenials. The whole prospect that someone born after the millenium-shift is not six years old is mind-boggling to me.
>>
>>321679295
TAKE THIS
>>
>>321663041
I don't know how one company that manages to make Yakuza also churns out this garbage.
>>
>>321676835
You know why we hate kiddos these days?
In our times respect for elders was a thing!
And todays youth is just full of little, spoiled brats.
>>
>>321664479

Well most of the others are basically trying to imitate the success of that one so yeah.
>>
I remember not being hyped for this game, right around the time they announced that Shadow and Silver were going to be playable. I also recognized the Sonic cycle by this point.
>>
>>321668456
I remember playing the demo and it still sucked.
>>
>>321668941

>while also fixing everything the devs massively fucked up?

But the best part of 06 is seeing new and exciting ways for the game to shit itself.

Not even being ironic here, that's like the only redeeming factor of the game. How shittily made it was.
>>
File: silver.jpg (403 KB, 703x980) Image search: [Google]
silver.jpg
403 KB, 703x980
>>321679295
>>
I still think Unleashed's Night time sections were worse
>Fast gameplay runs at a smooth clip
>Slow combat section chugs every two fucking seconds, is slow as shit and each level goes for about fifteen minutes.
>Game makes you do about three of them in a row for every day section

It was like a guy trying to wrestle back the controller from his shithead 10 year old brother the entire time. A more infuriatingly designed game I have not yet played (well, maybe Bullet Witch.)
>>
>>321669598
19 man dude you are so fucking old bra. You should just end your life right now cause its only down hill from here.
>>
>>321664672
And some of the later Team Chaotix levels taking like 10-20 minutes to clear
>>
>>321676835
You sound like that kid south park was mocking, the type that watches lets players instead of playing games.

>>321679743
You sound like you're straight out of facebook or some blog site. You're probably 23, calm down.
>>
>>321669108
Daikatana?
>>
>>321657328
I was pretty young when it came out. I remember seeing trailers for it and thinking it was going to be amazing. I liked sonic adventure 2 a lot. Thought sonic adventure 1 was ok, but it was less polished. Didn't really like hero's much, and never played shadow.

When I saw this game I was excited because at the time the character models looked amazing and they were going back to the adventure roots without any gimics.

Then the reviews started coming out, and said it was glitchy and unfinished and it got horrible scores.

I didn't care, how could it be bad? It's a sonic game on a next Gen console. It's probably not as good as I hoped, but it has to be at least as good as adventure 1.
In 2007 I got a 360 and rented the game from blockbuster for a weekend. Even my lowered expectations were crushed.

Sonic 06 and spiderman 3 on the wii were the two games I played that completely drained me of optimism. I don't get hyped any more. I always feel like, eh maybe it'll be good.. I'll buy it when the price drops.
>>
>>321680175

The worst part about Unleashed's night stages? The fact they actually had some decent music which you could never hear because of this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y
>>
>>321679718

THIS WILL END IT
>>
File: 3d7TET4.png (532 KB, 1440x1724) Image search: [Google]
3d7TET4.png
532 KB, 1440x1724
>>321671829
Reminds me of this
>>
File: 1450515331444.png (254 KB, 758x715) Image search: [Google]
1450515331444.png
254 KB, 758x715
I still don't get it,how can Sega had failed the 3D shift that much ?
>>
>>321657328
>I'm turning 20 in 2 weeks
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I've been playing vidya since probably before your mommy and daddy first met.
>>
>>321680598
I understand the feeling.

I even remember seeing Sonic 06 on sale for $10 back in 2007, and I was thinking about getting it. After all, I already knew it was bad, but I thought it was Shadow the Hedgehog level bad or Sonic Heroes bad, which I also bought and played. I didn't get it, but ever since I saw that 30 hour let's play of Sonic 06, I'm really glad I didn't bought it, because that game is on a whole other level.

It's like all the worst and frustrating memories I had playing Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 put together and made way worse.
>>
>>321680649
Oh yeah, I only ever got to the first boss in it (the Phoenix thing) and the music in it was quite good. In fact I don't normally even like the music in Sonic games but this game actually had a pretty good soundtrack. I swear every department was working in separate buildings with such varying degrees of quality on display.
>The human's voices (if you could call them that)
>Just the look of the humans in general
>>
>>321680884

Lots of companies failed the 3D shift.

You don't hear about them because those companies are fucking defunct.
>>
>>321681089
99.99999999% of the worlds prior population are laughing at you too.
>>
>>321681236

Hey now Dan Green did a pretty good job as Professor Pickle.
>>
>>321658696
Sega pulled the game from Sonic Team several months earlier than anticipated as they wanted it out on a specific time frame for Sonic's anniversary.

They also shipped that absolutely godawful Sonic 1 port for the GBA on the same day they released the Xbox360 version of Sonic'06.

Pretty horrible way to treat your mascot on his birthday, but that's the usual for modern Sega.
>>
what is the best 3D Sonic iyho ?
>>
>>321681347
Oh no he always gives a 10/10 performance even in hentai, I meant more of the inhuman mumbling and soundbites.
>>
>>321681451
Trick question.

No such thing as a good 3D Sonic.
>>
At the very least SEGA has never managed to fuck up the music to this day.

Chronicles doesn't count.
>>
>>321681451
Generations, or about 20% of Unleashed.
>>
>>321658010
I turned 18 a couple of days ago, been coming here since I was 12.
>>
>>321681610
he didn't ask for one though
>>
>>321681778
Colors is about the most tolerable shit in a sea of shit then.
>>
>>321681451
Generations
SA 2 but only Sonic and Shadow levels
>>
>>321681669
Word is the game is unfinished in general but about 90% of the way through development their contract with Sega expired and they just went fuck it we're working on Mass Effect now and left a bare world with no side-quests and that soundtrack.
>>
>>321679592
>getting reminded im 20 years old
>seeing that my younger cousins are old enough to drive
>being reminded im 20 years old

Holy fuck, i still feel like im 17. Its my 3rd year in college and i still feel like going home, and loading up good ole halo 3 customs.

How do you "Feel" like an adult?
>>
>>321657328
I remember an ad that first showed Silver got leaked and everyone was arguing it was too stupid to be real. That was strike one.

Then a trailer showing the final Fantasy-like cinematics got released. That was strike two.

Then the demo came out and I remember everyone was in disbelief about how they fucked up Sonic's controls so bad, like bad car racing physics. At this point everyone was hunkering down for a disaster.
>>
>>321681451
Generations is the most well-made one.

But SA2's gameplay is one that had the best potential. It's a shame they switched over to that awful, slippery as fuck engine for Heroes.
>>
>>321681451
the PC version of Generations
>>
>>321681451
Sonic Unleashed,Generations and Colors were to slow for me
>>
I remember living in Switzerland at the time of 06's launch. I lived in Zurich and lived near a building that had a huge advertising billboard on there.

One morning I remember waking up to see Sonic 06 on there. After seeing that billboard for a whole week, I was really convinced to buy the game. I only had Halo 3 and DOA4, so I needed another game.

I then bought the game after work
Was disappointed
>>
>>321681451
Generations, but I will always love SA2.
>>
File: 1438106471678.png (59 KB, 147x165) Image search: [Google]
1438106471678.png
59 KB, 147x165
>Those gems that let you jump out of the map
>The one that lets you slow down time
>Using it in multiplayer would either make the enemy run really slow or cause you to run at double speed
>Some how it caused locked us into the game running at double speed

This game is amazing, but not in the right way
>>
>>321658230
Oldfags can't math?
>>
File: 1438105436682.jpg (25 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1438105436682.jpg
25 KB, 250x250
> Some even accused Sega for supporting bestiality, during an interview with actress Lacey Chabert, where Chabert stated "Ha! No, you're just being silly. It's not an inappropriate relationship. Let's just say Sonic and Princess Elise have an attraction for each other."[47]

Poor girl. She absolutely loved Sonic, and of course the one she got to contribute to was a complete and utter travesty.
>>
>>321669847

That is the most stupid thing I have ever seen posted in /v/

I am going to screen cap this and post it in every sonic 06 thread that exists from now on.
>>
File: Madonna.jpg (74 KB, 1000x697) Image search: [Google]
Madonna.jpg
74 KB, 1000x697
>>321685495
His first love interest would have been a lot less cringey, because she was obviously played for stereotype bimbo. Elise was too... genuine?
>>
>>321669108
Spore
>>
File: sonic cd.jpg (146 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
sonic cd.jpg
146 KB, 500x706
>>321667172
>>321667548
>>321672072
>>321663917
EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP AND WATCH THESE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSESIftJ6Zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdb3DQuHONk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3NBdSnESsU

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY COLORS, 06, OR UNLEASHED JUST DOWNLOAD THE GENERATIONS MODS
>>
File: 1418436703060.png (102 KB, 500x403) Image search: [Google]
1418436703060.png
102 KB, 500x403
>>321685495
>>321685928
>You will never a Lacey Chabert
Feels bad man
>>
>>321685495
It must have been heartbreaking for her to have contributed to this game, then get her kids to play it thinking it would be good.
>>
>>321657328
i remember it was hyped at gamestop when i bought it
>>
>>321686601
So uh, they ever make the secret rings stages in this yet?

Preferably Pirate Storm and Night Palace?
>>
>>321687023
If her kids were young enough, maybe they didn't even care. Hell, people in this thread say they didn't know any better.
>>
>>321687502
>>321687023
Don't even think she has kids, guys.
>>
>>321659052
>Anon wtf you were supposed to watch over grandpa!
>HEHA CHILL-X Mum, It's only been 5 days since he had a heart attack
There is a special place for people like you
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.