[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many games used the SNES's high res 512x448 mode? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 440screenshot1.png (83 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
440screenshot1.png
83 KB, 512x448
How many games used the SNES's high res 512x448 mode? I know Seiken Denetsu 3 and Marvelous used it, but I can't think of any others.
It seems like the Snes had a lot of wasted potential
>>
>>321530523

Every Nintendo console is rife with wasted potential, given that Nintendo has a history of filling in only a select few developers (who are typically either fully or partially owned by Nintendo) on how to take full advantage of their hardware.
>>
>>321531067

This desu. The NES had extra sound channels in Japan, but they never decided to update the Western models for example.
>>
>>321531067
It doesn't help nintendo tends to burn bridges with third parties on a regular basis.
If they'd even just sell off some of their old IPs like pokemon snap to a third party developer the wiiu could have some really good games.
>>
>>321531884
Actually, it was an on-cartridge chip that added the extra channels, and that shit always makes things just expensive enough that you don't go slapping it on every game that isn't guaranteed to sell - like Castlevania.

The reason Yoshi's island in the SNES has the best graphics of any game for the system is also because of an add-on chip that allowed it to perform vector graphics for all the "flexible" objects in the game, as well as more advanced sprite transforms. Again, no one except the A-team at Nintendo could justify the use of something like that if it didn't have the word Mario somewhere on the box.
>>
>>321531884
Was the Nes mono or stereo?
>>
>>321532429
no, the famicom literally had more sound channels than the NES.
they took it out in favor of anti-piracy shit in the west
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 470x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 470x400
>>321532836
You are somewhat mistaken. The extra audio chip was on the cartridge, but due to a different pin setup it can't actually pass the audio data to a NA console. With a bit of handywork it's still possible to create a passthrough and mix the audio back in.
>>
>>321530523
It seems it was only used mostly for text or static elements, since it was expensive power wise and ran like shit for everything else.
>>
IIRC a bunch of games like Secret of Mana 1 used it mostly for displaying text.
>>
Fuck, what was the name of that SNES airplane game that could only be emulated through Higan properly due to some high-res scanline bullshit?
>>
>>321536460
air strike patrol
>>
>>321533491
You don't have to bother with that passthrough bullshit if you buy an ENIO or solder a single resistor inside your console
>>
>>321537908
Ah, yes, thank you.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.