[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people spending $60-$4,000 for virtual knives Literally...why?!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>people spending $60-$4,000 for virtual knives

Literally...why?!
>>
>>321476460
yes
>>
supply and demand, the core of any capitalist economy, no matter how small and insignificant it may seem
>>
E-penis measurement.
The larger, the better. That's what women like, right?
>>
>>321476460
To show off
>>
>>321476460
They want it and the can afford it.
>>
>not saving for retirement by investing in knives
>>
File: 1442275924382.png (117 KB, 513x597) Image search: [Google]
1442275924382.png
117 KB, 513x597
>>321476561
>supply and demand

lmao it's not even real, shit can be made infinitely
>>
Because they're fucking stupid. There is literally no reason to spend that much money on a Damn knife in a video game.
>>
>>321476712
no it can't, do you have any clue how these items work? there are an extremely finite number of these knives compared to how many people want a knife, and the higher tier skins are even more rare

you can't just buy csgo and "produce" knives
>>
I wonder if hats have been used for money laundering.

I wonder how many CS:GO/Dota 2 teams have scammed hundreds of thousands of dollars from betting.
>>
>>321476841
it's literally just a bunch of polygons inside your computer box, all they have to do is say 'make more' and there you have it
>>
For special snowflake status of course.
>>
>>321476852
there are a lot of videos on youtube about csgo betting and the involved scams

there are no legal possibilities right now for people who get scammed because it's digital, but there might be soon because of the sheer dollar amount that some peoples' inventories are worth

it's not unusual at all to see people with several hundred thousand dollar inventories, some sort of money laundering wouldn't surprise me
>>
File: Picture of me 77.png (274 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Picture of me 77.png
274 KB, 480x480
>>321476852
>mfw friend of mine got fired from burgerking for trading free burgers for skins on cs:go
>>
>>321476841
Are you for real man? That's exactly what the dude was saying. These people could create more at any time. They choose not too so they can make money.
>>
>>321476994
but valve doesn't, that's why the supply is low, they make a cut off of steam market transactions, people literally pay valve to transfer pixels and data between accounts

do you think they're going to artificially increase supply and throw all that away?

and something not being tangible doesn't mean it's intrinsically worth nothing, have you ever heard of information brokers and the like? stop looking at the world with your junior high school goggles, every day people pay millions of dollars for things that aren't tangible or "real"

are you being retarded on purpose?
>>
>>321477136
I'm talking about the players, not valve themselves

see
>>321477249
>>
>>321477136
who are "these people"
>>
>>321476994
I'm not sure if you realize but hats->keys in Valve games have been a more stable currency than Bitcoin for many years.

>>321477054
I also wonder how many times people have found exploits to get infinite free hats and abused it. I once had a chance as simple as buying the same chest over and over and selling the contents in real-time for more than the chest, I only had fifteen minutes before the chest went off sale but I got 50$ in steam wallet and 100 10 cent items (initially my wallet only had 5 dollars).
>>
>>321477136
There you go. Artificially lowering the supply to create demand. As long as valve decides to keep it that way the knives will be worth $$$.
If Debeers suddenly decided to open up it's supply diamonds would be worthless compared to what they are now, diamonds are a lot more common than they are made out to be.
>>
File: hiding.jpg (57 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
hiding.jpg
57 KB, 640x427
>>321476712
her derderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderderderderderderderderderderederderder
>>
>>321477249
>Look how smart I am!
>I implied you're in middle school, burn kid!
All while pretending you know anything about economics.
>>
>>321477465
congratulations, you managed to copypaste derder for 7 lines.
Happy?
>>
>>321477505
good comeback, thanks for proving my point

my points are perfectly valid
>>
>Start off with $20
>Decide to start going on those shitty gambling sites
>Win $80 on first try, dance around with winning/losing
>End up losing and have $10, decide to enter elite pot
>Win $700 with $10
>Enter next one, win $800
After that I sold around $300 on the steam market and traded/bet the rest, but kept .004 M9 TT
Sold the knife on opskins after every comp game I'd be in would have some kid who was infatuated with me and my shitty knife
>>
>>321477391
there used to be a way to dupe items back in the day in tf2, people duped a lot of buds, but valve fixed that by adding hidden item ids to every single inventory item in tf2 and they use that same system for everything else now

I would imagine some valve employee with the knowhow could technically create a bunch of dragon lores and karambits in his inventory but I think it would assume it would raise some red flags at valve hq
>>
>>321477910
>but I think it would assume it would raise

what the fuck did I just type
>>
I recently checked, and according to steam, I've spent about 200 dollars on skins/keys. When the new revolver case came out, I figured if I got one, I'd open it. I opened it up, and got a knife that was worth about 330 steambux. Sold it, and spent 100 dollars on more keys and cases. So prior to opening this case, I had spent 100 dollars on keys and cases, which is fucking absolutely ridiculous. After I spent that 100 on opening cases and didn't get anything worthwhile, I decided to stop opening cases, spend the rest of that money on games. My new rule is I only open cases the week of their release, and only if I get one in a drop.
>>
>>321477429
>>321477136
>>321476712

you people are fucking ignorant morons

valve gains nothing by keeping supply low, because at the top dollar amounts people don't use the steam market

the trades are done through unrelated third parties on third party websites, valve gets 0 cut from any steam transaction unless it's done on the market, and no one buy a 2 thousand dollar knife off of the market for two reasons:
1. the person posting it would have to give valve a huge cut of that
2. the person buying would have to have that much in their steam wallet, which no one in their right mind has that much in their steam wallet

all trades with this much involved are done outside of valves influence, so they gain literally nothing by keeping supply low, stop posting about things you know nothing about

now that I think about it, if they wanted to make money off of this it would make sense for them to increase supply, that would drop the price enough that people would just use the market so they could take a cut
>>
>>321478645
>valve gains nothing by keeping supply low
they get more people buying the cases off the marketplace
they get more people buying keys to get their shot at a knife

they end up making a hell of a lot more than the individual knife traders.
>>
>>321478801
they don't make anything from keys and cases

people buy keys off the market, not from the in game store, valve gets like 20 cents from a key sale

most crates are 2 or 3 pennies, so valve gets a penny if anything, and crate sales aren't even that big since they drop like candy and people just give them to friends usually to get them out of their inventory
>>
>>321479109
>people buy keys off the market not from the in-game store
are you retarded

this is a serious question
>>
>>321479109
I'm with anon above. Are you retarded?
SOMEONE bought the key to begin with, and just a random guess, but I'd say at least 30-50% of the keys are sold through the market, which means Valve gets to double dip.
>>
>>321479638
>>321479214
they don't do it any more, but valve used to give people a free key every christmas, that almost a million keys a year going into the economy for free

most people who have keys don't use them, they're used as an alternative to the steam wallet as a digital currency

yes, they still make key sales, but not anywhere near as much as people think, not any more
>>
Who cares. People will spend retarded amounts of money on anything even if it doesn't restrict game play. So just pay whatever you want on games you enjoy and don't worry about it because whales are gonna whale.
>>
>>321479909
when did they do this

i would have a few free keys for whatever game you're talking about, but i don't. never used them either, since i didn't ever open cases until CSGO came out.

i think you might just be a fucking idiot desu.
>>
>>321479214
there was a time when a tf2 key sold for less than the store price on the community market, famalam
>>
>>321480942
That time is not now nor is it relevant to the csgo economy.
>>
File: keys.png (40 KB, 900x344) Image search: [Google]
keys.png
40 KB, 900x344
>>321480942
>there was a time
Still happens, the price goes as low as 2 bucks on the market
>people selling it for more than the store price
But why
>>
>>321476852
Valve discovered a group of Russians using tf2 earbuds as currency for illegal goods a few years ago.
>>
File: 1384450003947.png (81 KB, 210x255) Image search: [Google]
1384450003947.png
81 KB, 210x255
>>321483047
>>people selling it for more than the store price
>But why
Take a guess
>>
Capitalism you little bitch. Don't like it? Piss the fuck off.
>>
>>321483704
>people buy it anyway

JUST
>>
>>321483979
FUCK
>>
>>321484123
MY
>>
>>321484190

no.
>>
>>321476460
That blade is like twice the length of the grip. How is it supposed to fold back?
>>
>>321484341
It melts in the flesh, being a candy knife and all.
>>
>>321480037
They gave away a single untradable key to everyone one Christmas. Fairly certain they only gave it away on that one Christmas.
>>
>>321476460
things are only worth what people will pay for them
>>
>>321486036
I guess I should specify Dota 2 did not exist yet (obviously CS:GO didn't exist either)
>>
>>321477465
GRAET post wow
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.