[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's so bad about filters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: RetroArch-0106-051730.png (48 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0106-051730.png
48 KB, 1920x1080
What's so bad about filters?
>>
>>321466232
It's fucking ugly and ruins the art direction.
>>
Shit looks all blurry.
Directdraw without filters looks crispy good.
>>
Nothing, old farts are just jealous that you can make them look better than when they played it.
>>
>>321466232
Nothing. Just don't fill to screen.
>>
File: Metroid II (3).jpg (134 KB, 638x572) Image search: [Google]
Metroid II (3).jpg
134 KB, 638x572
>>321466232
Nothing. I love triggering /emu/ autists though.
>>
>>321466232
if you want to play pixelshit it's ok but i don't see the need to make it look like even worse to be honest family
>>
File: 1270200886672.jpg (55 KB, 400x426) Image search: [Google]
1270200886672.jpg
55 KB, 400x426
>filters
>>
>>321466421
Depends on the game and the filter.

Do you really think devs want their games limited by hardware?
>>
>>321466232
Nothing, altering the aspect ratio is disgusting though.
>>
>>321466232

the art was designed for the sprite. when you filter it, some of it looks ok (like the trees) while other things get blended to shit and look different, or strange. Also it fucks text to hell and back.
>>
>stretching
>filters
Ayy
>>
People always say that using filters shits all over the art design but it's not like those sprites were ever intended to be viewed at the resolution people typically emulate them at either, where they look all pixelated and shit.
I mean, more so than usual.
>>
>>321466232
The only acceptable filter is one that emulators the video signal to the display.

Even ones that emulate older displays tend to fuck things up, and anything that outright smears or smudges the screen is unacceptable.

Pic related, Blargg's NTSC filter. Is configurable in many ways but has the main aim of reproducing S-Video, RGB, and SCART video outputs.
>>
File: scan-vs.png (783 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
scan-vs.png
783 KB, 1536x1024
>Playing games without scanlines
>>
>>321469537
This and that Sonic waterfall are the only things that benefit from scanlines,
>>
>>321469537
Why an example without the color?
>>
>>321470135

Because last time I posted it with the color, people started flinging shit saying it only looked better on the right because the colors were better, nothing to do with the scanlines.
>>
>>321467568
Games being limited to old/bad hardware becomes a software problem, you don't use new hardware to fix a software problem. Using a 1080p LCD TV doesn't mean that your grainy VHS tape from 1997 is now suddenly HD.

>Do you really think devs want their games limited by hardware?
All hardware has limitations you asshole, what the fuck are you babbling about. Any dev worth their weight would make great games that work around these limits, like they've already done thousands of times over.
>>
>>321470349
So you took the bait.
>>
>>321467568
No, however they don't want those pixelated sprites to try and look like blurry drawings and fail. If they could just would just update the existing games with HD sprites which would look very different from filtered old sprites.
>>
>filters
At least try to act 18 OP
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.