[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just started playing pic related as my first souls game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 32
File: ds2-1418310781.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ds2-1418310781.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
So I just started playing pic related as my first souls game. How do I git gud it? Really is hard as shit.
>>
Play dark souls 1 first you bumbling retard.
>>
I was actually considering making a similar thread. What's a good SUPER casual pve build to tackle the game and the dlc content that even a scrublord like me can handle.
>>
>>321461340
Why? It's not like I'm autistic enough to actually understand the story.
>>
>>321461360
Use greatswords and wear a chloranthy ring and the prolapse shield (blossom kite shield). Read the wiki.
>>
>>321461541
To gain a profound comprehension of the gameplay and then complain when dark souls 2 fails to live up to 1. You made the right choice OP
>>
>>321461229
>2
>as my first souls game

saged and filtered
>>
Theres massive input lag so try to predict the best action
>>
>>321461904
bullshit
I got SotFS back in april and played with 360 and Xbone controllers, no input lag. There's input queuing like in DeS and DaS, but not lag.
>>
I really want to finish this game again, but I've never played with Greatswords/UGS. What are some good ones? Anything like the DBS?
>>
File: ayyyy.jpg (88 KB, 1279x797) Image search: [Google]
ayyyy.jpg
88 KB, 1279x797
>>321461229
>So I just started playing pic related as my first souls game.
Why? The game is shit.
>>
>>321462472
Because I'm bored and want to play something I haven't played yet. Just beat KOTOR 1 and didn't feel like going to KOTOR 2 immediately after. Saw it was on sale and thought why not.
>>
>>321462848
>Saw it was on sale
And now you know why. Good games don't receive huge discounts just because a Jewish baby was born ages ago.
>>
>>321463046
DaS1 goes on sale every other month for 2$.
>>
File: JRPG Protagonist.jpg (46 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
JRPG Protagonist.jpg
46 KB, 500x331
>I just started playing pic related as my first souls game.
I want to cry every time I see this.
>>
>>321463046
>game goes on sale
>this means the game's bad
/v/ everyone
>>
>>321462472
Lords of the Fallen is such a fucking slow and clunky game.

I can't get into it at all, which is a shame because it's absolutely gorgeous.
>>
>>321462145
There is, but it's not massive and it's hard to notice playing with a gamepad.
>>
>>321461229
uninstall 2 and install 1
>>
You git gud by keep playing.You learn monster patterns, iframes on dodges and everything else by constantly using it. There is no cheap trick to getting gud, you'll just eventually beat it.
>>
>>321463273
Buy another copy. You may have found a faulty copy with invalid Denuvo id.
>>
>hard as shit
That's not the only attribute it shares with shit
>>
>>321463273
Instead of implementing gameworks into a gane they implemented a game into gameworks. This is Lords Of The Fallenm
>>
Is it worth upgrading to SotFS for 10$? Does it change the game that much and are the DLC's worth it?
>>
>>321461229
It's not hard at all, the game just punishes your own mistakes very well.

Level up ADP for maximum invincibility frames when rolling, heavy armor is not very useful, your weapons will degrade really fast keep some replacements at hand.

Finish DaS2 before playing other souls games, so you can form your own opinion about it, instead of parroting old memes, like the rest of this board
>>
>>321463530
>Does it change the game that much
there's some cool things and nice changes like getting the ember way earlier, but it's not going to be huge unless you've played DaS2 to death already.
>are the DLC's worth it?
for sure
>>
>>321463627
Thanks for being actually helpfull man.
>>
>EVER playing the sequel before the original
>in a series well-known for having a mediocre sequel
I just don't understand, why would you buy the one that everyone says not to buy?
>>
>>321463627
Finishing Dark Souls II before playing the other games won't help him form his own opinion any more than playing them in order would, it simply keeps him from forming a informed opinion.
>>
So do I buy this or what? I played Bloodborne, enjoyed it, Dark Souls I've tried playing several times but just couldn't get into it.
>>
DS1 is actually harder. DS2 just circle the bad guys and roll diagonally to the front when needed.
>>
File: catdog.jpg (190 KB, 874x299) Image search: [Google]
catdog.jpg
190 KB, 874x299
What I don't get is how people can think DS2 is complete trash but believe DS1 is GOTYAY or whatever. If you don't like DS2 as much that's fine, but the games are roughly about 95% similar, how can you hate what's essentially more of the same but a bit lower quality.
>>
If you just circle strafe 90% of the enemies (including bosses) they won't be able to hit you.
>>
>>321464041
He also bought Lords of the Fallen just because /v/ told him it's shit. You can sell any shit to contrarian idiots and they will be happy to support you. It's a great age to live in.
>>
>>321464283
What actually is it that people don't like about DS2?
>>
>>321464172
Get the SotFS version. If you don't already have DaS2 and you buy it without SotFS you're a fool.

It changes up item placement, places dlc access items at places in the game that make sense difficulty-wise, and adds a bit of other stuff. Read the wiki if you have questions when playing.
>>
>>321464172
Environment detail/design wise, is a step below Dark Souls and Bloodborne, it's also a tad slower and smoother game overall, if you liked the fast combat from Bloodborne I doubt you are gonna like this.
>>
>>321464283
>a bit
also, it's probably because when a game is good, the sequels are expected to be at least as good, if not better
>>
>>321464172
It's pretty much more of the same so if you didn't like DaS1 you won't like DaS2
>>
>>321464452
It's not fun.
>>
>>321464572
>if you liked the fast combat from Bloodborne
Now that I think about it, that's probably why I don't like DS much.
>>
>>321464697
Good argument.
>>
Play through das2. If you like it, get the dlc and play it again. Adds more storyline and changes a lot of stuff. Then get das1 with dlc and enjoy that. Then get demon souls if you got a ps3.
>>
>>321464452
Common issues I see are;
World design being much weaker. It even doesn't make sense in 3 dimensions, unlike DS1 where the world was very carefully put together.
Fast travel available from the start
Weapons no longer have unique movesets
Overabundance of knight bosses (though personally I find these tend to make for the best boss fights anyway)
>>
>>321464718
You could try making a low equipment weight build, but then again, without vials and stuff like that, it's not gonna feel the same
>>
>>321461229
>playing 2 first
You're triggering me anon
>>
>>321464283
People hate the game because it's vastly worse than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls in almost every department, which is the worst way a sequel can fail, especially when it brings nothing new or interesting to the table. This isn't a case of being unliked because it's "different" like some sequels, it's just worst.
>>
>Get ADP to 20 as soon as possible.
>After ADP, END is pretty much the most important stat for a while. You want dat stamina.
>Blunt weapons like maces are very powerful in Dark Souls 2 because a majority of enemies are considered armoured, and are more vulnerable to blunt damage than anything else.
>The heavier your equipment compared to your max equip load, the worse your roll is. You're pretty much fine as long as you're not doing the terrible "fat roll" where you just sort of chuck yourself onto the ground. Armour helps very little in Dark Souls 2 compared to the first, and even in the first you didn't want to fat roll, so wear lighter stuff if you need to. Aside from making sure not to fat roll, you can pretty much just wear whatever you think looks cool.
>>
>>321464172
Then you'd definitely hate DS2.

>>321464572
It definitely is not.

>>321464283
>the games are roughly about 95% similar
That's just ignorant.
>>
>>321464041
>>EVER playing the sequel before the original
Can we stop this meme?
Video games are one of the few mediums where it's acceptable to play the sequels first, because the sequels are almost always different/better in terms of gameplay. Not to say that Dark Souls 2 is better, of course.
>>
>>321465184
In some cases yes, but DaS 2 and 1 are so similar technologically it doesnt work.
>>
If you guys aren't sure if you want to play the game why not just look at videos of gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owz9dYZeD7Y

For example, one of my more favorite places in the game. The guy's got a super high SL and playing a high hp ultra greatsword + shield build, so don't think things will be as easy as they are for you as they are for him when you play.

>>321465071
Better pvp, better netcode (same 2 reasons I guess), personally more satisfying new game plus due to changes when on ng+, and much more visually appealing. It isn't spectacular in the sense of having the world building and cohesion DaS had, but do you seriously think DeS is better? I'd say DaS > DaS2 > DeS
>>
Dark Souls is the only Souls game where bonfires, healing flasks and teleportation are done right. It's the comfiest and most adventurous game of them all, that's why you should play it first.
>>
>>321465478
It's a shame that they're streamlining the games so much now. They're going back to DaS' Estus system for DaS3, but it looks more like BB otherwise. Just a linear action game with warping from the start and a hub you always warp back to. They're still fun because of the great level design, art direction, and gameplay, but they've thrown away a lot of what made Dark Souls great.
>>
I started the game too
So many fucking enemies in the forest
>>
So basically this is a game about rolling around with a clunky input lag and heaven forbid you have more than 30fps.

Smashfags and soulsfags, autistic retards that think poorly made games are great!
>>
File: fuck my eyes.png (359 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
fuck my eyes.png
359 KB, 620x350
>>321465382
The graphics are incredibly way worse than DaS, and PvP is shit because of Soul Memory, shit covenants, and no eye orb. The reason people like the souls games is level design, boss fights, lore, art design, and atmosphere, all of which are dog shit in Dark Souls II. When you have absolutely no reason to play a sequel over the original, you have completely and utterly failed.
>>
>>321465478
This.

the Estus flask system in DaS1 was just perfect. when you run out of estus, you have to deal with the dilemma of

>1:using a rare and very valuable item to heal yourself,

>2: backing down like the coward you are and cash in your souls at the bonfire

>3: having huge balls and try to clutch through to the next bonfire with no healing items (this was by far one of the most fun and nerve-wracking ways to play the game)

meanwhile, when you run out of estus in DaS2:

>just pop a lifegem lol.
>>
>>321465782
>bloodborne
>linear
confirmed for never playing the game, BB is far less linear than any other game in the series besides DeS. There's a shitton of optional content and just speeding through the main game you will miss most of what it has to offer. BB also had the best level design by far.
>>
>>321465840
Just got past that, climbed onto some roof and a flying knight dude killed me in 2 hits. I'm enjoying myself so far
>>
>>321466047
nice to see.

Have a merry Christmas anon.
>>
File: 1450632261224.jpg (184 KB, 905x905) Image search: [Google]
1450632261224.jpg
184 KB, 905x905
>>321461229
>pic related as my first souls game

5/10 I am a little bit mad
>>
>>321465782
>but they've thrown away a lot of what made Dark Souls great.
Care to explain that bit? parries and backstabs are back to their original form, level design doesn't seem to be that linear

>>321465840
Just be patient and take on one by one
>>
>>321466174
You too, anon.
>>
>>321464452
>Soul Memory
>IFrame stat
>Stone Ring
>removal of the golfswing
>gear to negate backstabs
>Soul Memory
>Bonfire Ascetics
>Souls Memory
>majority of the bosses are a big guy in armor
>Soul Memory
>Enemies with Ridiculous Tracking attack
>Soul Memory
>Parry animation is stupid
>>
>>321466043
The level design is great, though I wouldn't call it the best "by far".

But it's clearly the most linear. The mandatory content is incredibly linear, and the optional areas are out of the way. You don't skip them by sequence breaking, they're just totally disconnected areas that you don't go to, with an arguable exception of Old Yharnam. Dark Souls has the most free-form progression, and Demon's Souls has a nice five-fingered path sort of progression, but Bloodborne is mostly linear. I don't know how you could say otherwise.
>>
>>321464452

There are a few pretty legitimate reasons to dislike it

>A lot of the mechanical changes are a case of fixing what wasn't broken, like Soul Memory, enemies not respawning after a certain number of kills, the armour mechanics, etc
>The overall level design and encounter design are worse than most of Dark Souls
>The world design and lore are also messier and less coherent
>Lacks the atmosphere of other Souls games
>The game overall has a tendency to drag on, it's the longest Souls game for a normal playthrough but not necessarily in a good way
>There are a lot more weapons, but a lot of them are pretty much the same (there are more weapons with fun special attacks and shit though, which I do like, as well as the existence of Power Stance in general)
>Bosses are somewhat quantity over quality, there are a shitton of them but a lot of them are quite samey and they tend to be less memorable/interesting than bosses in other Souls games, with a few exceptions

The level design is the biggest fault for me, it's just nowhere near as enjoyable to explore in Dark Souls 2 as it is in the rest of the series, and it's a bit of a disappointing sequel overall. However I do still like the game and put maybe 200 hours into it across both versions. While some people clearly dislike it for a reason, I think a lot of the exaggerated hate it gets just comes from the fact that /v/ has been circlejerking over how bad it is for two years, leading to a lot of confirmation bias.
>>
>>321466328
They should just remove backstabs completely from PvP until they can wrap their heads around making proper netcode.
>>
File: fucktyler.jpg (964 KB, 1672x1672) Image search: [Google]
fucktyler.jpg
964 KB, 1672x1672
>>321465918
>lore
>>
>>321466193
I didn't mean that the levels themselves were linear, just the game as a whole. It's constructed of a linear arrangement of less areas I guess. I'm not positive that's how it will be, but the level design looks the most like Bloodborne, and the map we've seen looks pretty linear.
>>
>>321465382

>Frozen Eleum Loyce is one of the best areas in the game
>Frozen Outskirts is one of the worst areas in the game

FUCKING WHY
>>
File: 1448807310906.jpg (141 KB, 1164x954) Image search: [Google]
1448807310906.jpg
141 KB, 1164x954
>>321466328
>removal of golfswing

out of all your points, this one stings the most

>trailers and beta gameplay comes out showcasing the zweihander
>the hype is fucking THROUGH THE ROOF
>that fucking amazing moveset
>that running r2 that launches enemies like 15 fucking feet
>game comes out
>animations are stiff and ugly
>"whatevs, the golfswing kinda still works I guess"
>patch comes out
>they remove the golfswing's launc effect
>everyone's faces when
>>
>>321465918
>shit covenants
This is the thing I disagree with the most here, especially compared to DS1. The only pointless covenant in 2 is the Way of the Blue, in 1 the Way of the White, Princess Guard and Chaos Servants were useless, while Gravelord Servant had a cool idea but didn't even work properly. All the good DS1 covenants are transported over and improved, except for Brotherhood of Blood not getting an infinite eye orb.
>>
>>321466328

>soul memory

Did you have to list it that many times just because you couldn't think up enough actual flaws?

>IFrame stat

You think you're entitled to iframes? You're not a scrub, are you?

>Bonfire Ascetics

Why is this bad? It just boosts areas into NG+ difficulty early.

>Enemies with ridiculous tracking attack

This isn't even true. You can dodge everything easily.
>>
>>321465918
Nice res screenshot.

How is pvp shit because of SM? The way I see it, if you keep getting more souls from beating people without the agape ring, you deserve to be fighting people who possibly have more of an edge level, item or skill wise. Think of it as a ranking system. That said, I'm not crazy about SM and I'm glad it's not going to be in DaS3, but it works. PvP is fun functionally, I've spent dozens of hours in the Iron Keep.

>no eye orb
Ah, so you can invade people with no effort at all. If you win a match in the arena in DaS2 you get a cracked red eye orb. Better system I'd say.

I think some of the covenants aren't good, but that's the same in DaS. Way of the white is ass in the same way way of the blue is. Blue sentinels could just be summoned in to anyone's game if they are being invaded, it would certainly make them more popular. Rat king is trolly and a more specific sort of gravelord the way I see it. Bell keepers are much the same but in a different pair of zones. Rewards for those two suck, sure, but the reward of ruining someone's life is reward enough. Dragon remnants are fine. Pilgrims of dark is fun the first time you do it. Sunbros are fine, especially the rewards. Company of champions adds a nice challenge if you don't decide to cheese it.

Level design isn't that poor in my opinion, but I will stick to the idea that the way the world links together is the problem people have with it. Areas like the shaded woods have great atmosphere, despite how brief they are. In fact, their brevity and their variety are wonderful and probably would not be able to happen if the zones connected together well.

>>321466682
I just end up making a beeline to the items I want and get the fuck out of there.
>>
>>321466404
Dark Souls is almost completely linear until post-lordvessel which is just a level select. I don't know how you can tell me BB has more disconnected areas than Dark Souls with a straight face, Dark Souls' final half is all disconnected areas, and the secret areas (painted world, return to undead asylum and ash lake) are ridiculously disconnected to the point of two of them not even being acessable by normal means. Dark Souls and BB are about equal in terms of quality, but BB is way less linear. Vicar Amelia can either be your second boss or your fifth, and then after that the game opens up the DLC, the forest, and castle cainhurst.
>>
File: 1429797136608.jpg (26 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
1429797136608.jpg
26 KB, 433x380
>>321467052
>actually defending the lack of a full eye orb
>>
>>321464283
It just goes to show you how much good level design matters in a Souls game. That and subtle tweaking of rolling, Estus, and poise makes gameplay far more frustrating than it needs to be.
>>
>>321467052
>their brevity and their variety are wonderful and probably would not be able to happen if the zones connected together well
this is one of the worst parts of dark souls II, it has no atmosphere and it doesn't feel like a world at all. It feels like a theme park or the mushroom fucking kingdom. Nothing makes any sense and it's just a mash of "cool" setpieces, simple area design (lava world, ice world, poison world) hallways, dead ends and shitty references to the first game.
>>
>>321465976
>>3: having huge balls and try to clutch through to the next bonfire with no healing items (this was by far one of the most fun and nerve-wracking ways to play the game)
Indeed and finding a bonfire was always more or less a very rewarding and comfy experience. Upgrading your estus flasks meant something, instead of just walking around with 99 lifegems in your inventory. DeS and Bloodborne got it worse because at times you had to farm for herbs or vials.
>>
>>321461229

If you got the DLC and plan on finishing it you might as well get real use to dodging attacks now over blocking with a shield.
>>
>>321467110

I can see where he's coming from but I think trying to compare the relative linearity of the games is just kind of pointless because they have fundamentally different structures. Dark Souls has more areas that wrap around and connect to each other between areas in unexpected ways, whereas Bloodborne has more non-linear individual areas and FAR more completely optional areas. They're non-linear in different ways.

Personally I think Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne are pretty much equal in quality, and tied for my favourites in the series, so I'm fine if DaS3 is like either.
>>
>>321467110
Vicar Amelia cannot be earlier than your third boss.

Dark Souls has no less than 7 possible first bosses after you reach Lordran. Everything before Sen's Fortress can be done in any order at all, and everything after Anor Londo can be done in any order as well. The only vaguely linear aspect of Dark Souls is going from Sen's Fortress through Anor Londo, with an optional secret area in Anor Londo. Bloodborne has that sort of linearity all the way through. Dark Souls opens up the world to you, while Bloodborne always has the next step locked away.
>>
File: Dark Souls map.jpg (1 MB, 2362x1677) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls map.jpg
1 MB, 2362x1677
>>321467110
The only post-lordvessel areas that feel disconnected are The Lost Izalith and the actual Lordvessel area.
I don't really see how you can make an argument for Tomb of Giants, Duke's Archive or drained New Londo Ruins are "disconnected".
>>
>>321466978
>Did you have to list it that many times just because you couldn't think up enough actual flaws?
I listed it several times because i fucking hate soul memory, you can't buy stuff from NPC's without getting your SM inflated and some armors are just from them
>You think you're entitled to iframes? You're not a scrub, are you?
>Entitled
Nigger, if i'm using light armor/naked i should be dodging better than a guy in a armor made out of stone
>Why is this bad? It just boosts areas into NG+ difficulty early.
Because it let's you reset the area boss and get stuff that you were only supposed to get at NG+
>This isn't even true. You can dodge everything easily.
Spear_Hollow_Soldier.webm
Alonne_Knight.webm
Salamander_Spitting_Fire.webm

it also had terrible hitboxes and shitty level design
>>
File: 1373080467157.gif (904 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1373080467157.gif
904 KB, 160x160
When was the exact moment you got gud at Dark Souls?

>Get to lower catacombs.
>No concept of using the lantern for light.
>SL. 30 with a +2longsword.
>Using glowing stones to slowly explore my way down
>Fight through everything light the bonfires and finally make it to...
>TOOO....
>A golden door I can't pass.
>I don't have the lord vessel, I can't even warp back
>My face when I fought my way back up through all the bullshit and the light of day touched my skin

It is where I went from being a simply cursed to a Chosen Undead
>>
>>321466328
>Soul Memory
Not really a problem.

>IFrame stat
Not a problem.

>Stone Ring
Not a problem.

>removal of the golfswing
Not sure what you're referencing here but you can launch people into the air and off ledges with an ultra greatsword

Actually a good thing

>Soul Memory
Still not actually an issue if you don't have OCD and/or autism.

>majority of the bosses are a big guy in armor
The best fights in Dark Souls are big guys in armour (Artorias, Gwyn, Iron Golem, Ornstein and Smough)
The majority of non-humanoid bosses are shit (Bed of Chaos, Centipede Demon, Seath, Gaping Dragon)

>Soul Memory
Still not actually anything that affects your first few hundred hours or playthroughs

>Enemies with Ridiculous Tracking attack
Because strafe left to win in Dark Souls was boring.

>Soul Memory
It literally doesn't affect anyone in NG

>Parry animation is stupid
You're fucking stupid.
>>
File: yCMwVpu.gif (2 MB, 500x262) Image search: [Google]
yCMwVpu.gif
2 MB, 500x262
>>321467828
fuck, that feeling is amazing. I had a bit of the same experience on my first playthrough

>go through blighhtown
>beat kellog's after a bunch of tries
>knew about the master key skip from the start, but didn't want to skip out on any areas, so I didn't pick the master key
>miss the chest with the new londo key like an absolute retard
>get to the new londo door just to find it locked
>"welp, guess that means I'll have to go back the same way I came from
>mfw clawing my way through blighttown, through toxic, poisin, club dudes and literal shit
>mfw finally hearing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6GK8HhjQQE again
>>
File: darksouls1-1225-610.jpg (62 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
darksouls1-1225-610.jpg
62 KB, 610x343
>>321467828
when i beat this crazy vagina monster solo after being stuck in that area for hours
>>
File: 1231092301283C.png (459 KB, 638x478) Image search: [Google]
1231092301283C.png
459 KB, 638x478
>>321468038
>not a problem
>doesn't think parrying animation is stupid
>defends bullshit tracking
>defending copypasting bosses like Ruin Sentinels and Dragonriders
>Defending Soul memory
>isn't aware that you cannot lauch peoples anymore with the Golfswing
Fromdrones cannot be delusional
>>
File: 2014-09-08_00004.jpg (578 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-08_00004.jpg
578 KB, 1920x1080
>>321469061
>isn't aware that you cannot lauch peoples anymore with the Golfswin
Did they remove it in Sotfs? If they did it's a bit of a shame but I know I primarily used it for griefing fight hosts (pic related) so I can see why they'd remove it.

>defends bullshit tracking
The tracking is not bullshit, it just means you actually have to block or roll instead of strafe left to backstab for free damage while invincible.

>defending copypasting bosses like Ruin Sentinels and Dragonriders
You seem to be reading words that I never wrote which is weird. Ruin Sentinels fight was hype as shit though. Besides that, Pursuer, Smelter Demon, Looking Glass Knight, Velstadt, Fume Knight and Sir Alonne are all excellent bossfight despite being 'just big dudes in armour'.

>Defending Soul memory
What exactly is your problem with Soul Memory? How exactly did it impact your playthrough in a negative way?
>>
>>321469061
Don't bother, strong DaS II defenders cannot be convinced of any of the games obvious flaws.
>>
File: 1377154666358.jpg (330 KB, 1568x1579) Image search: [Google]
1377154666358.jpg
330 KB, 1568x1579
>>321470285
>Actually defending DS2

Not the guy you are replying to but come on Anon
>>
File: 1450147175207.jpg (10 KB, 97x102) Image search: [Google]
1450147175207.jpg
10 KB, 97x102
>>321464283
>Bit lower quality

Let me put it simply for you, Anon:

They pushed for difficulty rather than engaging situations that just so happened to also be difficult.

That doesn't go to show that difficulty as a whole was largely ignored within the Souls series, but generally the games before this made a conscious effort to display normality in ways that were cohesive and interesting while carrying a sort of "realistic" take on damage so that difficulty would be a part of it in a way to have you better connect with it overall. It's like how the original trilogy of Star Wars didn't bother with explaining much. Since you don't have history, your character obviously can tell small tales through little item descriptions without interrupting the world that was nicely in tune with one another. That doesn't go to say that the series was perfect with this standard Lost fucking Izalith , but generally, everything in the world went together and made sense in a little way, with the designs not clashing together all too much.

Dark Souls II, however, is anything but in-tune with itself. It's like a collage of differently mashed together concepts that only got stuck in such a way just because. Difficulty is the design choice of every fucking area just because they saw the massive appeal that dudebros gave it and figured that was what made the series fun to begin with.

That's not even going into depth on how the ridiculous ways of pushing the standard core of the original two games into this heavy and weighted movement style absolutely fucks everything over in such a major way, especially given the poor enemy direction as well as the lack of understanding on how level design correlates with said enemy direction, as well as how the areas are so vague and uninteresting that it genuinely doesn't even seem like it's trying with how the Undead see their curse as well as how it affects them as a whole being the whole goddamn theme of the entire game.
>>
>>321461229
If you are new to the Souls franchise then there is literally NO reason not to start with Dark Souls 1 first. You think DaS2 is gonna be more relevant, look prettier or play better or something? Wrong wrong and fucking wrong nigga. Go play DaS1.
>>
>>321470285
Soul memory fucked me off, jolly co-operation is the big selling point of the game for me and after you help about 10 people you stop getting the connections
>>
>>321461229
>picked this up on sale
>16 hours in
>beaten 17 bosses, dying mostly 0/1 times on each
>level 110

Wtf is going on? I'm not even farming or anything, just exploring stuff, and ill probably end up sl200 after the final boss. I don't think this is normal.
>>
>>321470941
Any souls experience before this?
The first souls game is always the only one you truly struggle with.
I only had trouble with a single boss in DS2 apart from 1shotdragon, and that was the Royal Rat Authority until I realized you could just stand between his legs.
>>
File: IamAware.gif (2 MB, 360x200) Image search: [Google]
IamAware.gif
2 MB, 360x200
>>321461229
>So I just started playing pic related as my first souls game.
Oh neat, which on-
>see pic

FUCK

I'm sorry, anon
>>
>>321468038
>iframe stat isn't a problem

Terrible
>>
>>321471221
Yes, i have 100+ hours of ds1 (after making a no shields run on ng+6 i uninstalled and decide to try ds2).

But i still >>321471567
don't understand why im already so much overleved by playing normally.
>>
File: Woah!.gif (675 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Woah!.gif
675 KB, 300x168
>>321464283
we WERE TOLD BY THE DEVS it was a development nightmare

we WERE TOLD BY THE DEVS the engine didn't work out and they had to backtrack at the end

we WERE TOLD BY THE DEVS the backtracking fucked them up and they just scrambled around and glued a half-finished game together

we WERE TOLD BY THE DEVS the world has no rhyme or reason, (due to their fuck-ups) it's not coherent in any way

All of those things are outside of our opinions. Those are just some facts. Why would you even opt for that version when there is DaS1 that only suffers on the second half (and not nearly as much), or why not play Bloodborne that is polished throughout?

If you end up playing all games then do them in order
If you are only going to play one for now, then at least don't pick the worst example.

It makes 0 sense why OP would pick up DaS2, when there are 3 better games out there.
>>
>>321472165
110 after 100+ hours in is not ridiculous honestly. Especially since I assume you're not dying much/ever and able to spend all of your souls on levels and upgrades.
>>
>>321461360
Magic is the games secret easy mode
>>
>>321470462
>>321470462

>le difficult for the sake of being difficult meme

You're just too retarded to notice any actual attempt at proper enemy encounters. The game does have that. But the enemies are generally designed around the areas they injabit. That's why drangleic has stone soldiers, and why the royal soldiers have elemental bolts(fire for barrels, thunder for rainy environments), to name just two examples. It was intended to challenge new people and fans, and while it failed on some aspects like life gems, it delivered in other aspects. The DLC itself makes it abundantly clear that they know exactly what they're doing, since the structure of each of them shit on everything from DaS and AotA.
>>
only bring up your shield when you think you are going to get hit, then lower it back down so your stamina regenerates quicker.
sounds simple, but so many people can't figure this out and just get blown out constantly
>>
>>321461360
STR and a mace/club
>>
All the same OP
People complain about "muh ez pz ds2" but fail to remember by the time you play ds2 you've beaten the shit out of ds and des and are operator as fuck in the souls games
Enjoy and have fun playing a good game OP
You're only mistake was coming here to post this
>>
>>321470941
>>321471221
What kind of build do you guys play? I am a Souls "veteran" but this game is kicking my ass. My autism prevents me from going anything but knightmode for my first playthrough but the game is honestly getting on my nerves with the fuckton of enemies everywhere and shitty rolling. Feeling the temptation to just reroll a dex build is rising more and more.
>>
>>321466043
Complete Bullshit, it's easy as fuck to wander into side areas. But as someone else already said, you didn't play the game :)
>>
File: 1423531035009.jpg (1 MB, 2302x3493) Image search: [Google]
1423531035009.jpg
1 MB, 2302x3493
>>321474234
>operator as fuck in the souls games
Fuck yes
>>
>>321473056
This, FROM basically outright said that it's the best they could salvage from a nightmarish project.
>>
>>321473556
not if you're planning on playing the DLCs.
>>
>>321474280

Most of the Majula blacksmith weapons are great. Mace and Bandit Axe are very popular for str builds, and rapier and Estoc are great too.
>>
>>321461229
Use magic.
>>
File: bastard.jpg (78 KB, 600x1025) Image search: [Google]
bastard.jpg
78 KB, 600x1025
>>321467828
>Died to this bastard a few times
>Deathly scared of him
>Try to take him on with parrying
>I miss
>He hits me, scared as fuck, run away and estus
>I parry, adrenaline pumping.
>I parry again, adrenaline still pumping.
>Parry
>Parry
>PARRY
>>
Had SOTFS in my library since forever and finally decided to start playing it and haven't put it down since... I really must say that DX11 didn't do a whole lot to make the game not ugly.

Also, the game seemed a lot easier than I remembered so I started burning those bonfire ascetics. Yeah, don't do that.
>>
File: 1426990975165.png (14 KB, 528x530) Image search: [Google]
1426990975165.png
14 KB, 528x530
>>321464283
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbT03r_9Zo
>mfw all those lies and cut content
>>
>>321466978
I'm with you on everything except the bullshit tracking enemies lots of them do
The most memorable one is the red spirit before the executioners chariot (the horse boss, I think that's its name)
He has an ugs and has an attack that jumps and swings down, if you roll to the side while he's in the air he'll spin in the air and swing down on you.
But yeah everything else is on point
>>
>Bullshit tracking
This has to be the worst complaint. With the exception of the salamanders, enemies don't have bullshit tracking, it's just strafing doesn't work nearly as well as it did in DS1 so you need to time your rolls more carefully.
>>
>>321474830
> I really must say that DX11 didn't do a whole lot to make the game not ugly.
Yeah, the game still has some beautiful places, but some areas are plain ugly

>>321474896
Thanks consoles
>>
>>321464080
>it simply keeps him from forming a informed opinion.
Kek.
>>
>>321464452
well for me personally, the problem i had is that the whole base game felt like the bad part of the second half of 1.
it just seemed like it was missing a lot
the game isn't bad,and it definitely plays better, but i just thought it wasn't terribly interesting outside a few things.
>>
>>321464041
The original was Demon's Souls. Are you saying Dark Souls was mediocre?
>>
>>321474975
>DS2
>need to time your rolls
>rolls can have enough invincibility to completely roll through magic or any kind of attack
>don't even need to try to avoid it if you don't feel like it

Yeah nah. DS2 is piss easy compared to DS1 or Demon's Souls. Everything about it is kinda half-assed.
>>
>>321464208
>DS1 is actually harder.
>DS2 just circle the bad guys and roll diagonally to the front when needed.
How is that different from DS1 except for the diagonality?
>>
>>321475189
Obviously I mean technically. Total newcomers may not be aware of DeS, but if he bought Dark Souls TWO he is aware that there is a predecessor but he willingly bought the sequel first.
>>
>>321475271
DaS 2 can be harder at times but I don't like saying it is. DaS II is only ever more frustrating, the actual difficult parts never feel fair or fun with the exception of Fume Knight and Sir Alonne.
>>
>>321467696
Vicar Amelia is the second boss, dumbass.
>>
>>321475692
Alright, friend.
>>
File: lards of the fatten.png (110 KB, 798x388) Image search: [Google]
lards of the fatten.png
110 KB, 798x388
>>321462472
>LotF

lol
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 798x30) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7 KB, 798x30
>>321475794
I don't want to waste $10.

Also will SotFS go for 75% off or should I buy it at $11?
>>
>>321465382
i was pretty excited on ng+ when i got attacked by falconers, but altogether i feel they could have done some better stuff to make the second playthrough more interesting
>>
>>321475996
No daily/flash deals this time, check greenmangaming
>>
>>321472165
>on't understand why im already so much overleved by playing normally.
Since Adaptability (the replacement for Resistance) is finally useful and Endurance is split into Endurance and Vitality (while Vitality became Vigor), you have 2 more stats useful to spend levels onto unlike in DaS. Also, since the damage scaling in DaS2 is generally shit so you never do a ton of damage to enemies, even the later ones, I guess that's balanced by throwing more souls at you, so you can increase your general damage not just by focus on one offensive stat, but different ones.

All in all, it might have been for encounter balance with the changes to scaling and some stats.
>>
>>321475996
Steam fucked up early in the sale, the upgrade was 93% off
I picked it up for 1.99
Felt good as fuck
>>
>>321475794
That game is so bad. They did a good job of making it look nice, but they also clearly had a hardon for WoW and also American comic books which are stupid on their own but combined become a whole new kind of cancer. Would have been big hit if it didn't suck though.
>>
>>321475996
You shouldn't even waste the 15gbs.
>>
Get a broadsword.

Upgrade it.

Keep your equip load under 50.

Level agility as much as possible.

Get a second broadsword.

Win the game.
>>
>>321461229
So i wanted to play this with a faith build.

But all the spells seem to be absolutely useless compared to wacking things, even though i put quite the amount of stats into faith.

I mean i only have 3 charges of that lightning bolt and it does less damage than my melee weapon.
And the cast speed leaves you open for a while too.
>>
>>321467696
Gascoigne --> Vicar Amelia
Cleric Beast is optional
>>
>>321463627
wow actual advice
>>
>>321476365
You can't get the Hunter Chief Emblem without killing Cleric Beast.
>>
File: 1450919115413.jpg (214 KB, 1080x1677) Image search: [Google]
1450919115413.jpg
214 KB, 1080x1677
>>321461229
OH SHIT! All those hours on my ps3 with you fuckers giving me shit for playing the "inferior" version... those were the times...

Is scholar of the first sin any good?
>>
>>321476365
You can't access most of the cathedral ward without opening the gate. The only way to get past it is to get the emblem, which you need to kill the Cleric Beast for first, or to go around via the Church Workshop, which only opens after killing the Blood Starved Beast.
>>
>>321476474
>>321476546
Oh, that's dumb.
>>
>>321476332
Faith spells were pretty useful when it was released, it wasn't long before they were nerfed into the ground
>>
>>321476149
Forgot to add. Since Attunement also adds to Agility and spell casting speed, that's another stat that is more interesting to level up than in DaS1 for casters. You also have to consider that since fire damage for pyromancy spells and hexes also scales with int+faith, that's even more stats to spend points into.
>>
>>321476501
On PC, I guess. Been playing it for the past ~40 hours and haven't really seen the new content yet but at least it has DX11 features. Also it's quite a bit different so you're not quite playing the same exact game you might be used to.
>>
>>321476332

FROM nerfed FAI into the ground after finding out that even shitters like DSP could beat the game using only those lightning spears. It's unfortunate because it's now the shittiest of the three magic types unless you looooove all that extra, unnecessary healing.
>>
>>321476606
Hm back at release i actually played through the game with the classic heavy armor/shield knight build.

I wanted to try a magic run for once and i reskilled into a hybrid mid run because faith seemed just too weak.
I dont even use any spells at most bosses anymore.
I guess i should have gone for pyromancy or hexes instead.
>>
>>321476731
Didnt PC had a bug about weapons breaking all the time?

I would like to try it but already spent too much this christmas, I'll get it once its on sale again
>>
>>321477018
The speed weapons broke at was somehow related with your fps if i remember correctly.
>>
File: 1450836217402.jpg (34 KB, 489x488) Image search: [Google]
1450836217402.jpg
34 KB, 489x488
>>321473778

The DLC was a concentrated effort from the entire team that wasn't forced by Namco's bullshit and also dealt with topics not intricately entwined with the original game save for a choice character that was debateably important before this. They were pretty obviously going to be good considering the fact that they actually took good care of the original approach that the intro cinematic set up for the game, which was handled in the core game in the most obtuse manner possible.

I do notice the attempts at enemy placement, and mostly those do show promise, but enemy placement doesn't handle well when the enemies themselves are genuinely throwing bullshit into your face. To name examples since you did just the same, there are the Undead Dogs who have no reason for being inside of the Gutter that have a automatic hitbox that comes out even before the animation plays. There's also the classic examples of enemies still blocking just as they're attacking you as well. Not to mention the fact that they're also examples of how some enemies don't give a genuine fuck about your movement and force an endless stream of combos upon you that you can barely/not even get through (Guardians to Chariot, Drakekeeper with Mace, Old Knight with Mace, etc.).

There's also the fault about tracking in most circumstances, but I'm not even going to open that can of worms since that's a fickle matter to begin with.

It was a definite challenge, but just not in the way that was really well-developed.
>>
>>321477018
>>321477204
That was patched after the release of SotFS.
>>
>>321477018
Weapon durability goes down twice as fast since it's tied to the framerate and PC plays at 60 FPS instead of 30. It was problematic in the beginning, I could barely even make it to the next bonfire without the weapon almost breaking, but since the first area I haven't really had any problems with it. You learn not to hit stuff unless you have to, or using your off-hand to smack walls or whatever.
>>
>>321467761
Lost Izalith is more connected than Dukes, ToG or Anor Londo, since you can enter it from through two different pathways

really though, the nebulous pathways of DS1 take a downhill turn once you reach Sens. While Sens and Anor Londo are quite complicated in internal design, they don't connect to the other zones very well
>>
>>321467828
Quelaag. First boss that really required me to completely learn her moveset and not cheese her
>>
>>321476952
Lightning Spears were pretty powerful against dragons, I don't find magic in Souls games to be fun at all, having a physical fighter + pyromancy as a backup was pretty nice, hexes required a heavy investment in int/fai and attunement to be compatible with a quality build
>>
>>321477352
So those who had it at 90fps got royaly fucked a lot? Shit I cant even imagine using R2 with that fragile spear...
>>
>>321477656
Sadly, framerate is capped at 60
>>
CRACKED RED EYE ORBS
SUCK SO MUCH ASS
>>
File: 1436428047853.jpg (159 KB, 450x502) Image search: [Google]
1436428047853.jpg
159 KB, 450x502
So /v/. I recently got Dark Souls 1. Playing it since this morning and i'm at Blighttown.

When does this game get hard? Game is pretty fucking easy so far, i'm wrecking pretty much everything with my upgraded longsword (Capra 1st try, some dragon thing in the baug first try, Gargoyles 3rd try, some green moth thing 1st try), is Dark Souls 2 harder?
>>
>>321477581
Well i just wanted to try something new, since i always used melee exclusively in all souls games.

But yeah i am not actually having all that much fun with it right now, one reason is that you cant kill things as a pure faith caster because of the very limited ammount of spell charges.
>>
Guess I can ask this here. Was pate or that other guy the good one?
>>
>>321477791
Stop worrying about how god damn hard it is, Jesus.
>>
>>321477791
Oh. It's that guy from yesterday.
>>
>>321477791
Stop reposting this shit.
>>
>>321477791
Summons and wikis do make the game much easier.
>>
>>321477818
Yeah, and it doesn't help that the use-recovering plants are pretty scarce at the beginning
>>
>>321467828
same exact thing happened to me.
i was there for a whole day.
it might seem terrible, but it was honestly what i was hoping dark souls would be like.
>>
>>321477950

It was left intentionally ambiguous, but Pate was the good guy until the very end, so it feels like he's trying to cover his tracks. Creighton seems too stupid to be a runaway serial killer.
>>
>>321461541
it's not about the fucking story. dark souls 1 is just a better game. dark souls 2 is garbage in comparison, also by the way, dark souls 2 is easy as fuck. every boss is some form of a large humanoid who you just get behind and stab in the ass while they're waving around like retards.
>>
>>321470941
you level up pretty quickly in this game.
i'm usually about 80 or so once i get to drangleic.
maybe it's to make up for adp
>>
>>321478115

Not used a single summon. Not read a single wiki
>>
>>321478693
All Souls games are easy, mate.
>>
>>321478805
>i'm usually about 80 or so once i get to drangleic.
How much time do you spend on Things Betwixt?
>>
>>321478693
That's what you do in dark souls 1 too....
>>
>>321478934
i fly through the game pretty quickly man.
i don't grind or anything either.
also i don't upgrade anything except weapons
>>
File: meh.png (348 KB, 833x389) Image search: [Google]
meh.png
348 KB, 833x389
Yea I enjoyed DS2. The thing I both hate and love is the bigger availability of Titanite slabs in DS2 compared to 1. In 1 the most you could get of regular slabs was usually 2. 3 if you played through DLC, and 1 of which required completeing a characters quest line which shit could easily go wrong. Don't even get me started on finding the colored slabs.

I was going to get all achievements but the grind is just killing me. Maybe I'll get back to it. Maybe not.
>>
>>321478601
Pate seemed to try to lead you into traps though. You get one of his items at one point and the description said that it was probably stolen from someone else and then customized for Pate to use. Creighton seemed like he got stabbed in the back too but he seemed like he was also some kind of thieving vagrant. Killed Pate when I saw them fighting, then decided I didn't trust Creighton either but the way he pleaded made me think that was the wrong thing to do.
>>
>>321476332
>>321476885
I wrecked face with the lightning spear and sunlight weapon as a melee cleric build. Had one heal on me and one bolt, rest of spell slots were just random utility. Later on my jabs were doing around 500 and it attacks quickly enough.
>>
>>321471567
This is a good thing, if they decide to play any other souls game it will only be better than the last.
>>
>>321476332
do str/fai.
from really messed up miracles on this game.
even when the update notes said they were going to buff them, they ended up nerfed
>>
>>321479367

That's nice and all, but when consumable lightning buffs are more desirable than a fucking buff spell that requires 40 FAI, you know there's something wrong.
>>
>>321479257
So that's not your screenshot, I take it.
>>
File: 1451091763294.jpg (1 MB, 1842x1529) Image search: [Google]
1451091763294.jpg
1 MB, 1842x1529
>>321461340
Actually no, DS2 is a much better starting point. DS1 is harder and the UI is more clumsy. For beginners DS2 is the best choice. For instance, you don't have to deal with Humanity, or World Tenancy and there are less bosses that are total bullshit mechanics-wise.

Skeleton not exactly related.
>>
>>321479912
yea it is. Should have clarified. I meant all achievements in DS1. I have lie all but 5 but they're all weapon/scavenger hunt related so grind grind grind. Plus following the wiki step by step to make sure I get spells from proper people at proper times so they don't die/go hollow.

All too much for me honestly. Maybe I'm just a bit burnt out on DS.
>>
>>321465032

>weapons no longer have unique movesets

Objectively wrong.

>unlike DS1 where the world was very carefully put together

It also feels like it could fit in a shoebox.
>>
>>321479305
Pate makes it pretty clear that all the areas ahead are traps, despite the likelihood of treasure ahead. Plus if you save Creighton and open the treasure chest, its trapped and her certainly laughs at you for that. Never actually saved Pate though so the chest could be the same either way
>>
>>321467828

When I spent 5 minutes in the engine and realized that 80% of the enemies I'd face I can just circle around and kill.
>>
>>321480748
yeah it's trapped even with pate.
that whole storyline just seems like it's missing a few things.
>>
>>321463339
Spotted the retard
>>
Yesterday a friend of mine wanted to buy a game, I said him Dark souls was on sale, he wanted to purchase ds2, I said him to fuck off and get the first because it was cheaper and better.
>>
File: Maldron the nice guy.png (236 KB, 262x490) Image search: [Google]
Maldron the nice guy.png
236 KB, 262x490
>>321461229
>How do I git gud it? Really is hard as shit.
Not that hard to me OP. But this fucking guy though
>>
>>321478817
That's bullshit, capra demon fucks you If you don't know anything about the boss because the dogs blocks you in 2s and then comes the jump+stunlock from the boss.
>>
>>321483227
Not that poster but I legit beat capra my first time without summons or looking it up
I did cheese his ass though now that I know better and look back on it. I got lucky and got the black knight from the black knight and ran with that from that point on
When I first ran in there I ran to the stairs by instinct, killed the dogs up there and drop r2 on capra and fucked up like 1/2 of his hp and finished him off from there
>>
>>321480748
>>321480926
Just decided to do some reading up about it. Seems like others feel similarly to what I was thinking. Both Pate and Creighton are low lifes who were in their own quarrel. No matter who you supported, one guy tries to get you killed through traps and the other is most likely a serial killer from Mirrah, though he never does anything to harm the player. There doesn't seem to be a 'right' answer.
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.