[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>spend over an hour on a run meticulously constructing my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: FTLSlider2.jpg (23 KB, 616x353) Image search: [Google]
FTLSlider2.jpg
23 KB, 616x353
>spend over an hour on a run meticulously constructing my ship for best potential success
>reach the flagship while only taking damage 3 times throughout the entire run there
>miss every shot and don't even neutralize flagship's shields
>get destroyed without doing jack shit
shitty games general?
>>
File: That Showed Them.png (71 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
That Showed Them.png
71 KB, 800x1200
get gud faggot
>>
Apparently your meticulous craftsmanship wasn't enough. Missiles are a huge huge help against the flagship next time you play
>>
It is a pretty shitty difficulty spike. I'm not complaining about the difficulty at all (I want it to be hard), but rather the sheer difference in difficulty between the penultimate sector and the flagship. You could put the spike anywhere else in the game, too, and it wouldn't be as bad - but to put it there is just terrible.

This game isn't a roguelike, but I'll compare it to actual roguelikes. Good roguelikes don't put such spikes in there; they recognize that you will die a lot, and that it makes sense to weed out completely unfit builds long before the end.

In FTL, you might as well quit if you don't have an amazing build for the final boss. Yet, unless you've gotten to it countless times or cheesed your build with a guide (RNG helps here, too), you wouldn't even know what a good build feels like. And, getting to him countless times with good builds is just tedious, as the earlier sectors will be piss-easy,

In short, having such a difficulty spike at the end of this "roguelike" is terrible game design.
>>
>>321377909
>implying theres a difficulty spike
>try using engi ship B faggot
>get gud
>>
File: 3453452.jpg (55 KB, 1043x930) Image search: [Google]
3453452.jpg
55 KB, 1043x930
>use stealth
>charge weapon to drain shields
>glaive beam about 3 rooms and get the miss room broken

>repeat twice more

>"this game is hard"
>mfw
>>
>>321378971
So, you need to pick one single ship out of how many early options to avert the spike?
>>
Maybe if you either had teleporters or missles you could, y'know, git gud. Have you played enough to actually learn anything?
>>
>>321379479

Um OP? I almost killed the flagship with the starter vessel. Sure I didn't complete the game but its definitely doable without powergaming
>>
>>321376397
>terrible run taking constant damage
>some of the worse guns in the game
>spend almost all my money on repairs
>last area before flagship pick up repair drone and have a shit ton of drones to launch
>easiest boss fight ever

The game ins't that hard, but rng is a huge factor you are better off doing runs as fast as you can because you are more likely to win a game by doing 3 runs in an hour than 1 run in an hour.
>>
>He fell for the RNG meme
It doesn't matter how good you are. If the game decides it wants you to lose you will lose.
>>
>>321376397
>>miss every shot and don't even neutralize flagship's shields
sounds like you had a bad setup

seriously
>>
>>321379057
>finding Glaive beam
>penetrating lv4 shields
>>
>can win with any ship with just basic lasers and cloak
Thats it. Doesnt matter the ship or what else happens during the run.

As long as you know how to save money and when to spend it, you can easily get four (or whatever the max for that ship is) lasers and cloaking every single run.
>>
>>321379986
The starting ship is surprisingly good, way above average.

But I agree, the spike is retarded and you have to either

a) prepare for the final fight from the very beggining hoping not to find a ship that abuses your weaknesses.
b) get the best possible run and hope is good enough for the final boss

I sometimes win just because RNG was on my side even when I'm not playing seriously.
>>
>>321380313
ur fault for not earning enough burst lasers mk 2/ vulcan to get rid off of the shields
>>
>>321380678
Silly anon, I mean't
>penetrating lv4 shields with Glaive Beam

>Even finding Glaive Beam is hard
I've only found it 1/30 runs man, and even then I couldn't buy it
>>
if you seriously cannot beat the flagship with every ship by learning from your mistakes and planning ahead, you suck fucking dick at games
>>
>>321380801
>I couldn't buy it
i scream a huge FUCK ME SIDEWAYS when something of the sort happens; i know how it feels
>>
Literally only 2 viable builds on hard

>Gunship
Get shit loads of lasers and flak canons and fire them simultaneously

>Boarding
Get boarders and level them up. Teleport them in and disable weapons or kill crew.

Ion guns suck
Beam lasers suck
Weapons that need to rev up are shit
Drones are only viable on engi ships
>>
>>321381009
Beam lasers are good when combined with flak, then again it is because the flak are just that OP and not because the beams are good by themselves.
>>
hey /v/, how do i cheese the ending boss
>>
>>321381904
>repairs
>stealth
>Flakk cannons
>Boarding the enemy ship to kill crew members
>Missiles
>>
>>321379479
most ships don't even have a chance on normal, when you get stealth you have a decent chance of beating the flag ship
>>
>start game
>go to next point
>boarded by 5 mantis

wooooooooooooooooooow
>>
File: 14.jpg (343 KB, 856x1920) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
343 KB, 856x1920
Eat shit. FTL is good.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.