[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: mario_kart_8_upsidedown.jpg (578 KB, 1200x666) Image search: [Google]
mario_kart_8_upsidedown.jpg
578 KB, 1200x666
Is this a good game?
>>
It's the best Mario Kart.
Don't listen to Double Dash babbies.
>>
For a casual experience, definitely. Don't even think about trying to play this game competitively though. Item system is too luck-based
>>
File: daisy_rides.png (372 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
daisy_rides.png
372 KB, 500x706
Its the best Mario Kart game yet. Fixed every issue Mario Kart DS and Wii had.
>>
it's very good
>>
>>321351723
150cc is firehopping heavy hell. Avoid at all costs.
>>
File: 1350665385467.jpg (51 KB, 321x320) Image search: [Google]
1350665385467.jpg
51 KB, 321x320
>>321351836
>>
No, only Wii U fags like it. Double Dash, DS and 7 are better.
>>
I played mario kart DS for tons of hours and gave this game a shot, but it didn't feel the same enjoyment. I just find the tracks really underwhelming and nintendo's incompetency to actually include the good ass balloon battle maps, it's literally just a square not a goddamn course.
>>
Arguably better than Bloodborne
>>
>>321353337
>I-I j-just didn't feel it

I like these kind of "arguments".
>>
Yeah, its probably the best Mario Kart. Fixed some of the balance issues from Mario Kart Wii / DS (there are still balance issues but its not as bad), has the best track list, best roster, replays, 200cc. The anti-grav stuff is cool because it subtly changes how you approach opponents/obstacles but doesn't completely fuck over how the game is played, so I like it.

The battle mode is shit but battle mode has been shit for a long time.

>>321353160
I get someone preferring DD or DS because they are kind of different beasts, but 7 is literally "Mario Kart 8 but portable and not as good".
>>
File: whoadude.jpg (135 KB, 650x850) Image search: [Google]
whoadude.jpg
135 KB, 650x850
>>321352886

>150cc is firehopping heavy hell.
You mean 200cc? 150cc is what 100cc was on Mario Kart Wii.

And he shouldn't avoid it because each new level you go up, the speed increases. Basically, if he only sticks to 50 or 100cc, he'll be playing the game in slow motion. Which makes the F-Zero levels kind of pointless.
>>
>>321353160
>Double Dash
Bland boring based around a mechanic that took more from the game than it gave
>>
>>321351836
All the "competitive" players play 150cc anyway, and 150cc sucks major ass once you've played 200cc.
>>
>>321353676
There's no consistent fire-hopping in 200cc. You'll actually slow yourself down fire-hopping in 200cc.
>>
>>321353807
>>321353676

>fire hopping

What does this even mean? Do you mean sliding/boosting?
>>
>>321353807
Yeah, it's great.

Fire-hopping is a shit mechanic.
>>
>>321351723

it's garbage

Don't listen to the autists who say its good, they were born after the PS2/Xbox era
>>
>>321351815
>>321353707
>I never actually played the game
>>
>>321351836
That's not even the problem competitively, with MK8 it's that there's not much you can do to improve. All you can really do is learn the lines and occasionally preserve momentum by Firehopping. There's no bigger measure of skill like Snaking or any convoluted shortcuts in MK8.
>>
>>321353978
Except it's not? Firehopping is the next best thing after snaking.
>>
plays and looks very good
would be perfect if the battle mode wasnt shit
>>
>>321354324

Snaking isn't really a skill either. Once you learn how to do it, it just becomes a necessary thing to keep up with all the other Snakers.

And no shortcuts in MK8? It has the most shortcuts of any Mario Kart game. Nearly every level has a shortcut (and sometimes 3-4). The issue is, if you play the game 'competitively', then you learn where the shortcuts are and use them every lap. Making them pointless except for laughing at people who don't know where they are.
>>
As someone who's played literally all of them, it's the best one hands-down.

It has the most varied tracks, the most challenging single player, the most balanced items (within mario kart standards), exceptional DLC practices including a game chaging new speed (for free), good online and runs at a constantly smooth 60fps.

It's a marvel of a game honestly.
>>
>>321353576
Yeah except 7 was released first and 8 just copied everything new that was added and added shitty anti-gravity that doesn't even matter. I got more of an anti-gravity feel from Rainbow Road DS than I did in any MK8 track.
>>
>>321353950
It's a physics abusing glitch that essentially makes it so you get more distance per any form of boost from drifts, mushrooms, stars, to even piranha plants. The real autists are masters of it in 150cc and if you don't get lucky with triple reds or some other lucky draw then you'll never win against them if you don't conform to their strategy.
>>
Best Mario Kart, especially with the DLCs
>>
>>321354552
MOST CHALLENGING SINGLE PLAYER?

TOP F U C K I N G KEK

It's the fucking easiest. There's rarely any blue shells and there's an item to defend blue shells.
>>
>>321354786
>implying blue shells are a good way to implement difficulty.

Oh and I didn't even mention how they removed the retarded way you could hold on to two items . It's finally possible to overtake the guy in first without blue shells, which, in turn, are the less damaging they've ever been.

200cc is tough, it's the hardest single player experience in MK easily. Of course every autist here will say it's piss easy because they'll never prove it but the point still stands.
>>
>>321355068
Single player is boring anyway.

It's more fun to play online with a dozen people constantly fucking each other over with ridiculously stupid item rolls.
>>
>>321355068
Man you have some shit taste. The 1 item thing is a fucking joke. You overtake the guy in first by getting good you fucking faggot.
>>
>>321355272
>adding insults to a shit argument

not how it works kid
>>
>>321355473
>calls him a kid
>discussing a nintendo game

wew lad
>>
File: 1429573319685.jpg (139 KB, 796x709) Image search: [Google]
1429573319685.jpg
139 KB, 796x709
>>321354552

MK8 is my favoeite MK game yet. But it has the easiest single player. Mostly because of all the improvements they did.

Item RNG is a lot more toned down, unlike in MKWii where you got two blue shells and three red shells on EVERY race. All the boost/slide spots allow the human player to pass the AI players. AI players have very predictable paths and patterns the human player can abuse. You can actually hit people with green shells because of improved physics and throwing. Levels are wider and longer, making it easier to avoid bumps and items. Bumps no longer stop you. etc.

The very things that make the game the best also make it way easier. But I'll definitely take good control and design over shit control and design.
>>
Other than the gameplay, it has some nice graphics. There's some really cool details too. Like that one yoshi who sings Totaka's song
>>
>>321351836
Playing Mario Kart competitively is stupid anyway, but MK8 actually is the most balanced Mario Kart in terms of items, both offensively and defensively.

In MK8, 6th through 12th place will likely only be getting stars and mushrooms, and you'll only see a blue shell once every couple races.

Also, you can no longer receive another item while dragging a shell/banana behind you, which doesn't allow first place to be the impenetrable fortress it usually is in the other Mario Karts (sans blue shell).

MK8 definitely is the most "skill-based" Mario Kart with very little randomness. That being said, it's Mario Kart, and jank does still exist, so be prepared to still occasionally get combo'd by 3 items in a row in first place.
>>
>>321356110

Mario Kart 8 still has the problem where second place is basically a death sentence. Everything below 2nd place gets endless red shells and first place just drives off into the sunset. So its still hard to get the person in first place. Just not impossible like in Mario Kart Wii.
>>
>>321352886
>Avoid at all costs.
Might as well play on 50cc.
>>
Sonic Transformed is better
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.