[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's up with MMOs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 430x299) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 430x299
>after 1 hour: level 10
>after 3 hours: level 15
>after 10 hours: level 20
>after 1 day: level 25
>after 1 week: level 27

This is why MMOs are shit.
>>
>free entertainment
>complains
>>
Pretty much.
I played that new Devilian game and got to level 25 after just 5 hours.
Then it took me 5 MORE hours just to get to 30. Took me about an entire day to hit 40. Quit after that.

MMOs are too time consuming for me IMO.
>>
File: image.jpg (258 KB, 600x573) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258 KB, 600x573
>>321296987
Here's some free shit anon.
What's the matter? Why are you complaining? ITS FREE
>>
>>321296920
Casuals like you are why games are shit. Also Coincidentally mmos.

Is the gameplay fun? Why does it matter what level you are?
>>
I just got a level per dungeon run and that doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon.

Feels good man.
>>
>>321296920

You can get to max level in SWTOR in a week.

I mean, if you arent a poorfag and can afford 15$ to sub.

If you cant, then try asking dad instead of mom for the CC.
>>
>>321296920
Play either Guild Wars 2 or The Elder Scrolls Online.

>TESO
It starts out like this. Levels 1 to 20 ramp up the amount of EXP you need, but after Level 20 everything evens out. Once you hit max level (50) You then have to level veteran ranks by exploring the other faction's zones. Each zone will give you one rank.

>GW2
Every level takes the same amount of work (Excluding level 1 to 2.) You can hit max level (80) in a single day if you know what you're doing.

Or, you could just play a game where levels mean nothing like Planetside 2 or Warframe.
>>
OP you've posted the most exaggerated bullshit scope of levelling I've ever seen. Most games, fuck that every game with a level cap over 50 should take about an hour to go from 24-25 or so. Where is this week bullshit coming from?
>>
>>321297296

i got bored of TESO at lvl46.
GW2 on other hand is probably the worst MMO i've ever played.

I have two accounts to sell if anyone interested.
Both were played 4 hours max, mine and my friends.
>>
>>321297305
WoW
>>
File: 1361879312085.jpg (7 KB, 167x144) Image search: [Google]
1361879312085.jpg
7 KB, 167x144
>>321297101

>2015
>not accepting fecal gold from strangers

Is free shit supposed to be bad? You can compost it to make fertilizer.
>>
>>321297380
>GW2 on other hand is probably the worst MMO i've ever played.

Could you explain why?
>>
File: Comfy_guy.jpg (53 KB, 197x190) Image search: [Google]
Comfy_guy.jpg
53 KB, 197x190
>>321297296
>TESO
Merry Christmas
>>
>>321297496

Easy.
I cant name a single good thing about GW2.
>>
>>321297620
You said you played for four hours. Something in that four hours must have made you dislike the game. Please explain your experience with the game to justify your statements.
>>
>>321296920
no the reason mmo's are shit is because they are single player games dressed up as a multiplayer game. MMO developers are some of the dumbest people on this planet. there's an entire genre waiting for the next big thing and they still pump out the same game year after year for a measly couple million bucks in a billion dollar industry
>>
FFXIV is lvl 1 to lvl 50 in 5 days and then another 4-5 to reach level 60.
>>
>>321297620
Come on anon, be fair. Give credit where credit is due.
The Non-Human Starting areas, music, artstyle and race selection in GW2 are all great. The issues with the game stems from the fact that it's all style, and no substance.
>>
>>321296920
Really it takes that long? Now I feel bad for complaining that TERA takes 7 hours from level 1 to max.
>>
>>321297414

25-26 takes less than an hour in WoW. You really don't know what you're talkingabout

(This goes for vanilla too)
>>
>>321297717

I didnt like a single thing about the game and it felt like a chore to play.
Story was so shit its like there wasnt even any.
Barely any abilities.
Despite hearing everywhere "GW2 is not grindy, its literally perfection leveling" it was probably the most boring and grindy leveling system i've ever met.
Leveling restricting is just full on retarded.

>>321297867

The only thing i can credit for is that different weapons have different moves.
But with so few i cant really care.
>>
>>321296920
>he thinks thats time consuming
You must be new to mmos. Classic everquest, level 43-44 ~2 weeks and once you get to 50 it takes more than a month/level. This worked out well because you didn't have to spend time grinding it out in a single area and there were a lot of things to do compared to todays themepark mmos.
>>
>>321298040
>Leveling restricting is just full on retarded.

There are no level restrictions...

Wait, are you talking about THE FUCKING TUTORIALS you get everytime you level up?

Fuck man, those are just TEACHING you about what you can do. You can actually do literally everything from level 1. That INCLUDES PvP.
>>
>>321296920

i dont really mind the MMO grind, as long as the JOURNEY is fun, with cool places to explore. the problem is modern MMOs basically treat the grind as an "afterthought"/treadmill to get to max level as soon as possible. wtf is the point of the grind if the bulk of the game involves raiding and other endgame stuff?

everquest classic was a fantastic MMO in my opinion. deeply flawed for sure, but the fundamental parts (dangerous world that requires cooperation, unique classes that offer both UTILITY and combat roles, obscure/interesting quests even if they were buggy as fuck, etc) were there.

i remember having such high hopes for MMOs around that time. if only they had taken those elements and built on them...instead, WoW came along and ruined everything with it's cartoonish theme park bullshit. fuck all you millennial faggots who ate up blizzard's feces like good little consumers. fuck you.
>>
>ITT: Newfags that don't know about real MMO leveling

When you spend 30 hours in a weekend to earn 3/4 a level like in EQ, everything else is baby mode.
>>
>>321298387

/thread
>>
>>321298267
>There are no level restrictions...

>lvl60 character
>go to starting area
>you are no lvl12

yeah
really
no level restrictions
at all
>>
>>321298743
>Allowing a veteran player who is max level to have fun and gain rewards from anywhere in the game instead of locking their rewards into one or two max-level areas.

Yeah, man. Real restricting.
>>
>>321297973
uhh,no
>>
>>321298387
>>321298568
By that shit logic old maplestory is the most hardcore game ever made.
>hours upon hours of solid grinding just to level up one time
>no other way to get significant exp past level 60
You would literally get 1% an hour after a certain point.
Padding your garbage game with a grind is retarded.
>>
>>321299090
if you want to farm items for crafting it's really fucking annoying to not be able to 1 shot everything just by looking at it
>>
Marvel Heroes has a better MMO model than these premiere MMOs. they're taking what premiere MMOs are trying to do, but failing and actually delivering a nice product that actually listens to its playerbase and delivers content.
>>
>>321299219
But farming crafting mats isn't a thing in Guild Wars 2.

It's WAY faster just to farm gold and then buy whatever mats you need. Also, any mats you should need are only found in dungeons, Fractals, or world bosses.
>>
If anything, neo-MMORPGs have way too fast leveling and way too much emphasis put into rushing to level cap.
>>
>>321297101
Did you just compare entertainment with shit?
>>
>>321299403
Too bad the endgame is so fucking boring that I quit soon after reaching max level
>>
>>321299470

this
>>
>>321299609
You JUST said you only spent four hours on the game you lying shit.
>>
>>321299896
there are many people in this board you know...
>>
>>321296920

No, MMOs are shit because the focus is put on the destination and not on the journey. Unfortunately, you almost never reach the destination (and even if you do it's disappointing) so you're left with a completely shit game.

The amount of grind isn't important. It's the fact that you play to grind what is the issue. When you play a normal RPG, you have a story to follow, quests are usually indepth and the entire game has more to it than "increase your level". When you play a MMORPG the objective is purely to increase your level, and every quest is designed to do this, and they're always the bare minimum needed to qualify as a quest.

This is why MMOs are shit. It doesn't matter whether it takes a week to reach max level, or 100 years. The games just shit and it's not fun to play.
>>
>>321299509
if the shoe FITS ahehehuehuehueheu
>>
File: reee.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
reee.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>321297117
>Casuals like you are why games are shit
CASUALS!!!

YOU ARE CASUAL IF YOU AREN'T WILLING TO CLICK WILDEBEASTS IN A FIELD FOR 30 HOURS!!! FUCKING CASUALS!!! WHY ARENT YOU AS "SKILLED" AS I AM!!!!! IN THIS WORLD, I AM A HERO!!!! I DEFEATED THE GREAT WIZARD OF GUNGEMOR!!!! I DID IT !!! I MASHED THROUGH MY ROTATION 5 TIMES AND DODGED THE RED AOE!!!! I GROUND A 4 STAM 4 STR LEATHER BELT BY MYSELF OVER THE COURSE OF 40 HOURS, AND IT TOOK WILLPOWER, DETERMINATION AND SKILL!!! IT'S NOT LIKE JUST ANY FUCKING MORON CAN PICK UP ONE OF THESE GAMES AND REACH LVL 60 BY PRESSING BUTTONS WHILE WATCHING GAME OF THRONES ON VLC!!!! IT'S NOT LIKE THESE GAMES ARE DESIGNED FOR THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR!!! THEY ARE HARDCORE GAMES FOR HARDCORE GAMERS LIKE MYSELF!!1 I'M A FUCKING HARDCORE, YOU'RE A FUCKING CASUAL, STAY THE FUCK OUT OF MY GAME YOU NOOB!!!! GO BACK TO YOUR TETRIS!!! GO BACK TO YOUR QUAKE!!! GO BACK TO YOUR <game that requires motor skills> YOU FUCKING DEGENERATE!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE A 200 HOUR GRIND TO REACH LVL 60!!! YOU ARE A CASUAL!!! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
I read some fag defending GW2 and I want to let you know personally that GW2 is fucking garbage. Take it from a GW veteran who played since Prophecies. GW2 should have NOT been part of the GuildWars franchise. It's a completely different genre of game with no respect for why the GuildWars name was popular in the first place.
>>
>>321300347
Yeah. GW2 is shit!
>no mounts
>scaled level areas
>shit skills
>>
>>321300347
here's how you enjoy gw2

>make a class that you enjoy as a concept
>queue up for structured PvP
>treat the game as a game you play when you want to do some decent MMORPG >pvp but you are too lazy to play an mmorpg
>quit playing when you are bored
>>
why is anything free somehow not able to be criticized?
>>
>>321297921
Given that TERA has some of the quickest leveling in the entire genre, yeah you should feel bad.
>>
>spend the first month doing 30 different dungeons getting to level cap
>now you're at the "real" game where you do the same 2-3 dungeons every day until you quit
This is why MMOs are shit.
>>
>>321297117

>Is the gameplay fun?

Its an mmo
>>
does anybody on this board even know what Champions Online is or is the game that dead?

i've literally never seen it discussed here in all my years of lurking
>>
is SWGemu worth playing?
>>
So, are you implying leveling is too slow or too fast?
>>
>>321297973
25-56 does not take 1 hour in vanilla wow. More like 2-3 hours.
>>
>>321303682
Read his post again.
>>
>>321296920
MMOs aren't about the combat, the story, the trading, the crafting, the challenge or the grind.

MMOs are about interacting with other people.

When there is grind, it becomes more useful to band together (party) in order to maximize exp gain, which requires some amount of interaction. When there is an auction house (or even just one-to-one trading), the best prices are obtained by trading amongst players which is another form of interaction. When enemies are difficult to beat, then again you have to band together to fight them. When the combat is straightforward, then you have more time to talk to people instead of focusing on the fight. When the best items are obtained by crafting, which requires materials obtained by gathering, then once more players have to interact. But if everyone can be a master craftsman, if everyone can beat any enemy, if the best exp is obtained solo or if the leveling speed increase from partying is not worth the effort of actually putting a party together, when almost everything is better vendored to NPCs than players, then there is no interaction anymore, everyone just solos. In that case, it's no longer an MMO, it's a singleplayer game with multiplayer option.
>>
File: 1449630759475.gif (795 KB, 245x168) Image search: [Google]
1449630759475.gif
795 KB, 245x168
>>321296920
>a week to gain two levels in the high 20s
>>
>>321297305
Original maplestory.
>an entire week to get 1 level around the ~60-70 mark
>>
File: PJA1X0Q.jpg (52 KB, 750x626) Image search: [Google]
PJA1X0Q.jpg
52 KB, 750x626
>6 months to get max level

I fucking miss 2004 vanillia wow and planetside
>>
What's the matter? Don't you like grinding, anon-kun? Don't forget to do your dailies.

At some point developers figured out that they don't need to make the game fun if they just make a ton of content and it's because you retards care about how many hours of gameplay something has.
>>
>>321304760
Need I remind you that the most popular MMO was an everquest clone that allowed you to solo level?
MMOs aren't about interacting at a basic level. They all force you that way eventually, but they don't exactly require you to do it.
That said the most fun I had in MMOs was shooting the shit with random people outside the main city dueling
>>
>>321305012
I'm pretty sure it didn't take me 6 months in vanilla WoW to reach max level.
>>
>>321303682

Playing vanilla private server as an undead warlock I went from 110xp into lvl 27 to 28 on an hour and twenty minutes. Try again faggots
>>
>>321305515
Warlocks are a class particularily fast at leveling, faggot.
>>
>>321305252
Some people did it in 10 days. But most people took several months.
>>
>>321305252
If you had a life outside of the game it did. When WoW came out people didnt just rush to the level cap. I was in a guild that was considered high level when I was in my 40s. It was a different world then.
>>
>>321305757
>>321305783
I'm aware of that. But I think (not sure though) it took me about a little over 3 months to reach level cap.
>>
>>321305215
>Need I remind you that the most popular MMO was an everquest clone that killed the genre forever?
You're hilarious, Timmy, but 4chan is a website where you need to be 18 or older to browse and post! Run along now, before you get caught.
>>
>>321306023
You have to keep in mind that you post on /v/. You are not the typical player. None of us are.

I was in college when WoW released. I set my schedule so I had a day free from classes every week. As it turned out it was Patch day so I lost that available time. I went out with friends on weekends. What time I had left was mostly spent in game and it still took me months to level up.

Now think about how long it took the average person that wasn't already a huge gamer.
>>
>>321306437
Well, I was still in highschool during that time so I surely had more free time on my hands.

>I was in college when WoW released
Dude, you must be ancient by now.
>>
>>321297296
How tf do you hit 80 in one day?
>>
>>321306861
I hit 80 on my necromancer in 14 hours just by doing map completion. Honestly, just do any dungeon available to you and there's one level each time you do so. A heart quest will normally give you 1/8th of a level, and events will give you slightly more than that.

If you just want to fast-blast your ass to 80 then save up 200 gold and get all of the cheapest crafting professions to 400. Each one gives you 7 levels.
>>
>>321304760
too bad it never works like this
people just power level alts in premade groups and as for economy it's already dealt with by botters
>>
>>321296920
>>after 1 week: level 27
you're shit if it takes you that long
>>
>>321307423
Grinding hearts got me from 41 to 44 in one day, i must be doing something wrong. I stopped playing though so it's whatever
>>
>>321307878
Keep in mind I was also farming Edge of the Mists like mad and doing the story dungeons as soon as they unlocked for me.
>>
Is this a thread from 2004?
Because leveling in MMO today is nonexistant and levelcap is where nerd think the game even begins
>>
>>321308001
I did the same with story quests but i have no clue what edge of the mists is
>>
>>321297010
>MMOs are too time consuming for me IMO.
no, it's a fact that they are time consuming. i avoid those games since they become pure grinding after playing it from the start
>>
>>321308358
A way more zerg-y WvW map.

You go around killing champs in order to cap keeps instead of just running in a capping points. Camps give you EXP, capping the keep gives you EXP, fighting enemy zergs give you EXP.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.