[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth it, /v/? Is there anything I need to know before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
Is it worth it, /v/? Is there anything I need to know before I get one? I've read the faqs and shit, but the information is all over the place. Never hurts to ask some more.
>>
you need the right firmware which is now ancient.
>>
If you have a 3ds on 9.2 or older firmware, yes (though methods to get CFW without Gateway card exist).
You have access to all 3ds games and the e-shop
>>
>>321289916
I'm pretty sure the released a patch last year that supports up to 9.2.0
>>
If you're on a system that can run it then you don't need it since you can just use CFW. Possibly the only advantage it has is being able to run 3DS files directly rather than needing to install CIAs.
>>
File: 1443804490911.png (128 KB, 473x473) Image search: [Google]
1443804490911.png
128 KB, 473x473
>>321289732
Yes Goy, buy a flashcart, support the market. Easy to install and use!
>>
>>321289732
It's bretty gud. Easy to set up and add new games too. Runs like a charm.
>>
>>321289732
Works.
>>
Does it work on New3DS XL?
>>
>>321290142
I've looked into this cfw method and, while I don't like to admit that I'm a dumb faggot, seems like it would be way easier to just spend some bucks and get a gateway
>>
>>321292086
Most likely not since firmware is 10.x.xx
>>
>>321292152
You will need to do the same faggotry with the Gateway.
Its not just plug and play like the DS cards.
>>
>>321292225
Well shit. What's this even good for, then?
>>
>>321292225
It's not like anything regarding the Gateway is difficult though, especially after set up.
>>
>>321292510
Originally it was the only method to pirate games.
It gave you access to an exploit which then got you to dick around with custom firmwares.

Now people backwards engineered it and found their own way to access the exploits without a chinese ripoff car.

>>321292613
Sure, but at the same time RX tools are as difficult to use, if not easier.
>>
>>321292663
I admit I know nothing about RXtools but if it's cheaper/free and =/- Gateway's difficulty then yeah OP may as well check into that.
>>
>>321292663
I see. I read some more stuff about this Rx tools and it does seems like a better alternative. Are there any drawbacks to this I need to know or something? Like that one game per card bullshit that old flashcards had or not all games working?
>>
>>321293269
There's no actual drawbacks. You can just download whatever you want, its no physical thing.
You create a special copy of the 3DS system that runs any sort of homebrew, including rom installers.

Simply gotta be sure to follow the guides properly. The hacking/homebrew general on /vg/ is usually really helpful with that, just make sure to actually check guides before asking stupid questons.
>>
My philosophy is: If you don't have a Gateway yet, CFW is probably a better option. If you already have a Gateway, might as well keep it and use it.

The main advantage of Gateway is being able to use .3ds along with .cia and homebrew .3dsx, essentially doubling the amount of games and shit you can store. The primary disadvantage is not being able to do AGB_FIRM for GBA VC injection.
>>
there is no way rxtools is easier to use than gateway, especially since you'll need to do tedious things like switch back and forth between region specific emunands to play different region games. Personally i just spent the $80 because i value simplicity.
>>
>>321293510
Cool. Thanks mate, you've saved me a lot of money on this. I'm glad I asked here before buying this on impulse.
>>
>>321293747
>especially since you'll need to do tedious things like switch back and forth between region specific emunands to play different region games
You definitely do not have to do that.
>>
>>321290142

god fucking dammit, I tried to install that fucking shit on my borthers' 3DS and not one of them was able to install CIA files. everytime some error occured
>>
>>321293714
>The main advantage of Gateway is being able to use .3ds along with .cia and homebrew .3dsx, essentially doubling the amount of games and shit you can store.

How exactly does this doubles the amount of games I can store?
>>
>>321293790
i read you had to do that in a pastebin somewhere, there were all these convoluted instructions and i'm the type of person to not want to bother with technicalities.

>>321294084
gateway uses a microsd in the actual flashcart that you store .3ds files on, the SD card inside your 3DS runs .cia files.
>>
>>321294084
>get a 64GB microSD for your Gateway and put .3ds games
>get a 64GB SD for the 3DS and install .cias
>>
>>321293187
Now I'm curious about RX tools. Is there a tl;dr of what it's about that you could give me?

Honestly, after initial Gateway setup, it is nearly as easy and simple to play with as an original DS flashcart. I think the only additional step is booting into Gateway mode, and that's only if your 3DS dies or you turn it off. Granted, I suppose you need an internet connection for that too.
>>
>>321294341
>Granted, I suppose you need an internet connection for that too.
No you don't.
>>
>>321294341
>Granted, I suppose you need an internet connection for that too.
There's an app that you can put on your phone to launch it offline as well.
>>
>>321294170
>>321294227

Ah, right, slipped my mind. I forgot they had another card.

While it does sucks that I'd need to keep cicling through games every so often, I don't think it's so much of a liability to warrant buying a GW
>>
>>321294493
Was it changed in a 'recent' update or something?
>>321294514
Really now? What is that app called? I rarely leave my house and even then, never bring my 3DS with me, but it could possibly benefit me in the future.
>>
>>321294580
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-gateway-3ds-loader-android.378234/
>>
What about Sky3DS?
How is it? Like, the price is so fucking high for piracy shits but I heard that you can use it on any firmware.

I might blow my salary on N3DS and Sky3DS if it's really good, since I can't wait for a next-gen GPU anymore.
>>
>>321294550
Like I said, if you don't have a Gateway, don't get one. If you already have one, might as well use it and get your money's worth. It still has potential uses that aren't completely trumped by CFW
>>
>>321294683
>android
Welp thanks anyway.
>>
>>321294580
Well, I have 4.4 sysnand, so I never needed an internet connection
>>
>>321289732
you only need a gateway if you have a new3ds. old3ds doesnt need gateway for cfw
>>
>>321294705
>N3DS

Why tho?
Seriously, If you have money to spare, buy a N3DS and just get games the legit way.

If you're on a budget, get a O3DS and just GW/CFW away. Isn't the tiny-ass stick the only advantage the N3DS has over the O3DS?
>>
>>321295284
I just want a shiny new thing, I guess, and probably a c-stick and a performance boost for future MH and other games, since I missed MH4 party.
>>
>>321295284
>Xenoblade
>>
>>321295284
It's far faster.
>>
File: Yuru Yuri 2 10 pic 2.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Yuru Yuri 2 10 pic 2.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
>wait to buy a 3ds until piracy is revealed
>wait some more because there is no interessing game
>finaly decide to pick one + gateway
>CFW get discovered right as soon as my gateway arrived
>>
>>321294761
There's one for iOS. Also I'm pretty sure you can use the profile exploit now. At least you can on New 3ds.
>>
You can get a N3DS XL on the correct firmware and install CFW

I did it myself with zero knowledge, it took me about 2 and a half hours start to finish. Here's the guide I used
http://pastebin.com/GndkNsXD

I spent $275 on the Majora's Mask Limited Edition N3DS XL and $20 on a 64gb microSD

Pretty good deal considering I can play 95% of the 3DS library for free

The hardest part is finding a good deal on a N3DS
>>
>>321297047
>buy a 3ds because hey why not
>realize I'm a poorfag who can't really buy games on this shitty country
>realize there's no way to pirate anything (at the time)
>3 years pass and I open up a dusty case on my house
>remenber I have a 3ds
>create this thread
>>
>>321289732
Sky3ds+ is the name of the fucking game if you want to do anything with a new 3ds. That, cubic ninja, and you're set.

Note the fucking + in the name, it's important.
>>
>>321295612
Worthless if you already have the Wii version.

Didn't they put the Wii version on Wii U eShop anyway?
>>
>>321297337

>majoras shitter edition
>not getting the superior monster hunter 3ds

Might as well shove dog shit in your mouth
>>
>>321300719
w/e you say senpai

monster hunter is boring shit and I have a hacked 3ds with an IPS screen

suck it
>>
>>321298309
Nice false information, shill.
>>
>>321295612
>Buying N3DS for xenoblade
>when wii is a thing
>when wii emulators is a thing

Anon...
>>
>>321301153

The whole point of buying a 3ds is to play video games on the go, silly.
>>
>>321292086
Japanese N3DS XL on 9.2 reporting in. Works. Good luck finding a N3DS on 9.2.
I still have my majoras mask n3dsXL on 9.0 unopened.
>>
>>321301471
>tfw have a japanese 8.0 N3DS and had order a japanese copy of OoT because the piece of shit old firmware didn't come with a web browser
>>
>>321289732
There was a point in time where the Gateway was worth it, but that time has long passed since CFW that allows for piracy has been a thing for half a year now. So, no. Just get CFW.
>>
File: dWPcX2w.jpg (180 KB, 1500x884) Image search: [Google]
dWPcX2w.jpg
180 KB, 1500x884
>>321301403
Fucking child, kill yourself

I'm kidding, I guess it's a good reason. I wouldn't do it myself though. Xenoblade is a good game, but not good enough to buy a whole console around it, I think
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.