[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exclusives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
Exclusives have, and always will be, an anti-consumer practice. Holding games hostage in order to sell said platform over other platforms. All games that can be multiplatform, should be multiplatform. Anyone who argues that exclusives are good for the consumer are fooling themselves.

Surely you anon, as a gamer, agree that exclusives should never be a thing if they can be avoided (which in most cases they can)

Does /v/ actually agree with me?
Or are you all a bunch of ignorant children?
>>
having only one platform to deal with means the developer can devote more resources to content and optimization

look, it took ten seconds for me to dismantle your argument.
>>
>>321279310
Are you a pc user by chance :^)
>>
>monopoly
>good
>>
>>321280629
>content
irrelevant to the platform
>optimisation
ie. cutting down on graphics because consoles are underpowered
>>
>>321279310
I'd go further.
Non-handheld consoles are unnecessary, because they are just dumbed down PCs. Anything that an Xbone, PS4 or Wii U can do, a PC can do better. You can even have the nintendo's gimmick hardware as peripherals easily.

Not only exclusives should go, but if consoles in general were abolished the world would be a better place. You'd only have to buy a single hardware to have access to all the vidya ever. It would have literally no downsides, as you would have access to all the games that you do now, in addition to every other platform's games.

Handheld consoles can stay, but they should also use a unified OS.
>>
>>321279310
sure let me just time travel to the star trek utopian future where everyone can just hold hands and be happy all the time :)
>>
>>321281121
What point are you trying to make?
>>
>>321281015
So you basically share Denis Dyack's opinion of how consoles should basically go the way of DVD-players. One spec that all of them cater/support.

But it's never that simple, and you'd have to upgrade that hardware to a new spec eventually unless you want shit looking like PS3-era graphics forever.

The real future of gaming is everything being streamed from a server, but the infrastructure and latency isn't remotely there yet.
>>
>>321279310
There's never been any point to consoles because consoles have always been tiny computers specifically made to play games, but now that cartridges are gone and technology has gotten better there's no actual justifiable reason for their existence, people should just be able to spend the same they would on a console on a small low-midrange gaming computer and be able to play anything and everything any of the three main consoles would. Only exception being if they wanted you to buy some bullshit peripheral like the wii u but that's fixable
>>
>>321280629
>having only one platform to deal with means the developer...
>developer

This point benefits the developer not the consumer.

>>321280701
I have a PC and a PS4 but still, what platforms I own is irrelevant to my point.
>>
>>321281306
>This point benefits the developer not the consumer.
Benefits the consumer in the manner that odds are higher that the game won't be a buggy piece of shit on release, which is becoming more and more prevalent by the years, especially on the PC platform.
>>
>no reason to buy a product except brand loyalty
>price goes up because no way to punish bad practice
>5000 girlgames HD remake instead of new products because no competition
>good
>>
>>321281280
No. They should just disappear completely. There should never be a fixed console spec, because it holds back progress.
>>
>>321279310
So all games should be available on all platforms and software platforms no matter what?

Then explain why AAA devns haven't put any of their last gen multigen titles on the wiiu?
>>
>>321281404
It benefits the portion of the consumer who owns that exclusive-specific console, not the consumer at large.
>>
>>321281439
If there isn't a spec then devs will always shoot for the lowest common denominator dictated by the market share, which is what's been happening regardless for the past two generations.

You don't set rendering budgets to be of that the minority own. Maybe crank some distance-related sliders and slightly higher texture resolutions(diminishing results), sure, but the core game won't change.
>>
>>321281432
You got it completely backwards. Today Nintendo first party games still cost full price even two years after launch, because Nintendo has complete monopoly on vidya on their consoles, and everyone wants to buy the first party games. With unified hardware they'd have to compete with all the other developers, and couldn't be able to keep their prices artificially high.

Locked down hardware ALWAYS makes things more expensive.
>>
>Or are you all a bunch of ignorant children?

This is funny because actual children grew up with the current industry which is dominated by third party companies like EA and Activision, who largely do multiplat AAAs.

People who complain about consoles having exclusives are young kids and teenagers who aren't used to it, but it was a common practice back in the day, both the Genesis and SNES had their own exclusives, and both consoles had amazing libraries, both different from each other. Multiplats were mostly shovelware, not the main attraction.

Not like today's multiplats aren't shovelware, but they're treated as actual good games by the current consumers.

Basically, keep crying OP. Maybe if you start a petition in change.org exclusives will cease to exist, who knows.
>>
The problem isn't exclusives themselves, it's when companies hold games hostage with under the table deals so that the publisher has no choice.

I say companies but let's be honest here, I really mean Sony because they're the fucking jewbags who do this shit all the time.
>>
>>321281591
>With unified hardware they'd have to compete with all the other developers
Other developers would actually have to one-up Nintendo on their own games first.
>>
>>321281591
no, your fanfic doesn't work. Proof : games on nintendo system that are sold cheap don't sell more.
Because despite what your childish brain want to believe, companies aren't forcing people to buy, people just happen to like good games.
>>
Boo hoo, more whining from entitled snowflakes.
>>
>>321281862
>>321282036
No one would pay full price if there were other actually good games on the Wii U. The fact is that it has only like 5-10 good games and they are all artificially held on full price.
Now if they had to compete with the hundreds of other great games from other platforms this strategy would fall in a week.
>>
>>321281235
unless every game company in the world comes together and says "hey lets all make every game for only one system that everyone has" the whole anti-exclusive idealism is pretty fucking far fetched
>>
>>321279310
ITT:Mustard and Total Asscancer worshipper circlejerk
>>
>>321281862
Nintendo doesn't exactly set the bar high.
>>
>>321282249
Yeah because they had so much problems on NES, SNES, N64, Wii
>>
>>321281740
That was when consoles were actually unique hardware wise. Now they all use slightly modified laptop hardware from the same company.
>>
File: lol.jpg (538 KB, 1134x1508) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
538 KB, 1134x1508
>>
>console company spends money designing and producing a video game
>goes all out to try and make something worthwhile to make people want the console

>forced to port it to the other consoles and PC because OP is a crybaby who's feefees got hurt

Exclusives happen because Sony/MS/Nintendo pony up the cash for them, or because the developer is a guy with RPGMaker if PC exclusive. No exclusive cash/braindead pc dev tool, no game.
>>
christmas is near, stop posting console war thread. stop it.
>>
>>321279310
Guess I'm an ignorant child
>>
File: You keep using that word.png (464 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
You keep using that word.png
464 KB, 540x720
>>
>>321282593
>N64, Wii
Those had awful third party support.
>>
>>321283059
Nintendo btfo yet again
>>
>>321281740
>both the Genesis and SNES had their own exclusives
Sure, but that was in a time when games would come with hardware upgrades and different connectors. Now consoles and PC's use the same hardware architectures, connectors and physical media.
>>
>>321280808
>the only way to measure a the quality of a game is by graphics
Kill yourself.
No seriously, just hang yourself.

>>321282697
There is still a difference between having to make a game that works on one certain box compared to having to make a game that works on 1000 different boxes.
The later one having massive downgrades in gameplay, content, QA, polish and so on as consequence wince you can only have so much people work on a project and when half of the team works on making sure it runs everywhere, that there are advanced graphical settings, that its optimized everywhere, that it takes advantage of each platform feature, you only have the other half to actually work on the game.
>>
>>321283059
Wouldn't it be easier to type EXCLUSIVELY NOT ON WIIU?
>>
File: 2444589-ouya_22884.nphd.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2444589-ouya_22884.nphd.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>321279310
I agree OP. As an Ouya owner I demand that every modern video game should be playable on an Ouya or they shouldn't be released at all because not making every video game available to every console is anti-consumer.
>>
>>321283574
>As an Ouya owner
rip
>>
>>321279310
Have you heard the word competition? Nope? Go read a book then you stupid piece of shit.
>>
>>321283574
>not making every video game available to every consol
What does that have to do with owning a doorstop?
>>
>>321282756
console exclusives happen for a lot of reasons

in Sony's case, 9 times out of 10 it's because they use their money to strongarm the publisher into going exclusive
>>
this is just another bayo2 thread, isn't it?

>fucking Nintendo and their kiddie shit rehashes! fuck all that garbage
>HAHA Nintendo is doomed! they'll be forced to drop out of the console market and only make games! soon I'll play zelda and mario on my playstation! we did it boys!

you people have some serious mental deficiencies
>>
>>321279310
Is this copypasta? I feel like I've seen this before.
>>
That would mean companies like Nintendo should make games for their competitors.
>>
>>321279310
While I agree with you OP and I'd love exclusives gone, it won't happen. I'd be fine setting for a timed exclusives and rereleases on other platforms at later dates (with fixes/adjustments as necessary).
>>
>>321284391
Nah its just mustards repeating the bullshit that comes out of their god king's cancer infested asshole.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.