[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looks like the Rift is going to cost quite a bit more than p
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10
File: Rift CV1.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
Rift CV1.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
Looks like the Rift is going to cost quite a bit more than people have been expecting.

Here are some tweets from Palmer Luckey:

Tweet 1:

>Reminder of something I have talked about before: VR will become something everyone wants before it becomes something everyone can afford.

Tweet 2:

>Future advancements and high volume will make VR available to everyone eventually, but 1st gen will be mostly early adopters.

Tweet 3:

>Extreme means like selling at-cost to ensure maximum market growth are not enough to align cost and desired price.

Tweet 4:

>Multiple custom VR panels, high end optics, and an endless list of specialized hardware and manufacturing techniques add up.

Tweet 5:

>The cost of development hardware that was sold at a loss using many off-the-shelf components is not a good comparison.

Tweet 6:

>It is no coincidence that Oculus will lead this reality check the same way we led this VR revolution - 1st to market is hard.

Tweet 7:

>There are a lot of people who expect to spend a couple hundred bucks and use their existing low end laptops.

Tweet 8:

>We are taking some big steps to make sure people know what they are getting into - we don't want to sell to people who don't.

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/679907802962214912
>>
599 US DOLLARS
>>
>Rift releases at $350-400
>Can buy any other VR plus the platform it's on for the same price
its ded jim
>>
>>321270124
>>Can buy any other VR plus the platform it's on for the same price

Is that platform any good though?
>>
VR is the "motion controls" of this gen. It's a weak fad. People already got bored of it.
Personally, I think Holograms are the real next big technological step.
VR is nothing more than putting a screen up your nose with motion controls and gyroscopes integrated.
>>
>>321270263
I tried out Getaway on the PSVR and if it's actual games and not just waifu sims you're after, that's the one to get. Getaway looked pretty good and ran like a kenyan, fun and a lot of attention was paid to the small details and technology.
>>
>>321270317
>VR is the "motion controls" of this gen. It's a weak fad. People already got bored of it.

reminder that the motion controls 'fad' was big enough to overwhelmingly outsell every other 7th gen console and have every other company try it, to varying degrees of success
>>
>>321270082
What if Sony released PlayStation VR at a reasonable price and knocked the Oculus Rift out of the park?
>>
>>321270124

You really, truly think the PSVR is going to be $50-100? If so you are fucking nuts.
>>
>>321270497
Yes. And look at it now. Nobody gives a shit about motion controls anymore.
And as the guy in the OP said, VR will be too expensive to be as successful as motion controls.
>>
>>321270616
I just said I playtested it and it's going to be $119.99.
>>
>>321270616
Or you can buy a system bundle for $449. It will come with The Getaway and Driveclub
>>
Is StarVR the best VR that's coming out? It has double the resolution of the Oculus Rift and they haven't said a word about using a DRM store.

>Their StarVR headset is an HMD that is capable of a 5,120 x 1,440 pixel resolution and an even more ridiculous 210-degree viewing angle.

>Each headset is said to feature twin 5.5″ QHD displays, which help deliver not only the high resolution but the viewing angle as well. This should offer a display big enough to cover a user’s peripheral vision and even full eye movement. We’re also told it will operate at a 90Hz refresh rate, which is great for those that are worried about nausea.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/starvr-vr-headset-5120-1440-resolution/
>>
>>321270574

PSVR will be the first mainstream VR setup, but it will be inferior to the Vive/Rift by a mile.

Oculus and Valve/HTC seem to understand that they're going after the niche enthusiast market so I don't think they wish the PSVR anything but good luck. They aren't targeting the same market.

>>321270725
>>321270824

Then either you're full of shit and have no source or credibility, or they are going to be selling them at a massive loss.
>>
>>321270940

The problem the StarVR has right from the jump is that there isn't hardware you can even buy to run that resolution at a solid 90fps. Dropping even a few frames in VR makes you sick as fuck.
>>
>>321270945
>Then either you're full of shit and have no source or credibility, or they are going to be selling them at a massive loss.
Or Morpheus is a legit piece of shitty junk. Which is the most likely outcome.
>>
>>321269956
I just want to experience Second Life in VR

What do you think it's going to be called? 3rd Life?
>>
File: FuckYouFaggot.png (13 KB, 555x198) Image search: [Google]
FuckYouFaggot.png
13 KB, 555x198
>>321270945
>>
>>321271046
It's much more future-proof though. I guess you could run the games at a lower resolution and just have it upscaled but maybe this will look like shit so upsclose. It does feature the highest viewing angle by far, however.
>>
>>321271189
Nice picture from Neogaf.
>>
File: SuckMyDick.png (51 KB, 688x569) Image search: [Google]
SuckMyDick.png
51 KB, 688x569
>>321270945
Eat shit
>>
File: PROJECTING_THIS_HARD.png (20 KB, 880x258) Image search: [Google]
PROJECTING_THIS_HARD.png
20 KB, 880x258
>>321271313
>>
>>321271327
Bruh I could type up drivel like that if you gave me a few minutes and if I were as dedicated to funposting as you
>>
>>321271254

The thing is that the screen is only part of the equation. Optics, tracking, input method and comfort are just as important.

>>321271327

It straight up says on that that they didn't and wouldn't tell you what the price is.
>>
>>321271497
>Aside from cost, what is something you don't UNDERSTAND

Nigger, they said this because we all asked why it was going to be so cheap.
>>
File: He_Is_STILL_Trying.png (41 KB, 815x396) Image search: [Google]
He_Is_STILL_Trying.png
41 KB, 815x396
>>321271467
>>321271467
>>
>>321271658

That doesn't make sense. If they told you the price then why would they need to start the question with that?

It reads as "Anymore questions? Except price."

You're full of shit.
>>
>Thread is about VR in general
>Typical sonyshill starts shitting the thread with his fanboysm
Worst fanbase.
>>
>>321271796
Yeah, okay. Whatever makes you feel like you were right. We had lots of things we asked about and were told we couldn't get answers to. One of which was "Why is it so cheap?" and the answer being "We aren't at liberty to discuss pricing models yet, only that a headset will be available for as low as $119.99."

>>321271915
>implying I'm a sonyshill
>implying I even own a ps4
I did it for the $200 and shitposting abilities.
>>
File: lol.png (474 KB, 576x998) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
474 KB, 576x998
>>321271658

yeah, i'm sure they decided to leak a huge story to a random focus group of volunteers

lie more faggot
>>
>>321272126
Who signed an NDA and weren't told a specific price only that it would be "as low as"? Yes, but tell me more of your omnipotent knowledge.
>>
>>321270317
VR is much more useful for gaming than holograms which are completely useless for anything but gimmicky smartphone shit.
>>
>>321272293

my dad works at vr and says youre a liar and it will be $3
>>
Also, April will be launch date as it coincides with Getaway's release date at the end of the demo. This is just a theory though as it doesn't seem like a game you play without VR.

>>321272463
But anon, we're in VR. And >>321272126
is obviously the guy running the show, what with his infinite knowledge.
>>
>>321270317
>VR is the "motion controls" of this gen. It's a weak fad. People already got bored of it.
This so much
And I say it with one Gear VR near me

The holograms things no, it's not good yet
>>
So what's the deal with the headphones

Can they be removed?

They look like total shit and I assume the feel and sound like shit too
>>
>>321272819

GearVR is a poor representation. It doesn't even have head tracking. It's also waaaay less capable graphically by nature due to running of a phone. It's like 1/4 of what even the DK2 offered.

>>321272951

They sound better than they look, but yes they are removable.
>>
>>321269956
I gather that once all these VR headsets get priced, there's going to be a pretty big shit show. I'm looking foward to Oculus most but I'm hopping they stay in $300-$350 price range.

http://www.choi-waru.com/images/product/front/dandy-467_front.jpg
>>
>>321269956

Early adopter tax is Technology 101, who expected otherwise? I've been bracers for $1000+ since announcement.
>>
I'm happy with my DK2, dont see any reason to upgrade for a long while
>>
> just a few people will buy it because it's too risky
> content creators won't care about it
> VR will fail
You need to hand the out for free god dammit!
Every single person needs one!
You can't mess this up this is the one and only realistic chance to get fucked by a werewolf for fucks sake!
>>
we need more advanced technology for this shit to get off the ground. it isn't ready yet
>>
File: sad frog.jpg (34 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
sad frog.jpg
34 KB, 960x540
I guess I'll settle for a cheap used DK2 once the consumer version is out and the price drops.
>>
>Putting your mind in a digital world (VR)
>Meeting your waifu in your mind
VS
>Putting the digital world into the real world (Holograms)
>Bringing your waifu to life with you

Which one /v/?
>>
>>321277134
Putting a bullet in my brain. wipe this meme from the face of the earth
>>
>>321277250
>wipe this meme from the face of the earth
>Uses the suicide meme
Censor yourself.
>>
File: nrjbrt.png (42 KB, 894x650) Image search: [Google]
nrjbrt.png
42 KB, 894x650
>>321269956
Literally reddit copy/paste.

Honestly, just keep the VR discussion on there. /v/ has nothing valuable to add and I have no problem with going on reddit to get my VR fix every day.

Most of /v/ can't even afford VR anyway. Remember, these are gaming "enthusiasts" who mostly chose console over PC. They have no interest in spending extra money for a better experience. And /v/'s idea of a good VR experience is just some virtual girl sitting next to them, talking. As a guy with a girlfriend, I'm using VR to get AWAY from that crap.

/v/ isn't capable of good gaming discussion. I have no idea why you thought they'd be any good at VR discussion, OP.
>>
The problem with Sony's VR is that it's not actually VR. It has no stereoscopic effect. It's basically just a monitor glued to your head. Sony users are getting screwed.
>>
File: ytzGIqMElNe_VkVIGEsuMw_r.jpg (52 KB, 700x517) Image search: [Google]
ytzGIqMElNe_VkVIGEsuMw_r.jpg
52 KB, 700x517
>>321277464
>>
>>321277515
It also forces you to use two move controllers.
>>
>>321270317
You're wrong and here's why. VR support can be slapped on to plenty of games that already exist, pretty well. Examples include euro truck, elite dangerous, most driving games. However, motion controls failed because games needed to be developed purely for motion controls, this is not the case with VR
>>
>>321277464

>/v/ isn't capable of good gaming discussion

Why are you even here
>>
>>321269956

>Rift crowdfunded on the promise that it would be the first, affordable VR headset
>Morpheus is coming out before it
>Rift looking to be crazy expensive at launch

Yet another reason never to fucking crowdfund anything
>>
>>321276148
Can I fuck it instead of getting fucked :S
>>
Screen in your face is not VR.
>>
>>321278318
VR probably wouldn't be happening in any capacity at all right now, if it wasn't for that kickstarter.
>>
>>321278565

Yeah I kinda think it's a stupid nickname too. I mean yeah it has head tracking and it eclipses your vision but virtual reality feels like a bit of an overstatement at this point
>>
>>321270082
I can still afford this
>>
450 quid is around my upper limit, if it's more than that I'll hold off for a bit, not least to see if the Vive is around that price. But of course, despite that being 670USD, if it were 670USD it'd be 650GBP because fuck everything.
>>
>>321270485
>ran like a Kenyan

Thanks mate I just made the most disgusting laugh noise I ever have
>>
>>321278565
What do you want, needles into your pupils?
>>
>>321279278

Dunno why you wouldn't wait. I ain't getting vr until the dx12 cards are out

First wave rift vr will sell out quickly anyways
>>
>>321279413
Because I am a massive faggot who is very excited to buy and work with the Rift, but couldn't justify buying a development kit for hobbyist development.
>>
>>321273217
>t's like 1/4 of what even the DK2 offered
It's obvious you haven't tried the Gear VR. It's way (way) better than DK2, but it's still a gimmick
>>
Surely people didn't fall for the initial "we would give it to you for free if we could" talk and were expecting this to cost little fortune, right?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.