[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel kind of bad for not thinking Undertale is all that amazing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
By playing it and looking into how things work, it's really amazing how much passion and effort came from just one dude. The way the story is told is extremely clever, and I can't think of a game that actually uses the game mechanics to tell its story better than Undertale. Ex:The fact that a character who was supposedly wiped from existence but still has a consciousness can only be found through data mining is fucking brilliant. Not to mention how godly the soundtrack is. Seriously, it's kinda of scary how much talent Toby Fox has.

But I just can't bring myself to say Undertale is this absolutely amazing game, even though part of me feels like it deserves to be called that. When I played through the game, it was only like a 7/10 because the actual gameplay was kinda barebones. And I just feel bad that I can't give this game the praise it arguably deserves from the sheer amount of thought and passion put into it.

Is that weird?
>>
I think it's a 7/10 game.

I also think it's overpraised but it is a nice title and it's my #10 game of the year.

I like Papyrus.
>>
>>321251435
Le citizen kane of la gaming xD

I fukken love undertale, post fanart of Goatmom and muffet pl0x!
>>
File: 1444437600699.gif (17 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1444437600699.gif
17 KB, 640x400
>>321251435
You should be optimistic, since Undertale's success mean Toby will continue putting thing out into the world.
One day he'll probably go out and make something better with something more than a one-man-team backing him up, or maybe just stick to music making. Either way's fine by me.
>>
>>321253663
I'd stuffet in Muffet. Just saying.
>>
My only complaint is that the context of the story doesn't really mean anything expcept to build a world for all these lovable characters to live in. Like seriously, the whole concept of the human monster war and the banishment just didn't really matter to anyone playing this game. It was all about characters.
>>
Don't feel bad, this game is as subject to personal taste as any other game.

What you can however do is give it credit for what it did well, rather than being a fool who saw it here and passed it off as tumblr, or be a guy who played an hour into the game only to quit.
>>
>>321251435
why it wasn't that amazing of a game, filled with memes and tumblr/furry cringey anime shit
the soundtrack was very good though
>>
I felt that the true lab was just retreading his plot for the earthbound hack he made.
>>
It's quite fun, especially in the genocide ending
>>
File: a6a6i1-Jade-flying.gif (4 MB, 630x496) Image search: [Google]
a6a6i1-Jade-flying.gif
4 MB, 630x496
>>321251435
You can tell Toby Fox is influenced a lot by Andrew Hussie because this is essentially the Homestuck of video games. Specifically, they both take advantage of their respective mediums and the liberties they can take with them to make works like few others in their genres. As a piece of art and storytelling and as a work of fiction, Undertale is incredible, some of the best in its genre.

However, that doesn't necessarily make it a good game. A good story, yes. A good work of fiction, yes. But at the end of the day, the most important factor of Undertale as a game is the gameplay, and that's exactly where it suffers. As a story it's a perfect ten, but as a video game it's a 7 or 8 at best.

I feel like people who rate undertale poorly are mostly looking at the gameplay and disregarding the plot and story (which is how video games SHOULD be judged) and people claming it to be a masterpiece are disregarding the gameplay in favor of the storytelling, which is a huge problem with game reviewing these days. In my opinion, the gameplay should always be looked at first and the story second. Crunch before fluff.
>>
so who here killed toriel by accident/on purpose?
>>
I liked it at first... now i don't really feel like replaying it any time soon and i don't think it will age very good either. Also hate the fact that this shit community has turned it into a weird videogame version of Mary Sue
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.