[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since lots of people on /v/ shit on skyrim What is actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14
Since lots of people on /v/ shit on skyrim

What is actually wrong with skyrim?
>>
>>321171491

nothing
>>
It's not the best rpg, but it's really popular and praised by normies.
>>
its just dull and bland, especially compared to the older TES games

i try not shit on it too hard, i mean, its good enough to turn your brain off for hours on end but thats really it

now thats youve heard a sensible argument, try reading these shitposts:
>>
>>321171567
>but it's really popular and praised by normies.

Is this supposed to be bad?
>>
>>321171491
has been discussed to death hundreds of times, just look for one of those images
>>
Dumbed down compared to previous installments. I got 100% mana negating enchantments fucking easy which made the game a boring cakewalk
>>
>>321171491
"streamlining" , voice acting, unskippable intro, influx of failure film writers going into the videogame industry, todd howard
>>
>>321171491
its main flaw is that it got popular
>>
>>321171637
What if every single normie in the world would begin to praise Hitler? Would Hitler be a good person then?
>>
>>321171908
he literally did nothing wrong though

Just like skyrim, it's a good game, i enjoyed it alot.
>>
>>321171934
>did nothing wrong

didn't listen to his generals.
>>
>>321171908
>he still thinks Hitler was in the wrong
Oy oy oy
>>
>>321171908
>Hitler
/thread
>>
>>321171567
Only way companies can survive to continue making more games in the series

People ahve to spend money and like the game tbqh
>>
>>321171637
I mean, if you just see it as REEEEEEEEE

But it's mediocre and praised by people as a great game. Using the 'normies' buzzword detracts from the point I suppose.

It's just an okay game.
>>
>>321171491
>no attributes that matter like in new vegas
>no hardcore mode with sleep,hunger,thirst and a warmth mechanic
>all dungeons are the same oblivion had more variety even if it was copy paste
>all quests are the go there kill those type
>most quests are linear with no skillchecks just combat all the way
>magic system completely nerfed
>>
>>321171491
I don't hate skyrim, in fact I enjoyed even vanilla skyrim.
That said I miss that addition of stat points that could of let you focus your character towards different playstyles better, and wish magic was done better. Also more fleshed out towns and shit. Video games at general suck at it unless its there focus, but come on those towns are pitiful.
>>
>>321171491
Lack of content.
When you start it it feels like the promise of a grand adventure but then you realize the game has nothing to show you outside of what you saw in the first two hours.
>>
>>321172143
I should elaborate, the reason /v/ hates it so much is because everyone praises it so much.

If it was less popular among normies, we'd talk about it much less.
>>
>>321171491
Draugr caves.
All the writing is super serious, no fun allowed.
Everything looks washed out without mods.
>>
>>321172301
>lack of content

now thou gotta be kiddin' me f'am

All those quests,guilds, that giant map and those cities are not enough?

Also play the dlc
>>
>>321172495
This has to be bait.
>>
>>321172154
>make cooking items and ingredients
>there is no obligation or motivation for the player to use them other than muh roleplay
I feel bad for installing mods on this game that should've already been in the game already as an option.
>magic in Skyrim
yeah fuck the devs
>>
>>321172495
Yeah there is "content" as in "maps", sure, but you discover very few new systems or concepts as you go on. Even high level spells are the same as low level ones, except with higher numbers.
Quests continue being "talk to one guy to start it then go to a dungeon to get some gizmo"
When you finish the civil war questline the war camps are still there. Can't even kill their commanders.
Nothing changes really.
>>
I'm pretty sure people on /v/ wouldn't hate it as much if the whole planet wouldn't call it the second coming of Jesus.

It's infuriating seeing how people praise it and refute any criticism while using no arguments but "you're a hater it's the best game ever".

It's not blind hate ,but annoyance about being repeated for 4 years now that ITS BEST ITS BEST ITS BEST that drew people to a more vivid criticism of the game
>>
>>321171491
>Since lots of people on /v/ shit on skyrim
>What is actually wrong with skyrim?

Too basic melee combat, too small settlement scale, too underpowered sorcery, too effective stealth.
>>
> Combat didn't have any depth. It was a little fun at the start but got really boring after a few hours when you realized there was absolutely nothing that progressed it and made you feel more powerful.

> Copy pasted content everywhere.

> only a few interesting story lines

> Very little character progression and not enough to explore to make anything past the first few hours feel fun or fresh

I tried to like skyrim, and in the end it was ok but not great, just ok.
>>
As someone who likes the game generally its biggest flaw is this "you can do anything! :^)" design philosophy that Bethesda keep pushing

There's no reason to play Skyrim more than once. You can do everything in one playthrough. There's no mystery.
>>
>>321171491
Forget about critics, install a combat overhaul, a needs mod, Frostfall and enjoy the ultimate Nord experience.
>>
>>321171491
>Amounts of hours
Does not mean
>Quality hours

That's what the game lacked, quality hours played.
>>
>>321171491
Execution cutscenes can fuck combat up a lot.
Side quests are boring. I cant even do the DLC or the main guilds questlines honestly, but the normie villager sidequests are fucking garbage.
Combat is stale and doesn't feel very good.
In legendary difficulty, it tends to be about using cheese strats. Hopping on rocks, jumping up and back down elevations, kiting, etc are the sorts of techniques you will likely use unless you want to meticulously play by preying on weak enemies for a long time.
You go from weak to overpowered very quickly, the curve is totally fucked. You start out trying to find things like elven or dwarven equipment, then you fucking explode into overpoweredness with daedric or dragon. Likewise, you go from fighting weak enemies to being able to kill everything instantly.
The terrain is annoying as fuck now that you cant horse hop everywhere.
There is a level scaling element, which really sucks, but they did a pretty decent job of hiding it at least.
>>
Combat was as bad as Oblivion. Some idiot thought it would be ok to remove blocking when dual wielding, so it just turns into a hack and slash.
Then you also have the tiny cities, terrible guilds and boring ranomly generated quests that always force you to go into caves to retrieve an item.

That said, i can see why someone who has never played any older RPG's would like it. If you have no experience of good rpg's, then your not going to see most of the flaws in the game.
>>
For every cool thing, nice detail, improvement, or moment, theres at least two things wrong with the game. To keep it short...
>Combat is boring
>Bethesda writing
>World building (11 houses in the capital, the "Cloud District", copy paste dungeons"
>Nearly every quest requires dungeon crawling of some sorts.
>Skill system is terrible and shallow
>Ending of the main quest is a joke
There are some things that I like but overall its a 7/10 game at best.
>>
>>321173054
Items and enemies scale with level, progression is hampered by this and makes exploration for items feel pointless because the items you find will be similar to everything else you find on a regular basis.
The voice acting costs and the dev's fear of scaring off players means guild quest lines progress too fast with very little world building.
Very little variation in dungeons with a huge majority being caves with tons of weak draugr followed by a draugr with more health and damage. The game does very little to distract the player or to hide this system from the player.
The quest markers means players aren't navigating the world through landmarks or through spoken or written directions they received

Fast travel is done through a menu instead of an in-universe method such as teleportation or the stilt riders in Morrowind
>>
File: 1416010610653.jpg (49 KB, 469x312) Image search: [Google]
1416010610653.jpg
49 KB, 469x312
>>321173174
>only a few interesting storylines
I really hated the main quest in Skyrim, especially how there wasn't a single memorable character in it. They even managed to make the talking dragons a fucking bore. Same with all the faction quests, which are slightly less boring but quite short and declare you the chosen one (just like everybody else in the game) about 20 minutes after you joined the faction.
Also I can't stand most of the voice actors
>>
there was nothing catastrophically wrong with it desu, and when modded its a legitimately good game
>>
>>321171491
well for starters, why can't I happen into the main quest anywhere? why do I have to go to one place specifically for the thing the game is about, DRAGONS, to start appearing?
>>
>>321172143
Normies seems to have lost it's definition, or people still haven't understood it yet.

Normies are the same people who buy the new sports game every year (doesn't matter which, NBA, NFL, FIFA, Madden, Boxing, MMA, etc), select fighting games, Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, Racing games, and Grand Theft Auto.

Skyrim was bought by, and praised by many of these people.
>>
shallow as fuck

poorly written characters

"you can do anything" means you can become head of the mages guild with only 1 spell, head of the theives guild as a monstrous warlord who kills all in front of him etc.

next to no varety in enemies; draugrs, bandits, dwemer constructions and wild animals are the 95% with 4% whichever faction you decide to kill and the 1% the boring and weak dragons

the combat is dull and repetitive

Loot is boring

rpg stats aspects horrifically dumbed down

ugly without mods

engine supports about 12 npcs at a time lending to the atmosphere at huge battles

there are more problems but I haven't played it in a long time now

why bother playing skyrim?
>>
File: TESV 2015-12-19 17-41-46-54.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TESV 2015-12-19 17-41-46-54.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>321174279
>why bother playing skyrim?
You know why
>>
File: 1448464149195.png (192 KB, 348x348) Image search: [Google]
1448464149195.png
192 KB, 348x348
>>321173931
Oh and that civil war quest was a fucking joke too.
>Oh cool, they actually added a civil war quest apart from the main quest
>90% of it consists of going to derelict forts in random locations to kill nameless imperial/stormcloak guards
quality quest writing
>>
>>321174279
>why bother playing skyrim?

because if you want to play an open world vampire game, or a werewolf/werebear game, or hell a game with somewhat decent magic then modded skyrim is the only game out there
>>
It was fun for the first few hours then you realized
>same guy voiced half the characters in the game
>same enemies thoughout the entire game
>all wyverns were the same
>only fun way to play (stealth bow) ruins the immersion of the game because of how retardedly shitty stealth is in the game
>AI still hasn't improved. They are still black and white on whatever you do. If you accidentally hit an ally while fighting, accidentally scratch a guard, they will fucking try to kill you
>you can't kill any npcs that are too important to the story
>>
>>321174471
>final battle is like 6 archers on a wall and four guys at the gate

just... fuck this game was so bad
>>
>>321174591
>a game with somewhat decent magic then modded skyrim is the only game out there

this is what skyrimfags actually beleive
>>
>>321174658
nice list of games you have there fag, also good job ignoring the vamp/werewolf point
>>
File: TESV 2015-12-03 02-38-10-65.jpg (3 MB, 3360x2100) Image search: [Google]
TESV 2015-12-03 02-38-10-65.jpg
3 MB, 3360x2100
>>321174279
>playing skyrim

Creating own waifu/husbando, writing bio for her/him and roleplaying is the only way to have fun in this game.

Imagination and modding capabilities is what has saved this game.
>>
>>321174840
so the game itself is trash but it got saved by modders just like every other bethesda game
>>
>>321171491
man I love skyrim but you must be this dumb to not know what's wrong with it
I've played F2P MMORPGs with better progression and attributes that actually fucking matter. at least skyrim is comfy af
>>
>>321171527
>You never should have come here!
*Click click click click click*

Fucking boring combat. Like honestly, wasn't there mention of directional buttons affecting the animation, before the game's launch?

Why do so many games have single-button gameplay?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>321175350
>you like the SIGHT of your own BLOOD?
>No please, no more!
>This is the part where you FALL DOWN and BLEED TO DEATH!
>>
>>321174591
Morrowind and Oblivion do both of those things and has far better magic than Skyrim.
>>
>>321171567
>>321172143
>>321174234
"Normie", "casual", and "pro" have absolutely no definition in game design. They're functionally worthless, as would be naming every single game mechanic as such, probably.

>>321172303
>implying
>>
The scaling difficulty makes it really boring since there's absolutely zero threat to anything as long as you leave the giants alone early on.
>>
>>321175750
you can mod all morrowind spells into skyrim senpai
>>
It's the only open world game that lets you walk around nice looking (with mods) mountains and it's overall kind of calming to do so. I riked it just for that.
>>
File: 1374796027287.jpg (919 KB, 2500x1406) Image search: [Google]
1374796027287.jpg
919 KB, 2500x1406
>>321175878
Exactly, you need to mod everything in Skyrim to make it remotely decent. At least with Morrowind you can play it vanilla and still have a good experience.
>>
>>321171491
You should play it and see the kind of game /v/ will call the worst game in the world.

Understand that /v/ is full of weebs that praise games that are only games by technicality just because they pander to their weebhood or their insatiable want for "waifus".
>>
>>321175994
I liked morrowind too anon, but I thought were talking about modded games here

and morrowind has a lot of flaws too
>>
>>321175812
>"Normie", "casual", and "pro" have absolutely no definition in game design.
Of course not, it has everything to do with marketing.
>>
>>321175050
Exactly. Bethesda fames feels like a huge framework for mods.
>>
it was BOOOOOOOOORING
>>
>wasting your time arguing against underage neo /v/

you realize skyrim was babby's first "rpg", right?

all you have to do is look at the sales numbers between morrowind and oblivion
>>
A lot of the quests are repetitive fetch quests that aren't very interesting and the forts/dwemer ruins/draugr pits can get repetitive quickly. Compared to past TES games it was oversimplified. I can enjoy vanilla Skyrim because I like wandering around the environment exploring and murdering bears and if you don't activate any quests you can run through some ruins more organically and glean a backstory through journals and things which is kind of neat.
>>
File: skyrimmod4.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
skyrimmod4.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>321174591
>>321174756
Gothic 2
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Dishonored

Supposedly:
Arx Fatalis
Arcanum
Balder's Gate 2
NWN
Dragon's Dogma
KoA: Reckoning might have way better Magi than its ordinary combat
Lichdom: Battlemage
Fucking MMOs

>>321176238
Which isn't gameplay, which -- again -- is functionally worthless for game design discussion.
>>
>>321176780
>Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
magic in that one felt like it simply comlimented kicking to be honest, though I have to admit that I never did a clear magic playthrough

I also have to partially agree on NWN but with one caveat, while nwn magic is great, its a totally different kind of a game
>>
>>321171491
Same reason people shit on Fallout 4

They're good games, in the sense that they're well crafted kill-things-explore-and-loot-shit simulators. But in terms of a player influencing a real breathing interactive world, they fall flat on their face in comparison to older titles in the series.

Besides making living things dead, you have very little influence on the world in either game.
>>
>>321176780
>Marketing is functionally worthless for game design discussion.
This is where your argument falls apart.
>>
>>321171491
I loved it for about 8 hours, but then i realised the most fun I was having was just walking around. It does a good job of creating the illusion of exploration, but when you pull the curtains back there really isn't a whole lot to Skyrim.
>>
>>321175994
That supposed to be Balmora right? Fucking amazing.
>>
>>321177098
What a deep argument /s
>>
>>321171491
It is the epitome of casualization in video games, if you can't see the meaning in that then you need to lurk some more. The gameplay is complete garbage, and I guess in a sense the game is the staple of this generation of video games where nobody actually cares about how well a game plays - just if it has funny memes, is marketed well, and has big shallow worlds to "explore".
>>
>>321177330
if you don't understand that marketing games to particular crowds skews game design, then I don't know what else to say.
>>
>>321177092
Well all that killing, exploring and looting feels kind of pointless if it doesn't have any influence on the world
>>
>>321177618
That's not what was implied.

Feel free to come up with interesting topics on game design that are based through marketing. At that point, you should realize that game design meetings don't start discussing demographics for their feature list before figuring out basic gameplay.
>>
>>321178276
They don't have to start discussing demographics for their feature list, because the demographic is already determined by the publisher.
>>
>>321174591
casual alert
>>
>>321171491
OK.
>Never played an Elder Scrolls game
>Buy Skyrim in a sale
> Hyped af
> Sit through 20 minutes of boring as fuck cutscene and tutorial
> "Finally, now i can go on quests"
> Play for about 3 hours and it's pretty good
>Game crashes and my save is gone
>Start shitty tutorial again
>Play a few more hours
>Almost done mission that i was stuck on for ages
>Game crashes and i am back to the start of the mission
> After this happening a few more times, the game rarely crashes anymore
> Play some mission, become a werewolf
> Every character is boring as fuck
> Dialogue is horrible
> World feels bland and uninteresting
> Game is shit
> Wait 6 months
> Play Witcher 3
> Comparison makes Elder Scrolls look like utter fucking shit
>Start to feel sick
>Go to the doctor
>"Have you played Skyrim recently?"
>"yes"
> Diagnosed with cancer

Horrible game, the most standard, generic, broken, poorly-written RPG that i have evr played. Anyone who defends it is an idiot.
>>
>>321179598
XD, subscribed
>>
The combat lacks any complexity. Fucking World of Warcraft has a more engaging combat system.

For a game where most of your time is spent either fighting or traveling, the fighting is simplistic and barely challenging. The traveling is the only part they got right, but the player faces no challenge whatsoever from Skyrim's supposedly hostile environs. The result - fucking boring.

They keep removing gameplay features, like mysticism, spears, various spells, etc. and replace them with literally fucking nothing. The new crafting system was an improvement, and so was housebuilding.

With all that said, modded Skyrim is just as enjoyable as modded Oblivion is. Without modders, Elder Scrolls would have ended with Oblivion.
>>
>>321171491
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUynhkal1I
>>
OP here, Skyrim is confirmed for being the worst thing ever made.
>>
Bad combat

Too serious story that tries to rush you through the game instead of encouraging exploration

Unkillable NPCs

Every daedric prince should have a whole questline instead of 'clear the dungeon, get the sword'

You shouldn't be able to be a champion of two daedric princes that hate each other at the same time

Game tries to impress players by scripted events while using a retarded engine

Most of the characters are boring

Most of the actions don't have any impact on the world

Skyrim would be fucking incredible if it had Shadow Warrior's combat, questlines for every single faction and important character, actual decisions, better engine and more consequences. Why no one except the guards cares about the death of the emperor?
>>
File: enb 2015_12_23 11_50_26_73.jpg (502 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
enb 2015_12_23 11_50_26_73.jpg
502 KB, 1366x768
At least its toaster friendly.

I love Perkus Maximus with Action Combat.
>>
>>321178782
That's tangential, not to mention unsourced.
>>
>>321180207
No one ever elaborates on how the combat is bad.
>>
File: devonian scene.jpg (147 KB, 438x306) Image search: [Google]
devonian scene.jpg
147 KB, 438x306
>>321175994
Morrowind had GOAT atmosphere.
It actually felt alien and foreign.

Skyrim is just Scandinavia, it had no sense of wonder.

If you lack imaginations, you can just copy history.
>>
>>321181904
>Hit enemy in way that looks like a minecraft swing
> Stupid AI tries to hit you
> Move out of the way
> Repeat until enemy dies

Stop Bethesda, the excitement is killing me
>>
>>321182241
>Every once in a while get treated to a badass "kill animation" that clips through everything without exception
First time I saw that I actually laughed
>>
>>321176780
That grass looks so out of place. What was the modder thinking?
>>
File: dungeondesigns.jpg (164 KB, 875x2423) Image search: [Google]
dungeondesigns.jpg
164 KB, 875x2423
>>
>>321171491
It is better than Failout 4.
>>
>>321181904
Vanilla skyrim combat is, at best, functional.

It's floaty and it's way too simplistic for it's own good, way too boring.

There's no variety in melee, not in the ways you can attack, nor in the strategies you can come up with, hell, even switching weapons doesn't change much.

Mods can't fix it, but can make things better.
If you add parrying (clashing weapons,basically), dodging and locational damage (stagger, crippling, etc) things start feeling more dynamic. You move around more, you run away, look for higher ground, aim at specific body parts, etc.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.