[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did memetale gain so much popularity while pic related remains
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
Why did memetale gain so much popularity while pic related remains in obscurity?
>>
>>321168068
how are they even comparable
>>
File: 1366240955054.jpg (40 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
1366240955054.jpg
40 KB, 399x388
>nobody will ever make memes out of your favorite indie game

:(
>>
>>321168068
vomit-chan?
>>
>>321168068
>obscurity

What are you talking about? Didn't Yume Nikki get a manga series?
>>
>>321168068
Because it's Japanese, and despite how much people like to pretend they're welcoming of other cultures, they feel uncomfortable exposing themselves to anything that doesn't cater to their Western sensibilities.
>>
Yume nikki is easily one of the most recognized and famous indie games ever.
Probably the most famous rpgmaker horror game with ib.
It has its own imageboard site.

Also thank fucking god it attracts the right kind of people: Yume nikki's discussions and art are MILES better than undertale's and i don't want yume nikki gain any more unwanted popularity.
It's my comfy safe haven from everything i dislike, let's not ruin it.
>>
>>321168068
Look at it this way: if Undertale is the Homestuck of /v/, then Yume Nikki is its Problem Sleuth equivalent. Yume Nikki came first, and it paved the way for one of the memiest games to have been kickstarted in some time. That doesn't mean it's bad, but the game is dangling by a thread on how the fanbase welcomes late adopters.

But if you want to forget that Undertale ever existed, Yume Nikki will always be there. So that's nice, I guess.
>>
>>321168068
>memetale
Yet another person who doesn't UNDERstand UNDERtale. Why are people who can't appreciate the best game still on this board?
>>
File: 1449361649906.jpg (310 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
1449361649906.jpg
310 KB, 800x540
Do you want yume nikki to have a fanbase like undertale?
I didn't play it because I can't mentally play any horror games even if they are barley scary at all
>>
>>321170284

2/10
>>
>>321170415
You should
Yume nikki isn't even barely horror
At worst it is midly unnerving, it's a really interesting experience but you have to be in the right mindset for it, or else you will get really bored.

I played yume nikki everytime i couldn't sleep and i love it now.
If you want horror go for .flow: that shit is spooky
>>
>>321170556
Can you give reasons why you thought the game was 2/10 instead of just saying it? Or did you not play it?
>>
>>321171085
Your bait is 02/10 you assclown
>>
>>321171265
I guess you meant to reply to >>321169506 instead? Quoted the wrong post? Happens to all of us.
>>
>>321169218
This and the lack of memes
>>
>>321168068
It isn't on Steam.

>>321169218
Also this.
>>
>>321168068
Why do people spout the term "meme game" when the game itself has maybe 2 or 3 pop culture references at the most, out of hundreds of lines of dialogue?

What does "meme game" even mean, anyway? Is it called that because it's popular? Because that seems like a dumb reason to hate a game.

And if I were you, I wouldn't be so concerned with a game's popularity. I'd hate to see YN get Undertale's fanbase.
>>
>>321168068
It's for the best;you don't want that kind of people turning the fanbase into shit.
>>
>>321171789
Not that guy, but honestly, just seeing something you think is good get a lot of positive attention from other people is very cathartic.
>>
Leaving aside "muh meme game" shitposting, it's a combination of things.

First, Yume Nikki would never, ever become notably popular in the West. It's a little known doujin game that's not available on any major distribution platform and will generally only appeal to a very specific audience.

Second, Undertale is the perfect case of a game coming out at exactly the right time in exactly the right climate. Someone called it "2015: the video game" and that sums it up pretty well. Undertale is full of things that seem laser targeted to appeal to the sort of collective internet zeitgeist of 2014/2015. Regardless of whether you like it, or the /v/ hivemind likes it, it's made of elements that the general demographic of "people on the internet who play video games, especially indie games" is really into right now. It basically caught lightning in a bottle in a way that few other games of its type ever could.
>>
File: 1449674505064.png (520 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
1449674505064.png
520 KB, 640x720
>>321171886
Yeah, but I try not to focus on the popularity of something I like anyway. I do my best to not cite "Lots of people like it" as a reason to play it. I mean, hey, if a lot of people like what you like, then super, but if they don't, fuck 'em. That's the way I see it. Take it from a person who still enjoys Sonic the Hedgehog games, you want to do your best to ignore the fandom of things you like that you know would attract those kinds of fans.

Unless you're actually the guy who created the game and say that because it's selling well, which, as a person who loves money, I can totally understand.

Man, I remember playing the demo when it came out forever ago and /v/ loved it. Game's becoming Skyrim 2.0.
>>
>>321172335
I'm still calling Undertale the Homestuck of videogames, for a lot of the reasons that you said.

The cult following for Homestuck exploded SO much that people outside the fanbase wanted in to the experience of it, though in doing so, they kind of muddied the water for the rest of us. Then, Homestuck became so oddly self-serving that late-adopters became disenfranchised with it immediately.

I hope Undertale doesn't have the same fate, but with all the fanart of Gaster, Alternate Universe characters, and OC/self-inserts, I'm not optimistic.
>>
>>321171886
A lot of people (especially the kind that frequent /v/) would disagree with you.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.