[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The most popular gaming device is the smartphone. Almost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: 2015-12-23_02-10-59.png (300 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-23_02-10-59.png
300 KB, 720x1280
>The most popular gaming device is the smartphone.
Almost made me hurl holy shit. Since when are fucking farmville and words with friends fucking videogames?
>>
since the time that they were games with video
>>
>>321158884
since they were created, I think
>>
File: 1443752166380.png (386 KB, 599x371) Image search: [Google]
1443752166380.png
386 KB, 599x371
>>321158985
So you consider them to be videogames? Are you telling me they fall under the same catagory as metal gear solid and dark souls?
>>
>>321159350
>So you consider them to be videogames?

The industry classifies them as video games which they are.

>Are you telling me they fall under the same catagory as metal gear solid and dark souls?

Clearly neither farmville nor words with friends are a stealth shooter or 3rd person rpg.
>>
>>321159854
Except the industry is mostly classified of people who don't actually play video games.
Also what I was implying is that those games lack the depth complexity and intellectual content that mgs or dark souls or pretty much any game that isn't mobile/facebook shit.
>>
File: 1450667546355.png (103 KB, 736x744) Image search: [Google]
1450667546355.png
103 KB, 736x744
>>321159854
I can understand the game part. But I don't get the video part.

Video is an electronic medium for the recording, copying and broadcasting of moving visual images.

These games don't record, copy or move visual images.
>>
>>321159350
literally yes

I can draw a shitty house on a piece of paper with a marker and it'd fall under the same category as Van Gogh
>>
They are videogames but of vastly different categories and target demographics
>>
>>321160826
Right with the target demographic of these games being women who would otherwise never touch anything else.
>>
I can't deny that they are video games by definition, but phone games just seem different at the same time ("those aren't proper games") when compared to consoles or PC or even other handhelds. The stereotype of people who play video games as their main/only hobby is still of the antisocial, skinny or obese virgin who lives in their parents' basement... at least it still is around where I live in Kentucky (especially with the women, strange enough) with many rednecks and poor people who are of African descent. I learned that basically any girl with a southern accent hates video games and hates how their boyfriends or whatever play them, and the boyfriends play FPS and sports on consoles, nothing inherently wrong with that.

All females I know who are over 18 who would consider themselves someone who plays video games play Sims, and one or two phone games ("all of which strangely appeal to women in droves"), but even though those women hang out with the guys who only play video games, the women never seem to have consoles or steam accounts, etc. Of course, since it is fucking Kentucky, I don't have a good group of people to compare to. All people of both genders I know/see who are under 12 all play brown bricks with their crap and FnaF on iphone tablets, never saw a child with a 3DS before, but I know they are out there somewhere.

I described what the stereotypical male "gamer" looks like to local adults around here, but apparently a stereotypical female gamer, to them, is just a morbidly obese chick with an ugly face. They don't know about any of that red hair or tattoo stuff.
>>
File: 12334.png (14 KB, 90x69) Image search: [Google]
12334.png
14 KB, 90x69
>>321158884
>>
File: 1318691192287.jpg (13 KB, 400x412) Image search: [Google]
1318691192287.jpg
13 KB, 400x412
>>321158884
>if you don't like them, you're sexist
>>
>>321160775
.. What do you see on your tv when you game? Are they not moving images?
>>
>>321158884
oh no the definition of "video game" no longer means what it used to and the core audience has shifted to a larger and more casual demographic
w h o c o u l d h a v e s e e n t h i s c o m i n g
>>
>>321158884
oh and also
oh no the shitty dudebro epicenter of modern gaming for the past five to ten years has been slowly dwindling in favor of smaller studios creating passion projects that have actual soul to them and don't compromise on gameplay for the most part
whatever will we doooooo
>>
>>321160796
I wouldn't say same category, but same medium
>>
>>321162182
What the fuck, is Kentucky stuck in the 50s or something?
>>
>>321158884
>The Guardian

What did you expect?
>>
>>321158884
If you can count tumblrtale then they are unfortunately video games
>>
>>321158884
>Words With Friends

It's like I'm really in 2010.
>>
While they are video games, this is a question of label application.

In order to successfully obtain a label (in this case: gamer) you need a certain degree of skill or attachment associated with the label you're after.

In order to be considered an artist, you can't just draw a square on a napkin, you need to either draw so many squares on napkins that it becomes your "thing", or make a few better drawings.

Likewise, I would consider someone a gamer if they either invested a decent amount of money into the hobby, or invested a decent amount of time into it. If someone spent 12 hours a day playing Candy Crush, I would consider them a gamer, due to sufficient time investment.

So, it needs a bit of both. Likewise if someone spent $20k on video games per month but only played them for half an hour per week I would not consider him a gamer.
>>
>>321158884
Since they are electronic media that operate via a computer screen, and have the purpose of entertaining the user.

They are video games.

Shove your no true scotsman up your ass, thank you.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.