[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The most bothersome shit about FO4 is how much my role has NO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: piper ass.jpg (342 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
piper ass.jpg
342 KB, 1920x1080
The most bothersome shit about FO4 is how much my role has NO IMPACT in the story.

In Skyrim, I am able to create a temporary truce between all factions for the sake of the Dragonborn. In New Vegas, I can ally a minor faction like the BoS with major factions like the NCR.

Here, none of that happens. Like, I am the head of the Institute while running dozens of settlements across the Commonwealth. Why can't I use both my Institute and Minutemen powers to negotiate an agreement to install Synths into my settlements? Why can't I turn the Institute into a neutral force instead of either forcing them on the Commonwealth or destroying them? Why is the main quest a black and white when there should've been a grey option?

Hell, the shitty plot for FO4 basically makes the plot of FO3 even more pointless. Basically, I defeated the Enclave just to make them turn into the Enclave decades later. Basically, the whole good guy act with the saving of the water supply is actually bullshit. Great job, assholes.

Oh, and the fact that the Railroad dismisses the Minutemen and The Commonwealth in generall just pisses me off more. "The Minutemen are a reflection of the Commonwealth". So? What the fuck have you done stupid bitch? I've spent 80 hours fixing settlements and defending their stupid ass, and you tell me that what I'm doing is less important than saving a bunch of damn fucking robots? Fuck you.

Jesus Christ why is the main quest so fucking awful?
>>
File: Mr.Todd.png (60 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Mr.Todd.png
60 KB, 256x256
IT
>>
>>321145004

JUST
>>
>>321145086

WORKS
>>
File: 1448342464760.jpg (108 KB, 1031x304) Image search: [Google]
1448342464760.jpg
108 KB, 1031x304
>>321144825

>Jesus Christ why is the main quest so fucking awful?

Because Todd wants to make a game that is based more on selling memes than an actual story.
>>
Just wait for the DLC, senpai
>>
>>321144825
Probably because they are working on a new engine for the next TES game and dont care about this FO.

This was quite obviously a quick cash grab
>>
It's a competent enough shoot-and-looter with some nice environments. Expecting any depth beyond that just isn't what Bethesda does any more.
>>
>>321146462

It seems like a major downgrade from Skyrim though.
>>
File: King_of_Ooo.png (317 KB, 755x935) Image search: [Google]
King_of_Ooo.png
317 KB, 755x935
>>321145004
>>321145086
>>321145185

Don't do that. Every time you do that, I see this guy.
>>
Because the shitty, linear main story is all there is to it OP. It's a 40 hour game, and we've both wasted $60. Deal with it.
>>
>>321146853

OP here.

I pirated it. I'll just wait for the 2017 Steam Sales anyways.
>>
>>321146523
>downgrade from Skyrim
Skyrim bored me to tears. Fallout 4 at least has some depth in the gameplay, whereas Skyrim has absolutely NO depth. Also, Skyrim's story was not as deep or intricate as you're remembering.
>>
>>321147187
Skyrim was a downgrade from most rpgs choice-wise but at least it usually had multiple dialogue options that werent all different wordings of the same response.
>>
>>321146462
As far as a shoot/loot game, it's pretty great. Also the settlement building and weapon customization were fucking excellent additions to the game. I hope they keep those for the next TES game.
>>
>>321147187

Nah, but at least my role as a Dragonborn actually matters to different factions.

My role as head of The Institute does not affect my role as a Railroad agent. No one in The Institute accused me of being a Railroad spy and no one in the Railroad tried to kill me after accepting the role as head of The Institute.

It's odd. And when it does matter it gives you a black and white option and no gray option.

Skyrim can give you a gray option but not this. It's odd.
>>
>oblivion has actually become a good game just because FO3/Skyrim/FO4 were such trash

Whodunit will forever be remembered
>>
>>321147357
The voiced protag is fun in some ways, and severely annoying in others. Sometimes a response was right on the mark with what I was trying to play emotionally. Other times were deeply cringeworthy (especially the part where you're recalling Shaun's kidnapping to Nick Valentine - oh christ).

>different wordings of the same response
Shadowrun Dragonfall actually had this sort of thing, and I didn't mind. Most dialogue choice came down to "professional"/"aggressive"/"sarcastic", and it was actually a lot of fun. I accept that sometimes story is going to be linear for the sake of the developers, but if it still lets me roleplay my character I don't mind.

Fallout 4 already having an established character backstory really threw a wrench in that whole prospect though
>>
>>321148528
The thing that chapped my ass the most about the whole pre-determined backstory thing is they made the fucking wife a lawyer. It instantly made a hundred times less sense for her to do all of the crazy combat shit you do throughout the entire game than if you were playing as the ex-soldier husband. I don't understand why they couldn't have met in the military or some shit, if they absolutely HAD to give them shitty backstories like that.
>>
>>321147569
I feel ya. That's the problem with Bethesda generally though. Their writers rarely see a third option, in any of their games.
>>
>>321146278

ha, you wish. Todd Howard will announce a "new engine" a few weeks after TESVI's confirmation and it'll wind up being Gamebryo again. I have no hope for the company at this point, and that's coming from someone who's played FO4 for over 200 hours and loved it
>>
>>321144825
Your role does fuck-all in Skyrim as well though.
>>
>>321148847
They had the perfect opportunity in the cutscene to use the power armor to conceal the face and keep the gender of the soldier ambiguous. I really did not understand why they made the wife a lawyer.
>>
>>321144825
>Like, I am the head of the Institute while running dozens of settlements across the Commonwealth. Why can't I use both my Institute and Minutemen powers to negotiate an agreement to install Synths into my settlements?

This is the part that got me. I didn't destroy the institute because of all the good it can produce if under the leadership of someone who hasn't spent the past 60 years in his basement complaining about the neighbors and kidnapping said neighbors for twisted synth sex.
Instead I take over, nothing changes, and everyone is sending me on shitty errands all the time.

Why couldn't the minutemen be the human face of the institute? why couldn't I stop them kidnapping people? why couldn't I take the airship for minutemen/institute use and have it parked at the castle/CIT ruins. I should have just stuck with NV.
>>
File: considerthefollowing.jpg (32 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.jpg
32 KB, 600x600
>>321148847

And it's worse that the choice responses are the least likely things that a lawyer would do in a post-apocalyptic society.

Lawyers are negotiators, and there's not a single aspect of "negotiating" in FO4's main story. There's not even a single quest that utilizes her law skills.

There's a million things a lawyer can in a post-apocalyptic world. Diamond City has their own jurisdicial system, the Brotherhood of Steel even does negotiations with settlers across the wasteland, and lawyers can settle disputes between rival settlements. So why bother putting her as a lawyer when you're giving her none of that law shit?
>>
>>321149021
I have hope on them releasing a new engine just because that's been their consistent behavior for the last 16 years or so.
>>
Well you bought the game, that was the first mistake.

Actually expecting a video game to meet your expectations in 2015 was your first mistake.

Disappointment sells, hype sells, advertisements sell, thats all that matters to these companies anymore.
>>
I spent 50+ hours of my life grinding all 30 settlements and all I get out of any of them is caps and items that I don't need. Nobody seems to care that I re-civilized the wasteland.
>>
>>321148528
I really, really, really hope we don't have a voiced protagonist for the next TES.

But I bet we do.
At least we won't have the predetermined backstory, what with the whole unnamed prisoner wakes up in a cell thing.
>>
>>321149870
Wouldnt be surprised if a raspy voice tells its entire life story, up to his unjust (because you're a good guy) imprisonment, just before you, an argonian, wake up in prison.
>>
>>321150343
>this will probably happen
jdimsa
>>
At least Skyrim had duel-wielding I could play around with. Or a map bigger than a puddle. And lore; that was cool. I mean there wasn't much, but it was there. It all makes me wonder how Bethesda will boil it down more in their next outing, short of a straight shooter.
>>
>>321144825
SBH did a really good video about this exact topic, the main point being that FO4 is not an RPG in the traditional sense where you play a role and be an integral part of the narrative, it's more about the player and what they want to do. If you just pretend you're some nobody with no influence over the world (which you basically are) then it makes sense. A lot of the game's design reinforces that mantra heavily, you don't really specialize a character more than express yourself and experiment and shit.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you (I think it's kind of a slap in the face for Fallout fans personally), but it seems unwise to evaluate the game based on criteria that it didn't even try to meet.
>>
>>321148528

I had to install a mod that made the protagonist silent because I realized that was actually keeping me from really getting immersed in the game.

When a game tells me what I should be feeling or thinking all it does is take me out of the characters shoes when it should be trying to put me into them.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.