[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"What do people like about Homeworld?" "The large
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: iP1uqO3HS3Vc.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (105 KB, 878x494) Image search: [Google]
iP1uqO3HS3Vc.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
105 KB, 878x494
"What do people like about Homeworld?"
"The large scale space battles similar to Star Trek or Star Wars that are still pretty unique for an RTS."
"What should we do to make a new Homeworld game stand out from it's predecessors?"
>>
>>321085097
The game went through a lot of development hell to get to the point it is at today.

Oh, and most people played Homeworld for the story/campaign.

That's the aspect everyone kept talking about up until 2001 or so.
>>
>>321085691
>Oh, and most people played Homeworld for the story/campaign.
Sure, but the setting has always been the initial draw of Homeworld and what makes it unique.
It's not like Gearbox knows how to make a decent story anyways.
>>
>>321086751
Gearbox is not making it
It was supposed to be a F2P game before Gearbox decided to buy the franchise
>>
Fuck off OP I have been wishing for the type of RTS that DoK is for a long time

>crawler mobile bases scavenging and resource hunting across vast desert and wastes
>sending out scouts and searching for the enemy mobile crawler
>going from a small picket screen around your crawler to a full batallion and heading for the enemy crawler
>meeting the enemy force halfway in and battling it out sending air reinforcements from your crawler
>etc

I can't wait for the sequel where we go back to space battles but for now this is going to be one solid RTS
>>
>>321085097
The game was originally called "Shipbreakers" and it had nothing to do with Homeworld.
When gearbox took over they forced the name change because hooking the nostolgia retro puke-drinkers.

Don't be stupid, don't buy this trash.
>>
>>321087714
You dumb fags keep saying this, but it isn't true. It was always intended to be a Homeworld universe game.
>>
>>321087714
>Don't be stupid, don't buy this trash.
Why would I? If I wanted a land based sci-fi RTS I don't exactly need to look hard.
>>
>first homeworld game in over a decade
>original devs
>working independently from gearbox
>exploring seriously interesting part of the story alluded to in previous games
>was originally going to have nothing to do with homeworld, although obviously inspired by and related to it, until gearbox were actually chill as fuck and said fuck it, you can use the IP and make the game you wanted to make
>looks really fuckin neat
>people still being little bitches about it
>>
>>321087985
>/v/ bitching about video games
Who would have thought.
>>
File: dune_tribute_by_jamga-d34c20h.jpg (282 KB, 1701x612) Image search: [Google]
dune_tribute_by_jamga-d34c20h.jpg
282 KB, 1701x612
new dune rts when
>>
>>321087714
Shut the fuck up idiot

The game is being made by the old Homeworld devs who wanted to make more but didn't have the rights. Gearbox didn't force them to change the name because Gearbox doesn't own Blackbird. Gearbox is letting them make it a true Homeworld game, which is the only good move they've made in years
>>
File: 1450020621929.gif (2 MB, 379x423) Image search: [Google]
1450020621929.gif
2 MB, 379x423
>>321087714
>wow the name isn't what i like the game is automatically shit even though we know barely anything about how it plays
great job gaywad
>>
>>321085097
Just look at that screenshot and you see everything that's wrong with the game. Low poly environments, textures like 15 year old games, technology resembles real aircraft carriers instead of a cool futuristic spacefarer ones, too little factions, bad map design and lastly a lack of combat that allows more than "move into range and fire". This is going to be another Grey Goo.
>>
>>321085097
>>321087714
>>321087714
>gearbox forced name change

no, it was being made by an independent studio made up of the original homeworld devs

which gearbox has not taken over

they simply offered the use of the IP to the devs who came up with the IP in the first place

educate urself dumbfuck
>>
>>321088316
>technology resembles real aircraft carriers instead of a cool futuristic spacefarer ones
How the does a "cool futuristic spacefarer" aircraft carrier look? An aircraft carrier is essentially just a fucking flat surface strapped on top of a vehicle.
>too little factions
>bad map design
>and lastly a lack of combat that allows more than "move into range and fire".
How the fuck did you get all that from this screenshot?
>>
>>321088161
When the next renaissance of the RTS genre comes about.

AFAIK the rights for the franchise are currently in one of those black holes that are US IP laws.
>>
>>321088316
>cool futuristic spacefarer

you have looked into the game enough to realize the game is set before the people of kharak went to space or developed any of the appropriate technology to do so, right???

>gleaming all that shit from a single screenshot

oh, you obviously don't know shit, lol

seriously what is with people in this thread chatting shit when they obviously don't know anything about the game
>>
>>321085097

Looks like Ashes of the Singularity
>>
>>321088316
>implying we haven't already reached the apex of aircraft carrier top deck layout and design
>implying something so practical needs to changed for the sake of looking futuristic
>>
>remake Homeworld using the Homeworld 2 engine instead of remaking Homeworld 2 using the Homeworld engine
Fucking retarded.
>>
>>321089586
But it's so pretty!
>>
>>321087714
actually from trailers and short gameplay snippets it feels very much like HW game.
>>
>>321088707
>>321088917
It's not like you know anything about the game to redeem it either. It's just "m-muh Homeworld" nostalgia carrying your hopes. After what Gearbox did with Duke Nukem Forever, Colonial Marines and Homeworld Remastered you should know they give a shit about the quality as long as the franchise name sells and nets them a profit.

The screenshot in question is of low quality for an advertisement approved bullshit and has very little to none remarkable features - they tried to show the best they could and yet it's simply below average and looks underwhelming.

This game is going to bomb and I'm fairly certain my assessment is correct, in particularly as I've seen the other images and videos.

>>321089484
>no VTOL
>no angled ramp
>no missle and UAV defense on top, no turrets like one would expect from Homeworld's technological setting
>control tower not matching art style
>tarmac with earthen track markings not befitting the Homeworld race and (ship) visual styles
Doesn't go more uninspired and low-tech than that unless they went into steampunk. :^)
>>
>>321090576
>B-But Gearbox!

They aren't making the game
>>
>>321085097
I don't care.
What I want is a demo to try this.
>>
>>321091204
il definitely torrent it for campaign if its good il buy it for online.
>>
>>321091365
>pirating Homeworld
>>
>>321090576
Gearbox didn't develop duke nukem forever dipshit. Apogee fucked it up for a decade, then gearbox bought it from them and made it playable as a favor because 2k was going to sue the pants of apogee if the game wasn't released soon.
>>
>>321085097
I don't see the problem with this.
I'm just mad that it probably won't have base building.
>>
>>321090576
There could be VTOL we just havent seen it

The deck is angled, unless you mean a fucking ramp get out of here britcuck

Too small to see, also, no modern carrier carries a turret

Yes it does

Yeah mybe they got lazy with that

Any of these concerns can be adressed with a simple reskin or new model, and I can see plenty of different crawler models being made if the game will have mod tools that is.
>>
>>321091710
>buying modern remakes
>hell buying anything
>>
>>321090576
Gearbox is a publisher senpai.
>>
>>321092082
Good. The original Homeworld games didn't have it either.

>>321092196
>this
>a remake
>>
is homeworld any good?
should I buy it?
its on sale
>>
>>321092630
Yeah but play the classic version of the first one that comes with the collection. Has the better engine
>>
>>321085097
Wait, in the enemy units, thats the Kiith Gaalsein logo isn't it?
>A Kiith exiled and persecuter having better technology than the Sjets with the backup of the other Kiiths
I don't like where this seems to be going
>>
>>321092834
just got it
what am I in for?
what do I need to know?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.