[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game is now officially podracing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 6
File: 2015-12-22_00015.jpg (304 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-22_00015.jpg
304 KB, 1152x864
This game is now officially podracing
>>
>>321073526
I watched a stream of this game the other evening. Is it as buggy and boring of a mess as it looks?
>>
>>321073826
Not buggy, at all.

Not boring to play, either. Watching a stream of this a single-player TB game would always be boring,
>>
>tfw took me 30 min to learn how to reload

Perhaps I shouldn't have skipped the tutorial.
>>
>>321073526
tfw game makes you realize you're a baby

>want a map, it doesn't need to have quest markers
>want a one-way fast travel back to base, it doesn't need to work bellow full health or near enemies

i'm 26 and this is embarrassing
>>
>>321074328
I had to ask a friend.

and I'm still grinding just so I can equip the armor I want to wear

I need to be level 16 before I can use it

18 for tungsten
>>
What's it called I got 4 more hours until I need to get back to my overpaid wageslave code monkey job.
>>
>>321073526
what game is this? reminds me a lot of Nar Shadar from KotOR
>>
>>321073526
>get all the cool telekinesis stuff on paper
>in practice it's another pew pew fireball mage

There's a reason why games are a visual medium. I understand that wrpg crowd seems impervious to change but no TECHNOLOGY means no evolution. Fallout was an advanced RPG for its time, why are his spiritual successors devolving?

This is hardly applicable to Undertale given that making video games is pretty hard if you're not omnipotent. Still a dissapointing manifestation.
>>
>>321073526
It's a shame it's so ugly, it looks like they put a lot of time into the RPG mechanics and such.
>>
>>321075172
Underrail

buy it.
>>
>>321075172
>>321075401

underrail
>>
>>321074661
You're a baby for wanting a game not to waste your time? Lack of stuff like that makes sense in a surreal experience like Yume Nikki, but even obtuse games like La-Mulana offer tons of amenities for the player.
>>
>>321075449
eh the forcefield ability can be useful if you're creative.

and bethesda's entries in the fallout series are ass. I'd rather have a game like Underrail which has a very indepth crafting system and strong story telling system than their poorly made copy-paste FPS Zombie.
>>
>>321075449
isn't it described as controlling rapid, localized temperature change? how was fireballs surprising?
>>
>>321075783
Fallout 3 had better exploration model and gameplay depth than Black Isle Fallouts. Sure, it lacked when writing is concerned, combat was arse (still better than Black Isle shit) but games are visual and interactive experiences first and foremost.
>>
>>321074661

It definately needs a map. It's easy to keep track of the levels up until Depot A, but after that when the game opens up then holy shit you're in trouble.
>>
>>321075449
>wrpg crowd seems impervious to change
>More changes in WRPGs in the last decade than JRPGs
Stay delusional.
>>
>>321075831
Depiction of magick (or psi) in games is never subtle except for throwing things around which few games do because they lack TECHNOLOGY. I know it's unreasonable to ask for shimmering air and clothing gradually bursting into flame, spread of fire over the room, smoke and stuff like that, it's only 2015 after all.
>>
>>321073526
Game?
>>
>>321076107
>wrpg vs jrpg circlejerk war

I really don't see any 'changes' to wrpg model since ever. Please refrain from mentioning other genres because it's not a topic here. The last good wrpg I played was Arx Fatalis because it tried to do something with gameplay. Anything that's not action RPG has been exactly the same or worse for 30 years.
>>
I thought that was Habbo for a second
>>
Played it for quite a while.

Undertale keeps getting BTFO. Not GoTY, not even best indie game and now not even the best game to come out in 2015 to have Under in the title.

Get rekt furries.
>>
>>321076107
But anon, most popular western RPG games, Lisa and Undertale both use discarded JRPG mechanics from early 90s and look like they're made in a RPG maker (are they?).
>>
>>321076260
UNDERRAIL. READ THE FUCKING THREAD FOR THE NAME OF THE GAME.
>>
>>321075973
nah

Fallout 3's story was inferior in all ways possible, it's world building was awful and it's exploration has no replay value. Bethesda is good at building atmospheric experiences but those atmospheres have no depth.

The capital wasteland has no farms to provide people with food, it has no reason to be a desert, it has no reason for there to be a shortage of water. A world that is to be explored must make sense.

Fallout 3 is a mediocre game on every front and it's exploration suffers from bland enemies, poor gunplay, and pointless restrictions via waist high walls.

Meanwhile to this day Fallout 1 has a very tight narrative, a hauntingly atmospheric apocalyptic backdrop and a solid story.

2 is more whacky and all over the place in terms of tone and a bit too wide open but still better and more consistent than 3 in terms of tone and world building.

Tactics lore flubs in places but again, more consistent tone and worldbuilding.

Items in Fallout 3 and bethesda games are generated via loot lists or lazy procedural handling. That also has a nasty impact that takes away from their exploration value.

Fallout 3, quite simply, is a bad fallout game. It's an okay game in and of itself but I give it a C at most. Passing but it needs a lot more work to be considered good.
>>
>>321075973
plus it had better memes
>>
>>321076127
an obsession with graphical fidelity is the single most cancerous thing to happen to game development in the entire history of gaming.
>>
>>321076010
>>321075579
/v/ has made me think any convenience is shit. this board has ruined me.
>>
Is this the new meme game?
>>
>>321076751
you're a meme, baby.
>>
>>321074661
It seriously needs a map though
>>
>>321076723

>giving a shit what some fucking /v/irgin thinks

C'mon anon, not having a map in a game like this is beyond retarded. There is no roleplay anyway, it's only straight up combat with roguelike difficulty.

And there is fast travel, which comes in the form of trains and boats.
>>
>>321077006
It needs a fucking keychain, my inventory is 60% keys.
>>
>>321076689
obsession with graphical fidelity has literally always been a thing in videogames
>>
>>321077065
There's plenty of roleplay in your responses to other people. I took up an epic quest to go fishing this morning.
>>
Could you stop shilling this game?
>>
I may give up on crafting. Investing in it now seems too late and could take away from my other skills.

>>321077159
That too.
>>
>>321076959
>you're a meme, baby.

Hello Benny from New Vegas.
>>
>>321077212
Compare the length of Dues Ex one to HR.

AAA devs need to start making actual game rather than wank off to polygons and engines
>>
>>321077317

You get a few options, but there is only one way to solve quests.

Speaking of quests, would be fun if they updated with actual information. If you stop playing for 3 months and then return you will have no idea what to go.

Or where to go, because there is no fucking map.
>>
>>321076274
>Anything that's not action RPG has been exactly the same or worse for 30 years.
>Wizardry 1 the same as Baldur's Gate the same as Underrail
As I said, stay delusional.

>>321076373
>discarded JRPG mechanics from early 90s
First of all they aren't discarded because we STILL have the same old turn based JRPG shit today that the genre's been for fucking years. Secondly those so called JRPG mechanics were all ripped from WRPG mechanics/concepts.The difference being that WRPG stopped using those mechanics after about 1981 or 1983; JRPG still uses those mechanics today. Sure you got something like Tales which took a more actiony route, but those games really haven't changed much after Symphonia.

Thankfully we have Square finally breathing new life into the JRPG by doing something different with Lightning Returns, FF VII remake, and FF XV.
>>
>>321077491
Best items in the game come from crafting.
>>
>>321074870
Tungsten armor? That sounds retarded.
>>
>>321077571
FF7 Really doesn't deserve a remake
>>
>>321075551
>>321075539
>le ebin memegame reference

ha-ha, very funny. now what's it called
>>
Is hunting actually viable?
>>
>>321077784
For money not so much.

Good for getting consumables and armor crafting pieces.
>>
>>321077495
Let's keep this in the groove, hey? Smooth memes, like smooth little babies.
>>
>>321076689
First of all, Fallout 3 uses an outdated engine, it's fidelity is horrendous. But it's very open to modding which is good. Second, exploration model is a design tenet, has nothing to do with textures. Same with VATS which ironically innovated more than anything Black Isle / Obsidian ever did. Thirdly, TECHNOLOGY is not the same as fidelity even though they are often related.
>>
>>321077642
I'm not surprised but hacking, lockpicking and some other skills have priorityright now
>>
>>321077935
I was talking to that anon asking for graphical wank in psi/magic.

Start a fallout thread if you want to wank off to Bethesda's new cash cow.
>>
File: 1421620271908.jpg (2 MB, 2250x1500) Image search: [Google]
1421620271908.jpg
2 MB, 2250x1500
Fun fact: Underrail is the first proper video game to come out of Serbia, made in essence by one guy. I guess its best hope for coverage outside RPGCodex is if an eceleb took a liking for it and posted some gameplay videos / streams.

It's sad that ecelebs have a stranglehold on indie video games ever since the advent of Yogscast. Go to a twitter of any 500+ viewers streamer (or less) and you'll see game devs denigrating themselves, subscribing, commenting in hope their game gets played next.
>>
>>321077760
As long as it gets Square an excuse to try to bring life back into JRPGs in some way shape or form I don't care if it's FF7 or even shit tier FF8. It's not that I don't like traditional JRPGs. Big fan particularly of SMT 1, 2, Nocturne, DDS games, and Persona 3/4, but I just want something new from JRPGs.
>>
>>321077965
You can export your character, items and all, back to start if you don't mind losing some progress.
>>
>>321078214
How about you go back to your hugbox and stop telling people not to do something that triggers you?
>>
>>321078318
Well you're not wrong, if there's any innovation in the rpg scene in nipland were certainly not seeing it over here
>>
>>321078337
They just patched that out
>>
>>321078440
How about you stop dragging off topic crap into threads you pancake fag?
>>
File: 1382867468944.png (74 KB, 662x635) Image search: [Google]
1382867468944.png
74 KB, 662x635
>>321077784

You use it to craft shit like hypos.

Not that needed if you level Pickpocket, since you will be swimming in healing items. Core City alone can give you around 60 advanced healing hypos. That's problably more than you will ever use.

>>321077491

You get the best items in the game via crafting and it WILL make a difference.

>>321077965

You should level them at start, but don't be afraid to ignore them a level or two after to give you some crafting stats. Don't forget you have stat and item modifiers that increase your lockpicking and hacking, like the Jack-knife, or better lockpicks or haxxors
>>
>no map

JUST FUCKING WHY. EVEN OLD ASS 90s DUNGEON CRAWLERS HAD FUCKING MAPS.
>>
>>321078695
Don't forget the use of omni tools and vents
>>
File: 1380741684949.png (91 KB, 645x428) Image search: [Google]
1380741684949.png
91 KB, 645x428
>>321078620

No, they didn't. It's been in the game since start, and it's still in the game.

>start new game
>do tutorial and get tons of starter items including ballistic vest
>export character
>start a new game and import your character
>skip tutorial
>take all the stuff in your quarters including 200 credits and a bunch of bandages and hypos
>rinse and repeat

Alternatively you can also go down to the armory, steal some shit on the shelves there and then immediately export and do the same procedure again.

>>321078714

Immersion! :^)
>>
>>321077571
>>Wizardry 1 the same as Baldur's Gate the same as Underrail

Compare Wizardry 1 to the newest one. Baldur's Gate to Pillars of Eternity. Underrail to Fallout. No advancement within a subgenre. Different genres =/= progress, they've always been here.

I have no idea why you had the need to mention JRPGs, you need to see a shrink about that sort of triggering in real life. Claiming that Japan ripped Western games off gameplay wise is beyond ridiculous. I don't play JRPGs much but I remember Xenoblade Chronicles having a sword which can offer you a glimpse into the near future which you can then influence in combat.

Also Wizardry today is basically a JRPG.
>>
>>321078658
As I've said, find a hugbox. Bethesda revived Fallout franchise. Underrail is heavily inspired by Black Isle Fallout. It's fair to discuss stagnation and revival at the same time. Not that you'll be the judge of that.
>>
>>321079206
Bethesda didn't revive the franchisr they bought the IP and cynically adapted it for broad appeal without understanding it. Fallout 3 has no place in this discussion, it's not isometric, turnbased, and it's barely a fallout game.
>>
>>321080291
>It's not a real Fallout!

okay anon.
>>
>>321079029
Honestly Wizardry was massively popular in Japan. Look up the releases of wizardry, there are more "for japan, by japan" wizardry titles than there are of western wizardry releases.
>>
>>321079028
I just read the notes that said it was removed but ok
>>
>>321080626
Most good dungeon crawlers are Japanese games. Basically every turn based game with good gameplay is Japanese, notable exceptions being XCom, Jagged Alliance 2, Temple of Elemental Evil and some Slav games like Silent Storm.

Underrail is similar to Age of Decadence in a sense that it's one protagonist and tons of differing builds but AoD had much better pacing and actually good art direction.
>>
>>321080636

Actually, you're partially right, you can no longer export during the tutorial, but you can export after that.
>>
>>321081225
I like Underrail's art direction personally. Less is more.
>>
>>321076391
Now I've done it, I've gone and made anon angry. Sorry senpai! I'll try harder next time.
>>
>>321081647

>Less is more.

I wish more people understood this, because seriously, less is sometimes more. Just look at Dark Souls and its lore.
>>
>>321081859
If you want at an even better example, look at Final Fantasy concept art versus in-game sprites. Much better. This applies to FF6 especially.
>>
>>321073526

I bought it, installed it, convince me to play it /v/

the only reason I'm not is that I'm too busy with the awesome campaign in world in conflict and I'm jumping this shit as soon as I finish it, but do it anyway /v/
>>
>>321079029
>Compare Wizardry 1 to the newest one
Very different games

>Baldur's Gate to Pillars of Eternity
>Underrail to Fallout
>Compare professional games to indie games that are more or less clones

Yeah get that shit out of here. Lets check out big RPGs released this year:

WRPG

The Witcher 3 which is a huge change from The Witcher 2 which was a huge change from The Witcher

Undertale whose innovations I shouldn't even have to bring up.

The Age Of Decadence which is like a weird combo of Fallout and Morrowind

Shadowrun Hong Kong which may seem like just another TRPG/SRPG on the outside, but actually has a pretty interesting idea (won't spoil since it directly has to do with the endgame.)

Then you have all the games that are inspirations/pseudoclones of classic games: Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeon, Underrail

What does JRPG have to offer this year?

Monster Hunter 4 that plays like the other Monster Hunter games?

Another derivative Tales game?

Bravely Second which is like BD which is like generic JRPG with another idea of controlling spawns taken from WRPGs?

Fire Emblem Fates which continues the watering down of Fire Emblem?

Legend of Legacy which is as derivative as the SaGa series it's the successor to?

The only interesting one this year is Xenoblade Chronicles X and that, too because it stepped up the exploration from Xenoblade Chronicles otherwise the gameplay is similar but with mechas.
>>
>>321083409
It's Metro with Fallout 1's gameplay with less bugs, psionics as a character build, crafting as a requirement and NG+.

Slow to start but old school goodness.
>>
>>321084116

sounds bretty gud
>>
>>321084278
It IS a turnbased isometric game with no party and a fairly limited quest sloution system, no map, and a manual journal system. You have to keep your own notes.

So there's that. If oldschool RPGs are your jam pick it up.
>>
>>321085663
>manual journal system

does it look like in stonekeep? you had some kind of a big as fuck book, where you had to make your own notes as well as marking your own waypoints on the map
>>
>>321086157
No map I'm afraid.

Your character has a wrist computer and you hve a "notes" section.

You write whatever you want in it.
>>
>>321086157
not 100% manual to be clear but the part that's automatic is bare bone like "complete bobs task and then return to harry."
>>
>>321083497
>memegame
stopped reading right there
>>
>>321074661
I just wish you could run faster in cleared-areas
>>
>>321084116
The game is boring and repetetive as fuck, don't even ocmpare it to Fallout.

>>321085663
Wrong, there is a journal you fuckwit. It show every quest and where to get it.
>>
>>321086995
Fallout 3 babby spotted
>>
>>321087096
memetale homosexual spotted
>>
>>321086995

Except the journal is absolute shit. It doesn't update and doesn't tell anything, at fucking all. A good example is once you're about to embark on the GMS warehouse mission. It just says "complete Gorskys assignment" and that's about it.
>>
>>321081859
>>321081647
Underrail is far from minimalistic in any way.
>>
File: 1449806974635.jpg (236 KB, 1280x1047) Image search: [Google]
1449806974635.jpg
236 KB, 1280x1047
>>321087203
maybe
>>
>>321077571
>This real time pleb taking shit
lel
>>
>>321083497
undertale didn't really innovate much though, beyond maybe parts of the combat system. sparing enemies and the ability to play 'pacifist runs' has been a thing for years, while most else of how combat works is a mishmash of other RPGs, like earthbound.
doesn't make it any less of a good game, but it certainly doesn't belong in this conversation
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.