[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vive "Tech Breakthough"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 15
File: HTC-Vive1.jpg (41 KB, 700x485) Image search: [Google]
HTC-Vive1.jpg
41 KB, 700x485
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-reason-for-the-htc-vive-delay-was-a-very-very-big-tech-breakthrough/?utm_content=buffera745c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgfb

What could it be /v/? Wireless? Higher resolution? Eyeball tracking? Literally nothing?

Also VR headset general I guess. Get your head and wagglesticks ready.
>>
I love speculating but it seems pointless to put a lot of thought into this because we are going to find out in just 2 weeks.

Still, my guesses:
-Eye tracking
-Vastly improved optics
-Haptic feedback somehow

It's tough to speculate on this because who knows if "breakthrough" is actual or PR spin. If it's a real breakthrough I almost expect something completely new, not features we've heard about before.
>>
>HTC
Wow it's fucking nothing.
>>
File: hl3 confirmed.png (564 KB, 839x440) Image search: [Google]
hl3 confirmed.png
564 KB, 839x440
its HL3
you heard it here first
>>
>>321073817
>Cher Wang
Same woman who said that there is a half life game for the Vive. So she is just misinformed. No breakthroughs here.
>>
>>321074045
What is this image implying?
>>
>>321074172
Shes not misinformed at all, shes a habitual liar. HTC is a company circling the drain and they're trying to do everything possible to drum up hype and consumer confidence, even if its short term.
>>
>>321074318
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABHl77XR8UA
>>
>>321072491
I think they've managed to make it seriously easier on the hardware. Like some super-rendering that only render one eye, but makes it looks like both and in 3D, or something. Things like Eye tracking, or haptic feedback forces the need of of more testing and new dev-kits to developers. I think a significant hardware change would be too expensive for them at the moment.
>>
>>321072491
Circular pixel array as in.. circular pixels
>>
>>321075192
This isn't a hardware break through. Dot matrix OLED screens have been around for years.
>>
I'm hoping for a decent size reduction myself. Everything else I can deal with on it, but if they can reduce the bulk it'd be pretty nice.
>>
>>321075073
I think it is significant enough to warrant delaying the release 4 months. That's the thought anyway, they said they've delayed it because of a hardware upgrade.
>>
>>321075659
That could also just mean they're lying.
>>
>>321075951
If they are it's going to be PR suicide. I don't see why they needed to say "breakthrough" if it wasn't, there are plenty of other ways to put a spin on a delay... such as "we need more time to refine the product for the best experience"

Oculus has been delaying for years without saying hardly anything other than "it will be done when it's done"
>>
>>321076365
>Oculus has been delaying for years without saying hardly anything other than "it will be done when it's done"
Yeah. That's kinda of annoying. Expecially since the version they plan on releasing doesn't sound any different than the one I tried at GDC... last year? The year before? I don't remember.
>>
>yfw its low price, low-latency, high-precision full and light weight full body straps with hapt feedback

>yfw the press conference demo has has martial artist in a fightinng game in real time

>also a light saber demo like in that wii commercial, but this time is the real deal
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (144 KB, 369x550) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
144 KB, 369x550
A monster MMO with full VR support

pls
>>
File: Chinman.jpg (27 KB, 216x311) Image search: [Google]
Chinman.jpg
27 KB, 216x311
>Falling for marketing ploys

Words are cheap, I'm not touching VR with a ten foot pole until it's a verified success.
>>
>>321077425
>MMO
Stop.
>>
>>321077283
vr antishills would still claim it's a gimmick

my body is ready for virtual loli cuddling
>>
>>321077283

>small chamber in members and joints
>with four or more sides with pressure detectors.
>also each with an air inlet
>every time you move, preasured air goes in the oposite direction, pressuring the detectors

Wouldn't this make it cheap and high precision/response?
>>
>>321072491
a elegant position tracking? last time I remember occulus used the external camera thing
>>
>>321072491
It's probably something significant from the tech side but ultimately noticeable on the consumer side, like how it projects lights around your room and your headset uses cameras to see the light and measure 3d motion, whereas the rift does it the other way around and has something on your desk or entertainment center that tracks where the headset is.
>>
>>321079309
The Vive uses external laser tracking. It's supposedly more accurate than the oculus, but having tried the oculus, I'm not sure I could notice. Mebbe
>>
Reminder that the lady who made this statement (Cher Wang) also made the "we are cooperating directly with Half-Life" statement.

She's HTC's CEO now.
>>
>>321079485
Nope, they're both around the same accuracy. Those statements are by shills or people who don't know what they're talking about. The way Lighthouse and Constellation work is that they mainly derive position using IMUs, but since the data you get from them is acceleration, and integrating that to get position accumulates errors resulting in drift, the external solution provides periodic correction. It would not be inaccurate to call them "drift correction systems."
>>
>>321079629
>She's HTC's CEO now.
Hm. Wonder how that works.

I imagine there's a language gap? Where is HTC?
>>
>>321080030
Got ya. Like I said the rift was near perfect so far as I could tell. So long as the refresh rate is set high enough what they have now is fine by me.
>>
File: fack.jpg (17 KB, 293x233) Image search: [Google]
fack.jpg
17 KB, 293x233
>All this redundant tech talk about a dead on arrival platform
>people constantly dismiss PSVR
>Everyone will be taken by surprise when PSVR sells 5x more than both Rift and Vive together
>Rift/Vive will only get indie and kickstarter games
>PSVR will be the one actually pushing third party devs to make their games VR-compatible because it'll create the market for them.
>More and more games will come out VR-compatible thanks to PSVR,
>They just so happen to be multiplat and so are released on PC too
>Everyone will thank Gaben for the games while still calling PSVR shit

can't wait
>>
>>321080038

HTC is a Taiwanese company.
>>
File: 2015.jpg (147 KB, 1438x380) Image search: [Google]
2015.jpg
147 KB, 1438x380
>>321080554
done

Can't wait for you to eat your own words
>>
>>321079629

reminder she knows nothing of technology and only has a bachelors in economics.
>>
>>321080554
Pretty much every UE4 and unity game can have rift support with minimal work. UE4 also supports Vive. Not sure if Unity does (prolly)
>>
>>321072491
Rip Oculus, you got what you deserved for selling your souls to Facebook.
>>
>>321081557

They both support OpenVR which supports any HMD.
>>
I hope facebook rift fails hard. Fucking peripheral exclusive games is bullshit.
>>
It now comes with a tiny camera you tuck into your foreskin so you can see what's happening in there at all times without taking the Vive off.
>>
>>321081189
ok m8

>>321081557
Even is PSVR doesnt get any exclusives, even if all VR headsets are on an equal standing when it comes to games, PSVR will still get the largest market by far

Just look at the difference between console and high-end PC players right now. Even games that run on toasters sell more on consoles 9 out of 10 times

the same will apply to VR. No matter how better the PC solutions are.
>>
What is the purpose of eye tracking? I thought if you moved your eyes you'd be looking at the inside of the goggle rather than the screen.
>>
>>321082564

Eye tracking is very useful for foveated rendering. This means that if your HMD knew exactly where you were looking it could render only that particular point in much higher fidelity. It would be a breakthrough as far as performance goes and let devs make games with much, much prettier graphics.
>>
When the fuck are these things coming out?
All I ever see are hype threads and empty promises, what's the projected release date?
>>
>>321082564
the FOV is like 100+ degrees, plenty of room to use eye tracking.

eye tracking can be used for foveated rendering, which is when the part of the screen you are looking directly at is rendered at a higher quality than the rest.
>>
>>321072491
>People actually buying the Facebook rift when this exists
>>
>>321083054
Let's be explicit here, foveated rendering would be such a big deal, that it would make the difference between photorealistic graphics, and not photorealistic graphics. It would make the difference in being able to run full desktop applications on mobile. It is the holy grail we're talking about here.
>>
>>321083092
the GearVR is already out, the Rift and Vive are both slated for Q1 2016. we are literally in the final months before mainstream VR.
>>
File: P6PHrbQ.jpg (313 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
P6PHrbQ.jpg
313 KB, 1280x720
Not quite the same, but uncharted uses a similar technique where they render at a much higher solution when you zoom in. It's how they manage to have amazing graphics on an outdated system.
>>
how is having a giant wire sticking out of your headset while standing/moving not going to feel like shit? how are you going to avoid accidentlly the cable while being blinded? how are you not going to trip over the cable? what am i missing here
>>
>>321082564
>>321083054
>>321083450
It has to be this.
>>
>>321083789
>I can't walk wearing headphones
>>
>>321083054
Better DOF?
>>321083450
Wouldn't you get a stupid amount of popping?
Not to mention, from an artistic standpoint we're still a long ways away from photoreal. Making something photoreal would require huge teams and piles of money.
>>
>>321083054
I never thought about this. It sounds amazing.
>>
>>321083898
no, i cant walk while wearing headphones attached to my pc while blinded, retard.
>>
>>321082274
You're assuming that there's a market for VR on console in the first place.
VR has thus far been successful almost exclusively with enthusiasts. Enthusiasts that by and large don't exist on the console market.

It's like saying that because the wii was successful, PS move will also be successful.
Playstation owners didn't give two shits about motion controls, so no one bought it and no one developed for it.
>>
>>321083054
>>321083256
According to Microsoft's research, gaze-tracking would have to operate at 300hz and the screen would have to be a minimum of 120hz for users not to get sick from the tracking delay. iirc, the Vive is only 90hz, right? If that's the case, it couldn't be eye tracking.
>>
>>321083823
That's right anon. Get excited. It's all your dreams come true.
>>
>>321077283

It's something relating to the headset itself, that's something they could have shipped later as an accessory.
>>
>>321083789
People with experience with the vive say that they get used to it pretty quickly. I think it also helps that they run the cable down their backs.
>>
>>321073974
It's the best VR tech now though
>>
It now squirts a bit of pee in your eye each time you play an underwater game to make it feel more real.
>>
>>321083789
"It's a seated experience"
-Every new wave VR developer out there
>>
>>321084136
ah yes ye old first hand experience from a bunch of people fanatical enough to have tried it. running it down you back does absofuckinglutely nothing to change the fact that the wire must intersect with your pc and you will be fucking blind. maybe if you have to route all your wires on your ceiling but theres also issues with getting jerked or tangled by the wirez and any solution to this comes with another problem.
>>
>>321073974
They're just doing the manufacturing, a lot of the actual functionality is being developed by valve.
>>
>>321084419
this kills a fuckload of potential
>>
>>321079026
>someone opens a window

>all your 'air inputs' go haywire
>>
i would sure hope it's wireless connectivity so I don't have to trip over that fucking cord and go faceplant into the ground and embed shards of screen into my eyes

but it's probably literally nothing
>>
>>321077425
Full PfP VR MMO.
Player fuck Player.
>>
>>321084450
This is coming from the devs that actually have access to one and have been developing on them for months. It's definitely going to be an issue, but it's unlikely to be a show stopper they're well aware of the problem.
>>
>>321080554
Pretty much this.
>>
>>321084419
This is pretty much Oculus's position. If they win the VR wars, we'll be stuck with seated experiences played through facebook's walled garden.
>>
>>321083985

Way, way, way beyond DOF although not entirely dissimilar.

It would let devs create games that blow anything existing out of the water graphically because it would only be rendering the exact point your eyes are focused on in high detail.

It would be way more efficient than a traditional display because you only have to worry about a much smaller area to render, thus you can cram way more visual information into that area using the same amount of power you would have to use to render an entire 2D screen.
>>
>>321083695
Shut the fuck up about gaystation shit reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>321084450
Do you think people are going to be using their rooms as holodecks with this? That you're going to be moving around on foot? You're likely going to be sitting, and using wagglesticks.
>>
>>321084793
>it's unlikely to be a show stopper
lel
kids alread trip over controller cables and they can use their own two eyes and don't need to be standing, hence the rise of wireless controllers.

vr needs wireless among many other gaping logical holes to be addressed.
>>
>>321084963
Source on all of that?
>>
>>321084963
>>321084419
Even if you get the proper set up, how are you going to stop from running into a wall? I guess you can get an omni treadmill, but anything short of that is a retarded concept to start with.
>>
It comes with a magnetic suppository that can be adjusted by sitting on a special magnet cushion into various positions to stimulate your prostate and butthole in every way imaginable.
>>
>>321072491
Some form of low-latency wireless.
>>
>>321084059
By the same token Move still sold more than any (razer, etc) motion controls on PC

But motion controls only stuck with the Wii, and even then the best games of that system ignore them outright, or only use them partially, like in mario galaxy.

VR is being supported by enthusiasts right now because it isn't open to the mass market yet (mobile VR aside), it's only natural.

Once it is, though, the PC solutions wil still only get supported by enthusiasts that have good DYI PCs, while anyone can get a PSVR as long as they have any model of the PS4

If VR fails just like motion controls, the PSVR will still end up selling 5x more than the PC alternatives. But only tens of thousands, instead of hundreds of thousands.

Why do you imagine VR will get more PC attention? Games sell less on PC as is, even when taking into account toasters and mid-range PCs. VR is a high-end only thing.
>>
>>321085052

The Vive will absolutely be capable of walking around VR. It already is and has been since the beginning. And neither Touch or the Vive controllers are Wii style "wagglers", they are 1:1 tracked down to tiny scale and insanely accurate.
>>
>>321085210

Vive uses a system called Chaperone that prevents you from hitting shit IRL with your body or the controllers. When you get too close to walking into a wall or whatever it will show you a boundary.
>>
>>321085281
>By the same token Move still sold more than any (razer, etc) motion controls on PC
That's the point dipshit, different platforms have different demographics.
Sony does not have a demographic that wants VR right now, and they probably won't in the future. Especially with how much a decent VR set fucking costs.

There is already an audience on PC and there are already titles that support it.
>>
>>321085078
Eventually, but wireless tech isn't nearly advanced enough to stream the huge amount of data required. I think the front facing camera on the vive might be useful in detecting the wire.
>>
File: 1450272217707.gif (1 MB, 211x203) Image search: [Google]
1450272217707.gif
1 MB, 211x203
>>321077893

>rape
>full animations
>dota 2 like character icons that move and display lewd faces
>facerig support for ERPing
>>
>>321085296
I know that it's capable, but what viable game are you going to play in your room that wouldn't entail you tripping all over your furniture and running into walls.

The vive has some cameras to warn you when you're going to hit something, but who gives a shit when that ends up preventing you from moving further in the game.

It might work for fighting games, or games where you're stuck on a small boat... or something... But not much more than that.
>>
>>321085690

you lack imagination

walk around VR is already a thing and has been
>>
>>321085151
http://gizmodo.com/oculus-founders-explain-why-youll-likely-stay-seated-in-1713781989

They already have an exclusive store for the oculus as well.
>>
>>321085632
> I think the front facing camera on the vive might be useful in detecting the wire
only when you need to specifically look for it which is not any scenario where you're being hindered by it such as while playing a game.
>>
>>321085078

Just strap a laptop to your back if you want an untethered experience. Otherwise they'll have to build machines into the headset itself, which is totally doable with current tech but it would make the headset super expensive. They're trying to avoid sticker shock as much as possible.
>>
>companies develop VR
>no one wants to be first on market
>>
>>321084630

Well, that would be fucking hilarious to watch at least
>>
>>321086008
Everyone wants to be first.
>>
>>321085921
laptop batteries die in two hours when the cpu and gpu are being pegged by a high resolution graphically intensive game and laptops performance is dogshit and cost prohibitive.
>>
It now comes with a free usb loli dakimakura.
>>
File: Time VR.jpg (61 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Time VR.jpg
61 KB, 600x800
GIMMICK
I
M
M
I
C
K
>>
>>321085831
No, I lack an empty garage to store my holodeck in. The omni treadmill might be fun though.
>>
>>321085921

There is a company that I can't seem to remember the name of right now that is setting up a VR arcade where they'll be able to essentially create custom IRL "maps" that can be skinned in VR for multiple people to play in at once. Their system is powered by system around the size of a Wii U that Nvidia helped them make that you carry around on your back.

I'll try to find the name, but it's a really sweet idea. Basically laser tag on a whole new level.
>>
>LOOK HOW COOL THE VR
>LOOK HOW GREAT IT IS
>JESUS FUCK IT'S SO GOOD
>LOOK IT'S SO TECH WOW

This fucking shit every fucking month about the VRs

Where the fuck are the Video Games

Or they just making the VR so we can have it
>>
>>321085852
Dude what, your source specifically disproves you. And still where is the source for the walled garden? I'm pretty sure being able to use it with Steam and other things freely doesn't make it a walled garden by definition.
>>
>>321081285
Good thing she's CEO and not CTO then.
>>
>>321086098
No, everyone wants to sell the most.

Whoever goes first will basically bear the brunt of needing to get people used to the idea of vr, working out the bugs and actually advertising products, whoever goes second will have the road slicked by the blood of the first guy to produce whatever they want.
>>
>>321085690
They're still video games, most of the first gen games aren't going to involve too much running or strenuous activity. Most of the demos I've seen involve mostly slower and more deliberate movement.

From their testing, they also found that most players treat objects in the game like physical objects and are very hesitant to clip through things like virtual furniture, so most player won't run into the chaperone system out of instinct.
>>
>>321084963
First gen? Most likely. While the Vive has some neat walk-around tech nearly nobody has the space and ability to dedicate a reasonable amount of space to having a worthwhile walk-around experience yet. Including it is nice, but right now I don't see anything being able to use it.

When the technology evolves and we gain a decent way to navigate without having to actually walk around, Oculus will have no choice but to develop their own movement system too; by that point the first generation of hardware will be totally obsolete in the first place.

>>321086276
I always thought that'd be a neat idea, there's quite a few things you could 'remap' into a VR world like that. Related: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33988909
>>
>>321072491
>pcgaymur
There is no reason to listen to anything that comes out of their mouth after the Dragon Age 2 review.
>>
>>321075392
Not the same thing.
>>
>>321085690
Fighting games in VR are more likely to be in 3rd person, first person standing VR games are more likely to be slower paced things like puzzlers and sandboxes.

>>321086008
Oculus has cemented their spot as first to market unless Sony does something batshit like announcing preorders Christmas Day and starts shipping on January 1st.
>>
>>321086496
Decent site, but ignore the reviews entirely.
>>
File: baby jumpers.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
baby jumpers.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>321085690
There, problem solved
>>
>>321086637
lel
>>
File: Rapture-NAKED-cropped-1.jpg (152 KB, 1920x1239) Image search: [Google]
Rapture-NAKED-cropped-1.jpg
152 KB, 1920x1239
>>321086276
Are you refering to The Void? It's an interesting concept but I think they'll have a niche market for a while.
>>
>>321086345
They're shipping with one front facing camera and an xbox one controller. The touch and additional cameras are sold separately, so devs are going to be forced to limit themselves to the lowest common denominator.
>>
File: 1313127476687.png (54 KB, 256x352) Image search: [Google]
1313127476687.png
54 KB, 256x352
>>321086206
>"boy, why did they pick a picture of an autistic child for the cover of time?"
>read the caption
>>
>>321086637
Imagine dying in one from cardiac arrest and then they find you in that, naked with your dick dangling out though a hole in the front, pee on the floor and the image of a badly modelled hentai porn game burned into the screen.
>>
>>321086276
>>321086412

I found it. There are two doing this actually.

Zero Latency

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/zero-latency-vr-entertainment-revolution-begins-melbourne-australia/

https://www.zerolatencyvr.com/

and The Void

http://www.roadtovr.com/first-hands-on-the-void-a-mixed-reality-experience-that-blends-real-and-virtual/

Both are basically in "beta" stages but this could lead to the re-birth of the arcade and imo that would be dope as fuck.
>>
>>321076538
Oculus has a hard q1 2016 release date, final versions of CV1 have been shipped to devs. They literally have to release it by this point.

It's improved drastically over the years. 1080p per eye, 110 degree fov, weighs the same as a baseball cap, 240 Hz positional tracking and 90 FPS standard.

Unless you demoed it in the past three months or so, you haven't tried the final version.
>>
>>321086276

Good AR laser tag is essentially my dream game.
>>
>>321087049
>re-birth of the arcade
I said this quite a long time ago; VR is a perfect opportunity for an arcade resurgance because it gives a PRIME opportunity to bring in more varied spaces and technology you just can't get at home. Probably not as cost-effective as old machines were, but still a market I think would be a pretty interesting area to watch.
>>
>>321086339
There's a bunch of games that work natively with Dk2, and literally over a hundred that work with VorpX.
Hell, people have even got Dolphin working in VR. Search metroid prime VR on YouTube.
>>
>>321085690
Walking around VR is the first step into augmented reality where your shitty ass couch can turn into a luxurious king's sofa.
>>
>>321086968
>so devs are going to be

You should better connect yourself with the actual developer community before saying that, because if you were, you'd know of how they've already made a lot of decisions now, and no they are not thinking like that. They are targeting whatever they want, not what Oculus is first shipping with.
>>
File: pp.png (1012 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
pp.png
1012 KB, 1280x800
>>321087574
VR and AR are very different technologies which you can't really compare. There's a fuckton more work needs to go into effective AR because of the sheer challenge of low-latency accurate 3D mapping on the device itself.

Microsoft are making pretty good headway in that area though, it'll be interesting to see how Hololens plays out because the technology from that will almost certainly bleed into VR hardware to improve that.
>>
>>321087123
>Unless you demoed it in the past three months or so, you haven't tried the final version.
No, been about a year or so.
>>
>>321085632
>wireless tech isn't nearly advanced enough

https://www.ted.com/talks/harald_haas_wireless_data_from_every_light_bulb
>>
>>321087123
He's kinda right though. The differences from Crescent Bay to CV1 aren't huge like the jumps from DK1 -> HD Prototype -> DK2 -> CB. They improved the optics and ergonomics but nothing major in comparison. And Crescent Bay was announced over a year ago now.
>>
>>321088456
It's not exactly surprising that you can transmit data like that; I remember seeing a trial of firing a laser from the top to the bottom of a skyscraper to transmit data and it worked fine.

I find the concept of powering things over ambient WiFi cooler myself, but it'll probably never have the capacity to power something worthwhile.
>>
>>321087915
it's semantics really vr augments reality and coukd be designed to serve any augmented/virtual reality purposes in fact in the future i'd imagine most headsets of being capable of projecting laser light signals into your eyes or functioning as a vr display.
>>
>>321087915
I don't think the Hololens tech will end up in AR over the long term, the tech supposedly behind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0-JRa9n94 looks a lot more practical than Hololens.
>>
My guess: absolutely fucking nothing

>>321080554
>>321081189
>>321082274
remember ps move?
sony love to jump on a fad but they never follow it up
>>
>>321088904
PSMove is a portion of VR, and Sony's been working on VR for a while now.
>>
>>321088864
Right now, it seems like it's a case of 'making sure shit works before going full ham', the biggest example of that is their little Minecraft demo. Hololens is still super primitive because of the awful display, but apparently the 3D tracking is up to snuff on devices like it, so it wouldn't surprise me if a rival company like that is immediately going as balls-deep into the 'aspirational' AR endgame with having robots flying around and stuff.

With both the ML and Hololens though, until we can try it ourselves, everything is hush-hush behind closed doors. It's a little difficult to give an accurate opinion on comparisons right now.
>>
>>321089494
True. Hopefully both AR products hit the market sometime later next year, I'm excited to see what they really have to offer.
>>
Unless the breakthrough is that it's all of a sudden reasonably priced for consumers then I don't give a shit.
>>
>>321090392

Why would you expect first generation enthusiast tech to be cheap?
>>
>>321090392
>'Vive VR is going to be priced as a premium product!'
I don't think they quite understand the idea behind people being hesitant to invest in an emerging technology. I see them quite easily pricing themselves out of a decent market share, which would be a shame because it would hand Oculus a stranglehold over the industry which is a super bad thing where there's a lot of areas that are ripe for R&D.
>>
>>321090719

We don't know the pricing yet, but the Vive shouldn't end up that much more than the CV1 once you factor in that you have to buy the Touch controllers separately.

Either way you're looking at $1500-2000 for a full setup including the PC, and both companies seem to be fine with targeting the enthusiast market this gen. GearVR and PSVR will have the biggest userbase by a mile, but if you want the real deal high-end shit it's going to cost.
>>
File: ps4-access-large3-640x334.jpg (25 KB, 640x334) Image search: [Google]
ps4-access-large3-640x334.jpg
25 KB, 640x334
>>321088904
If the fad sells, they will.

Why would they continue Move when it wasn't being supported by the public?

But actually they did. every PS4 controller is a move controller. It has positional tracking, the light, gyroscope, etc
I never paid attention to the move, but I think they have all the same sensors.
You can type with the DS4 with yaw/pitch/roll, instead of using the D-pad to select each letter, and you don't need a camera.

When the PSVR launches, every PS4 already comes with a "move" controller. People may need to buy the camera, if it doesn't come packaged with PSVR (I would assume it will) for good positional tracking, but other VR headsets also need sensors/camera for that.

Most VR gaming won't require 2 seperate motion controlers. DS4 is a normal controller with the same (or near the same) functionality as the move added to it. But if need be Sony will simply ship more Move controllers, if production stopped at all, I really don't know.
If VR gets attention it won't be because of motion controls on each hand, but in spite of them. Most people just want to be comfy in their sofa with a normal controller playing video games that don't rely on motion

Stuff like being in the cockpit in AceCombat7, or driving in VR with headtracking in GTsport, or if FIFA implements a VR mode and nothing gameplay/perspective-related would change, you'd simply feel like you were watching from within the stadium, that alone would push a lot of casuals to VR.

I don't think most people are looking for new alien ways of controlling games, just headtracking and added immersion.
>>
>>321091259
>GearVR and PSVR will have the biggest userbase by a mile

I wouldn't be so sure about that to be honest. GearVR only works with a select few models of Samsung device, and last I heard the PSVR is going to be rather expensive too. I can't imagine people are going to be willing to pay double what the PS4 cost for a peripheral for it.

Though I'd fucking love to get to play AC7 in VR.
>>
File: N++.gif (1 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
N++.gif
1 MB, 540x304
>>321091574
>double what the PS4 cost for a peripheral for it.
Sony said it would cost the same, not double.

It'll be around the same price as Rift

Difference being the hardware behind your VR experience. high-end PC solutions are 1000€+, while a PS4 throughout next year will be 350€ and then 300€ (promotions/discounts that make it even cheaper aside, with those I'm not surprised if people get one for 250€ next year)

Not to mention that right now there are more PS4 owners than high-end DYI tower PC gamers
>>
>>321090392
350 is the likely price point for these devices, as its the first wave of technology designed for those who are already interested. Like the other guy said, its for enthusiasts.
>>
>>321092232
There's another crucial factor too, and that's the accessibility. I didn't consider the fact that any PS4 booth in a store could be hooked up with PSVR, where it's a lot harder to get to demo a Rift or Vive. Marketing is a pretty big key with something like this which you have to have played to get the appeal.

I'm just curious as to what the box they include with it is for. It's no secret that the PS4 isn't some powerhouse, and how the PSVR is actually being fed a 60Hz video feed with some complex interpolation I've forgotten the name of. Curious to see if the box removes a large percentage of the overhead the PS4 would have from rendering at forced 1080p resolution/60fps framerate.

The wildcard I think in this whole scenario is the possibility of Microsoft furthering their Oculus partnership to include hardware support on the Xbone, it'd be interesting to see how things would fare if a cross-platform solution emerged.
>>
>>321072491
>Literally nothing
most likely. Like some component will not run 10% better or use 12% less power.
>>
>>321093054
My personal guess is a filter or screen configuration which reduces the amount you can notice the individual components of a single pixel. It probably won't be something mindblowing, but a little tweak that does actually make quite a difference to the end 'quality' of the experience.
>>
>>321092232
>Not to mention that right now there are more PS4 owners than high-end DYI tower PC gamers
I'm not sure that's true, but if VR takes off any any platform it'll influence the industry as a whole. So I'm optimistic either way.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.