[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Witcher series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: cozy meme house.gif (298 KB, 834x870) Image search: [Google]
cozy meme house.gif
298 KB, 834x870
How do I grow to like (and possibly love) The Witcher games? I tried the first one, and it was just awful. But that one, is one that even fans of the series would attest is rather weak.

Would it be alright to start at a later installment? Possibly even TW3?
>>
>>321051149
2 is great
>>
nah, you're fucked. If you didn't like the first game, you won't like the others.

They're very story driven games and you actually have to like Geralt as a character to enjoy them and have a vested interest in them.

It isn't like playing an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game where your main character is mostly a blank slate for you to self-insert yourself with.
>>
>>321051149
Why do you have to? Just because others are playing and liking it does not mean you should too.
>>
>>321051149

I played vanilla TW1 on the easiest difficulty and it was tolerable, I guess. Just concentrate on the story and stuff, you can rush if you wish. I got over 30h.

Playing TW2 after TW1 is like having a warm shower after 2 weeks living in the forest in November. You feel blessed, the combat feels wonderful etc. The story is also engaging, the characters feel alive and interesting. Some aspects of TW1 make their way into TW2, but not most, though in the end idk how much would I understand from TW2 if I hadn't played TW1.

TW3 goes even further and makes the game feel like a huge sprawling living world. The capital city actually feels big, unlike most other open-world games. Even though you can argue a lot about combat and witcher senses, the game still feels fucking awesome. You will get more invested if you play the previous games, and will want to fish out more info anyway.
>>
>>321051149
The first one is great, you just have different[\spoiler] taste
>>
>>321051363

I understand that they're based upon a series of fantasy novels. Couldn't I just read the first couple of those?

>>321051368

Because I'm bored, anon. I want to escape into a world of wonder.
>>
Stop playing the witcher as a video game and play it as if you're interested in the world, which you have to be if you're making this thread.
>>
>>321051363
this guys full of shit. proobably some nerd lorefag cdpr drone whose over attached and defensive for his favorite series. you can play TW2 and 3 just fine without having played TW1 or reading the books, and you can like geralt perfectly fine without having to deal with the shitty gameplay and dated graphics of TW1.
>>
>>321051712
no, full of shit you retarded nerd.
>>
File: hislop.jpg (68 KB, 874x907) Image search: [Google]
hislop.jpg
68 KB, 874x907
Witcher 1 is so beautiful.

>that part in the end where you take refuge in a random house and all the game's characters are there waiting for you

Looking back I'm fairly sure they were hallucinations or something it made no sense, but it was a great moment

>Alvin -> Aldersberg
>Chapter 4
>White Rayla

>mfw people don't like the combat

fucking hell, all you have to do is click when your cursor turns orange get a grip you fucking nerds
>>
3 > 1 > 2

Why 2 the worst?
Small towns, limited exploration, corridor-like world design. Few side-quests. The open world freedom is largely gone. Poorly thought out gameplay and mechanics.

You can definitely notice they spent a lot of the development time making their own game engine from scratch and didn't have time to make a game with the same scope as Witcher 1 or 3.
>>
>>321052015
3 > 1 = 2

They're both good in their own ways. Witcher 2's politics are GOAT, as are the characters, and the step up in production quality, polish and voice acting was phenomenal. Witcher 1 completely failed in the latter even when other games like Mass Effect were leaps and bounds ahead the same year(on the same engine using the same assets), but had much better atmosphere, soundtrack etc.
>>
>>321052337
>>321052015

imho two was worse than 1 because it was painfully unfinished in the last part of the game. ive never felt so distanced from the game unvierse as i did in Loc Muinne.

seriously that city was two hours of level design
>>
>>321051149
Just start 2 dude. Its a lot better. I didn't care for the first but really enjoyed the first and 2nd and with how cheap witcher 2 is on sale usually 5 dollars or you can check it out and see if you like it.
>>
>>321053725
>really enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd
fucked that up, fixed now
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.