[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you look back you see that this was when gaming really started
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: Gowbox.jpg (40 KB, 325x455) Image search: [Google]
Gowbox.jpg
40 KB, 325x455
If you look back you see that this was when gaming really started going downhill.
>>
How come?
>>
File: spacewar_-4ea4ffe-intro.jpg (8 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
spacewar_-4ea4ffe-intro.jpg
8 KB, 640x427
If you look back you see that this was when gaming really started going downhill.
>>
>>>321039337
It started the QTE meme.
Fuck GoW.
Fuck Sony.
Praise Nintendo.
RRREEEEEEEE
>>
>>321039490
>It started the QTE meme.
The press X to not die lies with Resident Evil 4 more so than God of War. I can't think of a single QTE in God of War that results in instant death unlike the ones in RE4.
>>
>>321039832
This. resident evil 4 started the whole 'beat final boss with QTE' thing anyway. Fuck RE4. /v/ only worships it because it's apparent quality has been drilled in their head through years of propaganda.
>>
>>321039263
Real talk: GoW NEVER did QTEs well. Not in the least. We all just praised it, b/c it was cinematic and QTEs were at the time, new and exciting, so we all jumped on the bandwagon. But the way GoW integrates QTEs is fucking awful, really.

Fuck, RE4 didn't even integrate QTEs very well, for the most part, and that game I would say, were much, much better than GoW1. So much better, in fact, but the QTEs are an unfortunate negative mark against it.

I'm still waiting for the game that revolutionizes QTEs and makes them not awful. Vanquish kinda did that since it didn't matter what button you mashed for some of them, as long as you mashed a button, and more games need to do that.
>>
>>321039263
>politely disagree

GoW wasnt that bad in QTE department, you need to give player control of those cinematic finishers, if you do that via cutscene then player would spend most time starring idly on screen while game goes bonkers with blood and guts, and you really cant implement those sequences any other way, turning great looking spectacle of gore into simple slasher by removing all those finishers is certainly not the way.

As to the Resident Evil 4, it wasnt bad either, there is no other way a battle with Krauzer would work, it did it actually quite good.

You wanna see example of bad QTE, look at Order 1886.
>>
>>321040081
If only most of the QTE's were avoidable in GoW it would be better, but you had the obligatory boss finishers, but outside of that during standard battles you have a choice to actually go into a QTE with an enemy or not which personally I find good since you can actually avoid them during battle.
>>
>>321039263

Nah GoW was pretty good and it handled QTE's in a way that actually complimented the gameplay, they were also optional for the most part.
>>
>>321040690
I remember in God of War 2 you had qtes to open doors or handle various obstacles and objects.
>>
>>321040690
Thing is, QTEs serve no real purpose. They're like Fatalities in MK. They're just there to look cool.

Notice how when Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta were all inspired by GoW's QTEs, the end result was some kind of gameplay mechanic that contributed meaningfully to the combat and scoring system as a whole. Look at NG's OTs, Nero's Buster moves in DMC4, and Bayonetta's Torture Attacks. Literally all of them serve some kind of purpose and are optional.

But GoW doesn't really have the depth those do, it just looks really pretty and has QTEs all over the place to substitute for any actual gameplay.

>>321041007
>I remember in God of War 2 you had qtes to open doors
This.

This right here is the fucking worst. Fuck the vast majority of games that do this.
>>
File: NSxU6zi.gif (2 MB, 443x243) Image search: [Google]
NSxU6zi.gif
2 MB, 443x243
>>321039263

>one of the "pioneers" that ushered in the dark age of gritty M rated games

Ugh....
>>
>>321039490
shenmue had cool QTEs befor that
>>
>>321041071
>Thing is, QTEs serve no real purpose. They're like Fatalities in MK. They're just there to look cool.
Finish enemies quicker and get more xp IIRC.

> the end result was some kind of gameplay mechanic that contributed meaningfully to the combat
Mashing torture button in Bayo is equivalent of mashing circle in GoW to open door, rip enemies apart or just overpower enemies when you are in a clinch.

>QTEs all over the place to substitute for any actual gameplay.
How the fuck would you do Hydra sequence, just a masher?
How would you do those action sequences, make it a cinematic and the player wont have anything to do, remove them from gameplay and the game turns into simple slasher, do you have any idea of how to keep those action sequences without relying on QTE or taking control from the player?
If you dont have anything better then QTE is the best choice atm.
>>
>>321041435
SEGA!
>>
I like God of War.
Ascension is my favorite.
>>
File: QTE.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
QTE.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
The only moment I remember a QTE is justified is in Die Hard Arcade, if you miss the button you'll have a failure animation and still have to fight the opponent you just missed
>>
File: 1435121591367.jpg (35 KB, 680x508) Image search: [Google]
1435121591367.jpg
35 KB, 680x508
>>321039263

>play the PS3 collection to see what all the hype is about
>game crashes every time at the Hydra

Fuck.

>try PS2 version instead
>roll my eyes at the scene where he drops the poor old guy into the Hydra's throat just to let us know this guy's a douchenozzle
>very next stage opens with a couple of bitches with their bare chests wobbling in my face

Christ, this is a 14 year old's idea of what maturity is.
>>
>>321041452
>Finish enemies quicker and get more xp IIRC.
Eh.
>Mashing torture button in Bayo is equivalent of mashing circle in GoW to open door, rip enemies apart or just overpower enemies when you are in a clinch.
It's really not since you don't HAVE to use TAs if you don't want to, and they serve essentially the same function as OTs in NG, giving you a breather against enemies while also letting you deal damage against a certain enemy. Also if you take too long while performing them, they can fuck up your score if you're not too careful.

And mashing QTEs in general are some of the only good kind of QTE. Not to mention in Bayonetta, they're restricted to enemies and boss fights mostly, instead of forcing you to mash a button at EVERY FUCKING DOOR.

As for the rest of your post, maybe they should either NOT design the game around QTEs or make some kind of QTE-like system, with a combat mechanic that served a similar cinematic function to QTEs but behaved differently.
>>
>>321039263
Square square triangle the game
>>
File: cover_large[1].jpg (133 KB, 600x552) Image search: [Google]
cover_large[1].jpg
133 KB, 600x552
If you look back you see that this was when the tony hawk series really started going downhill
>>
>>321041669

yeah, at some point retards took the M rating literally and thought that it was actually mature. even the GoW team will tell you its supposed to be over the top and ridiculous, not OMGSODEEPMATUREFORYOU
>>
>>321041798
>It's really not since you don't HAVE to use TAs if you don't want to
GoW introduced so many kind of QTE's that every type of QTE from bayo has its counterpart in GoW.
GoW just have much more QTE's.of the most unnecessary kind, like open some doors or turn some shit.
I mean ok just fucking turn it, why the fuck do I have to sit there mashing circle when it doesnt contribute anything since I cant lose and no one even attacking me.

>maybe they should either NOT design the game around QTEs
Again, what would be a good counterpart, if I cant think of a better solution I cant really say "your system is bad" if this is the optimal way.
>>
I liked Wonderful 101's QTEs, most of them were drawing the unite morphs you were already using during gameplay. Generally easy to pull off but also satisfying to do.

What I don't like about GoW's QTEs, besides the fact that there's so many of them, is the arbitrary/random buttons you have to push combined with the fucking analog stick. The analog stick QTEs were just the worst, they had way too much faith in the precision of PS2 controllers. Final boss in GoW2 is a perfect example, analog stick QTEs everywhere and they'd change every time you fought, pretty sure they were all insta-death as well.

Any QTE that uses the analog stick is automatically shit tier. Like the jiggle the analog stick QTEs to get out of stuns/grabs in Metal Gear Rising.
>>
>>321042391
>Again, what would be a good counterpart, if I cant think of a better solution I cant really say "your system is bad" if this is the optimal way.
Idk dude, I'm sure they could think of something. They would literally need an entirely new gameplay mechanic to replace it or supplement it.

>>321042437
>I liked Wonderful 101's QTEs, most of them were drawing the unite morphs you were already using during gameplay. Generally easy to pull off but also satisfying to do.
That's b/c the best type of QTEs are the ones that are implemented into the basic gameplay.
>>
>If you look back you see that this was when your life really started going downhill.
>>
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 189x267
>>321039263
>>
>>321042594

In my case it started with /b/ a long time ago, should've sticked with /fit/, at least I'd be more Chad inclined than sadcunt fatso froglike
>>
>>321042437
>Arbitrary buttons
Yeah thats bad, it would be better if they kept consistency trough the game, one button for doge another for attack or jump and just use them contextually.

If you thing insta death QTE were bad in GoW I played yakuza 2 yesterday and was going trough golden castle.

Basically you fight group of enemies and suddenly you have to press some fucking button because floor have rigged traps.
It was annoying as fuck to have combat interrupted by springing spears and what not every 30 seconds.
There there are QTE that lock you out of a pretty fucking cool ability and you have a chance to do them only once, same level tiger battle.
You dont QTE drop tigers, you lose pretty powerful counter ability till next gameplay, thats just plain BS.
>>
>>321042846
There are no insta death QTE's in GoW.
>>
>>321043062

Yes there are, I specifically recall dying to Zeus's QTEs in 2. Not sure how it is in 3 because I never failed any of them, I think they toned it down a bit.
>>
>>321043062
I hope you mean just the first game, which I've never played.

Meanwhile, 2 had a fucking shitton of frustrating, awfully-designed instadeath QTEs.
>>
>>321043062
The most recent example, in GoW3 the very first boss battle with Poseidon.
After you beat him like a seaweed salad in actual combat, you get to claw his eyes and break his scull with QTE.
This is the most retarded thing since if you fail you die, I cant remember how it goes exactly but the reason you die is some weak ass punch or no reason whatsoever.
>>
>>321043386
I am referring to the first game.
>>
>>321039490
>it's ok when nips do it
Typical shit eating weep. Fuck off.
>>
>>321044245
Someday I'm going to suffer through every one of them, just to say that I did.
>>
I loved God of War 1 and 2.

I don't know what kind of funhating faggot you had to be to not like it when it came out.

Is it perfect? Of course it isn't. Are there better games? Sure there are. But it was an amazing ride and I find it hard to think about it otherwise. I even liked the QTEs (except maybe for doors/chests). I still reminisce about that one time I turned Theseus's head to pulp using a door while mashing a button.

Never played anything after 2 though.
>>
>>321039263
Typical 5th gen 90's kid nostalgia faggot. Go back. We don't want your 480i and your CRTs. 2000's kid master race reporting in.
>>
I've never played a GoW game but looking at them as they passed by they just looked like Prince of Persia rip-offs with more angst and less exploration and wonder.
>>
>>321045213
>Prince of Persia rip-offs
lol wut?

>less exploration and wonder.
Well, there is less exploration but there is more wonder in a single GoW game than in all PoP games.
Titans, Cyclops, giant gold horse statue you drive while whipping it with your swords, all kinds of gods and mythological creatures.
GoW is solid in that regard.
>>
>>321045642
and it has some puzzles

though there were less and less coming from gow1
>>
>>321039987
I play RE4 every year. The game is still 10/10.
QTEs aren't inherently bad and thinking so is ignorant.
>>
>>321045923
Puzzles in GoW is like that one time in HL2 when you have to balance some counterweight on plank to raise yourself on a higher platform.
Its like the only time I had too look around and use my surrounding and it was never used again but for some reason I had guy with me on TS waiting till I hit that point thinking I will have issues and convincing me that HL2 has intelligent puzzles.
>>
That game was fucking sweet when it came out, but I guess individual accountability isn't a factor here.
>X game killed the industry
Fucking retarded if you ask me, but go ahead and blame something.
>>
>>321042437
analog qte ruined your controller.
>>
>>321045642
Prince of Persia rip-off in that it stole its combat from Warrior Within. The basic square, square, triangle type combos that PoP fine tuned back then.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.